Penny Dreadful II: Take Me To Church

Theda Baratheon

Lol

Not sure why that's funny. Some people have a certain gravitas which contributes to them getting roles in the first place.

I'm surprised we haven't been given more backstory and whatnot with Sembene yet. Has to happen, right? The actor is not being asked to do too much so far, but he seems to be doing it really well. I'm really hoping that they have something planned.

So another episode of Dorian and his relationship not really going anywhere? I guess there is a potential thematic connection with Dorian's lover feeling out of place like Victor's people or something. Speaking of...obviously a massive conflict could be coming. Bronna love or at least likes very much and feels comfortable with Victor...he's not disinterested in her...Caliban ain't going to like this unless perhaps he finds love at the was museum?

ETA: Must agree with the upthread that Ms. Ives is a great wingman. But that's not surprising. I believe it was Isaac Newton or perhaps Frances Bacon who proved the axiom that Eva Green improves all situations.

:lol:

He's a badass hunter/warrior who can also make you a delicious buttercream torte. What's not to love? :D

Saves dessert for breakfast too :D

Anyone else notice that what happened to Dorian and Angelique at the Opera mirrored the story Caliban John told Lily ???

Also - who else noticed Ethans mate with the mask appear with opera music??? Haha - nice touch.

Yes! I thought that was a really nice touch actually. Tbh I was really surprised how much I have enjoyed the Angelique-Dorian relationship, though like everyone else I have wished it seemed more connected to the main group.

Also, yep. Phantom of the Opera vibes, very nice.

As an aside, are there any other character people can think of that may be introduced at some point? We have Dorian, Frankenstein, we had Dracula, we have a werewolf...

ETA: a very quick look on Wikipedia brings Sweeny Todd up but that is about it

Eta:

Yes! I thought that was a really nice touch actually. Tbh I was really surprised how much I have enjoyed the Angelique-Dorian relationship, though like everyone else I have wished it seemed more connected to the main group.

As an aside, are there any other character people can think of that may be introduced at some point? We have Dorian, Frankenstein, we had Dracula, we have a werewolf...

Eta:

Depends on if you are looking for horror or other literature. Horror stuff I could see them potentially going the Cthulu route later on or maybe even from Wells like the Time Traveller or Dr. Moreau. Other lit there's always Sherlock, or Tarzan, etc.

Eta:

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, perhaps

Eta:

I find Dorian utterly bland as a character. He's like the boring one from a nineties boy band. There seems to be no point to him except as an excuse for the producers to put in some soft core sex. I assume he'll be used for something other than that eventually but honestly I don't think the actor playing the role will pull off Dorian the demon, but hope to be proved wrong. Oh and I like Angelique, is a bit silly having a trans person walk around 19th century London with only the odd comment, but suspension of disbelief aside she has a ton more character than Dorian.

I hope they do Jack, he was mentioned a fair bit in season 1, that would be kinda awesome.

That would be interesting.

Hayyoth;

I dunno, i think when I started viewing Dorian's story as separate from the rest I began to enjoy it much more. I didn't find it bland or anything, but then opinions differ.

Suspension of disbelief, yes. I do that too, makes things much more enjoyable.

About Jack, he has also been mentioned this season a fair bit. By both the detective and the Waxworks owner.

Whoever said Sherlock, I actually half expected Rusk to be him when he first showed up

Showtime have uploaded some clips of next week. An Evelyn-Vanessa conversation and Sembene and Ethan before...

(I can't link to them atm, sorry)

ETA: they are both scenes from the "next week.." Video, but a bit longer

I was directed from the Watch, Watched, Watching thread by Ms. Theda to make an appearance here, so just dropping in to say "Hi!". :D

I'm pretty new to the show (binge-watched all of season 1 last weekend and caught up on season 2 this past week) but I'm loving it so far. Can't wait for tonight's episode!!! It's Episode 9 of GoT (which is always a big one!) today too, so going to be a great day of television!

That was a fantastic episode. The group dynamic at the ball was hilarious. Lyle and Hecate sparring, Victor's jealously, Dorian's lust. And the bloody rain was such a great visual. Ethan's reveal was slightly cheese, but Sembene's reaction was great. Next week looks like it will be fantastic too.

They couldn't have given us one more minute, just one more minute to see what was going to happen. Arrgghhhhh!!!

I was worried that the Pinkerton fellow was going to show up again at the house in full wolf form, and the only guy that could stop him was chained to a wall.

I liked Vanessa's bloody vision, but I don't know what Hecate and her sisters were doing. It looked like they were going against their mom's wishes, right under their mom's nose.

Lyle was awesome, I loved it when he compared Hecate to a serpent.

Dorian's story became relevant, yay!

Overall, a good, strong episode, and it pleased my grieving heart after that butchery of a GoT episode.

I feel like Vanessa and Ethan should be able to piece together the witch-y parts of this Malcolm puzzle a lot faster than they are considering how off he was acting. The guy was worried about replacing a bloody carpet more than mourning for his newly deceased wife and they're just scratching their heads over it. Even though they know they're all currently under attack by dark forces that are collecting pieces of hair for dolls and Malcolm just spent all night outside of the foritifed mansion.

I feel like Vanessa and Ethan should be able to piece together the witch-y parts of this Malcolm puzzle a lot faster than they are considering how off he was acting. The guy was worried about replacing a bloody carpet more than mourning for his newly deceased wife and they're just scratching their heads over it.

Well Vanessa seems to be on to it now but the group was on high alert last episode and now they do seem to be oddly relaxed. I'm more surprised that Cali would overlook that Malcolm would lack any emotion in front of Vanessa and Sembene after receiving such horrible news. Seems like a pretty blatant red flag that something is up...or maybe Cali just doesn't care about giving away her hand at this point since her and Vanessa did have a little verbal tussle at the ball. Either way, I'm sure that this witch power struggle will be a huge piece to their downfall.

Poor Victor and his jealousy, they were like a high school couple.

I loved how Sembene hooked those chains up without any questions asked, I wish he was my best friend.

Archived