Penny Dreadful II: Take Me To Church

Theda Baratheon

I liked learning more of Ethan's backstory. Chiricahua, eh? Could Ethan be a deserter? Another slight tease of Sembene's, sigh.

The cultural superstitions/protections montage was entertaining.

I like the Phantom of the Opera reference with Roper in his mask and then the cut to Dorian and Angelique at the opera. I have no idea where the writers are going with Dorian's side story, but it would be nice if they could bring it back into the folds of the main story.

At least John Clare and Lily/Bronna's story is tangentially related. And I do really enjoy Vanessa and John Claire's scenes together.

I realize you're a corpse, John Claire, and may not actually have a heartbeat, but when Eva Green invites you to dance, you don't hesitate. Now you know what it is like to be alive.

I'm wondering whether the writers have been giving us multiple hints regarding Ethan's past. The night comers called Ethan

lupus dei which can be translated as "wolf god", "wolf of god", referring to a benevolent werewolf. However, when Lyle translated lupus dei on this week's episode, he translated it as "hound of god". Interestingly, Dominicans were sometimes referred to as "hounds of God" due to the similarity to the latin Domini canes. Could Ethan have been a Dominican formerly. He had mentioned when asked by Vanessa something along the lines of religion being a part of his past and we've seen that he does seem to know a thing or two about Christianity and Catholicism more specifically. More than a lay person at least. Nothing concrete, just possible coincidences I am throwing out there.

they are setting up Dorian to hook up with Frankenstein's Monster.

Maybe a game of chicken ensues. "I date. It's what I do. You know that. If you get in my way I'll have no choice but to date you. Is that what you want?" Whitey: "My heart has already been moved around a lot, shall it belong to you next? Say the word and I'll rip it out and hand it to you." Grey: "Don't say that if you don't mean it."

Another great episode. Ethan stole the show this week, every scene he was in was really enjoyable. Kali continues her maniacal ways, those scenes with the brain were cringeworthy...and Victor finally got some.

GoT is like a train wreck you can't turn away from at this point(it pains me to say that) while Penny Dreadful just seems like it's warming up to greatness.

GoT happily made me eat my words as well this week, that was awesome.

I'm of the opinion they are setting up Dorians love of outcasts for him to hook up with Frankenstein's Monster.

The creature is like Ser Jorah, permanently stuck in the friendzone.

Totally loving this season, just keeps getting better. Now I'm wondering what Ethan's real name is and if we will get more of his backstory.

My speculation. He was brought up by monks in an Indian mission, maybe his old man was a local rancher or something? Is why he knows latin and Cherokee. He joined the army, ended up taking part in a massacre and got the werewolf curse as a revenge from a medicine man. His dad is now a rich and powerful businessman, maybe even a Senator or Govenor?

Incoming gushing about how great this show is. Skim now if you do not want to read my.nonesense . You were warned :p Another fantastic episode! Loved it so much, I'm glad the show is maintaining its quality across the entire season thus far. I've never disliked or even been indifferent to an episode yet, wonderful stuff.

As for specifics on this episode:

The voodoo doll stuff was creepy and terrifying. These witches are scary ass villains. I knew, just knew, that Sir Malcom's wife was in for a rough ride when Evelyn was at the shooting range. But god damnit it was awful what was done to her. Poor woman. :(

So Lyle is Jewish? (sorry if that is wrong, not great on religious stuff) I enjoyed the scene of them securing the mansion. And the Vanessa scene with her paranoia during the prayer was great too...but Ethan and Vanessa "scared of the dark" scene was the standout there. So much emotion.

As for Frankenstein, CaliClare and BronaLily, I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I'll admit, I almost teared up a bit.

Loving the detective!

About Brona, and Vanessa not recognising her, it might be retcon, but also bear in mind that they only met very briefly, at night, and Brona looked very different then - long, brown hair, and not dressed as a "Lady" as opposed to short, blonde haired lady in broad daylight. Its not so implausible to think Vanessa wouldnt recognise her. But then again, may be retcon, I suppose we will never know. I loved the scene with Victor Vanessa and Lily though. I hope we get scenes between Vanessa and Brona on their own, as the shopping idea would suggest. Personally, I think if she was to see Ethan it might trigger her memories. We'll see.

Vanessa and Caliban :wub: I could watch them all day :wub: I wish my English Lit classes had been half as interesting as their conversations. I have to say though, I do not feel remotely.sympathetic for Caliban. Reprehensible as it is for Victor to groom Lily like he has, Caliban is almost as bad. It is obvious she does not want him, that she has made that choice, yet he still wants to pursue her. Why should he be given a choice, while he expects her to bow to his will? Loved the dancing thing though!

Well, I agree with everyone else now. That guy is so going to wolf out against Ethan and the others...

Dorian and Angelique :love: I have to say, i think they are really sweet together, and I am actually enjoying their little love story. Looking forward to seeing where it goes, although I suspect Angelique is not in for a pleasant ending. My gripe with this particular storyline is that it continues to be disconnected from the main group. I am enjoying it as its own little standalone story, but it would be nice if they could tie him back into the main group again. The pair are very sweet together though.

Evelyn and Malcom...worrying. Very worrying.

Ethan and Lyle! Ah, gold, wonderous. Aside from that, its great that they are slowly unravelling the mystery surrounding Ethan. It could perhaps have been done a bit quicker, but I'm interested all the same

Ms. murray's madness was horrifying to watch. Dead Peter and Mina was creepy as hell, I was shivering...The razor to the throat...and the music backing it all...fantastic.

Victor looked really frightening during that last scene, imo. A romantic relationship between him and Lily is just inherently wrong to me, given what he has done, who she is etc.

Great acting all around, as always. Pleasantly surprised by Billie Piper actually, thought she gave a strong performance. And the music! :bowdown: I'm loving the music on this show. Also, costume department has done a brilliant job.

Okay, that is your weekly episode gushing done :p

PD FB page just posted a clip for Sunday's episode and it looks like Dorian will start to interact with the main cast again.

Thank the gods. I enjoy his story with Angelique but he has seemed totally disconnected this season so far. And did anyone else think that Angelique had an Oscar Wilde look when back in male clothes?

Incoming gushing about how great this show is. Skim now if you do not want to read my.nonesense . You were warned :p Another fantastic episode! Loved it so much, I'm glad the show is maintaining its quality across the entire season thus far. I've never disliked or even been indifferent to an episode yet, wonderful stuff.

As for specifics on this episode:

The voodoo doll stuff was creepy and terrifying. These witches are scary ass villains. I knew, just knew, that Sir Malcom's wife was in for a rough ride when Evelyn was at the shooting range. But god damnit it was awful what was done to her. Poor woman. :(

So Lyle is Jewish? (sorry if that is wrong, not great on religious stuff) I enjoyed the scene of them securing the mansion. And the Vanessa scene with her paranoia during the prayer was great too...but Ethan and Vanessa "scared of the dark" scene was the standout there. So much emotion.

As for Frankenstein, CaliClare and BronaLily, I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I'll admit, I almost teared up a bit.

Loving the detective!

About Brona, and Vanessa not recognising her, it might be retcon, but also bear in mind that they only met very briefly, at night, and Brona looked very different then - long, brown hair, and not dressed as a "Lady" as opposed to short, blonde haired lady in broad daylight. Its not so implausible to think Vanessa wouldnt recognise her. But then again, may be retcon, I suppose we will never know. I loved the scene with Victor Vanessa and Lily though. I hope we get scenes between Vanessa and Brona on their own, as the shopping idea would suggest. Personally, I think if she was to see Ethan it might trigger her memories. We'll see.

Vanessa and Caliban :wub: I could watch them all day :wub: I wish my English Lit classes had been half as interesting as their conversations. I have to say though, I do not feel remotely.sympathetic for Caliban. Reprehensible as it is for Victor to groom Lily like he has, Caliban is almost as bad. It is obvious she does not want him, that she has made that choice, yet he still wants to pursue her. Why should he be given a choice, while he expects her to bow to his will? Loved the dancing thing though!

Well, I agree with everyone else now. That guy is so going to wolf out against Ethan and the others...

Dorian and Angelique :love: I have to say, i think they are really sweet together, and I am actually enjoying their little love story. Looking forward to seeing where it goes, although I suspect Angelique is not in for a pleasant ending. My gripe with this particular storyline is that it continues to be disconnected from the main group. I am enjoying it as its own little standalone story, but it would be nice if they could tie him back into the main group again. The pair are very sweet together though.

Evelyn and Malcom...worrying. Very worrying.

Ethan and Lyle! Ah, gold, wonderous. Aside from that, its great that they are slowly unravelling the mystery surrounding Ethan. It could perhaps have been done a bit quicker, but I'm interested all the same

Ms. murray's madness was horrifying to watch. Dead Peter and Mina was creepy as hell, I was shivering...The razor to the throat...and the music backing it all...fantastic.

Victor looked really frightening during that last scene, imo. A romantic relationship between him and Lily is just inherently wrong to me, given what he has done, who she is etc.

Great acting all around, as always. Pleasantly surprised by Billie Piper actually, thought she gave a strong performance. And the music! :bowdown: I'm loving the music on this show. Also, costume department has done a brilliant job.

Okay, that is your weekly episode gushing done :p

Gush away! Just finished here, and it was another terrific episode. When Kali was sticking the pins into poor Gladys' brain she looked absolutely terrifying. Helen McCrory is just astounding.

PD FB page just posted a clip for Sunday's episode and it looks like Dorian will start to interact with the main cast again.

Just watched the clip...looks great. That set looks visually stunning. And Chandler :eek: Cannot wait!

ETA: ooh, also!

will Dorian recognise Brona? Will she have any recollection of him and his mansion? Hmmmm...

WOLF OUT omg I can't wait! :D

Archived