[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Speaking of the Sand Snakes, is it too early to declare them the worst abomination in the show's run? I never thought the House of the Undying would be outdone but it looks like we have a new champion.

Fuck. They were worse than the House of the Undying the first time we saw them, so every time we see them, that gets multiplied. The question is, to me, is Keisha Castle Hughes now the worst actor ever cast on the show?

My larger point is this... anyone who has a bigger problem with Sansa and fArya being condensed than Jamie, Bron, and the Sand Snake's keystone cop routine is probably being sensitive. (Much like how people threw their copies of Storm of Swords across the room after reading the red wedding.) Yeah, what happened to Sansa was horrible.... but who wants to read a story about the pretty princess who ate lemon cakes while nothing bad ever happened....?

No one is reading that story. There's no such story in ASOAIF.

However, if someone wants to watch girls getting raped just for the sake of it, with no narrative purpose and as a part of a convoluted storyline that makes no sense and is there just so she could be raped and so there would be maximum pain and humiliation, that someone may have a problem.

Fuck. They were worse than the House of the Undying the first time we saw them, so every time we see them, that gets multiplied. The question is, to me, is Keisha Castle Hughes now the worst actor ever cast on the show?

Without a doubt IMO

http://www.themarysue.com/we-will-no-longer-be-promoting-hbos-game-of-thrones/

The Mary Sue has seceded from GoT. They have dissolved all connection with the usurper.

Good. Fandom needs to let Ding & Dong know that their mangling of the story comes at a cost.

You know that marriage doesn't prevent rape or abuse, right?

She chose to marry, and so to have sex with him, not to be mistreated.

Please don't dignify the trolls. Getting into a discussion about what constitutes rape will get this locked.

Hey, did anyone else think the scene where Jaime goes to take Myrcella kinda seemed like it was written for a teenage flick?

Like that awkward moment when you are at the mall with your boyfriend or girlfriend making out and the uncle or father shows up while you are kissing and tries to take you home?

I was half expecting Jaime or Bronn to say "Come right here young lady, you're grounded when we get to KL!"

:rofl:

I thought it was incredibly awkward.

Speaking of the Sand Snakes, is it too early to declare them the worst abomination in the show's run? I never thought the House of the Undying would be outdone but it looks like we have a new champion.

House of the Undying was easily outdone by Karl Tanner and Yara's assault on Dreadfort. As horrible as this was, Karl Tanner was the worse character and Dreadfort attack was the dumber and insaner subplot.

Personal critics to actors locked the previous threads, so please refrain yourself.

And to respond, I'm sure it's not her fault, she's just directed to play that way.

Personal critics to actors locked the previous threads, so please refrain yourself.

And to respond, I'm sure it's not her fault, she's just directed to play that way.

I think we are able to criticize their acting/performance/delivery in the show but not the actors themselves in real life.

This show is not subtle. No need to try to read between the lines - there's nothing there, except for those of us book fans who know what is between George's lines. I think that is why this show seems so lackluster this season. We no longer have book material to flesh out what is happening on the screen. A prime example is the scenes in Braavos. There is book material there for both D&D and us, the audience to refer back to for filler. That is why that part of the series is still vital and functional.

The rest seems so skeletonal because it is like an outline rather than a fully fleshed out story. And yet the people I watch with are not book readers and are enjoying it very much.

I think George can stop worrying about losing his readers due to being spoiled by this series.

Tried to quote but system defeated me. I've read most of the thread. Sheer agony.

This season is a bust overall.

1. Where is the water in the water gardens? I've seen pictures of the palace and although I didn't see enough water to match my vision of the water gardens, there were pools. So far, not even a pool in any shot. The characters are supposed to be splashing around in the pools. Hard Myrcella and Trystan been cavorting in a pool, there would have been lots of interesting ways to shoot. To those who say the gardens are too green. I beg to differ. Garden oases in desert climates are common. Also, the way Dorne has been otherized as a general place instead of giving the palace its proper name is precisely how racism works narratively.

2. Indira is a decent actress; I don't believe the actresses playing the sand snakes are incompetent. I blame the script and director for those pitiful scenes.

Poor Tommen. The script character assassinated him. He barely moved when Margery was taken. And someone else mentioned the absence of King's guards.

Olena is supposed to be a force; she was weaker than Cersei; dumber than rocks. Terrible, terrible writing.

Stannis won't have to attack King's Landing. It is going to be in such chaos, he will walk right in.

What the hell is Jamie going to do now? Rot in a dungeon while his daughter marries Trystane? I'm sure Doran has a plan, but I can't imagine reasonable alternatives.

Sansa/Sansa/Sansa. Have you guys not read the classic piece on rape and GOT? Why are you surprised? I really, really wanted Sansa to manipulate herself out of that wedding, postpone it somehow, something. But that didn't happen. RAPE DOES NOT EMPOWER. RAPE DOES NOT MAKE YOU STRONGER OR MORE ABLE TO RESIST IT IN THE FUTURE. D&D NEED SOME SERIOUS THERAPY. Short of castrating and then killing Ramsey, I can't even imagine what could put her back on track. And yes, to repeat someone above: get the girl (she is still a girl) some moon tea. To escape Joffrey and be delivered to the worst sociopath in the story is a pointless plot twist. No clever dialog during that scene in which Sansa at least tries to manipulate Ramsey. There are hundreds of ways that it could have gone. "Please dear Ramsey (sociopathic castrator and flaying machine), I know nothing about all of this. Can you teach me? Shall we lie together and learn about each other?" Why not scream? What has she got to lose at that point? Absolutely lousy writing except for the cutaway to Theon's face.

To your first point, I think people are complaining about the lush, green Dorne is because well, that's all we've seen. We don't see the Water Gardens surrounded by desert (Jaime and Bronn ride in with an endless sea of green behind them). We haven't seen any indication that this is a desert climate. The beaches were wet and green, and the sky has been overcast. It just seems wet and cold, to be honest.

I completely agree about Olenna.

Seriously, what a great list. It should be on the wall of the writers’ room of every adaptation ever. In really big letters. Every primary teacher will tell you how useful anchor charts are.

We can discuss how they’ve broken every one of these rules, if we like...

He works for Batfinger, right? Like, that’s well established.

They basically did Shae over again, I think. Which, yeah, it went over so well last time....

And Robblisa 2.0 too... because why mess with success?

Could you go further into Robblisa 2.0 and how you think that relates?

Moon tea... oh god please don't let Sansa be pregnant.

That would be the shit sprinkles on this shit sundae.

So I'm a bit behind (these threads go super fast) but can anyone explain how Batfinger was ALREADY in KL? Did he invent faster than light technology?

And then to add a heaping helping of irony to that fact, Carol states "Winterfell is a 1000 miles away". Doesn't seem to be stopping LF! Matter of fact, he will be back in WF by Ep7 to overthrow the Bolton's and maybe in Meereen Ep10 to solve the Knot.

I don't understand how they can feel comfortable with how they portray distance in the show. Sometimes, it takes forever, sometimes, it takes 45 seconds. At least in the first season they made allusions to how long it took to get to WF from KL by having traveling episodes in between arrivals, and them talking about how a month has passed, etc.

On top of all of the really bad crap that happened, I'd like to add on one of those semi-trivial things that yet still showcases bad writing, but...

SEVEN SAVE ME, THE ANACHRONISMS.

Now, it's not just "country" and "capital".

Now we have people counting distance in "miles" instead of leagues, and even more hilariously, "sensitive diplomatic mission". I swear. It's like GoT borrowed the West Wing dictionary for the Carol scenes this episode.

At this rate, by episode 10 we're gonna have people "googling it". I just...

I also would like to remind everyone that the attractiveness/looks of Myrcella being the reason for recasting is just my speculation. Speculation with decent reasoning, but still just speculation. I mostly just dislike unnecessary breaks in continuity.

So does she lol http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-07-31/game-of-thrones-actress-responds-to-being-recast-by-begging-for-princess-jobs-on-the-street

You know that marriage doesn't prevent rape or abuse, right?

She chose to marry, and so to have sex with him, not to be mistreated.

Of course, but at the moment Ramsay , a part being not very kind, has not done anything particular terrifying to her(that's the way Ramsay has sex-with Miranda he wasn't tender too )

I mean, if the show went the full Jayne treatment i could understand(with the use of Theon and dogs)

And what the North would do when they couldn't even defend themself from Ramsay? At least now Sansa knows it wasn't a bright idea to accept to marry a psychopath family like the Boltons and she will have a motivation to run away (not only from the Boltons but especially from LF )

Archived