[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

There needs to be multiple threads... One thread for people that are pissed off that D&D aren't simply transcribing GrrM's books into scripts and a thread for people who realistically understand the need for cuts to be made and wish to have a fruitful discussion over the changes made rather than complaining that Butterbumps didn't get his song.

This.

There needs to be multiple threads... One thread for people that are pissed off that D&D aren't simply transcribing GrrM's books into scripts and a thread for people who realistically understand the need for cuts to be made and wish to have a fruitful discussion over the changes made rather than complaining that Butterbumps didn't get his song.

One thing is certain, this is not the thread for this kind of comments.

Not happy with our critics? Start another thread.

Has anybody made the latest attempt to twist Martin's words from his newest post into incontrovertible evidence that he hates the show? I always find those posts endlessly entertaining.

There are multiple threads. An entire forum, in fact.

Has anybody made the latest attempt to twist Martin's words from his newest post into incontrovertible evidence that he hates the show? I always find those posts endlessly entertaining.

LOL... And that was supposed to be shout-out to the show? And let we see how people turn that post into some evidence he is actually loving the show. I would like to see the logic enforced there.

What can one even say here...

Every Dorne scene this season has just been epically awful beyond even my low expectations; I like Doran and Areo, but other than that, what an embarrassment for all involved. That entire sequence in the water gardens was such laughable garbage...they really cut Arianne and Quentyn for this? Can Doran please ship Jaime back to KL and kill the Sand Snakes and cackling evil Ellaria off-screen, and we just pretend this never happened?

I had to laugh at how Jaime keeps admitting that his grand plan to rescue Myrcella is sh*t. "I like to improvise"...LOL, yup...and you're as bad at it as the show writers.

In the meantime, they've managed to rob the Kings Landing and Winterfell storylines of all interesting side characters, intrigue, and subtlety. (But hey, we get awesome original creations like Olyvar and Myranda, speaking D&D's amazing dialogue!) Have all the Northern families just ceased to exist? Cersei is cool and calculating instead of going off the rails...and her small council is just Pycelle and Qyburn now I guess?

LOL at Tommen and the Kingsguard apparently being helpless to raise a finger against the all-powerful Sparrows, who control the whole city now apparently. What happened to the Tyrell army? I laughed at the evidence presented against Loras. He got upset when Renly died, and wore his armor into battle? Oh noes! Oh, and he has a birthmark?? Well that seals it, doesn't it? Will the Faith execute him, or will we get a scene where they try to "pray away the gay"?

I won't even get into Sansa. What a travesty. I was actually expecting a far worse scene, but I guess we should be glad they didn't have Ramsay go full psycho on her as he did on Jeyne. But still, why is she even there again? Somehow I doubt D&D have considered the many ramifications of this change beyond 2-3 episodes from now.

Sansa missed a great opportunity to crack a joke about Tyrion's junk, too. That scene could have used some comic relief, and oh how the show-only people would have roared. Come on, D&D!

I could go on and on. Too much fail to list, and that's without even seeing Mereen or the Wall this week.

Arya's stuff was okay, actually - the only story that hasn't veered off into offensively stupid territory yet. I expected a sizable dropoff in quality this season once they made it clear they were going to be departing further and further from the books, but I admit I was quite unprepared for just how bad it was going to get and how fast. At this point I'm just watching to find out how badly they're going to mangle it.

TWOW can't get here soon enough.

Some people have attempted to twist that post about D&D doing the 'best they can" and talking about the butterfly effect in the show getting larger and larger as praise. LOL.

Myrcella II wasn't very impressive. I really don't get the recast.

If you rewatch, youll see Myrcella I wasnt beautiful. They wanted to present Myrcella II as beautiful for Trystane to love.

I dont get it. The marriage was diplomatic, why recast?

Cuts and changes are fine, but not when more than half of the story lines make no sense.... How does Dorne make sense without Arianne? How does it make sense to switch Sansa for fArya?

I disagree, Jon is ;).

Jon is a dude with no charisma or fighting ability or experience who is going to take over Westeros despite having a laughable claim to the IT, and spend his rule installing incredibly harsh taxes to get $$$ and imprisoning/executing/trying to get his hands on everyone with a better claim to the throne than him?

If you rewatch, youll see Myrcella I wasnt beautiful. They wanted to present Myrcella II as beautiful for Trystane to love.

Knowing them, for the same reason they recasted Tommen, aged up Missandei and Trystane is around 16-18 now. (wuw story)

She was plenty pretty enough, this girl isn't 'beautiful' either. I don't know. Her acting seemed on bar with the Sand Snakes, so, I have to wonder why bother recasting when you had an actress that was really into the role and enthusiastic, I don't think we're looking at the next Katherine Hepburn here.

On top of that:

1. Tyrells could have lied just about anything to discredit Oliver.

2. Oliver's words didn't actually prove anything regarding Margery.

So, while the scene proved interesting development, on a bit closer look, you see how it has been poorly written.

Exactly. They should take the word of the Tyrells over the word of Olyvar, whether he was tortured or not (he didn't seem to be though - he seemed perfectly mentally stable. Reek, he was not).

And you're right that he didn't prove anything about Margaery. Saying she was there doesn't mean anything. It's his word against hers. Man, these FM are such good lawyers!

This scene is really odd in context. Like, the tone of it seems to be that Myranda is using a bit of psychological warfare on Sansa, and Sansa standing up to her bullying is supposed to be a moment that is empowering. But everything Myranda tells her is 100% true. It's a nice warning, actually, and one Sansa should immediately see, since at the very least she's noticed what Ramsay has done to Theon. But whatever, I guess. Sassy tub fight is sassy.

You bring up a good point about what Myranda saying to be absolutely true. Sure, she presented the information in a weird way rather than a "warning" way, but she was still telling the truth. And Sansa thought she could handle it because sassy Sansa is best Sansa?

It's their fault. But they might have not done so had Tyrion not been this popular. Look all I'm saying is that I bet most of the Unsullied viewers see no problem with St. Tyrion at all and D&D wants to keep it that way.

Yeah, from what I've seen from my shownly friends who love St. Tyrion (because they all do, of course), they seem to be disappointed when I tell them how much more complex he was in the books. They said they would have enjoyed seeing that much more, and they think Peter could easily have portrayed the Tyrion of the books. I think D&D just don't trust their audience enough (understatement of the year).

You seem to be under the assumption they give a crap about truth. They don't. They want to kill every gay man (or woman? those don't exist apparently) they can get their hands on. It's as simple as that. They could have brought up a scullion who had seen him undress by accident and play out the same story and pulled the same conclusion. It's the Spanish Inquisition 2.0.

This is a good point that has me thinking. If they HAD to imprison Loras because he's gay (which, dumb), I think it would have actually been more interesting if they left his gayness ambiguous, as in the novels (or just had him devoted to Renly, as in the novels) and then have this event come up where a person talks about his birthmark. Then the audience can be left questioning whether he actually has "sinned" or if this guy is just lying. I don't know, that would have made it at least a little more suspenseful and interesting if we didn't know for sure whether Loras had sex with anyone else, and whether or not the witness was lying.

But that doesn't make any sense in a world where Walter White is still seen as a sympathetic character.

Exactly. As I said above, my shownly friends who love St. Tyrion seem disappointed when I tell them of his shades of grey in the book, as they seem to think that would be more compelling.

Archived