A+J=T v. 4

UnmaskedLurker

One has to realize that the purpose behind Tyrion's paternity as far a the plot is concerned is different to the purpose behind Jon's.

Jon is intended to be the Prince that was Promised. It is necessary that his paternity becomes known and accepted by the Realm. In contrast, Tyrion is intended to be a Great Bastard born of Rape. No one need ever know his true paternity, other than himself and maybe Daenerys and Jon.

It is more important for him to know it, and for the dragons to know it, than for the Realm to know it, because his purpose is not to become King. Instead, he will likely end up as a very competent Hand, Dragonrider, and eventual Lord of Casterly Rock, with no one beyond the inner circle the wiser about his true paternity. Other than some rumours which cannot be proven to the extent of robbing him of Casterly Rock.

ITA. I'm not even sure WE the readers will ever know for sure. Though I do think the hints were much more blatant and frequent in TWOIAF so maybe that will be a trend in books found forward...

I did not say he won't find out. Although, come to think of it, that would be interesting, too. I said it does not need to become widely known or universally accepted if the hero does the heroic thing and dies/sacrifices himself. Since this is not Tolkien, I fully expect Dany and/or Jon Snow to die. And if that's the case, Tyrion could easily become Prince Regent for his child with Daenerys (or Daenerys' child, or Jon Snow's child) or live a happy polygamous life as King Tyrion I Truefyre (or Targaryen).

A Great Council at the end would be very anticlimactic. If Jon Snow is going to save the world more or less on his own (which he most likely will not, or else there wouldn't have been a Daenerys Stormborn in the story), and if the Others pose a universal threat to humanity that is felt by all Westeros and large portions of Essos, then Jon Snow could become king/ruler of the vast portions of the world regardless of his heritage. The threat of the Others would have shattered civilization itself in such a scenario, and the person saving humanity would be literally worshipped as the saviour of humanity. Dany, Aegon, Stannis, Tyrion, Tommen, Myrcella, Shireen, Euron - their claims would be ignored by everyone if they just stood around in the background or conveniently did nothing to help save mankind.

My point against polygamy connected to Jon is mostly against the fact that I doubt that he could use his heritage as a pretext to actively try to claim the throne while he is fighting the Others (even if he learns the truth), or that he'll be able to rally supporters to his cause should the Others never arrive (or could have shown up in hypothetical scenario in an Aegon-like fashion to try to claim the throne - hiding and disguising a known prince, or imposing him, is a completely different thing than claiming you are a prince nobody knows ever even existed).

But you should seriously reconsider your view on the saviour/promised prince thing in itself. We don't yet know what it means to be 'the promised prince', nor do we know what the three dragon heads are supposed to be. Everything goes much smoother if you the promised prince is actually a three-headed dragon, that is, a saviour figure in three persons - Daenerys, the pure-blooded dragon, Jon Snow the Stark-Targaryen, and Tyrion Lannister the Lannister-Targaryen. This way, AGoT introduced the core heroes in AGoT, and we have a narrative around them leading up to the final battle against the Others (heavily foreshadowed in AGoT with Jon joining the NW, Tyrion visiting the Wall and befriending Jon, and Daenerys dreaming to fight enemies clad in ice a the Trident).

If we go with one superhero and two companions/assistants (other dragon heads) their role isn't going to become as important as that of the others - and this does not seem to fit with George's inclusive POV structure. Dany, Jon, and Tyrion are clearly the main characters, and if two of them are simply destined to become 'also dragonriders' then the story would appear to be weird. Especially in light of the fact that Daenerys actually is the one surrounded by prophecy, destiny, and dragons while Jon Snow has yet to figure out how to properly skinchange. And I really can't bring myself to even consider the possibility that Dany is nothing but Jon Snow's dragon-delivery girl. That would be both contrived as well as a very unsatisfying end for her story.

George is preparing for really big finale, that much is clear. The Others will be a huge threat, and Dany is rallying disparate peoples to her cause who will then end up fighting also against the common enemy (in the very end, of course, prior to that there seems to be the Second Dance). Tyrion will have a very crucial 'inner-Targaryen' role there. All of Westeros may despise him, but he is actually the only character who is friends with pretty much every Targaryen in the story (save for Bloodraven). He is/was friends with Aemon, Jon, Aegon, and Varys/Illyrio, and he eventually will get close® to Daenerys. If there is a character whose knowledge will become crucial about the threat the Others pose it is Tyrion (and aside from him, obviously Marwyn with Dany, and Samwell/Sarella eventually with those in the South of Westeros).

When the stories finally converge again, there will be room for more than one main hero.

what if tywin actually planned on using tyrions "targ blood" as a way to get lannisters on the throne? like tywin could possibly have been planning a dance of the dragons 2.0. that is why joanna kept on with the pregnancy. its a stretch but tywin is great at taking any situation and putting himself in a position to benefit from it.

so joanna gets pregnant at KL, aery's wife kicks her out of court (at this time the pregnancy is unknown) because she was sick of her court becoming whores. Tywin has the rumor spread that he is the reason for the realms prosperity (this is buttering up the lords for when the side choosing comes). Joanna was a lannister by blood not marriage therefore any offspring she has is part lannister despite the father. Tywin probably couldn't be sure who the biological father is but with both families having blonde hair it might be enough to pass off the child off as a targ either way. Then enter tyrion the deformed, twisted monstrosity.... imagine the blow to Tywin, he plans for his houses legacy and he loses his wife (with text suggesting he was really infatuated with her) and to top it off, the child who was to sit his proud house on the throne for generations is a dwarf. it all becomes ashes in his mouth. Do you think Tywin could drum support from major lords to sit tyrion on the throne? this could be where all the hatred for tyrion stems from.

i know this sounds unbelievable but i did just write it as it came to me with no refining or research.

I am hoping someone can answer a question for me. In the previous thread the hint around the mothers dying giving birth to Jon, Dany, and Tyrion was discussed and also how there are other mothers who die giving birth other than just Jon, Dany and Tyrion. I have taken that hint as supporting A+J=T but I will admit I never considered if there were any other main characters whose mothers die giving birth. Does anyone know if any of the other POVs' mothers die giving birth to them? I went through the list and it doesn't seem so to me. Are there any other major but non-POV characters whose mothers died giving birth to them?

I am hoping someone can answer a question for me. In the previous thread the hint around the mothers dying giving birth to Jon, Dany, and Tyrion was discussed and also how there are other mothers who die giving birth other than just Jon, Dany and Tyrion. I have taken that hint as supporting A+J=T but I will admit I never considered if there were any other main characters whose mothers die giving birth. Does anyone know if any of the other POVs' mothers die giving birth to them? I went through the list and it doesn't seem so to me. Are there any other major but non-POV characters whose mothers died giving birth to them?

I believe they are the only 3 POV characters whose mother's died giving birth. But not the only characters in the books whose mother's died giving birth.

LV--

GRRM has already told everyone that Jon will find out his true parentage. So the notion that he will perform "special" actions without knowing how he can do them seems unlikely. Once he finds out he is really a Targaryen -- which GRRM's statement virtually guarantees that he will (assuming RLJ is correct), then Jon will understand that any special powers associated with Dragons would be from Rhaegar (or from the combination of Stark/Targ blood).

As to your promised prince comment, Jon almost certainly is the promised prince. We have Lyanna' statement -- promise me, Ned. We have Rhaegar stating that the promised prince has the Song of Ice and Fire -- and Jon is the combination of Ice (Lyanna) and Fire (Rhaegar). And the other likely alternative -- Dany -- is specifically theorized by Aemon to be the promised prince, which screams red herring.

But I agree that Jon could come to the attention of a GC as a potential King based primarily on his heroics in the Battle for the Dawn 2.0. Nevertheless, being the legit son of Rhaegar likely would be relevant in making Jon an acceptable choice to Lords who would be reluctant to crown the bastard son of Ned Stark. I know your views on the polygamy issue -- but it does not matter how some people view polygamy -- what the lords would need is a "fig leaf" to argue that Jon is not a bastard -- and a polygamous marriage would provide that cover. Even if others disagree with the view that the marriage is valid, it does not matter -- the supporters simply need to have an argument and this argument, if Jon becomes king, will become the officially accepted view of Westeros.

I think if Jon, Dany or Tyrion is riding a dragon in Westeros, no one will argue with their parentage. it is common knowledge that only BOTD can tame/ride/bond with a living dragon. Any dragon riding = immediate universal acceptance of Targ heritage and rights to the throne. This has been proved countless times in Westeros history wrt the Targs.

LV--

Obviously, I was not clear in my last post. I agree with you 100% that J, D & T are the 3 main characters and the three heads of the dragon. I consider it possible that these three also are -- all three -- the promised prince (i.e., 3 promised princes), but I tend to think the promised prince and AAR are a single character (and the same character), and if that is the case, it is Jon. But being the promised prince does not really make D & T merely side kicks. Each of the 3 heads will play crucial roles. Each will be a "battle general" leading the charge. Each will be essential to the victory.

I never thought Jon would use his heritage as a vehicle for power. Jon does not actively seek power -- power is thrust upon him. He certainly liked the idea of being LC, but he never would have actively campaigned for it. Similarly, I don't think he will try to use his heritage to claim the throne. The only way to win the game of thrones is not to play the game of thrones. Jon will never play the game of thrones. Which is why I suspect that Dany and Tyrion die in the final battle. In their own ways (Dany especially), they have played the game of thrones. Neither will win the game of thrones. Both also have too much to atone for -- a final sacrifice seems fitting for both of them as final redemption.

When the dust clear, I think all the other contenders for the throne will be dead. That will leave Jon -- as the lone survivor among the main war generals -- as the natural choice to lead. The revelation that he also is the "true born" son of Rhaegar Targaryen will be used by others (not Jon) to rally doubters to his side. Some people might not want to accept a polygamous marriage as legit, but in this context, I think the people will relent because Jon will be the hero of the war and obvious choice for king.

So I agree that there is not just one hero -- even if only one of them survives. I agree that Jon will not win the war single-handedly. I agree that Jon will not use his heritage to try to argue that he should be king. I just don't think those conclusions preclude Jon from being TPTWP, and I don't think they preclude his heritage as the legit son of Rhaegar from being a factor (not the main factor, but a factor) in being put forth as king.

I think if Jon, Dany or Tyrion is riding a dragon in Westeros, no one will argue with their parentage. it is common knowledge that only BOTD can tame/ride/bond with a living dragon. Any dragon riding = immediate universal acceptance of Targ heritage and rights to the throne. This has been proved countless times in Westeros history wrt the Targs.

Jon riding a dragon may prove that Jon has Targ blood -- but it does not prove that he is the son of Rhaegar and it certainly does not prove that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married. That information, which could become relevant, will have to come from other sources. Targ blood is not the same as right to the throne (think Blackfyres).

I believe they are the only 3 POV characters whose mother's died giving birth. But not the only characters in the books whose mother's died giving birth.

Thanks!!

I've noticed A+J=T is starting to take hold in mainstream media now too. Not quite as far and wide as R+L=J (especially after the show started dropping hints too) but I see it come up now in articles on HuffPo, etc, in those "The 7 Craziest Game of Thrones Fan Theories Ever!" listicles. The one on Bustle today was especially interesting to me because it situated A+J=T in the context of the 3 heads of the dragon and relayed part of the book version of the HOTU.

Why do you think Jon Snow will survive the whole thing? I actually think that he is not really necessary in the end as both House Targaryen and Stark don't necessarily need him to continue - and we also can't know for sure that the NW will disbanded by the end of the book. If Jon lives and dies as Lord Commander of the NW then there would be no reason to have him survive the story if the end would still have him doing his duty and rebuilding the Wall/the NW.

And keeping Lyanna/Rhaegar in mind Jon may shy away from responsibility if he and the other surviving dragon heads have done their job - fake their deaths and settle down for a quiet life. If somebody has a good chance to survive the story it is Tyrion. He is George's favourite, after all. In real life crimes aren't always punished, nor do they have to die. I could see a lot of villainy characters actually survive the series - Littlefinger, Jaime, Olenna Tyrell - because they either cover their tracks to well or they are in a position of power that allows them to survive.

But if all the dragon heads die I hope they will have produced an heir by them - and the series could conclude with Davos Seaworth ruling the Realm as Lord Regent and Hand of the King with a strong foreshadowing that he is going to become the next Septon Barth (in regards to his capability as a ruler).

Oh, and Jon is playing the game of thrones already - as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and informal king of the wildlings, but still, he is playing the game. And he is not even all that bad at it, although he failed to perceive the danger to his own person, and could not inspire loyalty to his plans in the men closest to him (i.e. the old guard of the NW). But he knows how to deal with the wildlings, the Northern clansmen, and even the more powerful nobles in the North (Alys and Cregan Karstark). I imagine this to continue, although the whole Mance thing may backfire on him.

Jon as a dragonrider does not necessarily prove his Targaryen ancestry if he claims his dragon as a skinchanger - unless it has been established first in the whole Realm that dragon cannot be controlled by skinchangers.

LV--

All of the alternatives you outline are possible. I don't think GRRM has given us enough clues to figure out exactly how the series will end or precisely who survives (even if he has told us some who won't survive -- like Cersei). My thoughts on the ultimate endgame outcome really are not much more than shots in the dark based on how the story "hits" me in terms of who seems likely to live or die and how it will end. But I really don't have any degree of confidence that the scenario I outlined about will come to pass -- it is just my current working theory based on the little information we have.

Prophecies are tricky things, apparently. The Ghost could - for some occult reason - only state that the promised prince would be born of Aerys and Rhaella's line. She could not specify whether it would be their son, grandson, great-grandson, great-great-grandson, and so on. And neither could she apparently convey the circumstances of said person's birth so that he could be recognized as the promised prince by his parents.

The theory about 'the three-headed saviour' or 'the saviour trinity' operates under the assumption that the Ghost correctly foresaw the birth of one aspect of the trinity/one head of the dragon, most likely Daenerys (as she would be the child directly born to Aerys and Rhaella). Jon Snow would also figure into that category, although not in the same ultimate sense as Daenerys as the Stark line was also very much involved in his conception (whereas the Targaryen line as represented by Aerys and Rhaella would be enough to bring forth Daenerys).

In any case, the Ghost only foresaw the birth of one dragon head/aspect of the saviour trinity. The Red Priest tradition of the saviour prophecy operates under the assumption that the reborn Azor Ahai will be a single saviour, not three. The Targaryen traditions - and some interpretations of it - apparently include the three dragon heads, and it may actually be that Rhaegar figured out/believed that three people were necessary to create the saviour/fulfil the prophecy.

If we assume Rhaegar sought out the Ghost after Aegon's birth to get additional information she may actually have directed Rhaegar 'to follow his heart' or something like that to conceive another head of the dragon. Rhaegar doesn't necessarily need to lose his belief in Aegon as 'the promised prince' for that - if Tyrion is indeed a head of the dragon then the Ghost could tell him that he is actually already alive, and Rhaegar thinks she means Aegon while she is actually talking about Tyrion (without actually knowing his name).

If the vision/prophecy of the Ghost was incomplete, then it is possible that Tyrion still can be a part of the saviour trinity/dragon head even if he was not born of Aerys and Rhaella's line.

Prophecies are tricky things, apparently. The Ghost could - for some occult reason - only state that the promised prince would be born of Aerys and Rhaella's line. She could not specify whether it would be their son, grandson, great-grandson, great-great-grandson, and so on. And neither could she apparently convey the circumstances of said person's birth so that he could be recognized as the promised prince by his parents.

The theory about 'the three-headed saviour' or 'the saviour trinity' operates under the assumption that the Ghost correctly foresaw the birth of one aspect of the trinity/one head of the dragon, most likely Daenerys (as she would be the child directly born to Aerys and Rhaella). Jon Snow would also figure into that category, although not in the same ultimate sense as Daenerys as the Stark line was also very much involved in his conception (whereas the Targaryen line as represented by Aerys and Rhaella would be enough to bring forth Daenerys).

In any case, the Ghost only foresaw the birth of one dragon head/aspect of the saviour trinity. The Red Priest tradition of the saviour prophecy operates under the assumption that the reborn Azor Ahai will be a single saviour, not three. The Targaryen traditions - and some interpretations of it - apparently include the three dragon heads, and it may actually be that Rhaegar figured out/believed that three people were necessary to create the saviour/fulfil the prophecy.

If we assume Rhaegar sought out the Ghost after Aegon's birth to get additional information she may actually have directed Rhaegar 'to follow his heart' or something like that to conceive another head of the dragon. Rhaegar doesn't necessarily need to lose his belief in Aegon as 'the promised prince' for that - if Tyrion is indeed a head of the dragon then the Ghost could tell him that he is actually already alive, and Rhaegar thinks she means Aegon while she is actually talking about Tyrion (without actually knowing his name).

If the vision/prophecy of the Ghost was incomplete, then it is possible that Tyrion still can be a part of the saviour trinity/dragon head even if he was not born of Aerys and Rhaella's line.

:rolleyes:

Well, at least I'm not proclaiming that Gerion is Tyrion's father or insist that the Lannisters must be descended from Elaena Targaryen ;-).

Those are better than claiming that the GoHH got it wrong ;-)

Admit it guys, ASOIAF is too small for three heroes or even two heroes.

There is only one true hero, which all the prophecies agree.

Those are better than claiming that the GoHH got it wrong ;-)

Admit it guys, ASOIAF is too small for three heroes or even two heroes.

There is only one true hero, which all the prophecies agree.

I don't think GoHH got anything wrong. I just don't think she ever stated that all three heads of the dragon would be of the line of Aerys and Rhaella -- I think GoHH said that the PTWP would be of that line -- and I think she also said that the dragon must have three heads. Jon (or Dany) is of the line of Aerys and Rhaella as grandson (or daughter) of both and therefore qualifies to be the PTWP, and Tyrion is "of the dragon" if his biological father is Aerys and thus qualifies to be one of the dragon heads.

As you smiled at LV -- prophecies are tricky things. We don't even have access to the exact words of this prophecy, and interpretation is always difficult. Only after the prophecy comes true can the accurate interpretation be confirmed. From what we know, either theory -- yours, that one character is the three-headed dragon as a singular/trinity force -- or mine that Jon is TPTWP and Dany and Tyrion are the other two heads -- can potentially be consistent with the prophecy. We won't know for sure until GRRM confirms it. And then we will be able to know, in retrospect, what the prophecy meant.

Jon riding a dragon may prove that Jon has Targ blood -- but it does not prove that he is the son of Rhaegar and it certainly does not prove that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married. That information, which could become relevant, will have to come from other sources. Targ blood is not the same as right to the throne (think Blackfyres).

Well...... maybe it doesnt prove Rhaegar is his father, but it's not exactly like there are a ton of candidates to be his Targaryen father. Rhaegar, Aerys and Viserys are really the only choices, and any 3 of them would give him a claim to the throne. The rest of the family is dead. I think for the purposes of these books int he story we have, if someone is riding a dragon they are a claimant.

Why do you think Jon Snow will survive the whole thing? I actually think that he is not really necessary in the end as both House Targaryen and Stark don't necessarily need him to continue - and we also can't know for sure that the NW will disbanded by the end of the book. If Jon lives and dies as Lord Commander of the NW then there would be no reason to have him survive the story if the end would still have him doing his duty and rebuilding the Wall/the NW.

And keeping Lyanna/Rhaegar in mind Jon may shy away from responsibility if he and the other surviving dragon heads have done their job - fake their deaths and settle down for a quiet life. If somebody has a good chance to survive the story it is Tyrion. He is George's favourite, after all. In real life crimes aren't always punished, nor do they have to die. I could see a lot of villainy characters actually survive the series - Littlefinger, Jaime, Olenna Tyrell - because they either cover their tracks to well or they are in a position of power that allows them to survive.

But if all the dragon heads die I hope they will have produced an heir by them - and the series could conclude with Davos Seaworth ruling the Realm as Lord Regent and Hand of the King with a strong foreshadowing that he is going to become the next Septon Barth (in regards to his capability as a ruler).

Oh, and Jon is playing the game of thrones already - as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and informal king of the wildlings, but still, he is playing the game. And he is not even all that bad at it, although he failed to perceive the danger to his own person, and could not inspire loyalty to his plans in the men closest to him (i.e. the old guard of the NW). But he knows how to deal with the wildlings, the Northern clansmen, and even the more powerful nobles in the North (Alys and Cregan Karstark). I imagine this to continue, although the whole Mance thing may backfire on him.

Jon as a dragonrider does not necessarily prove his Targaryen ancestry if he claims his dragon as a skinchanger - unless it has been established first in the whole Realm that dragon cannot be controlled by skinchangers.

That scenario seems highly unlikely to me. First of all for Jon to 'get' a dragon, he is going to have to meet Dany, I mean I doubt that Viserion will just fly straight to Jon from Meereen and like land on his back porch. Odds are that he will meet her or Tyrion (or whoever) before he rides a dragon. 2nd of all, just now, reading your post is the first time I have ever read that a skinchanger can control a dragon without Targ blood, I dont think this would be a problem in Westeros, since no one has ever brought it up before. think about TRP or PATQ, there was never a moment where some Targ child claimed a dragon and his parents were like 'oh I wonder if he has BOTD or if he is a skinchanger?'.

It is simpler than that, dragon riding = Targaryen for all political and storytelling purposes. And like I said to UL, there are no other options for Jon's Targaryen father than a member of the royal family, which I think will be more than enough for the common folk. Rhaegar, Viserys and Aerys are the only in-story choices we have. yes there may be a few Blackfyres out there, but if anyone in Westeros uses their brains it would not be that hard to figure out where Jon came from, his father (Ned) was a high Lord after all and close to the throne. I just mean the Starks were much closer to the Targs then they were to some exiled Blackfyres 1000's of miles away.

Well, at least I'm not proclaiming that Gerion is Tyrion's father or insist that the Lannisters must be descended from Elaena Targaryen ;-).

Also, don't feed the troll

Mithras,

if you actually believe that the the story does not have room for more than one hero you clearly lack imagination. What about Bran, Arya, and Sansa? They are not likely to become dragon heads yet they are still important protagonists and possible 'hero material'. If Jon Snow is going to save the day George could easily have dropped this clichéd hidden prince trope in favour of merging Jon Snow and Dany into a Targaryen prince who was given to the NW after the Rebellion. Problem solved. He could have found some dragon eggs beyond the Wall or in his basement, and save the world. End of story.

Oh, and if you know the actual texts of the prophecies care to share them with us? Not characters paraphrasing them, the actual prophecies.

I did not say the Ghost was wrong - she would be right but not have been able to see the whole truth. That is a subtle difference. My guess is - but this is, of course, speculation - that the Ghost either gave Jaehaerys some fortune-telling like prophecy (as Maggy gave Cersei) or that she had some vague, symbolic, and unclear dreams about the general importance of the Aerys-Rhaella match and deduced from those that the promised prince would be born from their line. Her prophecies in ASoS are all dream-based but dreams usually do not use writing to mark infants or people as 'the promised prince'.

Suzanna,

I brought the skinchanger thing up because George was actually repeatedly asked about the possibility of controlling dragons via skinchanging, and there are SSMs in which he appears to be reacting to this question in a way that could indicate that this plot point will come up. We have some strong skinchangers in the remaining Stark children, and it is thus a possibility that not only Jon Snow but also Arya or Bran will try to control a dragon via their skinchanging abilities.

If Jon Snow's Targaryen-Stark heritage is going to become important in a 'magical sense' then my best present-day guess is that this may have something to do with his ability to control dragon(s) via skinchanging - especially if it turned out that normal skinchangers (i.e. those without dragonlord blood) cannot do that. A hint in that direction is that there are claims that dragons once lived in Westeros, but nothing suggests that the Children or the First Men ever subdued the dragons of Westeros via skinchanging and subsequently rode them (which is what Varamyr did with his snow bear, so it is pretty evident that a skinchanger subduing a dragon could also ride that dragon).

What we know about the connection between the Targaryens and their dragons suggests that their magical bond has nothing to do with skinchanging - dragonriders aren't (partially) merging the souls with their dragons. They merely mount them and somehow establish a lasting connection between themselves and the dragons simply through that fact. But there seems to be sort of subconscious magical connections that sort of resembles the connection between skinchanger and animal as dragons are apparently mimicking the feelings of love and hate of their riders (while Daemon and Laena love each other, Caraxes and Vhagar like each other, too; when Daemon and Aemond hate each other, the attitude of their mounts changes accordingly - and we know from the way Dany's dragons react to her enemies/people she doesn't like that this is not a invention of Gyldayn/the historians)

Archived