Jon won't ride any dragon - his weapon against the others are armies.

Was reading a bit of the "Jon can become king without it being cheesy or a cliche" (adding my opinion, no he can't) and it made me think, there is no way GRRM would do something as typical as this. Not just the king bit but everything about Jon in general.

While he obviously seems to be the son of rhaegar everything else added onto R+L=J is very cheesy.

So going to say this, Jon will not ride a dragon. Yes his odds for being azor ahai are very high but his fiery weapon will be something else, it will not be dragons.

My guess is Jon will be in charge of the fighting side with the Dragon glass daggers. The same way orys baratheon (bastard brother of aegon) was in the conquest. It makes sense because (while I'm not totally sold on this theory) the nights watch seems to be Jon's lightbringer.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

All the bolded parts seem to hint at NW being lightbringer. So his weapon against the others isn't dragon's but men and armies.

So to round up Jon will have a part in this war for light (as I think Mel calls it) but won't ride any dragon, he will instead be in charge of the actual fighting side. The dragons are dany's weapon, that's been her entire story same way nights watch has been Jon's.

Sorry if this is wrong or well known or has been mentioned before.

Edit (adding something in I said in comments below).

Original lightbringer was a sword made of living fire that azor ahai saved the world with.

If Jon and Dany are both truly azor ahai then lightbringer has been split.

Dany's got the living fire (for dragons are fire made flesh) and Jon will have the sword.

Daenerys will save the world with dragons and Jon with swords.

I don't know - Tyrion might take him for a ride before he lets Jon plunge Dawn into his dragon and thus creating dragonsteel.

Then Jon will have to draw the sword from the fire and bring it to his br Others to demonstrate that men are willing to controll their dragons and make them retreat and there will be a new day untill men forget and start abusing power anew.

Going to add this in, it explains why r'hllor (or something else if you don't believe in ASOIAF gods) is sending messages to his followers that both Jon and dany are azor ahai.

He's sending benerro signs that daenerys is the prophesied saviour. And messages to Mel that Jon is the prophesied saviour. Cause both are. And why would you need two saviours who do the exact same thing?

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's not much hints or foreshadowing that Jon will ride a Dragon.

Going to add this in, it explains why r'hllor (or something else if you don't believe in ASOIAF gods) is sending messages to his followers that both Jon and dany are azor ahai.

He's sending benerro signs that daenerys is the prophesied saviour. And messages to Mel that Jon is the prophesied saviour. Cause both are. And why would you need two saviours who do the exact same thing?

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's not much hints or foreshadowing that Jon will ride a Dragon.

What if Jon is not Azor Ahai, and neither is Dany, but they MAKE Azor Ahai? So that they are indeed needed and that their progeny becomes the third head of the dragon.

Wait a minute... wait a minute... Are you saying that Jon is not the special snowflake that was promised? Are you saying that Jon is not going to get the most bitchin sword, the hottest girl (or at least Satin), and the fastest car? Are you telling me that Jon is not the primary protagonist, whose story will culminate in the defeat of the Others, the primary antagonist?

^ I'm saying he will be azor ahai (in some way) but not in the way people want him to be with the really cheesy fantasy hero who saves the day and becomes king with the hottest women as his queen.

Oh, wait wait wait thought of something. Original lightbringer was a sword made of living fire that azor ahai saved the world with.

If Jon and Dany are both truly azor ahai then lightbringer has been split.

Dany's got the living fire (for dragons are fire made flesh) and Jon will have the sword.

Daenerys will save the world with dragons and Jon with swords.

This whole "cheesy" argument is a tad ridiculous, You're reading fantasy.

Dragons = "Cheesy"

Magic = "Cheesy"

Resurrection = "Cheesy"

Theories and predictions supported by the text are great, but wild speculation portrayed as FACT is pretty....Cheesy

This whole "cheesy" argument is a tad ridiculous, You're reading fantasy.

Dragons = "Cheesy"

Magic = "Cheesy"

Resurrection = "Cheesy"

Theories and predictions supported by the text are great, but wild speculation portrayed as FACT is pretty....Cheesy

Cheesy means cheap and low quality. This is what GRRM wants to avoid in his books.

Theories that say Jon will ride a dragon are throwing away the writers writing style.

None of the things you suggested are cheap or low quality unless GRRM over does it.

And Jon riding a Dragon is wild speculation cause you know why, there's no hints or foreshadowing suggesting this.

So in a book filled with foreshadowing, where we're repeatedly told the number 3 is significant regarding Dragons, you think finding a second rider amongst a main protagonist with obvious ties to a dragon-riding family is too cheesy? I'm not with ya on this one.

(Note: I am not arguing that Jon WILL be riding some dragon, but to dismiss that it's a possibility because of your own opinion is merit-less)

I agree, he likely won't. Or at least, I hope not. Martin has obviously introduced some of the old fantasy cliches of magic and dragons into his story, but not in an overt sense and not in a manner that allows him to use it as an 'easy out.' I can't see him changing that now.

Granted, part of this is because I think that this is all setting up to be Dragons vs Others vs Humanity at the end. Having Jon as a 'dragonrider' kind of screws with my expectations going forward, not to mention outside the character type that Martin seems to want to portray him as.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that, and it's hard to see Jon on a dragon.

Which begs the question of whether we get three riders or not, and who they are. People hate secret Targs, but we might need quite a few...

There's also the question of whether Jon can be AA, and Dany TPtwP. Or both are both, whatever suits you.

I don't know - Tyrion might take him for a ride before he lets Jon plunge Dawn into his dragon and thus creating dragonsteel.

Then Jon will have to draw the sword from the fire and bring it to his br Others to demonstrate that men are willing to controll their dragons and make them retreat and there will be a new day untill men forget and start abusing power anew.

Dany (and/or others) probably has to kill the dragons in the end. But not for the Others. To restore balance, to restore the purity of fire-magic. The enemy is the Shadow, not ice or fire.

So I wonder how does one restore the balance between ice and fire when Martin said we'll never see Ashai (and thus, the Shadow that has become the Heart of Summer) ?

While he obviously seems to be the son of rhaegar everything else added onto R+L=J is very cheesy.

R + L = J is equivalent to Jon = Son(g) of Ice (Lyanna) and Fire (Rhaegar)

Therefore, by your logic, what you read is a cheesy series.

R + L = J is equivalent to Jon = Son(g) of Ice (Lyanna) and Fire (Rhaegar)

Therefore, by your logic, what you read is a cheesy series.

I actually said the stuff added onto R+L=J is cheesy. Like being king, riding dragons, having dany as his queen etc.

And seeing how both daenerys and Jon have shown very strong signs of being azor ahai, I think the song is referring to them both being azor ahai.

Ice = Jon

Fire = Daenerys. Song of ice and fire.

The idea of the series being named after Jon throws out everything GRRM wants, which is for the series not to be a complete cliche.

Archived