[Spoilers - like there is any other thread] NIGHT KING?!

Tyrion's Third Wife

The WWs didn't need to go into the water did they, they won that battle and scared the living crap out of the survivors... who will now return to their camp and scare everyone else with this horrific story. Running into the water to kill a handful more men, who're fleeing for their lives, wouldn't exactly have achieved much other than getting their clothes all ruined...

Okay, I call complete BS on this. Why the crap would the Night's King be something as simple as a White Walker? This is just such a demotion when compared to everything we have seen in the books. This is almost like a kick in the nuts.

This is total speculation, but in many legends evil things can't cross water. I believe that it's because the wall would be completely unnecessary if they could cross water. The wall is bordered by oceans on each side, so if they could simply hop on boats and cross the bay then Bran the Builder and everyone since has really wasted their time building and manning the wall.

Hah. Reminds me of something from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines when a vampire is listing off all the superstitious crap. "Water? Heh. I bathe...occasionally."

Okay, I call complete BS on this. Why the crap would the Night's King be something as simple as a White Walker? This is just such a demotion when compared to everything we have seen in the books. This is almost like a kick in the nuts.

??? White Walkers aren't Wights. We've seen few White Walkers so far.

That's like saying, why would Joffrey, Robb or Stannis be something as simple as a human?

What did you expect him to be? A kraken?

Hah. Reminds me of something from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines when a vampire is listing off all the superstitious crap. "Water? Heh. I bathe...occasionally."

Uh, in ASoIaF all we know the Night's King to supposedly be a normal human who was Lord Commander at one point so I have no idea where this disappointment is coming from. I'll also remind you all we've seen in the books is a tale from Old Nan that might not even be true about The NK being an old Brandon Stark.

??? White Walkers aren't Wights. We've seen few White Walkers so far.

That's like saying, why would Joffrey, Robb or Stannis be something as simple as a human?

What did you expect him to be? A kraken?

https://i.imgur.com/lPGhkCb.jpg

This guy is not a wight. He's obviously a White Walker. Or do you deny that?

Uh, in ASoIaF all we know the Night's King to supposedly be a normal human who was Lord Commander at one point so I have no idea where this disappointment is coming from. I'll also remind you all we've seen in the books is a tale from Old Nan that might not even be true about The NK being an old Brandon Stark.

It mainly irks me because it's done in such an offhand way. It's not even mentioned in the show or anything; one had to read the viewer's guide. I think the NK is pretty big, compared to how he was put down here. So, he can raise the dead (that would have done so automatically anyway) big whoop, so can I.

Edit: What I did like was that the White Walker that Jon destroyed was almost as surprised (insofar you could read its expressions) as Jon himself was when the Mormont blade didn't shatter.

It mainly irks me because it's done in such an offhand way. It's not even mentioned in the show or anything; one had to read the viewer's guide. I think the NK is pretty big, compared to how he was put down here. So, he can raise the dead (that would have done so automatically anyway) big whoop, so can I.

Edit: What I did like was that the White Walker that Jon destroyed was almost as surprised (insofar you could read its expressions) as Jon himself was when the Mormont blade didn't shatter.

It's not mentioned in the show yet because it hasn't needed to be mentioned. No one in the show knows that's the Night's King. The only real reference we have of the NK is from the wiki and not even from the books. The in-text reference is some random tale from Old Nan that we don't even know to be true.

The WW Jon destroyed was surprised because it is no regular occurrence for them to be stopped by a human blade. It's not like his magical Valyrian senses tingled when the blade was near. He had probably never encountered a blade that stopped his before, of course he'd be surprised.

I mean as of now we don't know if the Nights King doesn't have any more magical powers at his disposal. Barely anything is known about him. All they showed was him raise the dead which everyone already knew. Maybe he has more powers than that but only time will tell.

Is it me, or did Jon look as if he felt some type kindred with the NK? Like he was allured, in some way, as opposed to repulsed or even fearful.

Even Benioff said that NK sees Jon as a potential threat to them.They made sure NK was looking at Jon for a few seconds and the 2nd stare was basically middle finger to ya all.You have no chance.

They better give the Nights King some kickass power. All seems bleak now because Jon feels only the Nights Watch with 50 men has to stop them, but drogon's nicely aimed dragon breath can end this game very fast. Sam knows there are dragons out there and Dany would not refuse or withhold help she would definitely come to the rescue. Dragons at this point seem indestructible not even Nights King can stop Drogon it is not like he can throw his wights at flying dragons.

Why would a creature like that taunt? Even if it is sentient, it doesn't fit with the character type, IMO. Seems like a too-human trait.

ever seen a national geographic or something documentary about how a lion or tiger taunts their food while hunting it when they see they have them covered? Taunting is a universal trait not just human.

They better give the Nights King some kickass power. All seems bleak now because Jon feels only the Nights Watch with 50 men has to stop them, but drogon's nicely aimed dragon breath can end this game very fast. Sam knows there are dragons out there and Dany would not refuse or withhold help she would definitely come to the rescue. Dragons at this point seem indestructible not even Nights King can stop Drogon it is not like he can throw his wights at flying dragons.

Well there are theories about Ice Dragon lol

Of course he is a White Walker. That's my whole point. The NK is supposed to be a White Walker, or an Other, whatever you want to call him.

There are tales of dragons in Westeros during the Age of Heroes like Serwyn of the Mirror Shield killing the dragon Urrax.

Also this SSM http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1062

In 'The Hedge Knight' ancient dragons are mentioned, thousands of years olds. Were there Dragons in Westeros before the Targaryens brought them, or did the Targaryens bring the skeletons of the old Dragons with them?

There were dragons all over, once.

Yes - but the 'blood of the dragon' refers specifically to children of the Targ line, doesn't it? There may have been ancient/First Men dragon riders - they just couldn't have been Targs because the Valyrians weren't even herding sheep on a peninsular yet, let alone building an empire - so any dragon bonded people from the time the Nights King was made would not have been 'blood of the dragon' in the Targaerean sense.

Yes - but the 'blood of the dragon' refers specifically to children of the Targ line, doesn't it? There may have been ancient/First Men dragon riders - they just couldn't have been Targs because the Valyrians weren't even herding sheep on a peninsular yet, let alone building an empire - so any dragon bonded people from the time the Nights King was made would not have been 'blood of the dragon' in the Targaerean sense.

Blood of the Dragon refers to the dragonlords, not just the Targs.

The HBOGO extra feature - D&D called it...named HIM...Night King!

And...he has a tailored uniform. Really. It's nice.

Who the heck made it?

I'm guessing he raised a fashion designer from the dead to make it for him? I can't imagine there being any shopping centres north of the wall for the White Walkers to have stopped at on their way to Hardhome. ;-)

Ok someone explain how the heck did bloodraven end up greenseer powers. He is a targ, descended from ancient Valyria who are blood of andals. I thought the old gods, greenseer abilities, warging and weirwood are all powers associated with the first men. So how was bloodraven chosen to have powers of the first men.

The WWs didn't need to go into the water did they, they won that battle and scared the living crap out of the survivors... who will now return to their camp and scare everyone else with this horrific story. Running into the water to kill a handful more men, who're fleeing for their lives, wouldn't exactly have achieved much other than getting their clothes all ruined...

If they froze the water (which is apparently one of their powers), they wouldn't get wet. They'd walk on the ice...

Ok someone explain how the heck did bloodraven end up greenseer powers. He is a targ, descended from ancient Valyria who are blood of andals. I thought the old gods, greenseer abilities are all powers associated with the first men. So how was bloodrave chosen to have powers of the first men.

1)Valyrians are not Andals

2)Bloodraven's mother is from House Blackwood, an old First Men house who in the south that still worships the Old Gods.

Archived