Anyone else having trouble with the whights?

oopeed

I believe ummester was referring solely to the end scene of episode 502 where Drogon makes a reappearance on Dany's balcony in Meereen. He looked different from all of his other appearances. It appeared to be a bit of anthropomorphism gone wrong. He just looked too human in his expression. I found it odd as well.

ummester,

No, they are establishing their OWN tone - certainly with the CG creatures. You just aren't liking it, and you've clearly been wanting something else since day 1. This is not the fault of the show (or "modern cinema"), but instead that you don't care for the style. You apparently go into "modern cinema" films and you do not let THEM establish their own looks.

They have put a LOT of thought into their dragon design (just one example) from day one. So much is obvious - they even went for a design that is far more realistic than most (or any?) dragon out there. They aren't just going for "cool".

As for fast vs. slow zombies, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I personally see very little terror in a hap-hazard bumbling zombie that slowly shuffles towards me, but your mileage clearly varies.

I don't mind any tones, so long as they are tonal consistency. The CG creatures in GoTs are often not tonally consistent with the broader show.

Some modern cinema keeps it's tone - but the majority doesn't. That recent Superman film, no tonal consistency at all. The 3rd Batman film also had none. Toy Story 3 had tonal consistency, as did that guardians of the Galaxy recently, even though their tones were totally different. Do you see what I mean?

The thing is, in blockbuster cinema, narrative and tone has become secondary to FX wow moments and audiences have just learnt to accept it. GoTs is best, and most in line with it's own tone, when it isn't trying to compete with big budget FX wow moments.

I believe ummester was referring solely to the end scene of episode 502 where Drogon makes a reappearance on Dany's balcony in Meereen. He looked different from all of his other appearances. It appeared to be a bit of anthropomorphism gone wrong. He just looked too human in his expression. I found it odd as well.

Yes, I am. Overall I think the dragon designs in GoTs are top notch.

Trying to map sympathetic emotions onto drogon's face just didn't work - because it broke tone. Drogon was not established as being a dragon like Draco from Dragonheart, that had complex emotions, earlier in the story - so when they suddenly decided to make drogo soppy, it was out of place for drogon's established traits and TONE.

This is exactly the same as the speedy skeletons - they were never established earlier in the story, nor was it ever established that the CotF could throw fireballs, or erect invisible skeleton shattering walls.

The establishing shots for the white walkers, the closing moments of episode 210, sets a totally different tone from the skeletons Bran encounters or the World War Z action scene we experienced in Hardhome.

Not really. Look at Drogon in season 4 (401?): http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140407194747/gameofthrones/images/f/fe/Drogon_snarls_at_his_mom.jpg

Drogon in season 5 (502): http://photos.vanityfair.com/2015/04/19/5533f9f321478db3485e25f5_game-of-thrones-502.jpg

A different angle, but the same face: https://tyrionlannister.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/drogon-in-game-of-thrones-season-5-episode-2-the-house-of-black-and-white.png

Open the first two images in browser tabs, and flip between them. Not a big difference, if you take into account lighting diffrences. What you interpret as a "disney smile" is simply Drogon showing his teeth.

The thing is, in blockbuster cinema, narrative and tone has become secondary to FX wow moments and audiences have just learnt to accept it. GoTs is best, and most in line with it's own tone, when it isn't trying to compete with big budget FX wow moments.

You keep spouting the same line over and over without supporting evidence, and just repeating it doesn't make it more true. ESPECIALLY if you bring it up within the context of the show/movie which does it best at the moment.

Cite some evidence or agree to disagree.

Not really. Look at Drogon in season 4 (401?): http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140407194747/gameofthrones/images/f/fe/Drogon_snarls_at_his_mom.jpg

Drogon in season 5 (502): http://photos.vanityfair.com/2015/04/19/5533f9f321478db3485e25f5_game-of-thrones-502.jpg

A different angle, but the same face: https://tyrionlannister.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/drogon-in-game-of-thrones-season-5-episode-2-the-house-of-black-and-white.png

Open the first two images in browser tabs, and flip between them. Not a big difference, if you take into account lighting diffrences. What you interpret as a "disney smile" is simply Drogon showing his teeth.

^ A still picture isn't going to capture it, fully. Yes, the design is consistent, but they made the face behave like a puppy dogs or something, not a crocodile, or bird, or something in line with the animal traits earlier established for drogon.

You keep spouting the same line over and over without supporting evidence, and just repeating it doesn't make it more true. ESPECIALLY if you bring it up within the context of the show/movie which does it best at the moment.

Cite some evidence or agree to disagree.

I cited some examples above.

Another - Prometheus, blockbuster film with inconsistent tone. Recent mad Max - consistent tone.

nor was it ever established that the CotF could throw fireballs

This is the prime example of your bizarre point of view. THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME WE SAW A COTF IN THE SHOW. Sorry for the caps, I just had to emphasize that. So it was never established IN THE SHOW they they don't throw fireballs. Do you understand the logic problem of your post?

But this again re-establishes and proves my point - that you don't let the show establish its OWN tone, and instead bring in your own external expectations. You just provided proof of this.

This is the prime example of your bizarre point of view. THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME WE SAW A COTF IN THE SHOW. Sorry for the caps, I just had to emphasize that. So it was never established IN THE SHOW they they don't throw fireballs. Do you understand the logic problem of your post?

But this again re-establishes and proves my point - that you don't let the show establish its OWN tone, and instead bring in your own external expectations. You just provided proof of this.

The magic in the show has been established as fairly low key.

If CotF have ranged fireball attacks that they can use willy nilly, WTF are they hiding up north? They could take out Gregor Clegane as long as they keep their distance.

Just because you can't spot tonal consistency, doesn't mean that I can't :)

unmester,

Whatever... I'm not the one who wrote "nor was it ever established that the CotF could throw fireballs", a demonstrably illogical statement.

Both the books and show has at times been wildly inconsistent in the level of magic that is on display. (after shadow babies it is hard to complain about that) This is nothing new.

This will be my last post on the subject, but I simply suggest that you examine whether or not your "tonal consistency" = "what I prefer". Because that's how it comes across...

The magic in the show has been established as fairly low key.

If CotF have ranged fireball attacks that they can use willy nilly, WTF are they hiding up north? They could take out Gregor Clegane as long as they keep their distance.

Just because you can't spot tonal consistency, doesn't mean that I can't :)

Uh, the same reason they were hiding during the long night when they had access to obsidian?

I mean, if they used obsidian before the long night and they can create barriers against the others.... Why are the others even a problem? :)

I agree that the chittering skeletons and the fireball breaks the tone they've set with the rest of the series. This is a gritty, dirty world with low-key (but powerful) magic. The dragons and shadow baby seemed more in- line with the world they've built because they have weight. They seemed substantial and real. The skeletons look like puppets on a string bouncing around. The fire balls looked like they belong in a cheap swords and sorcery movie. There are ways they could have portrayed them to give them more weight, more reality, but they chose not to for whatever reason. I'd have been happy with flaming arrows from Leaf, but no - we get the cheese balls and the introduction of those horrible skeletons.

Look at this army of dead compared to the one we saw at the Fist. Totally different in tone. It's not subjective, it's objective. You're free to like either version you want, be bothered by the shift or not, but there is a difference that can be demonstrated.

Look at this army of dead compared to the one we saw at the Fist. Totally different in tone. It's not subjective, it's objective. You're free to like either version you want, be bothered by the shift or not, but there is a difference that can be demonstrated.

Exactly.

I'm not saying that fans can't enjoy tonal shifts, or accept them as part of the world they enjoy - but that is a different thing to denying their existence.

In a story telling/narrative sense show Dorne is quite off tone, also. This is one thing the books definitely did better than the show - they may have become boring but they are tonally consistent with each other. Book Dorne feels part of the world, just as Bran's encounter with the undead on the way to Bloodraven, in book, feels tonally consistent with the book Fist of the First men.

Archived