Anyone else having trouble with the whights?

oopeed

The skeletons themselves don't bother me, they're older wights who have rotted away. But... The fact that they don't have blue eyes, apparently growl now, and can run super fast contradicts everything they've established about wights thus far. Oh, and that little thing about fire.. What was it? OH YEAH... Only FIRE can kill a damn wight! So why are they falling when shot with wildling arrows and being taken down by swords? And Wun Wun can just smash them? NO... No no no. Terrible writing. They clearly don't even care anymore about sticking to their own rules, just give us 20 minutes of shitty CGI World War Z movie zombies because that will look cool right? Wrong. The writers have no idea wtf they're doing anymore without GRRM's books to use as a crutch.

Skeletons do not have eyes. Why would they have glowing eyes?

Some of the newer wigts should have had the blue eyes, but not the skeletons.

Skeletons do not have eyes. Why would they have glowing eyes?

Some of the newer wigts should have had the blue eyes, but not the skeletons.

In the books when a wight has an eye missing they still have a blue glow where their eye would have been.

I'm not sure if you're aware how silly that would look on TV. Blue glow in hollow eye sockets is a cartoon, and it's not like we need the blue glow to figure out if a skeleton is reanimated or not.

:agree:

Why do people nitpick the smallest differences.

Yeah agree with this but I didn't love but didn't hate it either, they did have some that weren't just skeletons though. Also think it may be a way to tell the wight walkers from just the wights for the viewer too, though that shouldn't be that hard. Also, was it just me or did it seem like they were eating people? They aren't zombies.

I did love the episode and the Hardhome scene as a whole though. Very well done, it felt like an extremely well done horror movie at its best which was nice.

not all wights had weapons and those who didn't (like the wight-children) seemed to attacked like zombies. i don't think they were eating their victims, but biting would make some sense for weak unarmed wight-childs

not all wights had weapons and those who didn't (like the wight-children) seemed to attacked like zombies. i don't think they were eating their victims, but biting would make some sense for weak unarmed wight-childs

Indeed. Clearly they weren't eating the victims entirely or the female talking wildling would have been in a lot worse shape when she rose up.

I liked how they made some of the Wights skeletons. It just adds a little bit of flavor, instead of having normal-eyed men fighting blue-eyed men.

Besides, in a giant battle scene with hundreds of combatants, it's probably cheaper on the budget. Instead of paying 300 "extras" during the filming, they can replaced 1/3 of those extras with CG Skeletons. I don't know what the going-rate is for CG work, but I would like to think it's cheaper then paying a bunch of random actors to run around the screen.

? The VFX work is definitely going to be more expensive. Especially since there is usually a real actor underneath, on top of which they render the CGI image.

I liked how they made some of the Wights skeletons. It just adds a little bit of flavor, instead of having normal-eyed men fighting blue-eyed men.

Besides, in a giant battle scene with hundreds of combatants, it's probably cheaper on the budget. Instead of paying 300 "extras" during the filming, they can replaced 1/3 of those extras with CG Skeletons. I don't know what the going-rate is for CG work, but I would like to think it's cheaper then paying a bunch of random actors to run around the screen.

Honestly, I don't think they would have problems finding extras doing it for free (I certainly would). But then, make up and stuff costs, of course.

First run through I only had the audio channel running as I was working on some other things. The sound the skellys made when just listening... I said to myself "Is that an ice spider? Are they showing an ice spider!?!?"

Disappointment when I watched it later. The sound I took for an insect, turned out to be a skelly.

Other than that, ever since the first Clash of Titans movie when those skellys pop out of the dust from med's blood I've always enjoyed clunky armored skeleton visuals. That said, I also agree there's something about it that made it seem like there was some kind of mashup of two different shows production going on.

Had fun trying to figure out who the wights were before dying by costume. Those kids seemed like they all came from different cultures.

This is actually an aspect of the show that I don't dislike. I kind of (almost subconsciously) attributed the slow, clumsy gait of the wights in the past to the command of their masters. Why would they always be running around like the 28 Days Later zombies?

I would think that a large assault would convince their masters to make them assault their objective with speed and intensity.

In short: I think the Others decide how they move.

? The VFX work is definitely going to be more expensive. Especially since there is usually a real actor underneath, on top of which they render the CGI image.

Yeah, totally. CGI is always going to be more expensive than hiring an extra.

I hate the skeletal wights that seemingly know how to fence. They shouldn't move like humans. It wasn't so apparent this time around, but my god, did they suck in the last season's final episode, the ones Meera and co. fought. They shouldn't MOVE like humans do in a fight. These are supposed to be mindless golems, programmed to maim anything living, the scary thing about them is that they won't stop coming until you destroy them or they destroy you- and they can and will take a lot more damage than you. But they shouldn't shy from taking blows. When I see them parry or dodge blows, it just looks silly. They shouldn't have a survival instinct. The wights looked the scariest when they were just mindlessly hacking away at someone, with no personal regard, or towards the end, when they just stood motionless, ready for their next orders. The aura of scariness goes away when they start behaving similarly to humans.

Archived