Lady Dustin name her fate..

Lady Dustin is the sort of person who only hates the Starks because she loved/admired them so much in the first place. She pretty much says this.

She is bitter yes, but whatever grudge she holds against the Starks, she has reason to hate the Freys even more.

Also, she seems smart enough to know that vassals are seldom happy with their liege lords, and that the Starks were not as bad as the Boltons may prove to be. She doesn't seem to have completely thrown in her lot with the Boltons just yet.

Bottom line is, she's a true Northerner. She might have been slighted by the Starks, but the crimes the Freys have committed (with the support of the Boltons and Lannisters) are unforgivable. The North remembers.

From her point of view, it's probably better to have an honorable liege lord she can respect (if no longer love) than an unholy alliance with the Frey-Bolton lot.

Even assuming she really hates the Starks, I doubt she wants them wiped out by Freys ; she'd want her own revenge.

But I'd even go so far as to say she probably still wants to win the Starks' recognition. And she is in a perfect position to get it. If she helps rid the North of Freys, the Starks will be indebted to her.

So either she can be won back to the Stark cause (by astute diplomacy), or she will work against the Freys and Boltons anyway, as a Northerner would.

Anyway, she will die proving that she was worthy of being a Stark.

Yes, she's angry at Ned (and Rickard)...but she HATES the Boltons. I think she's making sure that Roose thinks she's on his side with her loud, vehement

anti-Stark tirades. I think she and Manderly are in cahoots to bring down anything Bolton and Frey. As old Wyman said, "This mummer's farce is about done." and I think she's part of the mummer's farce.

Yes, she's angry and bitter, but she's also one smart old bat and knows what the North would be like under Bolton rule.

Yes, she's angry at Ned (and Rickard)...but she HATES the Boltons. I think she's making sure that Roose thinks she's on his side with her loud, vehement

anti-Stark tirades.

She doesn't hate Roose. She hates the Freys and Ramsay though.

She has tirades against the Starks, Freys and Ramsay. She is pretty open about her disdain for all of them. If she was secretly in favor of the Starks she would have sent more men with Robb, would have sent some men to help Winterfell when Rodrik was asking for help.

Obviously if Roose dies she will withdraw her support and the support of her Ryswell brothers.

I personally think she will be nuetral in the North's affairs because she doesn't like neither side.

She isn't stupid, though. The faults of both sides are nowhere near comparable. I think she's wait and win the Boltons' trust until the moment she can stab them. I don't think she hates Roose but I don't think she wants to see a Boltons' North either.

She isn't stupid, though. The faults of both sides are nowhere near comparable. I think she's wait and win the Boltons' trust until the moment she can stab them. I don't think she hates Roose but I don't think she wants to see a Boltons' North either.

Being nuetral before winter isn't a stupid thing to do, especially in the north.

Being nuetral before winter isn't a stupid thing to do, especially in the north.

Not at all. That's why I think she'll keep her neutrality until she feels it's safer to strike.

Those men fulfilled their oaths to their liege, they died bravely and valiantly but it wasn't anymore than was expected. Sure, maybe some extra effort could have been expended to get the others remains back, but Ned took his sister back to be buried in the crypts, maybe it was a dick move to come back with her and not them but if anyone's remains were coming back, it was hers, she was his sister and he loved her, she was also a Stark of winterfell and deserved to be buried there. Besides, resting for eternity beneath the red mountains doesn't sounds too bad a spot for my cairn.

Plus, if anyone deserved to be brought back, it was Ethan Glover, dude somehow managed not to be killed by the mad king only to die in the red mountains, did not deserve what he got.

Lady Dustin is pissed at Ned and she has a legit reason, but she also hates Ramsay and fears Roose, I could see her turning her cloak to Stannis if it comes down to it

Why Lyanna had to be "allowed" to be with her family and the others no?

Well, she was Ned's sister. He was within his rights to take her and leave the others where they were. He just wasn't within his rights not to be disliked, hated, or whatever everyone else felt for him because of doing so.

My feeling is that Lyanna was no more deserving than anyone else to go back home. But my feelings don't bind Ned in any way.

Well, she was Ned's sister. He was within his rights to take her and leave the others where they were. He just wasn't within his rights not to be disliked, hated, or whatever everyone else felt for him because of doing so.

My feeling is that Lyanna was no more deserving than anyone else to go back home. But my feelings don't bind Ned in any way.

Oh I agree. I believe that Ned was just stupid, as he always was, and never thought his actions twice, just like he did everytime.

Not at all. That's why I think she'll keep her neutrality until she feels it's safer to strike.

Hmm. I think at this stage she is just doing whatever she needs to in order to preserve herself and House Dustin (although I'm having a mind blank as to who is supposed to follow her upon her death. Presumably a relative of her husband?)

And, to the OP, there is really no need for the derogatory "cunt" and "bitch" comments. If you are going to discuss things, try to do so civilly

Hmm. I think at this stage she is just doing whatever she needs to in order to preserve herself and House Dustin (although I'm having a mind blank as to who is supposed to follow her upon her death. Presumably a relative of her husband?)

I agree that's her main objective at the moment. But as I see it, most of the North is put on the defensive, in one way or another. Preservation mode is what seems most likely to work for now. Anyway, I don't think she likes it. It's just that she needs to work with what she has. Dead women don't preserve anything. Women without fingers aren't likely to eat. She has nothing to gain by antagonizing the new regime openly.

I also wonder about the Dustin succession thing.

I agree that's her main objective at the moment. But as I see it, most of the North is put on the defensive, in one way or another. Preservation mode is what seems most likely to work for now. Anyway, I don't think she likes it. It's just that she needs to work with what she has. Dead women don't preserve anything. Women without fingers aren't likely to eat. She has nothing to gain by antagonizing the new regime openly.

I also wonder about the Dustin succession thing.

Oh yes. It certainly isn't in her best interests to antagonise Roose. And she seems to be contributing just enough and keeping him just sweet enough to keep herself reasonably secure should Roose die and Ramsay take over. If everything goes to hell though, I have no doubt she would jump ship without any regrets whatsoever

Maybe I should have said 'Hates Ramsey'...she can't stand him and the way things are going, he will be the eventual Warden of the North once Roose is gone. She knows the Boltons are bad news for nobles and smallfolk alike...and although I don't think she gives a rip for smallfolk, she knows that Ramsey is an 'equal opportunity flayer'

All of this is still very controversial, Tower of Joy is still a huge mystery, we don't know anything for sure. But my problem is not about Lady Dustin disliking Ned, but the passion of her hate for him, if it is real and not just acting ofc.

She's jealous of the Starks. She wanted to be a Stark. Brandon took her virginity. They wanted to marry. But... nope. The Stark heir needed a stronger ally down south. That must've killed Lady Dustin. And wasn't Ned supposed to marry Dustin if Brandon never died? I can't remember if that part was true. But could be another thing that made her all resentful.

She assumed that Ned would marry her because if not Brandon than second best, but that was never discussed between houses nor confirmed. And also its been been implied that Ned would have probably married Ashara Dayne or other southern lady too. She is just talking about her assumptions of What might have happened.

All of this is still very controversial, Tower of Joy is still a huge mystery, we don't know anything for sure. But my problem is not about Lady Dustin disliking Ned, but the passion of her hate for him, if it is real and not just acting ofc.

ITs that passion of her hate for Ned/Starks, that sort of means that she is totally faking it. She knows (and says so outright) that Theon reports to Roose/Ramsey and she wants him to report her "hate of Starks and Ramsey" to them. I am also pretty sure that she is looking for something in the crypt or the whole conspiracy's secret meetings been taking place in the crypt, so she uses Theon to put Boltons off her scent

Why is this such a big problem for you? She comes across to me as a woman who's had more than 15 years to obsess over the slights the Stark did or she thinks the Starks did to her - and Ned happened to be the last one in this row. I didn't get the vibe that she had something to fill her life with, other than ruling the Dustin lands. Easy to feed one's obsession. She looks somewhat embittered by life, although I think a part of it is a show for Theon's benefit.

The part I think is real? Nothing this unusual. Not pretty but common enough. People who are embittered by life think life owes them.

There are several characters from the north who are to take princiapl roles in Winds: Lord Wyman and Lady Dustin among them. Both of them are "introduced" (reinforced) very good in Dance.

I like Barbrey. She has all the reasons to hate Ned. And she appears to be playing for her own interest.

Ehm...

I agree. Lady Dustin is more than someone who claims to hate the Starks. She hates the Freys. She hates Ramsay and most likely Roose. She's playing the same game Wyman Manderly was playing up until his epic "Mayhaps it was a blessing... Had he lived he would have grown up to be a Frey" line, although I personally am not convinced they're playing together. Roose knows he needs her, but he also knows he needs to keep an eye on her. The North remembers.

Her hatred of the Starks, and Ned in particular, is something I think should be taken with a grain of salt, and needs to be kept in context. She did not proclaim her hatred in front of the entire Northern court, she did not even proclaim it where a few others could overhear. She said it to Theon, in the crypt, which apparently no one else could find. She was trying to get information from Theon, and trying to relate to your ...interrogatee...? is not an uncommon practice. She admitted to hating the Starks because she loved them, wanted to be one of them, but never could, same as Theon. Roose has also heard of her hatred, presumably when they joined up before going to Winterfell, but otherwise, the only hatred we know she has shared with the group is that which she has for the Freys.

Her particular anger with Ned and his lack of transportation of her husband's bones may seem like a petty overreaction, or it may seem like a justified response, but until we find out what actually happened at the Tower of Joy, I don't think it is fair to judge Ned for what he did, nor do I think it is fair to judge Barbary for her reaction, especially considering it may not be her actual reaction. The final straw is often seemingly irrational to everyone not carrying that particular load.

One way or another, on one side or the other, Barbary Dustin will have a major role in the Battle for Winterfell, and I think she will have a major role in the North and its governance going forward.

*okay, so the post I quoted contained a lovely quote from the books, and quote boxes, for whatever reason, do not show up in subsequent quotings (unless there's something I should be doing to make this happen...?), and I'm too lazy to retype it.

Archived