NBA Finals 2015 - Lebron vs. The Warriors vs. MJ

Jaime L

As the last thread is over 400 posts....

Huge game tonight. To me the Cavs are still big underdogs due to the notion of sustainability. I don't think it's sustainable to think the Cavs defense can hold Curry to the worst performance of his career again. Though even if they do, I'm not sure it's sustainable for Lebron to continue playing this many minutes, doing everything on the court for the Cavs, creating all the shots for himself and others. It's an unprecedented load for one player looking to win a championship. Russell Westrbook is jealous as fuck.

That said, the counter trends are that the Cavs have a rabid homecourt and bad JR Smith has hung around so long that I expect a flip to good JR any day now. Cavs win tonight and they seize control of the series. I still think the Warriors right their ship but just psyched we're getting this kind of drama despite all the injuries.

ETA: Ugh reading Zack Lowe apparently Flip Saunders was really high on Klay Thompson when he coached the Wizards. But they didn't want to reach for him at #6 in the 2011 draft so they took...Jan Vesely instead. Classic Wizards.

Pretty good article about Curry's game 2. The takeaway is that Curry took 23 shots, and of them, ~ 14 of them were "good" shots, and he made just 3 of those 14. 9 of those shots were well defended or forced, and he made 2 of those. So while Curry was in general well defended a lot of the time, he wasn't really making his open looks any better than his well covered ones. He was just shooting really bad.

I don't really know whether that is encouraging or not for Warriors/Cavs fans. But it is hard to imagine the Warriors winning this series if Curry continues to play as poorly as he has. We'll see if Curry/Kerr can adjust and get things going.

Pretty good article about Curry's game 2. The takeaway is that Curry took 23 shots, and of them, ~ 14 of them were "good" shots, and he made just 3 of those 14. 9 of those shots were well defended or forced, and he made 2 of those. So while Curry was in general well defended a lot of the time, he wasn't really making his open looks any better than his well covered ones. He was just shooting really bad.

I don't really know whether that is encouraging or not for Warriors/Cavs fans. But it is hard to imagine the Warriors winning this series if Curry continues to play as poorly as he has. We'll see if Curry/Kerr can adjust and get things going.

Cleveland's D is really good (and ironically better because of the injuries to Irving and Love) but yeah, they're not that good. Kerr's right. Every shooter has off-nights. Even the greatest shooter I've ever seen. It's a helluva time for Curry to have the worst shooting game of his career and it's fair to wonder if nerves or that injury he suffered against the Rockets are playing a role. His shooting percentage is certainly way down since landing on the back of his neck.

I still expect a return to classic Curry soon. Possibly tonight.

Don;t worry about "good" JR showing up again. He's done for the season. "Good" JR left the building after getting that one game suspension. For proof look no further back than 2013 playoffs.

Don;t worry about "good" JR showing up again. He's done for the season. "Good" JR left the building after getting that one game suspension. For proof look no further back than 2013 playoffs.

Madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin with JR Smith. Every time he steps out on the court the Gods toss a coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land. -- A Cascade of Bricks pg. 147

As a nugget fan curently rooting for LeBron, err, The Cavs I already know how this is going. Cavs will go up 2-1 based on a lights out performance by JR. Then in game four JR will go 0-12 in the forth quarter before fouling out.

At which point GS closes it out by taking back home court.

Madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin with JR Smith. Every time he steps out on the court the Gods toss a coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land. -- A Cascade of Bricks pg. 147

I want to laugh but after having the virus known as JR on the Knicks for the last three seasons I can honestly say... fuck JR.

Continues to play as poorly as he has played? It was one game and I think that's the challenge when analyzing this. He was 10-20 with 26 pts and 8 assists in the first game. I don't expect Sunday's game to be the norm but more the aberration.

On a totally different note, what every happened to David Lee? Is he injured or does he just never play?

SI has a story in that today actually.

Kerr has no beef with Lee. In fact, he likes him. Kerr brought Lee into coaches meetings when the big man was injured early in the season. But he has a rotation that works. Greenthe runner up for Defensive Player of the Yearhas been the catalyst for the Warriors' jump from fourth in defensive efficiency last season to first this year. Like Lee, Speights is an offensive-oriented forward who can play both power spots.

Trying to shoehorn Lee into a successful lineup made little senseand Lee knew it.

Yep, really can't see how that bodes well for the Cavs if he indeed missed that many open shots. But seriously, holding the Cavs to 32% shooting and losing isn't going to happen very often. It seems like I saw this movie a few weeks ago against the Grizz.

Yeah, Draymond Green flat Wally Pipped him. David Lee is a poor man's Kevin Love and I don't think the actual Kevin Love starts over Draymond for Golden State.

Speights getting the nod off the bench over Lee is a bit of a surprise. That dude cracks me up. He's one of those guys that plays like he thinks he's the best player on the floor at any given time. But it's all about trust and chemistry and Speights has it with the second unit. It's weird to say but the Warriors probably don't win game 1 without Speights out there.

Yeah, Draymond Green flat Wally Pipped him. David Lee is a poor man's Kevin Love and I don't think the actual Kevin Love starts over Draymond for Golden State.

Speights getting the nod off the bench over Lee is a bit of a surprise. That dude cracks me up. He's one of those guys that plays like he thinks he's the best player on the floor at any given time. But it's all about trust and chemistry and Speights has it with the second unit. It's weird to say but the Warriors probably don't win game 1 without Speights out there.

Mo Buckets has been great all season. And Lee has really been exemplary when called upon. He's handled the whole thing with quite a bit of grace.

Mo Buckets has been great all season. And Lee has really been exemplary when called upon. He's handled the whole thing with quite a bit of grace.

It still seems hard to believe/understand that Lee is barely even getting minutes with the second unit. I mean, the guy was an all-star not too long ago.

It still seems hard to believe/understand that Lee is barely even getting minutes with the second unit. I mean, the guy was an all-star not too long ago.

Another problem with Lee is he's not much of a defender. If you can't defend on this unit, you might as well find a real comfortable spot at the end of the bench.

I' ve been a big David Lee fan over the last couple of years, but I can't argue with anything the Warriors have done with his minutes. Plus he's going to make $30 million over this year and next before the Dubs are free of him. That makes Amare look downright productive.

One thing I'm interested to see in game 3 is how the Curry-Dellavadova matchup goes. Because in game 1, they only matched up briefly, and Dellavadova looked completely overmatched. He said that he watched some film and had a better plan for game 2 (he wasn't watching film in the week off?) Regardless, in game 2, Dellavadova was matched up with Thompson to start, so that Shumpert could take Curry. That matchup was totally ineffective - Thompson was too big for Del, had a great first quarter, and the Cavs had to switch back. But then Dellavadova did a great job on Curry the rest of the game. I'm curious if the Warriors actually anticipated the Del-Shump cross match, based on their game 1 performances, and had put together a game plan to exploit it. That doesn't fully explain why Curry was so poor, but it would make sense for why he didn't see to have a plan to attack Dellavadova's harassment.

Anyways, we'll see. David Blatt has been winning the coaching matchup thus far, and that is key for the Cavs to win. We'll see if he (and the Cavs) can keep it up.

One thing I'm interested to see in game 3 is how the Curry-Dellavadova matchup goes. Because in game 1, they only matched up briefly, and Dellavadova looked completely overmatched. He said that he watched some film and had a better plan for game 2 (he wasn't watching film in the week off?) Regardless, in game 2, Dellavadova was matched up with Thompson to start, so that Shumpert could take Curry. That matchup was totally ineffective - Thompson was too big for Del, had a great first quarter, and the Cavs had to switch back. But then Dellavadova did a great job on Curry the rest of the game. I'm curious if the Warriors actually anticipated the Del-Shump cross match, based on their game 1 performances, and had put together a game plan to exploit it. That doesn't fully explain why Curry was so poor, but it would make sense for why he didn't see to have a plan to attack Dellavadova's harassment.

Anyways, we'll see. David Blatt has been winning the coaching matchup thus far, and that is key for the Cavs to win. We'll see if he (and the Cavs) can keep it up.

In all fairness, the Cavs still had Kyrie in game one. (That seems like a month ago though...) So all the match-ups were entirely different.

In all fairness, the Cavs still had Kyrie in game one. (That seems like a month ago though...) So all the match-ups were entirely different.

Right, but whether Irving is healthy or not, Dellvadova spending some time covering Curry in the Finals was likely. It seems very strange that his preparation would have been significantly better in Game 2 than in Game 1.

Archived