Sam's fate (spoiler)

I think both will die. Sam isn't going to Oldtown at this rate (there's been no real mention of it to pave the way for the unsullied unlike the million references about Braavos last season before Arya went there) and it adds shock value whilst getting rid of an extra character. D&D have shown already he's in danger at the wall, and we know episode ten will "break the internet". Of course, FTW will piss off non book readers, but throw Sams death in, and all asoiaf fans will go insane. Calling it now.

I think both will die. Sam isn't going to Oldtown at this rate (there's been no real mention of it to pave the way for the unsullied unlike the million references about Braavos last season before Arya went there) and it adds shock value whilst getting rid of an extra character. D&D have shown already he's in danger at the wall, and we know episode ten will "break the internet". Of course, FTW will piss off non book readers, but throw Sams death in, and all asoiaf fans will go insane. Calling it now.

That's possible, but what happens with Gilly and little Sam then? They can't just stay at Castle black and killing them too would be too much.

It doesn't take much screen time to send Sam to Oldtown. Maester Aemon is already dead and they showed Sam's love for knowledge quite often, so it'll be an easy decision.

Oldtown has been mentioned 2 or 3 times this season alone when it was never mentioned before. Randyll Tarly with family are cast for S6, he's going South.

Yup, as the previous commenter said, Oldtown and Sam wanting to become a Maester has been well flagged already, and with Randyll and Co being cast for S6, Sam will probably go south via Horn Hill. I can imagine a scenario where Jon sends him, Gily and baby off before the FTW moment.

I think Sam will go to Oldtown. In addition to other plot reasons, it's a great way to give us some info on The Others, as Sam finds some old dusty forgotten tome in the library. His work in Oldtown will be important. Otherwise, how is he ever going to become a wizard?

If there is fractured leadership at the wall and fighting between wildings and remaining Night's watch men ensue, maybe Sam takes it upon himself as holder of Aemon's office to head to oldtown.

He can forge the letter as cover. Jon can also tell him to flee if anything happens to him and give him the letter as cover.

Nobody has yet to think that they are any worse off without a maester

I don't think they can dispense with Sam going to Oldtown. To my mind it is VERY important to the overall story, tying in the faceless men's motivation and what all the (dragon?) glass candle is about. That bit is not a one-off like the Quentin supblot They can drop Gilly off and out of the story with no repercussions in Tarleyville, since there is no Val/Mance/Mance's son in the (TV) picture. Sam being in Oldtown, stirring the conspiracy pot has to happen.

I don't see Sam getting killed off.

Not at this point, at any rate - that's not to say he's going to stay safe, but I really don't see the show killing the character off right now. I'd love to see him go to Oldtown & giving that job to another character just isn't good enough.

With Randyll Tarly and company being cast, there's really no reason for the show to do that if Sam isn't going down south.

I don't see Sam getting killed off.

Not at this point, at any rate - that's not to say he's going to stay safe, but I really don't see the show killing the character off right now. I'd love to see him go to Oldtown & giving that job to another character just isn't good enough.

With Randyll Tarly and company being cast, there's really no reason for the show to do that if Sam isn't going down south.

THe casting of the Tarly family isn't a issue in Sam's survival, Randyll Tarly has a big part to play next season in King's Landing. I don't think we'll have a Tarly family reunion.

:agree: The questions is whether he is sent away before FTW or early next season.

I think it will be before. Something like Jon comings back from beyond the wall and finds out that Sam was attacked and decides to send him to Oldtown to become the new maester. Next season Sam arrives in Oldtown. Kind of like how the did it with Tyrion.

I agree. Jon sees how dangerous it is for Sam at the Wall. He needs a Maester. He sends Sam away. Then FTW .... End.

eta: and also as noted above, Sam can then arrive in Oldstown next season without the need for spending weeks at sea.

I agree. Jon sees how dangerous it is for Sam at the Wall. He needs a Maester. He sends Sam away. Then FTW .... End.

eta: and also as noted above, Sam can then arrive in Oldstown next season without the need for spending weeks at sea.

also i believe casting calls for sam's dad went out. i would love a scene of sam+dad. also you know sam is going to claim gilly's son as his bastard.

THe casting of the Tarly family isn't a issue in Sam's survival, Randyll Tarly has a big part to play next season in King's Landing. I don't think we'll have a Tarly family reunion.

I think it will be before. Something like Jon comings back from beyond the wall and finds out that Sam was attacked and decides to send him to Oldtown to become the new maester. Next season Sam arrives in Oldtown. Kind of like how the did it with Tyrion.

I don't think he does at all have anything to do in KL. you could have Mace do everything he did in the books and he is probably already going back to KL at the end of the season.

I can see Sam living at the Citadel for several years, forging his maester's chain and visiting Gilly and the child a couple of times a year. It's not that far from Oldetown to Horn Hill. If the Wall and the Watch still exist, I can even see him finally returning to Castle Black and living there until his death by natural causes at a ripe old age.

I wonder if the Citadel has correspondence courses via raven?

The argument that Randyll Tarly is important in King's Landing hold up--however, the casting calls calls for a wife, a daughter, and a son (Dickon, Daddy's favorite son). The only reason they would need the whole family is if Sam takes Gilly home to his parents for shelter.

I can see Sam living at the Citadel for several years, forging his maester's chain and visiting Gilly and the child a couple of times a year. It's not that far from Oldetown to Horn Hill. If the Wall and the Watch still exist, I can even see him finally returning to Castle Black and living there until his death by natural causes at a ripe old age.

I wonder if the Citadel has correspondence courses via raven?

The argument that Randyll Tarly is important in King's Landing hold up--however, the casting calls calls for a wife, a daughter, and a son (Dickon, Daddy's favorite son). The only reason they would need the whole family is if Sam takes Gilly home to his parents for shelter.

yeah i cannot think of a scene his father does that Mace cannot do or even lady O with him.

Sam explaining to his father "this is my bastard son" would be great.

yeah i cannot think of a scene his father does that Mace cannot do or even lady O with him.

Sam explaining to his father "this is my bastard son" would be great.

Yeah, it would be great.

Sam: Dad, here's my wildling woman and our Bastard son.

Randyll: Didn't know you had it in you, son. Congrats. Oh, here's your brother, he's going to inherit the family Valyrian steel sword since he's so macho.

Gilly: Sam killed a White Walker. They call him Sam the Slayer now.

Randyll: What? Next you'll tell me he's seen grumpkins and snarks, too.

Sam: No. Just, you know--Others, White Walkers, wights.

Oh and giants that ride mammoths, but they're OK--they hang with the free folk. We let them come across the wall. The free folks and giants and mammoths, that is--not the Others.

Well, I gotta run to the Citadel and forge that chain. Better brush up on your Old Language, that's all the giants speak. The Others probably won't make it this far south, but keep that sword handy. Got any dragon glass?

Archived