Remaining Books

Belgarad

Going to be tough here, cause that's the only way people learn.

GRRM knows his books better than you. He knows his characters better than you. He knows his plots better than you. If he says it's seven books, it's seven books.

He's writing it, he has the best guess on how many are going to be released. Just because you think that might be too hard for him doesn't mean it's true.

Do you honestly believe that the remaining plot elements; Dany gathering her Army and invading Westeros, the Second Dance of Dragons, a conclusion to the Ironborn plot, the death of Cersei and her children, vengeance upon the Bolton's and the Frey's, a conclusion to Stannis' story, the fallout at the Wall, and most importantly of all, the battle against the White Walkers, can all be wrapped up with the appropriate attention to detail that Martin has used in the preceding five books within only two more books? Sure Martin said that it will be seven books, but as always he reserves the right to change that number, a right that has already been invoked multiple times up to this point.

Edit: I didn't see that you conceded that 8 books is a possibility while I was writing this post.

Going to be tough here, cause that's the only way people learn.

GRRM knows his books better than you. He knows his characters better than you. He knows his plots better than you. If he says it's seven books, it's seven books.

He's writing it, he has the best guess on how many are going to be released. Just because you think that might be too hard for him doesn't mean it's true.

I'm pretty sure people 'learned' when Dance was going to be out a year after Feast. Oops. Or maybe 5+ years instead.

And they learned again when the problem was the 'Meereen knot' 'five year gap' that was solved with Feast/Dance and so Winds was going to be out by 2014. Oops. Not out yet.

Based on what he, himself, has said, that Dany spends many chapters with the Dothraki for god's sake, it is doubtful if she even gets to Westeros in Winds.

He will never finish the story in 2 books. If he finishes in 8 books we should count ourselves lucky.

What a peener. I hope future generations appreciate how lucky they'll be to read the whole thing in one go, this waiting game is killing me

By the way am I the only one who begrudges him all the time spent at conventions? I feel like he's taking a victory lap before he's finished the race

My guess is 8 books, mainly because as the show passes the books next season the pressure to get them out before the show ends will be over.

In fact he will then have incentive to add more to the books as a selling point for the final books "You may know the ending thanks to the show but there is a LOT more here than the show".

So I think he pads book 7 and then it leads into book 8. So book 7 becomes a Time for Wolves and then book 8 is a Dream of Spring.

book 6 should come out early 2016, book 7 @ 2019 and book 8 @ 2020

How on earth is he going to write two books in two years..?

What a peener. I hope future generations appreciate how lucky they'll be to read the whole thing in one go, this waiting game is killing me

By the way am I the only one who begrudges him all the time spent at conventions? I feel like he's taking a victory lap before he's finished the race

This comes up all the time. It's silly to "begrudge" him because writing is hard, taxing work that cannot be forced. You can't expect a writer to spend 10 hours inside his house writing, go to sleep, repeat. They have lives to lead.

That said, it does bother me that GRRM seems to be unable to write while traveling or attending cons. Any writer can get 200-300 words out in 90 minutes, and any writer can find 90 minutes in a day.

This comes up all the time. It's silly to "begrudge" him because writing is hard, taxing work that cannot be forced. You can't expect a writer to spend 10 hours inside his house writing, go to sleep, repeat. They have lives to lead.

That said, it does bother me that GRRM seems to be unable to write while traveling or attending cons. Any writer can get 200-300 words out in 90 minutes, and any writer can find 90 minutes in a day.

Well, there's your problem. If he could write anywhere outside his special chair, with the candles and the incense and the new age music playing in the background and shit, I'd not care so much. But if you can't write while travelling and you spend half the year on the road getting your pubes combed by capital-F Fans...

I mean, look, I know it's silly. But what the hell? I don't know the motherfucker, I just like his books. I don't need to be kind to him. Get back to work, you blobfish-looking motherfucker!

Well, there's your problem. If he could write anywhere outside his special chair, with the candles and the incense and the new age music playing in the background and shit, I'd not care so much. But if you can't write while travelling and you spend half the year on the road getting your pubes combed by capital-F Fans...

I mean, look, I know it's silly. But what the hell? I don't know the motherfucker, I just like his books. I don't need to be kind to him. Get back to work, you blobfish-looking motherfucker!

Dude isnt just writing some story, he has an entire fucking universe in his head.

If he has to write at home so that we dont get mistakes and bad chronology then I am fine with that.

I just hope I am alive to finish the damn things.

Dude isnt just writing some story, he has an entire fucking universe in his head.

If he has to write at home so that we dont get mistakes and bad chronology then I am fine with that.

I just hope I am alive to finish the damn things.

Then he should stay home. And write the books that will be his legacy.

Not edit whatever other side project he's doing that no one has or will ever hear of, or his movie theatre, or conventions or the long, long, long list of random stuff his does that isn't writing the books that will be his legacy.

I pretty much agree. I'm firmly in the "artists can do what they want when they want so long as they haven't already taken people's money" camp, but I'm still personally a little frustrated at the man's pace.

As for the topic at hand, I think he can easily finish in 2 books. Too many people cite the trilogy format and 5 year gap when forecasting the next 2 books. For all we know George has scrapped the idea of Dany going to Westeros.

He could do 8, 9, 12 for all we know, but I think it's impossible to say how the next 2000+ pages are going to turn out. I mean, something like Battle of the Redgrass Field followed by the WW invasion could cut 50% of the characters out of the story in 4 chapters.

Best we can hope for as of now, is the next book to come out next year around the same time Season 6 airs. After that... who knows another 3-5 years for the next. If the series does take an eighth book, it may be left to someone else to 'Finish' it, sadly.

Iron islands and the riverlands are one kingdom. It was ruled by one king when Aegon came over.

So iron islands and the riverlands can't be separated in my opinion

Yes, that was the point of my lame joke about 9 kingdoms means maybe 9 books (I was just trying to make fun of GRRM's publisher who made the point about 8 kingdoms and 8 books).

So really the Iron Islands was the "real" kingdom and the riverlands were basically owned by the Iron Islands. But in TWOIAF, the riverlands had its own section separate from the section discussing the Iron Islands. And the riverlands we not always part of the Iron Islands. So I don't think it would be impossible to consider them separate kingdoms at some point. They have separate "High Lords" or "Wardens" under the Kingdom of Westeros, so why not consider them separate kingdoms for purposes of how many books can be justified? It is an arbitrary concept in any event.

*Sits back with popcorn and waits for thread to get locked*

Can someone explain to me why it is perfectly acceptable to address issues raised from the text of the books in the show forums but not any aspect of the shows in the book forums? If it is just about waiting a week after the show airs to give people time to watch it first, then I completely understand. And I get that it has only been about 3 days now. But after next Sunday, when everyone has had an ample opportunity to watch the episode, what is the rationale? I try to stick to the rules. I just want to understand the basis behind the rules a little better.

I think he can do it in two books. Two VERY LONG books.

The dance won't last as long this time. Fewer dragons both metaphorical and literal. It could be over in one or two good flying battles.

I don't think the problem is the length of the dance -- I agree that can be wrapped up as quickly. What seems to be the problem is getting Dany to Westeros -- and the dragons have to get to Westeros. Can that action be done quickly enough? I think if GRRM plotted things out more carefully, it probably could. But the way GRRM writes, I don't know. He especially seems to have trouble moving Dany's plot along. But I am still holding out hope that he can do it in 7 books.

Can someone explain to me why it is perfectly acceptable to address issues raised from the text of the books in the show forums but not any aspect of the shows in the book forums? If it is just about waiting a week after the show airs to give people time to watch it first, then I completely understand. And I get that it has only been about 3 days now. But after next Sunday, when everyone has had an ample opportunity to watch the episode, what is the rationale? I try to stick to the rules. I just want to understand the basis behind the rules a little better.

While I understand your concerns regarding the TV audience vs Book readers, I think, in this case, the person joking about waiting for this thread to be locked was more due to the fact that a few people were trying to devolve this conversation into personal attacks on the author.

Archived