Does Dany's infertility make her the last Targ?

Ollie 4 Mayor

Well, if you are saying R+L=/=J, Aegon is fake, and there are no hidden Targs, then the Targaryen line is ended regardless of whether or not Dany can have children.

Dany's children would assume the name of their father and fall under that line.

If you accept that decedents from a female Targaryen are Targaryen regardless of their father's line, then there are tons of Targaryens around.

Well, it's been said multiple times during the books that it doesn't work like that, at least for other Houses it's been made clear that if there are only female heirs the husband takes the name of the house he marries into to keep the line going.

Maybe for things for House Targaryen are different (by the way, it's a bit strange that their family tree always had a male heir in 300 years).

Are we sure that Aerion Brightflame's line died out?

Somewhere in one of Ned's chapters in aGoT, he says that Robert hunted them all down.....so in theory yes they did.

Yeah. All we know is that his baby son was disinherited by the great council, I think.

He was passed over because of his name, Maegor, not disinherited.

MMD's 'prophecy' says:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the winds like leaves. When your womb quickens again and you bear a living child. Then, he will return and not before."

Let's break it down.

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east

Quentin, from Sunspear, came from Dorne, in the west, to Essos, in the east, where he died. The sun rose in the west, and set in the east.

When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the winds like leaves

Dany notes that the Dothraki sea is drying up, a sign that winter is coming, as she wanders with Drogon. As for the mountains, as pointed out in the Citadel, two of her dragons cause two pyramids to crumble and fall apart.

When your womb quickens and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.

In her last chapter in Dance, she gets he moonsblood back. He womb has quickened. This means that she either a) had a miscarriage or b. started her period, meaning she isn't infertile like she thought. Drogo will come back. As her son.

ETA: when you put b and ) it makes b)

Is Sweetrobin the last Arryn be patrilinealn descent he is but he isn't seen that way. His first cousin once removed has the right to call himself an Arryn once he takes the Eyrie. Presumably if Dany took the Iron Throne she could find a distant relative who could ride a dragon and name them Targ.

We might have to get the D+E Winterfell story to learn more about how houses deal with only females to carry on the line.

I would think if that was the route Dany took, then other contenders would make their claim.

Regardless, I don't think Dany is barren and I don't think she is the last Targaryen. I believe Jon is the legitimate heir and that there may be others, like Brightflame out there. Technically speaking, I think you can also count all Blackfyres remaining as Targaryen. Blackfyres did descend from the male Targaryen line and were legitimized.

Didn't many people think she had a miscarriage at the end of ADWD? If that WAS a miscarriage, I suppose we're in for at least one more teen pregnancy and another baby Targaryen...just in case the rest of them won't make it (Jon? Jon???? Don't die, Jon!!!!).

We might have to get the D+E Winterfell story to learn more about how houses deal with only females to carry on the line.

I would think if that was the route Dany took, then other contenders would make their claim.

Regardless, I don't think Dany is barren and I don't think she is the last Targaryen. I believe Jon is the legitimate heir and that there may be others, like Brightflame out there. Technically speaking, I think you can also count all Blackfyres remaining as Targaryen. Blackfyres did descend from the male Targaryen line and were legitimized.

No need for that.

Tywin explains to Tyrion that when he marries Sansa Stark he can take the Stark name and rule Winterfell.

And Ramsay does the same with fArya.

Maybe for things for House Targaryen are different (by the way, it's a bit strange that their family tree always had a male heir in 300 years).

House Targaryen passed over any female heirs (and heirs through the female line). Case in point: Viserys II instead of Daena and later Daemon Blackfyre.

Well, it's been said multiple times during the books that it doesn't work like that, at least for other Houses it's been made clear that if there are only female heirs the husband takes the name of the house he marries into to keep the line going.

Can you please give an example?

Can you please give an example?

As I said later, Tyrion Lannister and Ramsay Snow/Bolton are ready to become Starks to rule Winterfell. Sansa and fArya become only the way for them to get into the House and rule (it's always the husband ruling, even if it's not a real Stark or whatever).

This is explained first by Tywin Lannister (when he explains why Tyrion needs to marry Sansa) and then in the Reek chapters when fArya is introduced. Ramsay Bolton needs to marry a Stark (or a fake one) to become a Stark and claim Winterfell as his own seat. Of course he could just go there and try to rule, but the North will never accept him. The marriage is the key to make him a Stark.

Context is King.

Mirri Maz Duur knows that when a Khal dies, his widow is taken back to Vaes Dothrak and left to live out the rest of her life with the Dosh Khaleen. She doesn't expect Daenerys to ever have the chance to have another child.

That's what she's talking about, not infertility. She wasn't trying to be prophetic, and had no way of knowing that Dany would hatch dragons and refuse to go be stuck with the widows of other Khals until her death.

However, given that we're potentially seeing what MMD described happening (the son of the House Martell rising in the west and setting in the east; the Dothraki Sea going dry; and the mountainous pyramids of Meereen crumbling), there is a good chance that Dany will be reunited with Drogo when she dies giving birth to her only child who will live. Given her mother's pregnancy history, it's not a stretch that Dany could have multiple miscarriages and/or stillbirths. And if she dies in childbirth, she will be reunited with her husband in whatever afterlife there might be.

Context is King.

Mirri Maz Duur knows that when a Khal dies, his widow is taken back to Vaes Dothrak and left to live out the rest of her life with the Dosh Khaleen. She doesn't expect Daenerys to ever have the chance to have another child.

That's what she's talking about, not infertility. She wasn't trying to be prophetic, and had no way of knowing that Dany would hatch dragons and refuse to go be stuck with the widows of other Khals until her death.

However, given that we're potentially seeing what MMD described happening (the son of the House Martell rising in the west and setting in the east; the Dothraki Sea going dry; and the mountainous pyramids of Meereen crumbling), there is a good chance that Dany will be reunited with Drogo when she dies giving birth to her only child who will live. Given her mother's pregnancy history, it's not a stretch that Dany could have multiple miscarriages and/or stillbirths. And if she dies in childbirth, she will be reunited with her husband in whatever afterlife there might be.

Oh PLEASE let Dany's story not become a historically accurate series of an average woman's miscarriages, stillbirths, narrow escapes from perinatal death and finally a shoulder dystochia to finish her off. Please, please, please.

Archived