TTTNE 456: Something Something Spam Side

Buckwheat

Thanks RaheB,Helena. Great to see you both are here too. :grouphug: Hugtackle is always super effective :lol:

Life's been the same really, big picture hasn't changed. Some highs, some lows, lose something, gain something, lose some friends, make some new ones etc. Nothing really worth commenting on. It's been alright.

How are you two? Rhae I saw in the pictionary threadyou were unwell. Are you well now? Is it something serious?

And Helena how is your life going now? Something new?

Well well well. This is a very good news. Congratulations!  Tell us about the lucky guy.

That's nice to hear, nothing special means nothing bad which is good. (I'm having a very positive day today) for the future do you have any special plans?

I had tonsillectomy last week and recovery has been rather painful. I'm somewhat better now :)

NYM, OMG CONGRATUALTIONS!!!! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: it's wonderful news! I'm so so so so happy for you!!!

In other news, mom and I are rewatching Star Wars. I almost forgot how much I love these movies. :love:

Oh I forgot, this must be the time for your summer vacation. Good. Enjoy your time. What else are you reading btw, other than course work?
I'm currently preparing for some finance qualifying exams. Quite interesting so far. Let's see how it turn out later.

Yep, I have my results now. Passed first year with a solid 2:1 which I am pleased with :)
What am I reading? Well, since the end of June, I've read:
Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman) Othello (Shakespeare), Howards End (E.M. Forster), The Mechanical (Ian Tregillis), The Lions of Al-Rassan (Guy Gavriel Kay), A Court of Thorns and Roses (Sarah J Maas), To Reign in Hell, The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde), The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux), The Grace of Kings (Ken Liu), The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman), The Lords of the North (Bernard Cornwell), Stardust (Neil Gaiman) and next up will hopefully be Good Omens (Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett) before Fool's Quest (Robin Hobb) is released in a few days time. Yes, I've read quite a lot lately :lol:
Good luck with your exams! Is this for a new job, or is it related to your wanting to go to university?

Oh, and btw, Koba is having a baby. A real one this time, no pretending, no rumours.

That's nice to hear, nothing special means nothing bad which is good. (I'm having a very positive day today) for the future do you have any special plans?
I had tonsillectomy last week and recovery has been rather painful. I'm somewhat better now :)
NYM, OMG CONGRATUALTIONS!!!! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: it's wonderful news! I'm so so so so happy for you!!!
In other news, mom and I are rewatching Star Wars. I almost forgot how much I love these movies. :love:

ITV are having a Star Wars weekend I think. I'll probably tune in for Empire Strikes Back, which was always my favourite :D

Yep, I have my results now. Passed first year with a solid 2:1 which I am pleased with :)
Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman) Othello (Shakespeare), Howards End (E.M. Forster), The Mechanical (Ian Tregillis), The Lions of Al-Rassan (Guy Gavriel Kay), A Court of Thorns and Roses (Sarah J Maas), To Reign in Hell, The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde), The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux), The Grace of Kings (Ken Liu), The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman), The Lords of the North (Bernard Cornwell), Stardust (Neil Gaiman) and next up will hopefully be Good Omens (Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett) before Fool's Quest (Robin Hobb) is released in a few days time. Yes, I've read quite a lot lately :lol:
Good luck with your exams! Is this for a new job, or is it related to your wanting to go to university?

Oh, and btw, Koba is having a baby. A real one this time, no pretending, no rumours.
  ITV are having a Star Wars weekend I think. I'll probably tune in for Empire Strikes Back, which was always my favourite :D

And how did you like The Picture of Dorian Grey? Also :bowdown: I haven't read a lot of books lately I kinda miss it, but I've been busy and since I'm on sick leave I've been feeling like poop. But I'll go on vacation later in August and hope to get back to reading.

Empire Strikes Back is also my favorite :cheers: the runner up is Attack of the Clones (yeah, I know shame on me, but I can't help it. Childhood memories.)

I had tonsillectomy last week and recovery has been rather painful. I'm somewhat better now

NYM, OMG CONGRATUALTIONS!!!! it's wonderful news! I'm so so so so happy for you!!!

In other news, mom and I are rewatching Star Wars. I almost forgot how much I love these movies.

Yes, nothing bad. Funny thing, when we grow up, our expectations fall so low from life, that we take lack of something bad as good. :lol:  true.

And tonsillectomy? No one in my family has ever had it, my friends neither so I don't know much about it. Hopefully it wasn't painful? Good thing you're recovering now. :)

And I have not watched any star wars ever ...  :leaving:   I know Yoda though :lol:

Yep, I have my results now. Passed first year with a solid 2:1 which I am pleased with
Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman) Othello (Shakespeare), Howards End (E.M. Forster), The Mechanical (Ian Tregillis), The Lions of Al-Rassan (Guy Gavriel Kay), A Court of Thorns and Roses (Sarah J Maas), To Reign in Hell, The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde), The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux), The Grace of Kings (Ken Liu), The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman), The Lords of the North (Bernard Cornwell), Stardust (Neil Gaiman) and next up will hopefully be Good Omens (Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett) before Fool's Quest (Robin Hobb) is released in a few days time. Yes, I've read quite a lot lately

ITV are having a Star Wars weekend I think. I'll probably tune in for Empire Strikes Back, which was always my favourite

2:1?  Don't understand it. It looks good though? :lol:  Explain a bit more if you would.

And girl! You read so fast!! I don't give too much time to reading, 2 hours a day. Mostly none on weekends. :(  Currently I'm reading Norwegian Wood (Murakami). I started with Kafka on the Shore, then read Wind-up bord chronicles, this is my third Murakami. I enjoy reading it. :)  I also finished first law trilogy, gentlemen bastards 1-3, Don Quixote (again!!), Ocean at the end of the lane, The Thirteenth Tale, Ancilliary Justice and Ancilliary Sword. My reading speed has increased. I'm continuously trying to shift time from other things to reading, but then something comes up. :P I still can't pick up something demanding in literature, like Joyce etc, because I currently lack the energy and time to do that. So just books that do not demand too much effort to read.

Also, a confession. First time in my life I rage-quit a book. After reading 40% of it, and being continuously gagged and smothered by the verbose and pretentious rambling of this old woman, I quit 'Beloved'. I admit it, it is the worst book I've read in my life. It is eerily close in writing to the ghastly Indian daily soaps that my mother used to watch ten years ago. And whatever the message she wanted to convey is lost in layers and layers of meaningless text. I hate that book with a passion. Only other thing I hate as much proably is my current prime minister, but let's not go there. Then probably I'm not qualified enough to read it, or so people on the internet would have me believe, but I don;t believe it. I think it is bad writing that's all.

The exams are for job and masters both. Will help me to shift my field of expertise that's all. I also gave a thought to pursue masters in advanced data analytics, but at the end decided not to. Hopefully it is a good decision.

Yes, nothing bad. Funny thing, when we grow up, our expectations fall so low from life, that we take lack of something bad as good. :lol:  true.
And tonsillectomy? No one in my family has ever had it, my friends neither so I don't know much about it. Hopefully it wasn't painful? Good thing you're recovering now. :)

And I have not watched any star wars ever ...  :leaving:   I know Yoda though :lol:

2:1?  Don't understand it. It looks good though? :lol:  Explain a bit more if you would.

And girl! You read so fast!! I don't give too much time to reading, 2 hours a day. Mostly none on weekends. :(  Currently I'm reading Norwegian Wood (Murakami). I started with Kafka on the Shore, then read Wind-up bord chronicles, this is my third Murakami. I enjoy reading it. :)  I also finished first law trilogy, gentlemen bastards 1-3, Don Quixote (again!!), Ocean at the end of the lane, The Thirteenth Tale, Ancilliary Justice and Ancilliary Sword. My reading speed has increased. I'm continuously trying to shift time from other things to reading, but then something comes up. :P I still can't pick up something demanding in literature, like Joyce etc, because I currently lack the energy and time to do that. So just books that do not demand too much effort to read.

Also, a confession. First time in my life I rage-quit a book. After reading 40% of it, and being continuously gagged and smothered by the verbose and pretentious rambling of this old woman, I quit 'Beloved'. I admit it, it is the worst book I've read in my life. It is eerily close in writing to the ghastly Indian daily soaps that my mother used to watch ten years ago. And whatever the message she wanted to convey is lost in layers and layers of meaningless text. I hate that book with a passion. Only other thing I hate as much proably is my current prime minister, but let's not go there. Then probably I'm not qualified enough to read it, or so people on the internet would have me believe, but I don;t believe it. I think it is bad writing that's all.

The exams are for job and masters both. Will help me to shift my field of expertise that's all. I also gave a thought to pursue masters in advanced data analytics, but at the end decided not to. Hopefully it is a good decision.

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate observation. And the funny thing is that I remember making a promise when I was 15-16is that I would never settle for things that I don't 100% love/want. And it took me only two years to turn my back on that promise and make the first compromise with life, then the second and the third and the fourth. Right now I'm completing Level 5 - I don't like my job but it could be worse and it pays well so I stick with it. Regardless, nothing bad is at least relatively good.

Tonsillectomy is a pretty common and routine surgery for little kids around here, at least half the people I know went through it. The catch is that the older you are the worse it gets. Recovery is very painful and takes a pretty long time for a grownup.

Trying to think of a book I quit. I think the only book I quit was some teen book series about a boring girl, a boring castle and other boring things. While the girl+castle+adventure combo is my kind of read, this story was so unbearably boring I quit halfway through the first book. Oh and there was a book called Sugar Blues which is about all the ways sugar kills you. As I am paranoid enough and also against all the state of the art nutrition theories that are all about how every common good group is actually poisonous.

If you don't need that specific qualification for your job, it sounds like the good decision to me. but then we all know how fond I am of uni courses.

UK degree classification goes like this:

First: 70+ 

Upper Second Class (2:1): 60-69

Lower Second Class (2:2): 50-59

Third Class: (40-49)

Pass: (30-39)

That makes it look like a low bar, but those aren't percentages in the normal understanding, and getting anywhere near 100 is basically impossible in lots of subjects. Generally, anything below a 2:2 is really not that useful, and for better jobs and post-graduate courses you usually need a 2:1 or higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate observation. And the funny thing is that I remember making a promise when I was 15-16is that I would never settle for things that I don't 100% love/want. And it took me only two years to turn my back on that promise and make the first compromise with life, then the second and the third and the fourth. Right now I'm completing Level 5 - I don't like my job but it could be worse and it pays well so I stick with it. Regardless, nothing bad is at least relatively good.

Tonsillectomy is a pretty common and routine surgery for little kids around here, at least half the people I know went through it. The catch is that the older you are the worse it gets. Recovery is very painful and takes a pretty long time for a grownup.

Trying to think of a book I quit. I think the only book I quit was some teen book series about a boring girl, a boring castle and other boring things. While the girl+castle+adventure combo is my kind of read, this story was so unbearably boring I quit halfway through the first book. Oh and there was a book called Sugar Blues which is about all the ways sugar kills you. As I am paranoid enough and also against all the state of the art nutrition theories that are all about how every common good group is actually poisonous.

If you don't need that specific qualification for your job, it sounds like the good decision to me. but then we all know how fond I am of uni courses.

IKR? We have to be satisfied just to be fine. Well fine by me. Also, "I don't like my job weel, but it pays fine so I stick with it" is how most the world rolls, including me. So there it is. hih five!

And I know, tonsillectomy is common, but just no one around ever had ir. There was this one girl in primary school, but that is all I remember of someone having it. And hope you recover well. :cheers:

The books you suggest seem okay to quit, and non fiction is okay to quit anyhow. As for sugar, well everything kills. Whatever we eat is not making us younger, and we're slowly dying anyhow, so...

UK degree classification goes like this:

First: 70+ 

Upper Second Class (2:1): 60-69

Lower Second Class (2:2): 50-59

Third Class: (40-49)

Pass: (30-39)

That makes it look like a low bar, but those aren't percentages in the normal understanding, and getting anywhere near 100 is basically impossible in lots of subjects. Generally, anything below a 2:2 is really not that useful, and for better jobs and post-graduate courses you usually need a 2:1 or higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification

Yo Ab! Long time no see. :cheers:

Thanks for explaining that uni rating system. And yes, that does seem good. We get grades here, from A, A- to D they have a weightage of 10, 9, ... , 4. And weighed with number of credits of the course, they're used to calculate a GPA out of 10. Most of the marking is relative, but in some courses where it is absolute, I remember the marking was similar to this. >80 was A, >72 was A-, >64 was B and so on. Most departments had a pass at 30, but my department (Physics, phew!) and Humanities I believe had a pass at 40. Fairly similar I'd say.

Hey guys!!!  Sorry for not posting in a looong time, but I've been lurking.  

Rhae, I'm glad to hear you're able to eat again.  Hope recovery quickens soon!   :grouphug:

Nym, Congratulations!!!!  It's good to hear from you :)

This summer has been delightful.  I've  been able to see many of my close friends either in state or out of state.  The Lake has stayed refreshing throughout the heat, and a pair of ospreys have been hanging around for the past few weeks.  A bald eagle passed by yesterday, and besides the regular waterfowl and woodland creatures around, there's a (assumed) family of grey foxes living in the woods!  As cool as this is to me, I have more than slight misgivings about them as they managed to snatch one of my chickens and leave another to die :(   Watson continues to madden us while being utterly hilarious.  

Gymnastics has been over for a few weeks, so I still have a few more before practices start again.  I've been trying to maintain a workout routine, but it's kinda haphazard.   Still feels good though.  

I did just recently get a new laptop!  That's right, no more musical computers for this guy :p  Our dear old friend MightyPotato would be proud, I didn't get a Mac :D  Windows 8 on a Dell=just good enough for me.  

I'll try to keep in touch better, glad to see you all are doing well.  cheers!!!

AK, that is indeed true about food and life and all. Quitting books is fine, imo, one reads for pleasure and if you don't enjoy what you read why would you keep going and spoiling your pleasure.

KJR, sounds like a very nice summer. Even if haphazard, exercise is good. Keep it up! Enjoy the new laptop, I really enjoy win 8 to be honest. Took some time to get used to it but I like it a lot by now. Don't worry the thread is invincible.

I'm on episode 3 right now. Anakin is awesome I can't believe that he will go nuts in just about 40 minutes. Other than that these movies are still amazing no matter what anybody says.

Archived