Will the Freys hold the twins at the end of the series?

I would like the Twins destroyed and the Freys with it, but, no, I don't think it will happen that way.

Totally random thought: WHY HASN'T ANYONE IN 8000 YEARS BUILT ANOTHER BRIDGE?

Because the Freys probably prevented it.

It goes back to a question I ask a lot. Why didn't Aegon or the Targaryens have more infrastructure. The Freys would not have been able to say no to the King. All of those Kings since Aegon the Conquerer and no infrastructure. It does not make sense.

My personal crackpot/over-arching theory in which Varys, Illyrio, and whoever else is with them, are planning on replacing the old guard in the various key Houses with younger, more capable, and most importantly, more malleable heirs. Possibly in line with the Azor Ahai legend,(AA needs companions and so forth) but more likely to be to try and have a more egalitarian society. The Freys are not 100% trash. One of them I'm sure is a halfway decent person. Statistics favors at least one of them not being human garbage. There are just too damn many of them.

I would like the Twins destroyed and the Freys with it, but, no, I don't think it will happen that way.

Good effing question. Another one is why is no else even entertaining the idea of doing anything to circumvent the Freys in the first place.

It goes back to a question I ask a lot. Why didn't Aegon or the Targaryens have more infrastructure. The Freys would not have been able to say no to the King. All of those Kings since Aegon the Conquerer and no infrastructure. It does not make sense.

The valyrians built all their infrastructure with the help of magic, magic that Targaryens have no access to anymore.

I don't think it's that unreasonable that there's only a few crossings. The Green Fork is difficult to cross, iirc, and the two easiest spots are the Ruby Ford and the Twins. Add that with constant warfare in the Riverlands, where bridges are often destroyed. Wood bridges burn. The Twins is a stone bridge.

I'm guessing there are more bridges across the Green Fork, but the Twins is probably one of the only ones big enough to where armies and large caravans can cross with ease.

They probably have and those bridges have been destroyed, or not been strong enough to last. It is not like bridges are cheap and the Freys have spent a lot of money protecting and maintaining their bridge.

The Freys have only had that bridge and land for 600 years, they must control a fair bit of land in that vicinity so it's not like someother House can come and build their own bridge on Frey property and call it their own, that too would belong to the Freys.

There are too many Freys for them all to die and not all are deserving of it. Given that GRRM likes to "keep it real" in his writings (as far as fantasy allows) in the real world what should justly happen and what actually happens are more often than not two different things. The Rosby Freys (the "good" Freys) are just as likely to be offered to the Sparrows as scapegoats for the RW and killed as they are to inherit the Twins. More likely imho. I suspect Black Walder wins the Twins in the end simply because he is the most capable, the most cunning, and the most ruthless. But who knows.

I am very curious myself if all Freys will pie at the end and I have made some estimations. I am almost 100% sure that there will be two main events in the next book that reduce their numbers:

1. In the North, Hosteen, Fat Walda, Big Walder, and (if he's actually there) Elmar will die either at the hands of Manderly or Stannis. The Manderlys and most likely all other Northeners will ally with Stannis on the condition that the Freys will be punished. That should lead to further bloodshed. Being the moralist hardliner he is, Stannis cannot let the Freys pass his judgment if the Northeners basically force his hand.

2. If Walder dies, there will be an all-out war of succession among his children. Edwyn and Black Walder, and mybe even more will rally their brethren and won't stop slaughtering each other until no opposing Frey is left.

At least event 1 is likely to happen in the next novel, if event 2 happens too, there won't be much Freys left by the end of TWOW.

Interesting option to see the Freys split in fractions. I just hope Walder get's what he deserves, that is a long, healthy put painful and agonizing end of his life.

Maybe they will hold the Twins at the end but maybe not in the Epilogue!

I could see them survive the war and the winter more or less "unharmed" at first.

Assuming for a second Rickon inherits Winterfell and the position as Warden of the North (that is Bran stays beyond the Wall / w/the CotF, Jon dies/becomes King/whatever, Sansa and possibly Arya are "married off").

Rickon seems like an unusually angry child to me. Maybe, after the Winter, he raises an Army and takes revenge for what they did to his family and kills the remaining Freys. He could fake a "border incident" (the border w/the lands of the Crannogmen) and give the Frey lands to them.

Maybe the gods were acting through Walder, perhaps they were pissed that Robb broke his sworn word and used the Freys as their instrument of justice to punish Robb.

Yeah, maybe. Maybe the gods punished Ned too, to not tell the truth to Robert on his deathbed, about his children. Cersei was their instrument of justice too.

Or a more likely scenario is that the Gods punished the Usurpers with Hoster, Ned, Jon, Robert and their families all being suffering around the same time.

And that clever Walder Frey got out of it by having troops arrive late to the Trident

It would be cool to see the Freys last the winter and when spring arrives they assume there safe and perhaps the North will not retaliate against them, then one day the Freys hear that Rickon the wildwolf has raised an army of 30000 men (wildlings,Skagosi, and regular northmen) and are marching on the twins, they think about retreat but they realise Lord Edmure Tully has raised his army and are blocking his retreat south, then the Vale lords come down from their mountains and join in on the siege. Lord Frey would be like o snap were all dead lol

So for hundreds of years they keep somebody from building a bridge but are not smart enough to get the idea to build one themselves ?? Nobody is so stupid for 8000yrs.

Also, House Frey doesn't even exist that long IIRC, but I might be wrong about this.

On the other hand, this spot might have changed hands a couple of times in that time span.

So for hundreds of years they keep somebody from building a bridge but are not smart enough to get the idea to build one themselves ?? Nobody is so stupid for 8000yrs.

Also, House Frey doesn't even exist that long IIRC, but I might be wrong about this.

On the other hand, this spot might have changed hands a couple of times in that time span.

Before house Frey existed the Riverlands were too ravaged by war for anyone to build anything.

Archived