Bloom County 2015

drawkcabi

I was too young to appreciate Bloom County when it was running in the papers in the 80's, but Outland was one of my favorite strips in the 90's, maybe second to Calvin and Hobbes. Back then I went and bought all the Bloom County strip collections in books and cherished them.

Then the comic strip Opus was a couple steps down, but for me, diminished Breathed was still better than no Breathed, though I did wait again until all the strips were compiled in a collection again to read them.

Which is why I'm happy he's back again, online only it seems, but yay, Bloom County 2015!

Breathed just can't seem to stay away, like a bad habit.

Thank God.

Online only?  That is too bad, would love to get it back in the paper.  But I guess it joins Retail as part of my morning routine again. I was another than knows it from checking out the collections over and over being too young to read it in its time.

So much of my sense of humor comes from Bloom County. "Billy and the Boingers Bootleg" and "Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things" helped get me through a tough, tough time when I was a kid. There will always be a special place in my heart for Bloom County, and for penguins.

I also think it's fantastic that Donald Trump played some non-trivial part in the return of Bloom County.

Bloom County ended with Trump (in Bill the Cat's body) firing everyone. Outland ended with Steve Dallas eloping with whatshisface from Doonesbury to start a family. Berkeley Breathed is a very prescient cartoonist.

From the first new strip, I wonder if the Outland and Opus strips were all a dream of Opus'?

If so, very Bobby Ewing of Breathed.

I also think it's pretty great Trump was the catalyst for this. He's the candidate that keeps on giving :p

Archived