Acrophobia 18 1/2 - Ravens from Mom, Round 6 Voting

Fragile Bird

Well, my point was that by submitting an answer, you have the possibility of earning points when people vote for your entry.

If 11 people are playing, you have a chance of earning up to 40 points from votes in the round. However if you do not vote, other players only have a chance of earning 36 points. You are lowering the points available to other players while still able to get them all yourself.

Obviously, I cannot force you to vote, and there is nothing in the rules saying you must do so, but my point stands: by not voting, you are giving yourself an advantage that is not fair to the other players.

My initial response was to demonstrate that there was no strategic advantage to not voting,   But really it's an aesthetic choice, I wasn't happy with any answer so I chose not to vote for anyone. 

I'd like the opinions of others, since we have never had this situation before.

I would point out that almost all of us have entered submissions at one time or another and forgotten to vote, not deliberately, but still, we may have received votes while not voting for someone else and thereby received an advantage of the type Emmit points out.

Should we add a new rule to the game, that if you submit an entry you must vote, or else you do not receive any votes?

Howland, I think your entry is very good, as are the other entries. The first three letters happened to inspire many people along similar lines, but the other seven are different. :)

Really, I expect you to vote. Please.

I don't think we should add a rule to this game since it didn't start with that rule in place. If a future host wishes to add the rule that is up to them.

I understand Howland's position, truly I do. Should he win by 3 or less points, I hope he understands mine.

Edited when I remembered that first place votes are worth 3 points, not 4.

This is the third time I've chosen not to vote because I thought no answer deserved points, but it is the first time I've done it when I was still in contention for the win.  I'll vote vote shortly to avoid controversy but I shouldn't have to.  By voting you gain one point and give 7 points to your opponents, unless you know your opponents well enough to guess their entries, or if there are fewer than 8 players in the game, you're always better off voting.

1) 9.     Now you - upon raw ice, our creation made by fire - earn greatness.

2) 8.     Now you'll understand. Rhaegar's innocent offspring cloaked. My boy! Find egg, Gaehaerys!

3) 3.     Now you understand. Rhaegar's infatuation obviously called me... but fling exacerbated Game.

4) 10.   Ned’s your uncle. Rhaegar, I, overcautiously consummated marriage. “Bastard” - forgive. Embrace genealogy!

I'd say people in contention should really vote because it's only a loss of a point but withholds potentially much more from other contenders. It's a risk to cost yourself a point but it's a potentially useful risk.

People out of contention don't get an advantage because they're not in contention.

It's a difficult one. I agree with the others that there shouldn't be a rule as such. The question of gaining an advantage is quite dependent on to whom your votes go and to whom others' votes go. Personally, I'm terrible at recognising authorial signatures. I agree with Emmit and SNA though that the denial of someone else' 3 points (which would also contribute negatively to the race for the hugely important 4 point bonus) has more potential effect on the final tallies than does taking the bonus point for voting. It's not a sure thing though.

FB is right to be concerned as host because it puts her in an awkward position but at the same time I believe H'H should have the right to abstain if he wishes.

I will be voting either soon today or later on today, depending on whether I make my mind up before going out.

Actually, just a quick rule idea came to mind as I was about to post this. What if not voting means you are not applicable for the 4-point bonus?

Part A

1st.      4.     Night yonder unfolds. Realms imperiled - Others coming! Move briskly - fire ensures gain!

2nd.     10.   Ned’s your uncle. Rhaegar, I, overcautiously consummated marriage. “Bastard” - forgive. Embrace genealogy!

3rd.      3.     Now you understand. Rhaegar's infatuation obviously called me... but fling exacerbated Game.

4th.      8.     Now you'll understand. Rhaegar's innocent offspring cloaked. My boy! Find egg, Gaehaerys!

Part B

1st.      10.   Targaryen legacy hidden. Direwolf cloaks.

2nd.     8.     Truly lead, hidden Dragon. Command!

3rd.      7.     True love has dire consequences.

4th.      5.     Tormund's 'Longclaw' hastily drawn, captivated  :wub:     (HARHARHAR!)

May the best acrophobian win!

A:

First: 4.     Night yonder unfolds. Realms imperiled - Others coming! Move briskly - fire ensures gain!

Second: 9.     Now you - upon raw ice, our creation made by fire - earn greatness.

Thirds: 10.   Ned’s your uncle. Rhaegar, I, overcautiously consummated marriage. “Bastard” - forgive. Embrace genealogy!

5.     Ned's your uncle, Rhaegar insisted on courting me but fling ended grievously.

B:

First: 5.     Tormund's 'Longclaw' hastily drawn, captivated :wub:

Second: 6.     To life. Howl, dragon cub.
Thirds: 9.     Take Lightbringer home, Dragon's child.

7.     True love has dire consequences.

I like the idea of saying voting isn't mandatory, but if you don't vote you don't qualify for the 4 point bonus. That might cause problems for an air head like me, who's probably missed more votes than most. Though I think I may be exaggerating there, I'm generally pretty good. Missing deadlines for submissions is more my weakness.

I don't think a rule change is necessary because this really doesn't come up often.

DG's compromise idea is a good one, but is it fair to penalize those who just forgot to vote or were prevented from doing so by weather/computer problems/emergencies.

HH, I agree this has not been our finest round but I think saying all the entries are bad is an exaggeration.  You of course are entitled to have and state your opinions, and I'm sure we all appreciate that you included yourself in the comment, as that means you are not disparaging anyone in particular, but just saying we had a lower-quality round in general.  

DG's compromise idea is a good one, but is it fair to penalize those who just forgot to vote or were prevented from doing so by weather/computer problems/emergencies.

So, maybe, instead of refusing points to those who don't vote, we could give more points to those who vote to increase the voting incentive?

I don't think a rule change is necessary because this really doesn't come up often.

HH, I agree this has not been our finest round but I think saying all the entries are bad is an exaggeration.  You of course are entitled to have and state your opinions, and I'm sure we all appreciate that you included yourself in the comment, as that means you are not disparaging anyone in particular, but just saying we had a lower-quality round in general.  

A fair point, but the player in this scenario will have received a decent number of points anyway (which will stand) to be in contention for the 4-point bonus. But most importantly, the missing 1st place vote could theoretically have swung the race for the 4-point bonus.

So, maybe, instead of refusing points to those who don't vote, we could give more points to those who vote to increase the voting incentive?

That's certainly an option. If the question of the benefit or otherwise of voting was more balanced/conclusive then the incentive is certainly increased.

A:
First: 9. Now you - upon raw ice, our creation made by fire - earn greatness.

Second: 3. Now you understand. Rhaegar's infatuation obviously called me... but fling exacerbated Game.

Third: 5. Ned's your uncle, Rhaegar insisted on courting me but fling ended grievously.

Fourth: 2. Now you understand, Rhaegars intended offspring. Come, manifest.
Be forgiving. Embrace greatness!

B:
First: 10. Targaryen legacy hidden. Direwolf cloaks.

Second: 7. True love has dire consequences.

Third: 8. Truly lead, hidden Dragon. Command!

Fourth: 6. To life. Howl, dragon cub.

Maybe you confused it with Acrophilia.

Anyway, I think, too, that DG's idea is a pretty good compromise.

Yes, must be Acrophillia that I’m think of, if that is the rule there.  

But let me get this straight, it is theoretically possible for you to play with 10 players for 7 rounds, not vote and yet get 30 points plus 1, plus 4, = 35 x 7 = 245 votes and not give any votes to anyone else?

:rofl:

Archived