Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

About Outlander, it's not just Jamie who's handsome. I mean, how gorgeous is Caitriona Balfe?
Can't wait for it to start again.

And regarding GoT, I was yet again thinking about the northern lords. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the casting call I've seen, it seems we're getting a Karstark and an Umber.

I imagine Umber will turn up somewhere with Rickon and hopefully Osha and Shaggy. But what's the point of having a Karstark at this point? Unless it's a completely different character, with a completely different storyline.
He can't pretend to join Stannis and then betray him; there won't be a raven sent to Winterfell and the Boltons. There's no vision of Mel telling Jon about the grey girl on a dying horse. Hell, there can't even be the Star Wars nod with Alys saying, 'you're my only hope, Lord Snow'. No marriage with Sigorn either.

So, if it is a Karstark, what's the point? What's going to be the story here?

She's gorgeous.

The lords, it's the same with the BwB, I think they are making things up. The leader sounds a bit like Lem Lemoncloak, but not really. Maybe these characters will be as much like the book characters as Talisa was like Jeyne.

The first one, like Lem, sort of?

Lachlan:  He’s the big leader of a group of renegades who have turned on the land that they swore to protect. They’re now extorting the poor and vulnerable.  He appears in 2 episodes in season 6.

Flynn: He’s part of an outlaw band. The group is using religion to justify terrorizing and extorting what they need from the people of the countryside. He appears in 2 episodes in season 6. He appears to be part of Lachlan’s band.

Japeth: Another member of the outlaw band is this lieutenant. He’s a “rough-and-ready type” with a strong physical presence, also appearing two episodes.

The lords:

Lord of Noble Northern House: (Casting age anywhere between 25-50) The lord is a savage warrior, and he rules a distinguished house in the very far North, and the role is said to be an impactful one. He’s described as a massive bear of a man with a beard and temper to match, and hatred that run deep, and he can be violent. The show’s looking for someone with a powerful physique who can tower over other cast members, a Northern English Accent and specifies he has to be at least 180 cm tall. The role will be on 2 episodes.

Lord of Northern Stronghold: The show’s looking for an actor in his late thirties or forties to play another lord, one that’s ruthless and calculating. The frightening lord rules a vassal household with a castle stronghold. He’ll be in 3 episodes this year, with 20 days of filming this summer and fall.

I imagine Umber will turn up somewhere with Rickon and hopefully Osha and Shaggy. But what's the point of having a Karstark at this point? Unless it's a completely different character, with a completely different storyline.
He can't pretend to join Stannis and then betray him; there won't be a raven sent to Winterfell and the Boltons. There's no vision of Mel telling Jon about the grey girl on a dying horse. Hell, there can't even be the Star Wars nod with Alys saying, 'you're my only hope, Lord Snow'. No marriage with Sigorn either.

OMG Sigorn, son of the Magnar of Thenns... Remember how in the books, the Thenns were unlike any of the other free folk; they had laws and a lord and WEREN'T MAMA- AND PAPA-EATING CANNIBALS. 

Of all the characters they've butchered in the show, the Thenns are among the worst, to go from the most "civilized" of the Wildlings to the most evil. Other than Ygritte, was there a single Wildling who was even close to what they were in the novels?

Sorry! :lol: It's very good, isn't it. Thank heaven for Jamie.

http://briannaefraser.tumblr.com/post/96259863728

The show came out just at the right time, to offset the disappointment of Game of Thrones. Season 2 likely starts about the same time as season 6, too. It was interesting to watch them side by side, the the romance and sexuality, the fight scenes, the magic, even the costumes. One captured the spirit of the books, one didn't. And they use the book lines all the time. Some of the scenes are straight out of the books, but the ones that aren't are just as good, they felt like the book story. I didn't mind the changes at all, I liked them. This is what I wanted from this adaptation, and it was certainly possible.

OMG, that guy is so... he's so sexually powerful that I can't look at him without smiling like an idiot.

About Outlander, it's not just Jamie who's handsome. I mean, how gorgeous is Caitriona Balfe?
Can't wait for it to start again.

And regarding GoT, I was yet again thinking about the northern lords. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the casting call I've seen, it seems we're getting a Karstark and an Umber.

Karstark will be the leader of Northern uprising to Boltons. Called it first!

I mean. They are same in the books right? Their point is to betray something.

OMG Sigorn, son of the Magnar of Thenns... Remember how in the books, the Thenns were unlike any of the other free folk; they had laws and a lord and WEREN'T MAMA- AND PAPA-EATING CANNIBALS. 

Of all the characters they've butchered in the show, the Thenns are among the worst, to go from the most "civilized" of the Wildlings to the most evil. Other than Ygritte, was there a single Wildling who was even close to what they were in the novels?

I hated that change so much. I mourned Sigorn and Alys on the spot. They always have to overdo it, don't they. Their motto: over the top to be underwhelming.

I absolutely loathed what they did with the Thenns. And no, I think Ygritte was the only one to escape the butchery relatively unscathed.

Erm... Revenge for Rickard Karstark's death? I mean, Robb's been dead for a long time, but they can turn against the Boltons anyways because REVENGE.

I hated that change so much. I mourned Sigorn and Alys on the spot. They always have to overdo it, don't they. Their motto: over the top to be underwhelming.

As an added bonus, their version gave us Olly.  :tantrum:

That's it, @Le Cygne's post at the top. The last two in the casting call must be Umber and Karstark, respectively.

And I'm not so sure about Karstark betraying the Boltons. The casting call paints him as a 'bad guy'. For him to be a bad guy and betray the Boltons... Well, only if they're going to go full love on the Boltons, and I don't see even these showrunners doing that.

I absolutely loathed what they did with the Thenns. And no, I think Ygritte was the only one to escape the butchery relatively unscathed.

Tormund was criminally underused. There wasn't even a single dick joke! Come on, they should love dick jokes! Tormund's dialogue in the books was always my favourite part of the wildlings, especially when we see him being more human (with him mourning his children... I guess this makes Karsi take on a bit of Tormund's role?)

Instead, we had Tormund violently beat a guy to death because he made a gay joke with him and Jon. Which I really don't think is how he would react, but oh well.

Actually, Ygritte was one of the most butchered as well. They completely dismissed her kindness and vulnerability and turned her into a bitter women who seemed to be bitter because... she lost JonSnow's dick. They cannot make strong vulnerable women: feelings are for losers.

He's like a puppy. A puppy that looks at you in a way in which it's not inappropriate to have sex with.

Perfect description! :lol:

Actually, Ygritte was one of the most butchered as well. They completely dismissed her kindness and vulnerability and turned her into a bitter women who seemed to be bitter because... she lost JonSnow's dick. They cannot make strong vulnerable women: feelings are for losers.

They made her a woman scorned. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Is there a sexist cliche they missed, I don't think so.

Tormund was criminally underused. There wasn't even a single dick joke! Come on, they should love dick jokes! Tormund's dialogue in the books was always my favourite part of the wildlings, especially when we see him being more human (with him mourning his children... I guess this makes Karsi take on a bit of Tormund's role?)
Instead, we had Tormund violently beat a guy to death because he made a gay joke with him and Jon. Which I really don't think is how he would react, but oh well.

Tormund and Jon's interactions in Dance are among my faves in *all* the novels. And I don't like show Tormund at all. The actor is great, but for me he's completely wrong for the part. Book Tormund boasts a lot, but he's not some bloodthirsty douche. He's a man who, despite all the boasting, has a lot of common sense, and who has seen a lot. I would have loved to see Brian Blessed as Tormund, but alas...

Regarding Tromund mourning his children, well... He doesn't have a womb, how can he do that?

Oh, I know. Her death scene? In fact, pretty much all her scenes after Jon escapes. And yet, with all that, to me she's still the least butchered among the Free folk.

Well, according to Alex Graves, Tormund was in love with Ygritte. 

Sigh. This just makes my blood pressure go up.

Tormund too? Because Orell was, so... Maybe Mance was too. That's why he chose to die, so he could join her.

Archived