Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

Respectful sex doesn't always have to be between loving couples, it can happen to consenting adults who don't love each other but do respect each other.  Where has that happened in GOT? 

It's become a show of boob, rape and whores, and that's sex without respect, love, communication and intimacy.  It's just boobies and rapings and it's it's, well, a fucking bore and an insult to the story, the audience and storytelling itself.

Also there was this nice subtext in the books, when Gendry would describe Robert, this was someone he didn't want to be like. It's characterization, and it's also putting the viewer in on the story, with dramatic irony. It's done all the time on other shows.

Jon has a similar subtext with Ned.  He loves Ned as a father and especially after he gets together with Ygritte, he tries to understand how Ned could of broke his vows and fathered a bastard.

Respectful sex doesn't always have to be between loving couples, it can happen to consenting adults who don't love each other but do respect each other. Where has that happened in GOT?

It's become a show of boob, rape and whores, and that's sex without respect, love, communication and intimacy. It's just boobies and rapings and it's it's, well, a fucking bore and an insult to the story, the audience and storytelling itself.

Agreed.

Also when has anyone had a wank? Sansa and Brienne are older on the show, how about a Sandy and Jaime wank? They think full frontal prostitutes is edgy, but it's not. It's just boring. And that's not all there is to sexuality, manipulation and assault. There's actual desire, and just plain old wanting a man. Which they both did in the books.

Respectful sex doesn't always have to be between loving couples, it can happen to consenting adults who don't love each other but do respect each other.  Where has that happened in GOT

It's become a show of boob, rape and whores, and that's sex without respect, love, communication and intimacy.  It's just boobies and rapings and it's it's, well, a fucking bore and an insult to the story, the audience and storytelling itself.

Dany & Daario

Rob & Talisa

Sam & Gilly

Loras & Renly

Jon & Yritte

Tyrion & Shae

Jon has a similar subtext with Ned.  He loves Ned as a father and especially after he gets together with Ygritte, he tries to understand how Ned could of broke his vows and fathered a bastard.

That's true! They don't do reflection very well, not really at all. It's not hard to show, either, with close ups. The actors are good, they know how to do this sort of thing. Look at the Tarth Gaze, for example, how much he's conveying with just a look, and the right prompt. I'll just leave this here, because you can never gaze at the Tarth Gaze too much:

http://brienneoftarth.tumblr.com/post/119119269163/tarth-ser-jaime-the-sapphire-isle

Why? 

Because this is the rant and rave thread. Discussion is fine but everyone in this thread is looking at the show from the perspective that it's bad. Your defences of the show may be valid or not but they aren't wanted here. Make a thread about your points. 

Because this is NOT a debate thread. If you want to discuss the depiction of sex n GoT, start a thread to do so.

Quoting Ran:

The topic of the thread is discussing things you disliked about the episode. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if he normal rules of the forum do not apply. Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand -- this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked.

That's true! They don't do reflection very well, not really at all. It's not hard to show, either, with close ups. The actors are good, they know how to do this sort of thing. Look at the Tarth Gaze, for example, how much he's conveying with just a look, and the right prompt. I'll just leave this here, because you can never gaze at the Tarth Gaze too much:

http://brienneoftarth.tumblr.com/post/119119269163/tarth-ser-jaime-the-sapphire-isle

Oh boy... I almost wish you hadn't linked it. It makes me think of all the wondrous possibilities for Jaime's arc that won't ever be fulfilled. :crying:

Agreed.

Also when has anyone had a wank? Sansa and Brienne are older on the show, how about a Sandy and Jaime wank? They think full frontal prostitutes is edgy, but it's not. It's just boring. And that's not all there is to sexuality, manipulation and assault. There's actual desire, and just plain old wanting a man. Which they both did in the books.

The book also has many variations on sexuality.  Robert is a promiscuous libertine, Ned the stoic family man who grew to deeply love his wife of the arranged marriage who had that deep love returned.  Jon and Sam the shy virgins who had to work through their shame and guilt after their first sex encounters.  Loras and Renly, who, although they loved each other, accepted that Renly would need to marry a woman if he was to be a King.   Stannis has a low sex drive and Tyrion is always looking for love in all the wrong places.  And there are many others as well.

GRRM's variations and the feelings depicted that go with each adds alot of depth to the story.  This is what's missing in GOT.  

Oh boy... I almost wish you hadn't linked it. It makes me think of all the wondrous possibilities for Jaime's arc that won't ever be fulfilled. :crying:

Let's see, he's thinking, what the hell am I doing here. I should be with the wench. Only I can't call her a wench because readers might like that. So I should be with Brienne. But they are making me act like I've lost my mind (and my balls). What can I do? But steal a moment to be Jaime again, and remember Brienne. Her eyes were as blue as the waters of Tarth. I wonder what became of her. I wish I had gone with her...

So I guess this is not permitted then.

ok

Fine, I'll bite.

Loras and Renly wasn't a sex scene, Rob and Talisa was included for no better reason than to make her getting stabbed in the belly more horrible, and Sam and Gilly's sex scene was prefixed by her near sexual assault. So your examples are down to three. Three consensual moments across five seasons in a show dedicated to depicting sex at every conceivable opportunity. You see why this is still a problem? 

Fine, I'll bite.

Loras and Renly wasn't a sex scene, Rob and Talisa was included for no better reason than to make her getting stabbed in the belly more horrible, and Sam and Gilly's sex scene was prefixed by her near sexual assault. So your examples are down to three. Three consensual moments across five seasons in a show dedicated to depicting sex at every conceivable opportunity. You see why this is still a problem? 

Tyrion and Shae was a business transaction.  

Gwendoline Christie does some damn fine face work in this scene because she's got almost no dialog.

Sorry, KbF, I don't mean to salt your wounds here!  

LOLOLOL  This is beautiful, and also, scarily reminds me of all my bathing and showering issues with the cast STILL stuck on my right hand.  

~Does the Jaime Goldenhand Wave to everyone, Hi~ 

Archived