Something That's Always Kind Of Bugged Me

Blazfemur

The one-eyed cat of king's landing. A guard said, "He's the true king of this castle," which raises all sorts of suspicions. The one eyed aspect immediately places one's beliefs at Bloodraven, and yet, there's a magical barrier surrounding his cave, a magical ice wall in the way, and thousands of leagues between them.

Casting Bloodraven aside (for just a moment, and i dont think he was ever the 'true king,' by title), who ELSE could that King be? Were there any recent slain king's capable of warging that ruled king's landing?

Well if my theory bears out (see Did Rhaenys skinchange her cat?) then it's really the True Queen of the Castle. The cat's male, the skinchanger doesn't have to be.

The one eye does seem to indicate Bloodraven, but then again we have One Eye the wolf that Varamyr wargs that doesn't have anything to do with Bloodraven that I can see.

As posters chimed in on the Rhaenys thread, I became more convinced of the theory, but would still be interested in hearing about other candidates.

Well if my theory bears out (see Did Rhaenys skinchange her cat?) then it's really the True Queen of the Castle. The cat's male, the skinchanger doesn't have to be.

The one eye does seem to indicate Bloodraven, but then again we have One Eye the wolf that Varamyr wargs that doesn't have anything to do with Bloodraven that I can see.

As posters chimed in on the Rhaenys thread, I became more convinced of the theory, but would still be interested in hearing about other candidates.

certainly. in fact, it'd be interesting if we got an epilogue on whats going on, through the eyes of the cat.

certainly not a dream of spring though, that seat is reserved for the ghost of high heart.

What was Rhaenys' bloodline, all Targ? or was there First Men blood in her immediate ancestry?

certainly. in fact, it'd be interesting if we got an epilogue on whats going on, through the eyes of the cat.

certainly not a dream of spring though, that seat is reserved for the ghost of high heart.

What was Rhaenys' bloodline, all Targ? or was there First Men blood in her immediate ancestry?

We'll get confirmation (if at all) through Arya.  She'll skinchange into the cat and feel Rhaenys' presence.

Yes, Rhaenys has First Men Blood.

Maekar I married Dyanna Dayne (First Men)

their son Aegon V married Betha Blackwood (First Men)

their son Jaehaerys married his full sister Shaera

their son Aerys married his full sister Rhaella

their son Rhaegar married Elia Martell

Rhaenys is their daughter, and Balerion was her kitten

with first men ancestry, it certainly doesnt put her out of the question then. she would seem to be the front runner.

i still cant get "true king" out of my head, implying male. then again, that cat is male.

We'll get confirmation (if at all) through Arya.  She'll skinchange into the cat and feel Rhaenys' presence.

Yes, Rhaenys has First Men Blood.

Maekar I married Dyanna Dayne (First Men)

their son Aegon V married Betha Blackwood (First Men)

their son Jaehaerys married his full sister Shaera

their son Aerys married his full sister Rhaella

their son Rhaegar married Elia Martell

Rhaenys is their daughter, and Balerion was her kitten

Good work.  Sadly we know very little of the Martell's family tree. We don't even know the name of Doran's mom.

I vote for aerys...he was the true king, had claws, was skittish, was scabbed up and had a disheveled appearance, liked busting on tywin, was paranoid about usurpers (like those kittens), and was generally batshit. Of course more than one person could skinchange the tom cat but I really think aerys is the original...some of his paranoia and general craziness could be from also being a skin changer

I vote for aerys...he was the true king, had claws, was skittish, was scabbed up and had a disheveled appearance, liked busting on tywin, was paranoid about usurpers (like those kittens), and was generally batshit. Of course more than one person could skinchange the tom cat but I really think aerys is the original...some of his paranoia and general craziness could be from also being a skin changer

Please explain that statement.  There is nothing in the text that indicates that skinchangers are paranoid or crazy.  

Aerys may well have been nuts in part because people actually were plotting against him.

The cat was one-eared, not not-eyed:

"One by one Arya had chased them down and snatched them up and brought them proudly to Syrio Forel . . . all but this one, this one-eared black devil of a tomcat. “That’s the real king of this castle right there,” one of the gold cloaks had told her. “Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen’s father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin’s fingers. Robert laughed so hard he like to burst. You stay away from that one, child.”

There was, however, one one-eyed boar, also called a bastard and a devil. My guess is they are both warged by Bloodraven (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/134109-who-did-really-kill-bob/).

The one-eyed cat of king's landing. A guard said, "He's the true king of this castle," which raises all sorts of suspicions.

Call me crazy, but I think it is just a remark about the generally self-centered and egotistical nature of cats, as well as the fact that the cat goes wherever he wishes, unhindered by anybody something only a king is able to do usually (and there might even be areas the cat can reach a king might not).

Once again no reason to bring BR or long dead Targs into it.

The Red Keep was full of cats: lazy old cats dozing in the sun, cold-eyed mousers twitching their tails, quick little kittens with claws like needles, ladies' cats all combed and trusting, ragged shadows prowling the midden heaps. One by one Arya had chased them down and snatched them up and brought them proudly to Syrio Forel … all but this one, this one-eared black devil of a tomcat. "That's the real king of this castle right there," one of the gold cloaks had told her. "Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen's father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin's fingers. Robert laughed so hard he like to burst. You stay away from that one, child."

As the last strains of "The Dornishman's Wife" faded, the bald earless man glanced up from his map and scowled ferociously at Rattleshirt and Ygritte, with Jon between them. "What's this?" he said. "A crow?"

"The black bastard what gutted Orell," said Rattleshirt, "and a bloody warg as well."

"Good." She had never cared if she was pretty, even when she was stupid Arya Stark. Only her father had ever called her that. Him, and Jon Snow, sometimes. Her mother used to say she could be pretty if she would just wash and brush her hair and take more care with her dress, the way her sister did. To her sister and sister's friends and all the rest, she had just been Arya Horseface. But they were all dead now, even Arya, everyone but her half-brother, Jon. Some nights she heard talk of him, in the taverns and brothels of the Ragman's Harbor. The Black Bastard of the Wall, one man had called him. Even Jon would never know Blind Beth, I bet. That made her sad.

"Har!" Tormund laughed. That had not changed either; he still laughed easily and often. "Wise words. I'd not want you crows to peck me to death." He slapped Jon's back. "When all my folk are safe behind your Wall, we'll share a bit o' meat and mead. Till then …" The wildling pulled off the band from his left arm and tossed it at Jon, then did the same with its twin upon his right. "Your first payment. Had those from my father and him from his. Now they're yours, you thieving black bastard."

"You are a black-hearted bastard, Lord Crow."

It was not that hard.

The Red Keep was full of cats: lazy old cats dozing in the sun, cold-eyed mousers twitching their tails, quick little kittens with claws like needles, ladies' cats all combed and trusting, ragged shadows prowling the midden heaps. One by one Arya had chased them down and snatched them up and brought them proudly to Syrio Forel … all but this one, this one-eared black devil of a tomcat. "That's the real king of this castle right there," one of the gold cloaks had told her. "Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen's father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin's fingers. Robert laughed so hard he like to burst. You stay away from that one, child."

As the last strains of "The Dornishman's Wife" faded, the bald earless man glanced up from his map and scowled ferociously at Rattleshirt and Ygritte, with Jon between them. "What's this?" he said. "A crow?"

"The black bastard what gutted Orell," said Rattleshirt, "and a bloody warg as well."

"Good." She had never cared if she was pretty, even when she was stupid Arya Stark. Only her father had ever called her that. Him, and Jon Snow, sometimes. Her mother used to say she could be pretty if she would just wash and brush her hair and take more care with her dress, the way her sister did. To her sister and sister's friends and all the rest, she had just been Arya Horseface. But they were all dead now, even Arya, everyone but her half-brother, Jon. Some nights she heard talk of him, in the taverns and brothels of the Ragman's Harbor. The Black Bastard of the Wall, one man had called him. Even Jon would never know Blind Beth, I bet. That made her sad.

"Har!" Tormund laughed. That had not changed either; he still laughed easily and often. "Wise words. I'd not want you crows to peck me to death." He slapped Jon's back. "When all my folk are safe behind your Wall, we'll share a bit o' meat and mead. Till then …" The wildling pulled off the band from his left arm and tossed it at Jon, then did the same with its twin upon his right. "Your first payment. Had those from my father and him from his. Now they're yours, you thieving black bastard."

"You are a black-hearted bastard, Lord Crow."

It was not that hard.

1)Bastard" is a common word for foul-mouthed people to say.

2) Calling someone black was also a common way in the Middle Ages to describe a crook/shady person.

3)Besides, the cat is black. What is he supposed to say instead "the really really dark brown bastard"?

Are we also speculating each time a person, animal or object is called a "bitch" it is Shae in disguise?

Yep, because "bastard" is such an uncommon word for foul-mouthed people to say calling someone black was also a common way in the Middle Ages to describe a crook/shady person. Besides, the cat is black. What is he supposed to say instead "the really really dark brown bastard"?

Are we also speculating each time a person, animal or object is called a "bitch" it is Shae in disguise?

You don't know the first thing about foreshadowing.

Archived