Who knows of Jons parentage?

Rickyhunt

House Martell knows nothing about Jon.
That is why Arthur Dayne had to be killed in TOJ. 

Ok fair point. I guess it was just a vague hope not based on evidence, (I'm a big fan of Doran Martell and kind of hoped he would know something, but I knew he probably didn't. Thanks for confirming.

Howland Reed certainly, Wylla most likely, any servant who was at the ToJ (and lent by the Daynes), greenseers including BR. If Ashare's alive she'd know too, but I think she's dead. Benjen is a slight maybe. On the one hand I think Ned would not even tell Benjen. On the other hand, he tries to dissuade Jon from committing to the NW at his young age. One possible explanation for it may be that he'd consider unfair to take on a boy for the Watch who doesn't know about his true parentage, and King's blood. 

Varys might figure it out if he were to ponder on Ned, lying and confessing to treason in order to protest his daughters. LF is smart, but he doesn't really understand Ned and Ned's concept of "honor", because his own mind works so differently.

However, Littlefinger and Varys --especially Varys --may only be one or two clues away from figuring it out.  If Bran hasn't had a vision of it yet, I expect he will soon.  

Why do you think that Varys is close to figuring it out? I don't think he ever thought of Jon except for when he made the offer to Ned.

Why do you think that Varys is close to figuring it out? I don't think he ever thought of Jon except for when he made the offer to Ned.

I agree in that I don't think Varys has ever considered Jon to be Rhaegar's son.  Perhaps it would be more accurate of me to say that Varys --based on his knowledge of/spying on Aerys, Rhaegar, and the Kingsguard --could figure Rhaegar and Lyanna had a child if he had one or two more clues.  That last clue might be something like finding out the Kingsguard knew Aerys and Aegon were dead but still stayed at the tower of joy instead of going to Viserys on Dragonstone.  Though I think if you figure out  Rhaegar and Lyanna had a child, you could probably connect the dots to Jon, especially if you realized the child was still alive.  Ultimately, I think what prevents characters like Varys, Littlefinger, the Lannisters, and Robert from figuring out R + L = J isn't because there is a lack of hints, clues, or information for them to follow.  I think they never fit the pieces together because of their mistaken perception of Ned.  They don't think Ned would lie or betray Robert, so when Ned says Jon is his bastard son, they don't doubt it.      

I assume Benjen figured it out.  No one was closer to Ned and Lyanna.  Benjen knew that Lyanna was infatuated with Rhaegar (Lyanna dumping her wine on Benjen when he laughed at her for crying at Rhaegar's song).  He also knew that Ned may have been the most honourable man in Westeros and him having a bastard child with some random woman after saying his marriage vows was essentially impossible.  I don't know if Ned and Benjen ever discussed it, but I would find it unlikely that he couldn't figure it out on his own.

Howland obviously. I think Wylla was also at the tower of joy so she must also know about R+L=J.

I subscribe to the Ashara=Jyana theory so she probably knows about it too.

Benjen might also know. It's possible that he assisted Lyanna in running away with Rhaegar, and because his family ended up dying, he joined the Night's Watch out of guilt. Otherwise, Benjen should have waited a few years to make sure that Ned had heirs to take his place, instead of immediately joining the Night's Watch.

Bloodraven sees everything so he knows. And now Bran probably knows as well.

Archived