Lyme Disease is not a river in Egypt

Yagathai

So...i just got diagnosed with Lyme.

Awesome.

Is there any way to tell how far it's advanced? Did you feel symptoms coming on and that's why you were tested?

This is directed to Yags too.

Forgive the personal questions. This isn't just idle curiosity.

I knew I had been bitten and when, I had the classic circular spreading rash, and I had flulike symptoms.  I've seen this before in other people, including a very severe case in another person that was bitten in the same woodlands where I was when I got bitten, and since she nearly died I wasn't taking any chances.

It's too early for the blood tests to be conclusive (six weeks minimum), but according to my doctor diagnostic guidelines don't require a positive blood test in the presence of a known bite, rash and symptoms. He said it's almost certainly Lyme, especially if symptoms don't clear up on their own inside of a couple of days. It's a week later and they haven't -- they have gotten worse, including joint pain. I can't walk very easily right now, and sitting is fairly unpleasant too.

I knew I had been bitten and when, I had the classic circular spreading rash, and I had flulike symptoms.  I've seen this before in other people, including a very severe case in another person that was bitten in the same woodlands where I was when I got bitten, and since she nearly died I wasn't taking any chances.

It's too early for the blood tests to be conclusive (six weeks minimum), but according to my doctor diagnostic guidelines don't require a positive blood test in the presence of a known bite, rash and symptoms. He said it's almost certainly Lyme, especially if symptoms don't clear up on their own inside of a couple of days. It's a week later and they haven't -- they have gotten worse, including joint pain. I can't walk very easily right now, and sitting is fairly unpleasant too.

Sounds like it was discovered fairly quickly. That's great. The sooner it's discovered, the less of an impact it has on your life.

Get healthy soon!

(This goes for Relic too!)

I still need more tests, all we know so far is that i have a large amount of the antibodies for Lyme in my blood. I don't have acute symptoms, such as fever or rash, but i have these a bunch of other symptoms ive been experiencing for a few months now that led me to get tested for Lyme in the first place.

Hope you feel better soon Yags.  

In people it can sometimes be difficult to diagnose lyme.  People can get sick before their body has enough time to produce antibodies for the test to be positive.  Lyme moves slower in dogs, so we don't have this problem. 

In people you do not send off serologies if they present with the typical erythema migrans rash and live in or have recently traveled to an endemic area. They might have fever, malaise, fatigue, etc. but if they start showing manifestations of disseminated disease serology will be positive. 

In people you do not send off serologies if they present with the typical erythema migrans rash and live in or have recently traveled to an endemic area. They might have fever, malaise, fatigue, etc. but if they start showing manifestations of disseminated disease serology will be positive. 

It's interesting that no domesticated animal gets erythema migrans from lyme infection.  I think it's probably a combination of different skin anatomy and that most other mammal species are more host adapted to infection than people.  Erythema migrans is actually a nice advantage, since that is an easy diagnosis.

In animal models of infection the lyme bacteria often suppress the humoral immune response.  You follow them out, over time, and the serologic response decreases, even in the face of increasing bacterial numbers.  Most of the animal models are relatively short lived, which makes me wonder what would happen if the diagnosis was delayed 5-10 years.  

I've had West Nile Virus before and from what I understand, some of the symptoms are similar to Lyme.  It might be something to have checked out if you've had fever and lots of aches without having been bitten by ticks.  There are significantly increased cases of WVN in Atlanta right now, FYI.  

Archived