What would your reaction be if stannis was alive next season?

Stag_legion

I dont like how they have dealt with Stannis story in the show  , especially since they will be using elements from  Battle of the ice in season 6 for their poster boy.

His death scene shows room open for doubt about his death ,  "gratuitous" excuse doesn't hold water in the show.

They have left door open to potentialy use him as twist or shock maybe with similar thing like Aegon II and Rhaenyras death.

If Stannis came back though, what could he actually achieve? Its hard to see there being anywhere for that plot to go. 

I think it will be the same in the books, he will fizzle out and not achieve the things he wanted to. 

I agree with mostly everything you said now and before, except I don't think his TV arc was tied up 'nicely'. Severely rushed would be my way to describe it. But yes, tied up.

And I agree with the poster who said Mance's glamour fake out was more interesting than Brienne's coincidences.

What puzzles me is how can you even like the books if you don't like (a big part of) GRRM's writing style and editing skills? I like the story mostly because of its timing, the way it's setup and written.

Off topic , but for example, Dan Brown's books have a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter. For some that might be annoying, but others enjoy it for exactly what it is, a formula that happens to induce some kind of anticipatory rush.

I'll be happy, fist pump and shout Yeah ! I know it is just wishful thinking but I was hoping that he is still alive and nobody has seen him on sets because he has only one or two scenes and will be injured / bedridden for most of the season till the other parts of the story catch up to the battle of ice.

All this is assuming that he plays a further part in the books and does not die in the battle of ice. No point keeping him alive to send him with Brienne to last hearth to fetch Rickon and hope for a good road movie. The way they tried with Jamie - Bronn this time and have already lined up Jorah - Daario next season.

I agree with mostly everything you said now and before, except I don't think his TV arc was tied up 'nicely'. Severely rushed would be my way to describe it. But yes, tied up.

And I agree with the poster who said Mance's glamour fake out was more interesting than Brienne's coincidences.

What puzzles me is how can you even like the books if you don't like (a big part of) GRRM's writing style and editing skills? I like the story mostly because of its timing, the way it's setup and written.

Off topic , but for example, Dan Brown's books have a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter. For some that might be annoying, but others enjoy it for exactly what it is, a formula that happens to induce some kind of anticipatory rush.

Definitely it was rushed, can't dispute that.. it was all backloaded so a lot happened in a very short space of time, making it seem extreme and over the top. A better pacing and build up would have helped it a lot, like much of the show actually. 

I like most of the books, I like the world he's built and much of his writing style, I'm a huge fan of the first 3 books, which had me on the edge of my seat (I got sunburnt reading ASOS as I got too engrossed), but that only makes it all the more annoying when there are so many frustrating elements in the later books. Mance's glamour is one, another in a long list of fake outs GRRM pulls on us during the story, possibly to make up for the lack of interesting storytelling. Then what he turns Mance into is doubly annoying. But anyway I digress.

Definitely it was rushed, can't dispute that.. it was all backloaded so a lot happened in a very short space of time, making it seem extreme and over the top. A better pacing and build up would have helped it a lot, like much of the show actually. 

I like most of the books, I like the world he's built and much of his writing style, I'm a huge fan of the first 3 books, which had me on the edge of my seat (I got sunburnt reading ASOS as I got too engrossed), but that only makes it all the more annoying when there are so many frustrating elements in the later books. Mance's glamour is one, another in a long list of fake outs GRRM pulls on us during the story, possibly to make up for the lack of interesting storytelling. Then what he turns Mance into is doubly annoying. But anyway I digress.

Put like that, I totally understand. I got a bit confused too, when reading ADWD. Though I suspected that after the solid setup of the first three books there would come a part of the story that would stall a bit in comparison.

This is now the same reason I'm afraid the TV show's progression is going to influence GRRM's writing. Not the story itself, but the pacing, and not necessarily for the better. The trick is now, after such an elaborate stretch out in the middle, to condense but not to rush towards the conclusion.

It's good if he eases down on the gardening a bit, but garden he must, to keep things consistent.

ETA: apologies for going off topic!

I'd be pretty disappointed if he was alive, but I don't see any evidence of it. 

Basically. 

Stannis being alive would undermine not only him as a character, but Brienne too.  If, after all this time talking about how she was going to kill him for Renly, she let him go it would totally undermine her. 

Wouldn't affect me much. I never felt strongly about the character, good or bad. The fact that he killed his daughter was the only thing that really hit me, and made me hate him. However, he has lost everything, his troops, his daughter, his wife, his mistress, his power, his home. He is basically a destroyed man, and therefore any hate I could feel for his character has subsided. I am back to the "meh" phase.

If he were to return next season, I don't believe he'd return to do anything bad. He'd probably willingly die to help someone else or to make something right.Something like sending Dragon glass to the Wall, or arming the people with Dragon glass, or saving someone, I dunno.

AFAIK, there is no rumor of Stephen Dillane presence on the set. So I suppose Stannis is really dead. However, I was not convinced of this in the show, without bodily evidence (and because he is not in the books). I feel Stannis story with Melisande, R'hllor and the true Azor Ahai reborn is unfinished. I would like to see Melisandre answering to him for her errors.

Stannis maybe a former "would be king", now without an army. It does not mean there is nothing interesting to do with that. In GRRM story, some characters have suffered a lot, have been broken, but are later returning to business, in a different role.

AFAIK, there is no rumor of Stephen Dillane presence on the set. So I suppose Stannis is really dead. However, I was not convinced of this in the show, without bodily evidence (and because he is not in the books). I feel Stannis story with Melisande, R'hllor and the true Azor Ahai reborn is unfinished. I would like to see Melisandre answering to him for her errors.

Stannis maybe a former "would be king", now without an army. It does not mean there is nothing interesting to do with that. In GRRM story, some characters have suffered a lot, have been broken, but are later returning to business, in a different role.

The problem is, he was never AA, he was never going to be the guy to sort out Westeros and beat the WW, despite some fanboys wishing that was the case. 

Hes also been broken and lost everything twice already.. to come back once was a good story.. to do it again.. just gets a bit silly. 

Stannis is clearly dead. I love the man, but the idea of him surviving is just silly and would make little sense if he did. The only "proof" we have that him survived is that his death happened off-screen, that's it. The context made it clear that he really died. Plus, he is not the only character people make theories that they aren't actually dead. In fact, some of the most nonsensical theories come from this, actually. Like Syrio Forel is alive and the Benjen thing.

The problem is, he was never AA, he was never going to be the guy to sort out Westeros and beat the WW, despite some fanboys wishing that was the case. 
Hes also been broken and lost everything twice already.. to come back once was a good story.. to do it again.. just gets a bit silly. 

Well there also is the possibility that there is no AAR at all. But aside from that westeros won't be sorted out by a single man, Lots of characters will play their part and stannis can or could have been one. I m pretty sure GRRM won't make Jon Snow the guy who solves everything, even if he does play a very important part in the story.

In the books stannis definitely seemed on the right track to put things back together with the help of the coalition he was building. He took the unprecedented step of allowing the freefolk to join the realm, while still keeping them in check to not anger the northern houses. If had/does succeed in taking out the Boltons then indeed you could say he was sorting shit out, of course he does with the help of other people, Jon Snow being one of them.

Personally I do think stannis winning the throne with the help of other important characters would be a better and more authentic story than Jon snow winning the throne. The second scenario requires a lot of hand waving and plot favoritism. While stannis winning the throne seems in tune with what has happened thus far and plays most similar to historical events.

How many times in history has an unknown bastard gained the throne vs a previous king's brother? especially a bastard who doesn't want to be king and is legally barred from being king.

Evidently he was never AAR. Possibly, AAR and TPTWP are not really the same. Possibly, AAR is not the prophesied savior, but a puppet in the hands of the Red Priests. The priests being the real magic and maneuvering for their own advantage.

Well there also is the possibility that there is no AAR at all. But aside from that westeros won't be sorted out by a single man, Lots of characters will play their part and stannis can or could have been one. I m pretty sure GRRM won't make Jon Snow the guy who solves everything, even if he does play a very important part in the story.

In the books stannis definitely seemed on the right track to put things back together with the help of the coalition he was building. He took the unprecedented step of allowing the freefolk to join the realm, while still keeping them in check to not anger the northern houses. If had/does succeed in taking out the Boltons then indeed you could say he was sorting shit out, of course he does with the help of other people, Jon Snow being one of them.

Personally I do think stannis winning the throne with the help of other important characters would be a better and more authentic story than Jon snow winning the throne. The second scenario requires a lot of hand waving and plot favoritism. While stannis winning the throne seems in tune with what has happened thus far and plays most similar to historical events.

How many times in history has an unknown bastard gained the throne vs a previous king's brother? especially a bastard who doesn't want to be king and is legally barred from being king.

Since Stannis is dead in the show...it's a good chance he will die in the Winds of Winter like Shireen, Barry or Mance. D&D talked to GRRM recently and he told them some other things that he plans. When everybody was oputraged how they kill Shireen. IT turns out she willdie and probably in very similair fashion, but of course not at the command of Stannis. It's that they speed up things on the show and leave out the most important characters in the endgame. If necesarry merging remaining arcs of the dead characters and to fit them to current that can do it. Some might speculate that he already died ,but his death will be in my mind different.

Since they're introducing term The One That Was Promised for Dany and calling her already that she was reborn from fire to remake the world. Basically AAR. I would concentrate more on her, because as things stands right now she is much more realistic choice, but I would be surprised if she really wins the iron throne. Dany if she wins it could legeitmize him if the R+L=J is true, but I would call it unlikely.

Nobody here is saying that Jon will be in the throne or will win it. In fact he is the last person to want this out of the main or should I call them obvious contenders. Jon is probably going to sacrifice himself, because that's what he does. I would like to see as someone calls it doomed hero. Basically due to resurrection being changed...grey sort of a character.

Archived