You are a King/Queen of a Westerosi Kingdom in 3 BC Avoid Targaryen Colonization

Cayrouse

There's an easy answer here, and that would be Dorne. They successfully resisted the Targs.

Dorne is a special case. The region is walled up behind mountains, the land is dry and death to any army that tries to cross it, there are no large population centres to destroy, and the people took very easily to guerilla warfare. That's in addition to any concerns the Targaryens may have had about a super anti-dragon weapon in the Martell's possession.

Returning after a bit, I have some other thoughts that I think belong in their own post.

If I as a King/Prince/Queen/Princess understand exactly what Aegon's core vision is - a united Westeros without meaningful borders - one approach could be to make him a counteroffer that would appeal to him equally or more, while still letting me keep what I want.

If I want to keep my crown, I might offer (not when he shows up, but the minute he shows his hand) a mutual defense pact coupled with a tariff agreement, a commitment to regular tribute (basically the same tax deal I'd have to make anyways), and some acknowledgement of the Iron Throne as overlord or supreme king. I do this voluntarily, while keeping my royal style, and at the same time I fortify my kingdom for an ugly campaign. I try and put agents in his councils and courts if possible, and perhaps see if one of his sisters seems concerned about which of their lines shall continue the dynasty. At this point, when he makes his move, he's already got a standing offer from me - I might even help him establish himself early on - and at the same time, I have a degree of independence from the Iron Throne. I'm still a monarch, can legitimize my bastards to avoid succession problems (or cause them, if I please), can pardon offenses to my own crown (probably want to hand over any international miscreants to Aegon, though), and don't need to even pay lip service to the King's Peace within my own borders (within reason, obviously, the more unstable and violent a conflict gets the more likely it'll have spillover effects that would force the Iron Throne to intervene). The only way I actually see Aegon taking this offer from me is coupled with the obvious threat of stiff and unconventional resistance. Would help to be the monarch of somewhere with natural defenses - the North or Vale spring to mind - and sufficient military power to put a dent in Aegon's aura of invincibility. Coupled with a few intrigues, I might be able to persuade him it's not worth the effort just for a title when he'll have everything he wants anyways.

I put my odds pretty low, though. Aegon was not a guy to take "no" for an answer.

Didn't Dorne and the Vale make offers similar to this early on in the Conquest? I'm pretty sure Aegon/his sisters turned them both down.

Problem is that snowing isn't enough, it has to be cold enough to count as winter as well. I seriously doubt that these summer snows are brought with cold as severe as in a Russian winter. If it were, certainly Robert would have commented on there being so freaking cold, and not just snow, during summer. The North is not Russia, and even so, Russia has been beaten before.

Next issue is that agricultural socities can't really move, you can move soldiers, but the fields, that is the food supplies, are stationary and it takes a lot of effort to create new farmland out of forests, and then that land must still be held until the harvest comes.

Winter may be coming, but with some skill, the Iron Throne will already have concluded its campaign in the North by that time, and brought the Northmen back into the fold.

If Stannis can make living rough in the North, other people from the South can do that as well, especially when they have control over the seas.

Mount Cailing can be taken and has been taken before. The Ironborn took it without issue, and the the Boltons and their Frey allies made it past with fighting strength preserved. The North has never faced a united South and so odds are that they will crumble before the overwhelming resources of the South.

Not moving you armies south and instead waiting for them to come to you should give you enough time to harvest food and plan the guerrilla war. The Targs will struggle to get large amounts of troops North with speed and establishing supply lines difficult as the North is vast and the road to it filled with natural barriers. Could you march an army large enough to spread across and subdue a land so vast? And keep them all well supplied throughout the region? Dragon cant be at more than one place at a time. By the time Aegon hears word of a regiment under attack it would already be lost. United Southern might? Sure a 200k army can slowly leak into the North to get ambushed repetitively and starve becuase of the shear lack of adequate supplies.

The North's farmlands once harvested wouldn't supply the Targs with food for a full year, mean they need strong supply lines. But where will they establish these necessary lines? Through the neck, where it would be constantly under attack from the locals and can fall into enemy hands? Via Sea, where a smart Torrhen has already built a small fast navy to harass and sink supply ships or hired pirates to do so on his behalf? They will go hungry very quickly is my point, and with hunger comes illness. 

Stannis' Southerners turned to cannibalism if I remember it correctly, only the Northerners managed with ease.  You cant take the North without Northern support and the North is fiercely nationalistic. 

Moat Callin was taken from the north not the south and the garrison was constantly under attack and weak from illness. Roose was leading the North when he got past the Moat and even so he did it with trickery. 

Aegon cant control the hill tribes with troops or cover the vast forests of the North. With the Resistance forces of the north fighting in small units he cant hope to shatter a chain of command or deliver a decisive blow short of genocide. He could be there for 50 years and never really establish control over most of the North. Oh, and this will be a very expensive campaign. Is it really worth all the gold and lives lost?  It will be like the Norman conquest of England. Sure you say you king but most of the country disagrees and will only be subdued with a genocide. Good luck. 

The Northmen know the North and have its peoples support. As long as they are willing to resist they cannot be conquered.

This wouldn't work at least not in the way you describe it. First Torrhen had already marched the might of the North down past the Neck. If they had tried anything stupid we would have the Field of Fire: Part II the Burning Rivers.

Granted say the fell back to the Neck and defended it. Dragons can fly over it and ships can bypass it. Also the dragons could set the Moat ablaze and there wouldn't be much of a fight.

The guerilla war you describe would work for a time but it would fail as soon as Winter arose. Winter isn't as big a deal for the Dornish and they could last for long periods away from their castles.  Come winter the Northern's don't have that option. They have to whole up in strongholds like Winterfell, hence the winter city. Once the Northern forces are stuck in their castles the dragons can burn them out one by one. I'm sure the dragons don't like the snow but they can melt it.

Granted launching a invasion of the North in winter would be suicide but sending dragons to burn the strongholds one by one would kill off most of the resistance of the North. Sure some could flee but they wouldn't last long without food and shelter in the harsh Northern winter.

Lastly say the whole North managed to go into hiding in secret places with food for the Winter the dragons would still burn all the castles and when spring would come those castles would be burned and not too useful. Then the combined might of the Targaryens and the other Kingdoms would steamroll the remaining Northerns.

Marching South is stupid, I never advocated doing so. 

They are going to set a swamp on fire? This doesn't seem sensible/ practical  to me, please explain.

Wildlings exist and survive winter in lands worse than the North. And we see in the books that the Northmen in Stannis' army could mange it. Plus attacking in groups smaller than 200men living off the land seems fine, especially with support from farmers willing to supply their patriotic brothers.

Is Aegon really going to Winter in the North with the armies of his vassels? He has 6 Kingdoms to consolidate after all. This will be difficult without reliable land routes (ice bergs in the narrow sea) for supply lines. The swamp folk will continue to harass supply lines. Come winter Torrhen has many places he could hide that Southerners wouldnt know and Northmen wouldn't let them know about. If he burns all the castles/ towns where would he and his army winter?

If Aegon keeps his armies North during winter he can sit there and watch them die or read about it. If he leaves any Northmen in charge while he goes South he will find that they have betrayed him come summer or been assassinated. Sure the North wouldn't "win" without Killing him and/or his dragon but if the have the spirit to resist like Dorne Aegon cant win either. And Aegon cant afford to be part of a stalemate war. 

The only way he was going to conquer the North is to defeat it in a battle like he was about to in the books, or get it to surrender like Torrhen did in the books. An invasion would be disastrous for him. It doesn't matter how many men you bring if you can't feed them reliably and they never engage in a pitched battle. If you ever played CK 2 try seiging pagan lands in winter when you're over you supply limit to simulate the folly in bring the armies of 6 Kingdoms to conquer one.

Not moving you armies south and instead waiting for them to come to you should give you enough time to harvest food and plan the guerrilla war. The Targs will struggle to get large amounts of troops North with speed and establishing supply lines difficult as the North is vast and the road to it filled with natural barriers. Could you march an army large enough to spread across and subdue a land so vast? And keep them all well supplied throughout the region? Dragon cant be at more than one place at a time. By the time Aegon hears word of a regiment under attack it would already be lost. United Southern might? Sure a 200k army can slowly leak into the North to get ambushed repetitively and starve becuase of the shear lack of adequate supplies.

The North's farmlands once harvested wouldn't supply the Targs with food for a full year, mean they need strong supply lines. But where will they establish these necessary lines? Through the neck, where it would be constantly under attack from the locals and can fall into enemy hands? Via Sea, where a smart Torrhen has already built a small fast navy to harass and sink supply ships or hired pirates to do so on his behalf? They will go hungry very quickly is my point, and with hunger comes illness. 

Stannis' Southerners turned to cannibalism if I remember it correctly, only the Northerners managed with ease.  You cant take the North without Northern support and the North is fiercely nationalistic. 

Moat Callin was taken from the north not the south and the garrison was constantly under attack and weak from illness. Roose was leading the North when he got past the Moat and even so he did it with trickery. 

Aegon cant control the hill tribes with troops or cover the vast forests of the North. With the Resistance forces of the north fighting in small units he cant hope to shatter a chain of command or deliver a decisive blow short of genocide. He could be there for 50 years and never really establish control over most of the North. Oh, and this will be a very expensive campaign. Is it really worth all the gold and lives lost?  It will be like the Norman conquest of England. Sure you say you king but most of the country disagrees and will only be subdued with a genocide. Good luck. 

The Northmen know the North and have its peoples support. As long as they are willing to resist they cannot be conquered.

No, no and no.

For the first thing, I agree going south is a bad move for the Starks, but even so I fail to see how it would be a great obsticle to get troops to the North? Either they attack Moat Cailin after the dragons have burned that to crisps or they, with dragon support, sail into a devastated shell of a town, with walls and harbor, previously called White Harbor. Once you got that foothold you can pretty much just use the great southern navy to sail men and supplies into the harbor.

I doubt that 200 000 men are necessary to defeat the Starks, or that even 100 000 is. With dragon support you should beat them with even numbers. Dragons might only be at once place at a time, but the men-at-arms of the South are just as good as the Northmen to absence of dragons does not mean a Northern victory.

The supply issue is a problem but then again, I don't think such overwhelming numbers are needed. Its not like the Northmen can put hundreds of thousands of men in the field. And then again, sooner or later the Northmen must also return to their own fields to get more food.

This "smart" Torrhen don't exists. He's pretty dumb to start with and there's nothing in the books to suggest that he has some vast navy or that it don't operate from the only significent harbor in the North. Also note that the Northmen are both poor and fairly isolantionistic so I doubt they can pay pirates enough to regularly fight actual warships and make it profitable for these pirates.

Now that's rich about a Northern "Resistence"! Aegon can conquer and put his garnisons in the strongholds of the different Houses and use them as strongholds for raids, incursions or just to dominate the surrounding area, like it was done in real life. The war will be long and bloody, no doubt, but the idea that the Northmen are some super heroes who can demolish their own agricultural society and keep fighting without a weakened spirit belongs in the realm of hack fantasy.

Hiring assassins until Aegon and both of his sisters, and his progeny, are dead, leaving the dragons riderless, is all I can think of.

As soon as the Targs take open arms against me, it's done for though, better bend the knee while I still can.

Bend the knee first, get the better treatment, reap the rewards. 

Orys Baratheon is a pretty chill son in law for the Stormlands, Harren the Black would have likely been deposed even without the Targs coming so actually keeping the Riverlands and the Iron Isles together was more than Harren could hope after the colossal waste of Harrenhal. Other regions don't have as many immediate benefits from bowing but lessened taxes or a royal marriage would always be a possibility. 

Why would I resist change? Prior to the Targs, Westeros was a land in constant war with pirates (ie the greyjoys constantly attacking the land). The Targs brought unity, peace and trade. They kept all the kings in their original role limiting themselves in introducing cosmetic changes with minimum impact.

If I was a Westerosi king I would embrace change. I’ll be the first to set sail to dragonstone offering first peace terms as potential partners and if Aegon refuses as preferential subjects with ties attached. Aegon was quite generous with those who quickly bent the knee and would look favourably at a King willing to lend him the army he needs to start his campaign. A Stark may end up getting most of the Riverlands as a sign of gratitude, A Lannister may get most of the Gardener lands and a Gardener may eye lands of former hostile kings from the riverlands, the stormlands or the western lands.

Once the dust settles I would do my outmost to remain friends with the Targs by marrying my children to theirs. In the meantime I would suggest new lands that can be invaded. The Targs glory could go beyond Westeros such as in the land beyond the wall, the summer isles, Lys and Tyrosh. I am sure that the Targs would encourage, assist and compensate a zealous general whose willing to enlarge their empire. Such campaigns would expose my own people to new knowledge and who knows maybe to ways how to control or kill dragons if needs be.  That may be needed if some mad king comes to power

Once the dust settles I would do my outmost to remain friends with the Targs by marrying my children to theirs. In the meantime I would suggest new lands that can be invaded. The Targs glory could go beyond Westeros such as in the land beyond the wall, the summer isles, Lys and Tyrosh. I am sure that the Targs would encourage, assist and compensate a zealous general whose willing to enlarge their empire. Such campaigns would expose my own people to new knowledge and who knows maybe to ways how to control or kill dragons if needs be.  That may be needed if some mad king comes to power

I have given the possibility of dragonlords attacking the Summer Isles some thought in the past, and I came to the conclusion that it would be a tall order even for the Valyrian Freehold at its height, not to mention one surviving (minor) family of dragonlords.

I very much doubt that any but the strongest dragons could fly all the way across the seas to the Summer Isles, meaning that they must be brought in by ship, which limits the size of the dragons that you can bring. Once landed the dragons would be under constant threat from archers' attacks with their famed goldenheart bows, and armies would be at the mercy of guerilla warfare from the jungle. The only way to conquer the Isles would be to immolate vast swathes of jungle, which would kill thousands and cause constant resentment of the invaders: perfect breeding grounds for revolution.

As for your other ideas, the lands beyond the Wall are too poor and inhospitable to make taking them over worthwhile, and the Free Cities were in awe of the Targaryens and their dragons, reducing the liklihood that any Targaryen king would sanction a campaign against them. They are also too powerful to take easily, and likely to come to each other's defence if need be.

No, no and no.

For the first thing, I agree going south is a bad move for the Starks, but even so I fail to see how it would be a great obsticle to get troops to the North? Either they attack Moat Cailin after the dragons have burned that to crisps or they, with dragon support, sail into a devastated shell of a town, with walls and harbor, previously called White Harbor. Once you got that foothold you can pretty much just use the great southern navy to sail men and supplies into the harbor.

I doubt that 200 000 men are necessary to defeat the Starks, or that even 100 000 is. With dragon support you should beat them with even numbers. Dragons might only be at once place at a time, but the men-at-arms of the South are just as good as the Northmen to absence of dragons does not mean a Northern victory.

The supply issue is a problem but then again, I don't think such overwhelming numbers are needed. Its not like the Northmen can put hundreds of thousands of men in the field. And then again, sooner or later the Northmen must also return to their own fields to get more food.

This "smart" Torrhen don't exists. He's pretty dumb to start with and there's nothing in the books to suggest that he has some vast navy or that it don't operate from the only significent harbor in the North. Also note that the Northmen are both poor and fairly isolantionistic so I doubt they can pay pirates enough to regularly fight actual warships and make it profitable for these pirates.

Now that's rich about a Northern "Resistence"! Aegon can conquer and put his garnisons in the strongholds of the different Houses and use them as strongholds for raids, incursions or just to dominate the surrounding area, like it was done in real life. The war will be long and bloody, no doubt, but the idea that the Northmen are some super heroes who can demolish their own agricultural society and keep fighting without a weakened spirit belongs in the realm of hack fantasy.

You've missed my point about supply lines. In order to keep his army well supplied across the North Aegon will require long supply lines. Long supply lines are easy to ambush along the vast distances they would need to cover. This would deprive your armies of food whilst supplying your enemies.

This tactics was used by EVERY resistance force dealing with the overwhelming numbers and might of the Nazi armies ,with better supply lines and air support than Aegon could manage. Having large numbers of troops distributed across a large area is a major disadvantage if you cant keep them supplied. Even if you could get supplies North you would still need to transport it to those strongholds you took.

Using Guerilla tactics a small force can overwhelm large forces. If the Northern resistance operates in small regiments no bigger than a few hundred men then they CAN be at more than one place at a time. Making dragon support and huge number almost useless. There will be no pitched battles just ambushes. 

Russia vs Barborossa (spell?), Russia vs Napoleon, Russia vs Hitler, Vietnam vs France, Vietnam vs USA, Ethiopia vs Italy, Somali warlords vs the AU, Taliban vs the world, Belarusian Jews vs Nazis, Haiti vs Imperial France, so why is it bad fantasy to imagine resistance to Aegon? Pick up a history book. Modern armies have more "dragons" than Aegon ever did yet Iraq and Afghanistan are still not under US control and has cost the US over a trillion dollars to fight.

You speak of the armies of the South's numbers as if they are inexhaustible.  To dominate the North you would need troops in all the major holdings and maybe some minor ones, makimg your army prone to ambush, raids and starvation, as well as incapable of helping itself. Oh, and didn't he do that in Dorne too? Dorne which is smaller and closer to food sources? Did it work? 

The Northmen don't need to destroy their society to win. Just harvest before the war and take the grain supplies usually found in castle garrisons and go guerilla. When you enemies get there they would need their own supply lines or piss of the peasants and steal from them. The Northern peasantry will support it's fighting men with provisions there after in hopes of defeating the invader. You know like in REAL life. What makes you think that the Northmen are less patriotic and fiercely independent than the Dornish? 

Aegon cant control the north or ANY region without subduing the nobility. Like in the faith uprisings but with stronger enemies and in a more hostile environment. As long as the North is willing to fight he cannot win. Winter is coming, and with it the doom of Aegon's armies in far away places.

Like the Vikings found out against Alfred if the people want to keep fighting it doesn't matter if you control the buildings. So go ahead Aegon spread your armies thin from moat Callin to the Wall and White Harbor to the Wolf's wood. And then supply it reliably with food and reinforcements. Goodluck.

Only thing I need is Karl - the fooking legend! ;)

Seriously - try to contact the house of Black and White ASAP and pay any price. Remember them about Valyria if they are sceptical.

Or give up and honor them with a feast - Frey-style, if you feel less honorable (not that assassins are in the first place, but still).

It is quite simple, pledge allegiance to the Targs right away, without waiting for Conquest to start. Then throw feast in their honor and kidnap two of them and make the third to do your bidding, and then long live Whoever-I-was-in-this-scenario First of His Name.

Everyone knows you are not obliged with honor when other side has dragons

I have given the possibility of dragonlords attacking the Summer Isles some thought in the past, and I came to the conclusion that it would be a tall order even for the Valyrian Freehold at its height, not to mention one surviving (minor) family of dragonlords.

I very much doubt that any but the strongest dragons could fly all the way across the seas to the Summer Isles, meaning that they must be brought in by ship, which limits the size of the dragons that you can bring. Once landed the dragons would be under constant threat from archers' attacks with their famed goldenheart bows, and armies would be at the mercy of guerilla warfare from the jungle. The only way to conquer the Isles would be to immolate vast swathes of jungle, which would kill thousands and cause constant resentment of the invaders: perfect breeding grounds for revolution.

As for your other ideas, the lands beyond the Wall are too poor and inhospitable to make taking them over worthwhile, and the Free Cities were in awe of the Targaryens and their dragons, reducing the liklihood that any Targaryen king would sanction a campaign against them. They are also too powerful to take easily, and likely to come to each other's defence if need be.

Land beyond the wall

Well I have mix feelings about that. Its true that part of it is inhospitable. However its also true that its been isolated and poorly managed for thousand of years. The haunted forest is rich of iron wood, sentinel and oak. The thenns are rich of bronze, iron and leather and the land is rich of all sort of exotic creatures from the children of the forest to giants, from direwolf to snow cats. There's alot to learn from such cultures while the exotic animals can be sold for big money to Essos.

Also with the freefolk out of the way, the night's watch will not be needed anymore. The wall and the gift could be given to noblemen royal to the crown. The North's smallfolk will be grateful of getting rid of the freefolk who constantly raid the Northern villages and will become more loyal to the crown. The North will become richer through trade with the new colonies and lack of raids from the freefolk. It would have a ripple effect on the economy as a whole. 

The true north may not be the richest lands around but its little effort for maximum benefit sort of thing. The freefolk are badly organized, poorly armed and trained. You don't even need dragons to knock them off. You just build a strong army made up of soldiers from the Vale and the North and provide them with fleet support from the royal fleet and the greyjoys and voila the land will be conquered in no time

The Summer isles

Would be logistic nightmare however they are

a- extremely rich
b- they are divided in small kingdoms which may be turned against one another
c- its people aren't warlike

The Summer Isles could easily become the GOT version of the new world with its riches (gems and spices) changing the economy of Westeros forever. Im pretty confident that an organized army backed by a strong fleet can invade parts of the summer isles and blockading the rest of it making it impossible for them to bring in reinforcements. 

The free cities

Will probably be the most difficult of challenges. However careful diplomacy can turn them one against the other. If the Dothraki can bring fear to them imagine what an organized Westerosi army financed by the Lannister, Tyells and the Summer isles can do 

You've missed my point about supply lines. In order to keep his army well supplied across the North Aegon will require long supply lines. Long supply lines are easy to ambush along the vast distances it would need to cover. This would deprive your armies of food whilst supplying your enemies.

This tactics was used by EVERY resistance force dealing woth the overwhelming numbers and might of the Nazi armies ,with better supply lines and air support than Aegon could manage. Having large numbers of troops distributed across a large area is a major disadvantage if you cant keep them supplied. Even if you can get supplies North you would still need to transport it to those strongholds you took.

Using Guerilla tactics a small force and overwhelm large forces. If the Northern resistance operates in small regiments no bigger than a few hundred men then they CAN be at more than one place at a time. Making dragon support and huge number almost useless. There will be no pitched battles just ambushes. 

Russia vs Barborossa (spell?), Russia vs Napoleon, Russia vs Hitler, Vietnam vs France, Vietnam vs USA, Ethiopia vs Italy, Somali warlords vs the AU, Taliban vs the world, Belarusian Jews vs Nazis, Haiti vs Imperial France, so why is it bad fantasy to imagine resistance to Aegon? Pick up a history book. Modern armies have more "dragons" than Aegon ever did yet Iraq and Afghanistan is still not under US control and has cost the US over a trillion dollars to fight.

You speak of the armies of the South's numbers as if they are inexhaustible.  To dominate the North you would need troops and all the major holdings and maybe some minor ones, makimg your army prone to ambish, raids and starvation, as well as incapable of helping itself. Oh, and didn't he do that in Dorne too? Dorne which is smaller and closer to food sources? Did it work? 

The Northmen don't need to destroy their society to win. Just harvest before the war and take the grain supplies usually found in castle garrisons and go guerilla. When you enemies get there they would need their own supply lines or piss of the peasants and steal from them. The Northern peasantry will support its fighting men with provisions there after in hopes of defeating the invader. You know like in REAL life. What makes you think that the Northmen are less patriotic and fiercely independent than the Dornish? 

Aegon cant control the north or ANY region without subduing the nobility. Like in the faith uprisings but with stronger enemies and in a more hostile environment. As long as the North is willing to fight he cannot win. Winter is coming, and with it the doom of Aegon's armies in far away places.

Like the Vikings found out against Alfred if the people want to keep fighting it doesn't matter if you control the buildings. So go ahead Aegon spread your armies thin from moat Callin to the Wall and White Harbor to the Wolf's wood. And then supply it reliably with food and reinforcements. Goodluck.

a- Russia and Vietnam (who was backed by the Chinese) had near unlimited human resources when compared to their enemies. That's not the case with the North whose human resources are far from unexhaustable

b- They were all willing to sacrifice their people and lands and go to guerilla warfare. Most of the North Lords would see such strategy as dishonorable (retreating in front of the enemy, leaving their subjects behind to face the fury of their enemy) and would be upset if Lord Stark would ask that for them. FFS the Greatjon threatened to leave because he had to follow a Glover imagine what he would do if he's ordered to abandon his lands to the enemy and escape like some coward

c- The North remembers and for the Starks to become kings they had to pass over plenty of bodies. A couple of defeats would be enough for the North Lords to start grumbling and questioning the 'King' who is losing the North. Things would be easier now that the Boltons are in control. No one likes the Bolton and if Aegon can get his fingers over a Stark than the North will help him win the North. 

a- Russia and Vietnam (who was backed by the Chinese) had near unlimited human resources when compared to their enemies. That's not the case with the North whose human resources are far from unexhaustable

b- They were all willing to sacrifice their people and lands and go to guerilla warfare. Most of the North Lords would see such strategy as dishonorable (retreating in front of the enemy, leaving their subjects behind to face the fury of their enemy) and would be upset if Lord Stark would ask that for them. FFS the Greatjon threatened to leave because he had to follow a Glover imagine what he would do if he's ordered to abandon his lands to the enemy and escape like some coward

c- The North remembers and for the Starks to become kings they had to pass over plenty of bodies. A couple of defeats would be enough for the North Lords to start grumbling and questioning the 'King' who is losing the North. Things would be easier now that the Boltons are in control. No one likes the Bolton and if Aegon can get his fingers over a Stark than the North will help him win the North. 

a) Russia and Vietnam didn't win because of numbers alone. Guerilla war isn't about numbers. What about Haiti, the Taliban the jews and Dorne? Mobility, positioning and terrain knowledge are far more important in Guerilla warfare. Just look at the rebels of South America who don't have numbers on their side. I dont need to be huge to punch a UFC fighter in the face and run away.

b ) what makes you think the Northern lords are above hit and run tactics ( Robb's entire battle strategy was luring his enemies into ambushes)? And for Independence of all things. Im sure most Northerners would rather die standing then live on their knees. To Southerners of all people. So Aegon is going to take his fury out on the peasants he needs to farm the land in case supply lines fail? Ok. Let him be an Oppressive twit, this only HELPS strength the resistance and weaken himself. This isnt reliant on the great lords as it is on small groups of troops harassing all Targ operations. As long as men are willing to fight for their country there will be a resistance.

C) this to them isn't a war for a Stark king, its a War for the North, its people and its religion. People were mad at Robb becuase he wasn't there to defend the North. You dont abandon you king when he is actively fighting for the soul of your nation.(Alfred the Great). Anyone who betrays a king at this point is seen as a traitor to his nation. 

Get his hands on a Stark? So a traitor. Why would the North rally around a turncloak? Remember Theon? He wasn't even Northern! XD

The North will fight. The North would do anything necessary for its people and lands.

a) Russia and Vietnam didn't win because of numbers alone. Guerilla war isn't about numbers. What about Haiti, the Taliban the jews and Dorne? Mobility, positioning and terrain knowledge are far more important in Guerilla warfare. Just look at the rebels of South America who don't have numbers on their side. I dont need to be huge to punch a UFC fighter in the face and run away.

b ) what makes you think the Northern lords are above hit and run tactics ( Robb's entire battle strategy was luring his enemies into ambushes)? And for Independence of all things. Im sure most Northerners would rather die standing then live on their knees. To Southerners of all people. So Aegon is going to take his fury out on the peasants he needs to farm the land in case supply lines fail? Ok. Let him be an Oppressive twit, this only HELPS strength the resistance and weaken himself. This isnt reliant on the great lords as it is on small groups of troops harassing all Targ operations. As long as men are willing to fight for their country there will be a resistance.

C) this to them isn't a war for a Stark king, its a War for the North, its people and its religion. People were mad at Robb becuase he wasn't there to defend the North. You dont abandon you king when he is actively fighting for the soul of your nation.(Alfred the Great). Anyone who betrays a king at this point is seen as a traitor to his nation. 

Get his hands on a Stark? So a traitor. Why would the North rally around a turncloak? Remember Theon? He wasn't even Northern! XD

The North will fight. The North would do anything necessary for its people and lands.

a- numbers played a big part too. Russia could afford making mistakes and losing ridiculous amount of soldiers and still get on top.I don't know much about Haiti but I got mates who either served in Afghanistan or had their father serve there (both Russians and Americans). Both say the same thing about the people there. Each and every person there knows how to fight from the tiny 10 year old to the elderly 80 year old who can barely walk. The person who smiled at you yesterday may try to kill you today because earlier on you stared at his third cousin daughter for too long. A warlike population can make a big big army dear

b-Simple, the books. Whenever things get wrong or the Northern Lords get slighted (even a little like having to follow the Glovers at the van) the Northern Lords reaction was that of turning tail and go home to their desolate castle in the middle of nowhere. That includes Ned who had been central in all King Rob campaigns. He never shown a hint of ambition in his life and would have preferred being holed in Winterfell than be Hand of the King. For a Northern Lord, home is everything. He mingle with the people, his sons and wards are well versed with the local whores, his daughters play with the butcher boys and he even make sure he cuts the heads of every northern person (including his children's pets) personally. Do you think that such lord would turn tail and abandon his own people to the Southern invader in their time of need? I much doubt it. Honour is everything for them. Brandon Stark went to KL alone to face Rhaegar, Rickard did the same in a bid to save his boy, Robb didn't even waited to build a decent army in a bid to save his grandpa and his uncle. That's not the mentality of someone capable of fighting guerilla warfare at least not in his own lands. 

c- And that is exactly why I dont think that guerilla warfare would work in the North. Ultimately a Greatjon would rather die in his own castle than abandoning his people in a tactical retreat. 

The Starks aren't traitors and Rickon/Bran/Arya/Sansa (the last is not as clear cut) can't be blamed of their brother's mistakes. If Aegon can get his hands to one of them, especially the boys and have him bend the knee to him than he's got a winner. The North would do its outmost to get rid of the treacherous Boltons and restore the Starks as Lord Paramount of the North

Archived