NBA Season 2015/16 - Currying Favor

Relic

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Things like "The Decision" and statements like "The Cavs home opener is one of the most important sporting events of all time" Seems to me he gets high of the smell of his own headband, ya know? Just can't buy in, regardless of how talented he is.

I dunno, the Decision bothered me at the time, it no longer does. And it only really bothered me because i was pissed he didn't pick the Knicks. As for Bron's ego...try being told you are "The King" from age 16 and see if you don't develop a good deal of self love :P

I think, all things considered, Lebron handles himself like a true professional. He's always seemed far more mature than his age in terms of his off court actions. He is unselfish with the basketball, and knows it takes a team to win, making his off the court ego totally irrelevant to me, as a basketball fan. He also has a true love and RESPECT for the game, and the history of the game, and is obsessed with winning. Hard to ask more of a person who dedicates their life to something as...trivial as a sport. 

I really don't know too many people who like "King" James TBH. I respect his game but as Manhole said, "The Decision" really turned me off. One of the best basketball players we'll ever see play and I enjoy watching him but just not really a fan of his personally.

And besides Lebron owning the Bulls, all the early comparisons with him and Jordan put me on the defensive early. It is silly but I think that's why I never cared for him from the start.

1 hour ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Blatt out as head coach of Cavs, Tyronn Lue promoted. Interesting timing.

Also a day after Lebron and Love were making thinly veiled comments about each other through the media. Wonder if there could be a further shake up. Or if Lue can figure out how to use Love better. 

The thing is, the Cavs are still dominating the East and on pace to win 60 games. It just the emergence of two superteams in the West has highlighted the sense they're not good enough as presently constituted. 

49 minutes ago, Relic said:

I think, all things considered, Lebron handles himself like a true professional. He's always seemed far more mature than his age in terms of his off court actions. He is unselfish with the basketball, and knows it takes a team to win, making his off the court ego totally irrelevant to me, as a basketball fan. He also has a true love and RESPECT for the game, and the history of the game, and is obsessed with winning. Hard to ask more of a person who dedicates their life to something as...trivial as a sport. 

I agree with you to an extent. For a MegaSuperstar, his ego does seem fairly reasonable. It's when he injects himself into Front Office types of issues that I think he's unprofessional. The Wiggins/Love thing in particular. I know the Front Office made that decision ultimately, but it seems like he has more pull than is probably healthy.

34 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

I really don't know too many people who like "King" James TBH. I respect his game but as Manhole said, "The Decision" really turned me off. One of the best basketball players we'll ever see play and I enjoy watching him but just not really a fan of his personally.

And besides Lebron owning the Bulls, all the early comparisons with him and Jordan put me on the defensive early. It is silly but I think that's why I never cared for him from the start.

Yeah, that's what it mostly boils down to for me. I'm going to look for reasons to dislike a really talented player who doesn't play for my team. Drinking the Haterade.  

5 hours ago, Relic said:

You KNOW you're getting desperate when you're looking to Josh Smith to be your savior. :P

He was excellent for the Rockets last year, and it left a big hole when he left. I know it's fashionable to hate on the guy, but I really could see him turning this team around. The offensive movement and defensive coverage was already looking much better against Milwaukee tonight, and his stat-line (2 points, 2 steals, 3 blocks, 5 assists, 6 rebounds) is a testament to how much of an impact he had despite not being able to buy a bucket. Everything just seems to flow better when Smith is on the court - the ball finds the shooters in the corner, the rotations actually happen on time. I suddenly feel a lot more optimistic about the second half of the season :). Maybe not "going to win it all" optimistic, but at least "might be able to avoid a first round against the Spurs and Warriors" optimistic.

ST

7 hours ago, Sir Thursday said:

He was excellent for the Rockets last year, and it left a big hole when he left. I know it's fashionable to hate on the guy, but I really could see him turning this team around. The offensive movement and defensive coverage was already looking much better against Milwaukee tonight, and his stat-line (2 points, 2 steals, 3 blocks, 5 assists, 6 rebounds) is a testament to how much of an impact he had despite not being able to buy a bucket. Everything just seems to flow better when Smith is on the court - the ball finds the shooters in the corner, the rotations actually happen on time. I suddenly feel a lot more optimistic about the second half of the season :). Maybe not "going to win it all" optimistic, but at least "might be able to avoid a first round against the Spurs and Warriors" optimistic.

ST

Yeah, i was just being cheeky. Smith definitely helped the Rockets out last year, we'll see what he does for them this time around. He's only 30, so he's got gas left in the tank. Just get him to stop shooting that horrible 3 pointer. 

Blatt is the fall guy, from the moment he started.

It never seemed like he would finish year 1. Then he does, saved perhaps the two big injuries in the finals, and halfway into the second season he goes anyway.

But it's hard to object to the choice made the Cavs here, I think, it didn't seem like a good fit, apparently the players were much closer with this assistant and it is as it always seemed to be: just a matter of time before Blatt was inevitably sacked,

The question of course is if there isn't something really rotten in that Cavs group of players regardless of Blatt not being the perfect guy to lead that team. 

And on another note, the Bulls just keep on losing. I see they are still comfortably making the playoffs but still, they are doing far worse than I thought they would this year, their last chance with Gasol.

Just having the firing come on the heels of that embarrassing home loss is kind of a bad look. I never really got the impression that Blatt was anything special as a coach, but the Cavs do have the best record in the East. Seems kind of knee-jerky, unless you truly believe that Lue is an upgrade. 

Oh man, I love having Josh Smith back in Houston. He pretty much single-handedly took the game away from the Mavs in the 4th quarter here. When they went small with him at the 5 it was devastating. You'll probably see the Dream Shake he put on Nowitzki in the highlights packages, that was epic. It's his combination of ball-handling and passing that changes things - he's so good at drawing the defence and finding the corner three point shooter, and it's exactly what the Rockets' system needs. He even made a walk-in three pointer tonight! (I'm at least realistic enough to not expect that every night)

This is the first time this season that the team has actually been a pleasure to watch. I'm excited :). Just hope they can keep this up!

ST

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Warriors-Spurs tonight. 7:30pm Pacific. Looks like Duncan is out due to knee pain, but this should still be a marquee matchup, methinks. 

Can make an easy case this is the best regular season matchup in history. Glad I get NBATV though ESPN continues to be mega-fail in the games they end up broadcasting. Lost count how many times the Lakers have been on. 

Archived