Comics XII: All New, All Twelve

GallowKnight

13 hours ago, CyanidePie said:

1/3 of me wants that to be the truest rumor ever. The other 2/3 would rather have him continuing to write The Vision. 

He'll be going exclusive if they have him on Batman I bet. It also sounds like "Grayson" is ending and "Omega Men" was always on the verge of cancellation. But you'll get King Batman twice a month on the plus side.

3 hours ago, The King In Black said:

Rebirth sounds like one of those make-or-break things for DC.

It will still carry on even if it fails. It's just a shame their recent attempt at reaching a wider audience failed. It did so in terms of sales - although there was evidence to suggest they were reaching a new audience.

It's not like Marvel doesn't have to have a big event every 6 months to stay afloat either.  I guess Marvel could just publish star wars comics if they had to.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

He'll be going exclusive if they have him on Batman I bet. It also sounds like "Grayson" is ending and "Omega Men" was always on the verge of cancellation. But you'll get King Batman twice a month on the plus side.

DC cancelled The Omega Men months ago, but after fan backlash, and backlash from King himself, agreed to let the book go for its full 12-issue run, which is all King ever pitched for the book in the first place. 

DC just seems to be a clusterfuck of incompetence and nonsense right now. Moving Batman to bi-weekly is stupid. You've got B&R Eternal at weekly, as well as Detective and JL which Batman appears in monthly, there is no reason to move the main title to bi-weekly. As the biggest Batman fan this side of Kevin Smith, there's too much goddamn Batman. 

I am in favor of DC relaunching with all new #1's though, especially if this is their attempt to get their house back in order and maintain a coherent continuity.

1 hour ago, CyanidePie said:

DC cancelled The Omega Men months ago, but after fan backlash, and backlash from King himself, agreed to let the book go for its full 12-issue run, which is all King ever pitched for the book in the first place. 

DC just seems to be a clusterfuck of incompetence and nonsense right now. Moving Batman to bi-weekly is stupid. You've got B&R Eternal at weekly, as well as Detective and JL which Batman appears in monthly, there is no reason to move the main title to bi-weekly. As the biggest Batman fan this side of Kevin Smith, there's too much goddamn Batman. 

I am in favor of DC relaunching with all new #1's though, especially if this is their attempt to get their house back in order and maintain a coherent continuity.

Batman sells, though.  Marvel double-ships Amazing Spider-Man--shit, for a while there during Big Time, was it, it was triple-shipping--as well as some other things.  (They tend not to stick to weeks so it's harder to know what comes out when, I find.)  B&R Eternal is weekly but ending in the 20s, because they figured out not to make it as long this time.  Tec should be a contrasting tone from the flagship Batbook; I tend to like it when it's a stealth, well, detective book, like it has been recently.  JL could honestly bear to double-ship, considering the amount of plots and things that have been built up in it and not realized, like Rise of the Seven Seas.

Probably the stupidest thing I've seen is someone saying that if Rebirth doesn't work out DC could go bankrupt, which is 1) not true in general about sales 2) completely not understanding anything about corporate organization, either.  My best-case scenario is getting some good solid books on characters and such that have been missing lately, like the Justice Society.  They've been Limbo'd off the main stage before, it's nothing new for them to come back.

I don't understand the existence of a vast majority of DC's current lineup, which is probably what they have started to realize. 

I appreciate the hell out of DC's attempts with the DCYOU, they really tried to shake things up and put continuity aside and focus on storytelling and they really churned out some great shit, particularly The Omega Men, Martian Manhunter, Constantine The Hellblazer, and Black Canary. But if I'm being honest, these books shouldn't exist at DC, and if they do, they need to be advertised as miniseries with a set issue count in mind. 

I have been praising The Omega Men since it started, and have consistently named it the best book going for DC, but unfortunately nobody else in the world cares. If this story was pitched to Image, it would go for years and years, but it just does not fit what DC does. 

There's room for maybe 2 books that are "outside the box" at DC, because regardless of how hard they would like to branch out and expand, DC fans are extremely narrow minded, and have tunnel vision on the Holy Trinity. 

You don't "pitch" things to Image.  You come to them with a book pretty much created and drawn and they decide if they want to publish it, and you take on a great deal of the risks of doing so. 

Image was set up so that creators could do what they want with their creations, and reap the benefits financially. When a book is published by Image, creators are not paid up front. It can sometimes be two or three months before one sees money from a book. It sounds rough, and it most definitely can be. But if it’s done right, the payoff can be far more rewarding than producing a book in the conventional manner.

When the creator does finally get paid, they get paid on what their book makes after the cost of printing and Image’s modest office fee, which covers solicitations, traffic, production, and some promotion of the book. We make no more money off of our highest selling book than we do our lowest.

This is part of why things at Image frequently 1) sink 2) end early, you know?

Also: when things are labeled as minis, they sell more poorly than if it's sold as an ongoing but the structure has been clearly set from the start.  That's why no one does more of them, these days.  Didio and Alonso and Breevort have all repeatedly talked about this.  When they are run, it's often as a test gauge for an ongoing, or some kind of pet project that's maybe going to make things back in trade.  Digital sells so much less than people think.

The niche stuff has always been supported by the mainline big sellers.

15 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

You don't "pitch" things to Image.  You come to them with a book pretty much created and drawn and they decide if they want to publish it, and you take on a great deal of the risks of doing so. 

This is part of why things at Image frequently 1) sink 2) end early, you know?

Also: when things are labeled as minis, they sell more poorly than if it's sold as an ongoing but the structure has been clearly set from the start.  That's why no one does more of them, these days.  Didio and Alonso and Breevort have all repeatedly talked about this.  When they are run, it's often as a test gauge for an ongoing, or some kind of pet project that's maybe going to make things back in trade.  Digital sells so much less than people think.

The niche stuff has always been supported by the mainline big sellers.

Yeah - Image is a gamble when you're an unknown. The plus is Image has a good rep these days and it gets you noticed. But I'd say most of the current Image creators (particularly writers) are ones that got their name by doing Marvel/DC work first (well they had to do indy/smaller publishes prior to that).  An exception is probably Kirkman who I think has always been best known for Walking Dead and Invincible (he did other things before those too). I remember Kirkman saying he didn't even take money from the monthy sales of walking dead - deciding the artist needed it (he could always write other paid gigs on top). That was most certainly in the early days of the series. I think Justin Jordan was describing the pay wrt Image work in that he's making a living but it's based on trade sales so every 5-6 months.

If i ever crack into it I'll be doing so with the day job fully intact, that's for sure.

The point about mini-series is interesting but the editors always seem to ignore an implication from it. If you relaunch your books every year then all your titles are mini-series. What happens when readers mentally make this connection. Silk and spider-gwen are on their second/third volumes already. Are they ongoings or mini-series?

As for the number of Bat books it's supply and demand. The other thing to take into account is that if Batman is selling 200K copies a month then that extra 100K sales maybe (just maybe) makes editors more lenient on those 5 comics selling under 20K a month. Especially if the person writing Batman is writing one of the lower selling books. I have a feeling Amazing Spider-man has helped prop up sales of sister titles, the same with other tentpole books.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

The point about mini-series is interesting but the editors always seem to ignore an implication from it. If you relaunch your books every year then all your titles are mini-series. What happens when readers mentally make this connection. Silk and spider-gwen are on their second/third volumes already. Are they ongoings or mini-series?

As for the number of Bat books it's supply and demand. The other thing to take into account is that if Batman is selling 200K copies a month then that extra 100K sales maybe (just maybe) makes editors more lenient on those 5 comics selling under 20K a month. Especially if the person writing Batman is writing one of the lower selling books. I have a feeling Amazing Spider-man has helped prop up sales of sister titles, the same with other tentpole books.

That's what's happening, apparently, with the Marvel relaunches--things that are basically continuing story-wise despite the renumbering are coming back notably lower than the normal per issue depreciation.  The Secret Wars delays didn't help, but a lot of n00bs just jumped off.  Renumbering should be reserved for a more profound change in creative team and status quo.

And yes, exactly right, that the tentpoles support the niche--and sometimes when the niche gets made, it has a surprising trade afterlife.  There's an omnibus of the Superior Foes of Spider-Man out this week, which is the best comedy book Marvel has done in years.  Highly recommended, Etsy it from the artist and he'll sketch in it for you. :D

Uncanny X-men is on my "not even with a rented..." because GREG LAND.  Land is my complete dealbreaker.  No no no no no.  I've put up with some bad art for good writing, but I won't do that.

17 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

That's what's happening, apparently, with the Marvel relaunches--things that are basically continuing story-wise despite the renumbering are coming back notably lower than the normal per issue depreciation.  The Secret Wars delays didn't help, but a lot of n00bs just jumped off.  Renumbering should be reserved for a more profound change in creative team and status quo.

And yes, exactly right, that the tentpoles support the niche--and sometimes when the niche gets made, it has a surprising trade afterlife.  There's an omnibus of the Superior Foes of Spider-Man out this week, which is the best comedy book Marvel has done in years.  Highly recommended, Etsy it from the artist and he'll sketch in it for you. :D

That's worrying if the renumbering is already resulting in diminishing returns. I guess the collector's have cottoned on to the notion that number 1 issues at Marvel are worthless (they'd have to have a new character or something to make it collectible). While it's not as bad as the 90s speculator boom/crash I do think a lot of people pick up issue 1s thinking they are going to be worth something which is why the drop off for issue 2 isn't necessarily because people don't like it but because they don't think issue 2 will be worth anything.

It makes me wonder if all new all different was a way to try and convince people the new issue 1s were collectible? I mean, you get the first female Thor, black captain America, etc,etc.

I'm sure a similar thing happens with Image but there's usually more chance of them being worth something (as they are new concepts books) and because you know those titles may last a while once they do start.

3 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

The only marvel comics im reading are All-new Wolverine, All-new avengers, Spider-Gwen, Silk, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel. The rest is too hard to keep track of.

I'll probably read Slott's Spider-man when it trades. I stopped Daredevil after Waid left and nothing in the X-men/Avenger lines grabs me.

In balance I'm pretty indifferent to DC at the moment too - I really need to cancel my pull lists as I haven't read any DC books for over a year on that.

I'm not sure what would bring me into Marvel again. The Ultimate style line would sort of suit me at the moment. I think if they said "buy this X/Avenger book and you don't need to buy any others" I'd join in. And if they had a creator I liked involved I'd probably give them a go. It'd probably be weird combos like Geoff Johns on X-men or Snyder on Captain America kind of strange. There're certain artists I'd still check out but it seems like MArk Millar and the Image books have most of the A-listers I love on board these days. Or Morrison on any DC/MArvel property. Maybe Marvel could try a Marvel Knights imprint at some stage? Maybe do it with the netflix characters and bring some A-list talent to them like they did in the late 90s?

I still feel a bit bad about not supporting DCyou but I figure the point of that is to get a new audience which I'm not. I think I'm just going through a phase where I appreciate the indy books that only require me buying a single book every month. As a teenager I lapped up buying a dozen x-books and reading them in order though, so can see why other publishers go for tied-in books.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

I'll probably read Slott's Spider-man when it trades. I stopped Daredevil after Waid left and nothing in the X-men/Avenger lines grabs me.

In balance I'm pretty indifferent to DC at the moment too - I really need to cancel my pull lists as I haven't read any DC books for over a year on that.

I'm not sure what would bring me into Marvel again. The Ultimate style line would sort of suit me at the moment. I think if they said "buy this X/Avenger book and you don't need to buy any others" I'd join in. And if they had a creator I liked involved I'd probably give them a go. It'd probably be weird combos like Geoff Johns on X-men or Snyder on Captain America kind of strange. There're certain artists I'd still check out but it seems like MArk Millar and the Image books have most of the A-listers I love on board these days. Or Morrison on any DC/MArvel property. Maybe Marvel could try a Marvel Knights imprint at some stage? Maybe do it with the netflix characters and bring some A-list talent to them like they did in the late 90s?

I still feel a bit bad about not supporting DCyou but I figure the point of that is to get a new audience which I'm not. I think I'm just going through a phase where I appreciate the indy books that only require me buying a single book every month. As a teenager I lapped up buying a dozen x-books and reading them in order though, so can see why other publishers go for tied-in books.

I've given up on DC comics, Secret Six isn't doing it for me anymore, I was never a Batman or Superman fan and Wonder Woman went back to being mediocre as hell the minute Azzarrello left.

I am however reading some European comics on the side and I might pick up Saga.

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

I've given up on DC comics, Secret Six isn't doing it for me anymore, I was never a Batman or Superman fan and Wonder Woman went back to being mediocre as hell the minute Azzarrello left.

I am however reading some European comics on the side and I might pick up Saga.

I should really be a bit more adventurous and try some non- US comics. I think it's fairly easy to get translations of european comics now and I guess there's a lot of manga out there too. One-punch-man sounds like it may be exactly what I need given my attitude towards superheroes these days.

It helps that Image and quite a few of the other smaller publishes provide enough interesting things to keep me entertained. These things are cyclical I'm sure in a few years time I'll be ready for superheroes again when people approach them slightly differently. A bit like when Wildstorm was doing stormwatch/Authority and how that spilled into the Ultimate line at marvel.

7 minutes ago, red snow said:

I should really be a bit more adventurous and try some non- US comics. I think it's fairly easy to get translations of european comics now and I guess there's a lot of manga out there too. One-punch-man sounds like it may be exactly what I need given my attitude towards superheroes these days.

It helps that Image and quite a few of the other smaller publishes provide enough interesting things to keep me entertained. These things are cyclical I'm sure in a few years time I'll be ready for superheroes again when people approach them slightly differently. A bit like when Wildstorm was doing stormwatch/Authority and how that spilled into the Ultimate line at marvel.

Im reading something called Ekho the Mirrorworld, it has the same artist that did Sky Dolls, but the writer is actually good.

Archived