LugaJetboyGirl-irra

Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance v. 3.0

Rereading the Pax Arcana series again.  I'd somehow forgotten just how snarky John is, especially in the chapter titles.  Some of them are worth a good laugh.

Also, John's relationship with Sig has to be the best, least annoying romantic subplot I've seen in an urban fantasy series.  The male lead precludes the whole alphahole thing from happening, sure.  But unlike many male led series, Sig is actually allowed to do things and be John's equal instead of just being a sidekick or supporting cast.  She's the hero of her own story, with her own motivations, fears, and character development.

Which is why I'm terrified that the author is going to yell "PSYCH!" and fridge her or something.

Edited by Mars447

I just looked up the Pax Arcana series.  Should a new reader start with the short stories?

18 minutes ago, Mandy said:

I just looked up the Pax Arcana series.  Should a new reader start with the short stories?

I'd say no.  The short stories are all prequels, but the first book sets up pretty much everything you need to know.

One of the short stories sets up a supporting character who appears in book 3.

I finished The Others books 1-4 by Anne Bishop.  I liked them enough to read more.  

I started the Innkeeper Chronicles by Ilona Andrews and now I have decided that I want to be an innkeeper.  Seriously.  As if Gilmore Girls wasn't enough to solidify that need in me. The first few chapters of each book are online.  I'm enjoying the meld of cute, fantasy inn that melds itself to the innkeeper's needs and the intergalctic travel.  I recommend.  http://innkeeper.ilona-andrews.com/

8 hours ago, Mandy said:

I finished The Others books 1-4 by Anne Bishop.  I liked them enough to read more.  

I started the Innkeeper Chronicles by Ilona Andrews and now I have decided that I want to be an innkeeper.  Seriously.  As if Gilmore Girls wasn't enough to solidify that need in me. The first few chapters of each book are online.  I'm enjoying the meld of cute, fantasy inn that melds itself to the innkeeper's needs and the intergalctic travel.  I recommend.  http://innkeeper.ilona-andrews.com/

I agree totally about Innkeeper. The Inns are an awesome worldbuilding feature and the Innkeepers life as shown is very pleasant to read

Just read The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson.  It's a pretty great freshman urban fantasy set in 1900s San Francisco Chinatown, with an Asian (predominantly Daoist) inspired magic system.  Xiang Li Lin is a young widow, a low ranking Daoist exorcist-sorcerer, and a woman cursed with the ability to see spirits in the world around her.  When a rival sorcerer cripples her father, a powerful exorcist, in an assassination attempt, Li Lin must use her wits to fight out who is responsible and bring them to justice.

Great characters, magic system, and setting.  I would have liked to see more of how "normal people" lived, and some of the pacing in the middle third of the book was a little wonky, and there's one character development that happens in the denouement that seemed to be done more to set up for a sequel rather than because it fit naturally, but overall as a debut and in general this was great.

Edited by Mars447

I got 81 pages into the 291 page book, "A Demon Bound", the first book in the Imp series by Debra Dunbar.  I HATE leaving books unfinished, but I am not really enjoying it.  The main character is a demon who stole a human woman's body and has been living on Earth for the past 40 years. The plot so far has mostly consisted of her trying to get into her neighbor's pants, shocking people around her with nudity and vulgarity, and being naively conflicted about her attachment to aforementioned neighbor.  It's... meh. She's unlikable. So far it's not really my cup of tea.  So much for Goodreads' list of "top urban fantasy".  Looks like most of it is really paranormal romance, which is not what I was looking for.

I've started back on the second Charlie Madigan book in the Kelly Gay series while I decide whether or not to finish the other one.

ETA: Ack.  2 hours later and I've decided to try to finish off the Imp book.  At least the plot got a bit better in the next 20 pages.

Edited by Mandy

Sorry for the double post - which of the Anne Bishops are the weird ones again?  The Black Jewels trilogy that isn't a trilogy, the World of the Fae or the Landscapes of Ephemera?

Oi - that ceremony has nothing to do with levelling or the full moon! ;)

The issue is that a traumatic first experience can cause permanent damage. The birthright and final ceremonies (can't remember the name) that involve getting their jewels (and hence determining power) have nothing to do with sex. That said, yes some won't like the black jewels triology (which was a trilogy, there have just been a bunch of following books written).   

17 hours ago, Mandy said:

I got 81 pages into the 291 page book, "A Demon Bound", the first book in the Imp series by Debra Dunbar.  I HATE leaving books unfinished, but I am not really enjoying it.  The main character is a demon who stole a human woman's body and has been living on Earth for the past 40 years. The plot so far has mostly consisted of her trying to get into her neighbor's pants, shocking people around her with nudity and vulgarity, and being naively conflicted about her attachment to aforementioned neighbor.  It's... meh. She's unlikable. So far it's not really my cup of tea.  So much for Goodreads' list of "top urban fantasy".  Looks like most of it is really paranormal romance, which is not what I was looking for.

I've started back on the second Charlie Madigan book in the Kelly Gay series while I decide whether or not to finish the other one.

ETA: Ack.  2 hours later and I've decided to try to finish off the Imp book.  At least the plot got a bit better in the next 20 pages.

The Imp series is definitely focussed on black humour. And Sam doesn't change a whole heap. If you don't find her early attempts to cause chaos funny to read, then the series probably isn't for you. Personally, that first book had me cracking up, so it might just be a taste thing. It was hugely recommended to me by several people.

That said, the plot of the second part of the first book and the subsequent books does become a lot tighter. But she always maintains that same sense of humour as she tries to bring a bit of chaos into the world, and generally has terrible respect for human views of right and wrong. But she does learn from the humans around her as well.

On ‎8‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:03 AM, Mandy said:

If you follow them as they're written, the entire books are on-line.

Finished Book 7 of the Alex Verus series this week, Burned.

Overall, thought it was another fantastic book in the series. VERY fast paced, right from the get go, with a number of twists and turns. The series is probably changing direction a little, and I suspect not everyone will be thrilled. But I was captivated right up to the end.

10 hours ago, ants said:

The Imp series is definitely focussed on black humour. And Sam doesn't change a whole heap. If you don't find her early attempts to cause chaos funny to read, then the series probably isn't for you. Personally, that first book had me cracking up, so it might just be a taste thing. It was hugely recommended to me by several people.

That said, the plot of the second part of the first book and the subsequent books does become a lot tighter. But she always maintains that same sense of humour as she tries to bring a bit of chaos into the world, and generally has terrible respect for human views of right and wrong. But she does learn from the humans around her as well.

I'm really glad I kept reading.  The book got MUCH better now that there is a plot.  Some of her antics I find HILARIOUS.  Not wanting to take the highway because there were still people who might remember her from when she sent a bunch of blow up Christmas lawn ornaments down the road? The first third of the book was not clear at all about where the book was going and now I like it more.

ETA: Finished it. There was a misuse of "you're" for "your" in the book and "human's" instead of "humans".  There was also a snippet of the next book at the end of this one, and it had a grammar error as well.  I know I'm a grammar nazi, but don't these people have editors? That's super annoying.

Edited by Mandy

I tried to read Bloodlines but wasn't into it. IDK why I could dig on VA and finish the cycle but not that.

I think it's because Sydney isn't as interesting a character as Rose for a POV. Maybe I'll give it another shot in future.

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I would assume people wouldn't like the black jewels trilogy cause it's gross and super misogynistic and also plain terrible. Plus the names.

I'm not sure if its misogynistic. There is certainly violence against women, but women are also the rulers and men serve. And women with higher jewels are just as powerful as men with higher jewels.

But its certainly got a lot of very explicit violence in it, so I could understand people not liking it due to that.

1 hour ago, Mandy said:

Did I mention the Kate Daniels series was optioned to Voodoo Television?   As we all know, nothing may come of this, but the prospect of it excited me anyway :)  http://www.ilona-andrews.com/voodoo-television/

I can see an AMC Kate Daniels series.  The important thing would be to produce it as an action show in tone, not as a Lost Girl or Bitten.

Although there's a problem in that shape shifters and vampires both will cost a lot of money to show on screen.

Edited by Mars447

Mike Carey (aka M.R. Carey) is finally going to write Felix Castor #6.He announced this on his recent reddit AMA

Castor 6 is going to be my next prose project.

Thanks! I fully intend to write a sixth Castor novel very soon. There's a pay-off that needs to be delivered.

I hope to start work on Castor 6 very soon. Admittedly, I've been hoping that for some years now, but I can see a space opening up where I'll be able to do it.

Spoiler

1.) Are we going to see any retribution human / demonic directed towards Castor for finally getting rid of you know who at the end of #5?

2.) Given what happened to Castor at the end of #5 is he going to be as gobby in #6.

3.) Totally randomly how come the Art Work for the books changed? My copies of The Devil you Know & Vicious Circle look completely different than the other 3. I though the art work on those 2 was amazing. And was one of the reasons I pulled the The Devil you Know off the shelf to have a look (I know, I know never judge a book by it's cover), as it caught my eye.

4.) Are there any similarities between yourself and Castor, seeing as you're both Scouser's who left Liverpool and moved down to London?

5.) Everton or Liverpool?

6.) Any plans to move in a Sci-Fi direction?

I think that's all I'll ask, it's a bit of a coincidence I've seen this today, as I was just speaking to my dad about Girl with All the Gifts, he's a huge fan as well. And he loves Felix Castor for being a gobby scouser who moved dawwwwn sauf (just like dad).

Anyway thanks for all the amazing work, I'm really looking forward for more and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Fellside.

[–]M_R_CareyAMA Author[S] 1 point 4 days ago 

1. We're going to meet some entities who have an opinion on the matter... :)

2. I think the only way of shutting Castor's mouth is quick-setting cement.

3. Orbit decided to switch designers - and to go for a style that shouted out three things on each cover. London. Supernatural. Crime. I like both sets of designs, but I think I prefer the later ones.

4. I suppose I'm like him in the occasional introspection and self-doubt. And I gave him some aspects of my childhood, especially in Thicker Than Water. But I'm the very opposite of a man of action. And I can't hold a tune...

5. Everton for preference, but only because we lived right next to the ground. I don't really follow the game.

6. You could argue that TGWATG is sci-fi. And there was aseries I wrote for 2000AD, called Thirteen. I wouldn't rule it out. I'm avid reader of sci-fi. I just seem to have gravitated more towards horror and dark fantasy as a writer. I sort of feel that the genre boundaries are porous now in any case...

If you're still living in the Pool, irdavid, I'll be back there in September around about the time when the movie of GIRL is released...

OT: sad to learn that he prefers Everton over Liverpool :(

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack