US Election: I could never get the hang of Tuesdays

Kalbear

Sanders might get another position though - similar to Clinton's path. Maybe AG? Can't imagine he would be a secstate in alignment very well, but something domestic might work.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'd be totally pumped for some Bern, too, but I cant imagine a scenario where she asks him.  I think the only way it would make sense is if there was extreme discord within the party and they really needed to do something to express unity.  But Bernie and Hillary have been respectful adversaries.  I agree with Tracker that Julian Castro would be the more likely choice.  I think Castro serves as an antidote to a lot of those "death by a thousand cuts" problem Clinton has.  

Interesting. I don't really know much about Julian Castro, but now that both you and Tracker have mentioned him, I'll have to look him up. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Sanders might get another position though - similar to Clinton's path. Maybe AG? Can't imagine he would be a secstate in alignment very well, but something domestic might work.

How about Supreme Court Justice Bernie Sanders? :P

(The Republicans might be less inclined to block a 74 year old).

1 minute ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

How about Supreme Court Justice Bernie Sanders? :P

(The Republicans might be less inclined to block a 74 year old).

Nothing against Sanders, but NO. No over-sixty Supreme Court judges. We want someone who will live a long, long time. Is Galadriel liberal? And available?

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Holy cow. Clinton won the black vote in Alabama 92-6.

Clinton is winning black voters over Sanders by bigger margins then she lost them to Obama in 2008.

Yep. That firewall turned into a bulldozer. Given that Clinton is otherwise splitting the rest of the demographics it seems like the black vote is really going to take her to victory.

I'm really curious what Sanders could have done to fight it; probably would have had to shown a lot more outreach earlier in his run and his candidacy and been making a bigger deal of answering blm stuff. The one issue candidacy barb really hurt him.

Per nate silver Clinton is hitting her proportional targets to win and then some - by an average of +16 points, and doing better than projected everywhere save Colorado.

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yep. That firewall turned into a bulldozer. Given that Clinton is otherwise splitting the rest of the demographics it seems like the black vote is really going to take her to victory.

I'm really curious what Sanders could have done to fight it; probably would have had to shown a lot more outreach earlier in his run and his candidacy and been making a bigger deal of answering blm stuff. The one issue candidacy barb really hurt him.

Honestly, I think it may just have been that Hillary Clinton is broadly popular within the party. I was looking the exit polling for today, and I saw that Clinton won men, women, blacks, Hispanics--the only demographic she lost was the under-30 crowd. That's the sign of a nominee.

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Black people in america (in general obviously) aren't big on the whole "class issues first" thing, love the Clintons and love Obama (who's leg Clinton is humping and whom Sanders is not). I mean, Sanders has Cornel West stumping for him.

I don't know if he could have done alot to win that fight without changing his core message.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm worried about the success Cruz is 'enjoying'. It's not some great comeback, but I'm much more worried about the unwashed bible-thumpers giving him a chance in the General than I am of Trump's prospects.

I think of Kasich, Trump, Rubio and Cruz, Cruz is easily the least electable.  If he were the Republican nominee, I would feel a lot better than I do now.  I think he also might be an even worse president than Trump, which is saying something.  

1 minute ago, Triskan said:

It is getting hard to envision a scenario where Hillary Clinton is not the next POTUS.  How would it happen?

We discussed this in the previous thread. I can think of at least two plausible ways:

1) She is indicted over the emails.

2) There is one or more significant terrorist attacks sometime in the fall before the election.

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

There was nothing he could have done. His fatal mistake was in failing to acknowledge and act upon this fact -- he wasted both time and rhetoric pandering to minorites (BLM, Al Sharpton, etc.). What he should have done is reject BLM entirely and use rhetoric along the lines of that used by Martin Luther King Jr. (i.e. something a whole lot more inclusive than BLM, perhaps aiming at unnecessary use of force by the police in general).  He would almost certainly still lose the minority vote, but he could hardly lose by more and he might do better with everyone else.

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think of Kasich, Trump, Rubio and Cruz, Cruz is easily the least electable.  If he were the Republican nominee, I would feel a lot better than I do now.  I think he also might be an even worse president than Trump, which is saying something.  

I know that on an objective level, but the thought of having to watch that fucking creature during the general makes me feel physically uncomfortable. I'm not afraid of Trump, to be honest I enjoy seeing him win the primaries because I'm in the camp that believes he has zero shot in the general and represents a .01 % chance to actually kill the Republican party by running.

But, however, do not mistake me saying 'I enjoy seeing him win primaries' as any type of approval for the man or the idiotic, racist, sexist, and generally terrible things that come out of his mouth. He's disgusting, and the support he's gotten is even more disgusting. I'm just not afraid of him.

4 minutes ago, Bonesy said:

Full Rove? You'll have to explain that one to me.

Whatever. Clinton won a bunch of red states with 35 states to go including CA, NY, PA, IL, OH, FL, etc. and y'all writing Obituaries for Sanders.

I don't see why the fact that they are "red states" matters. Their democratic voters still get a say in the primary.

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

We discussed this in the previous thread. I can think of at least two plausible ways:

1) She is indicted over the emails.

2) There is one or more significant terrorist attacks sometime in the fall before the election.

There was nothing he could have done. His fatal mistake was in failing to acknowledge and act upon this fact -- he wasted both time and rhetoric pandering to minorites (BLM, Al Sharpton, etc.). What he should have done is reject BLM entirely and use rhetoric along the lines of that used by Martin Luther King Jr. (i.e. something a whole lot more inclusive than BLM, perhaps aiming at unnecessary use of force by the police in general).  He would almost certainly still lose the minority vote, but he could hardly lose by more and he might do better with everyone else.

Because the word 'significant' is subjective, 2 will almost certainly happen. I'm a bit uncomfortable with how fluently addressing minority concerns is labelled 'pandering' as opposed to addressing or w/e.

Bonesy, re Full Rove, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLV7nqD3CA

Archived