US Election: I could never get the hang of Tuesdays

Kalbear

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I know that on an objective level, but the thought of having to watch that fucking creature during the general makes me feel physically uncomfortable. I'm not afraid of Trump, to be honest I enjoy seeing him win the primaries because I'm in the camp that believes he has zero shot in the general and represents a .01 % chance to actually kill the Republican party by running.

But, however, do not mistake me saying 'I enjoy seeing him win primaries' as any type of approval for the man or the idiotic, racist, sexist, and generally terrible things that come out of his mouth. He's disgusting, and the support he's gotten is even more disgusting. I'm just not afraid of him.

I'm still pro-"watch Trump burn this mother down" when it comes to the GOP primary.

39 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Sanders also hasn't practiced law for something like 30 years. Bad choice. HHS - and an expanded one - would be really interesting though.

Sanders has never practiced law.

And I hope he would refuse to serve in a Clinton administration in any capacity.

So Rubio did actually win Minnesota. This is also the only state so far where Trump has finished third. Unfortunately for Rubio and Cruz, it is also a state where the delegates are divided more proportionally than in most of the others so it doesn't help them very much.

9 minutes ago, Bonesy said:

Full Rove? You'll have to explain that one to me.

Whatever. Clinton won a bunch of red states with 35 states to go including CA, NY, PA, IL, OH, FL, etc. and y'all writing Obituaries for Sanders.

Ha, I just saw you on fb crowing about Bernie's win in Oklahoma, a state that hasn't voted Democrat in more than 50 years. Either red states don't matter or they do. You can't have it both ways. 

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

So Rubio did actually win Minnesota. This is also the only state so far where Trump has finished third. Unfortunately for Rubio and Cruz, it is also a state where the delegates are divided more proportionally than in most of the others so it doesn't help them very much.

That's been a predicted problem for this whole "beat Trump" thing. The states he may do badly in are proportional and the ones he does well in are frequently not apparently.

Plus there's many with a "below 20% means you get no delegates at all" threshold.

6 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I had to pull up my results tracker to confirm. Does Rubio have some tie to Minn I don't know about? He didn't just win, he fucking obliterated!

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I had to pull up my results tracker to confirm. Does Rubio have some tie to Minn I don't know about? He didn't just win, he fucking obliterated!

We're really polite up here?

1 minute ago, Guy Kilmore said:

We're really polite up here?

And apparently quite charitable. I wouldn't have been surprised to see him win my state, since his personality software has enough bugs that I expect it runs off Windows 8, but Minn. is kinda out of the blue to me.

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I have to agree. Given that, if he doesn't win the nomination, he's bound to have a much more powerful voice in the Senate, and I'd rather him use that voice as a check against military adventurism, and join with Warren to try and prevent Clinton from pivoting to the right on economic issues.

Christ, I wish Warren had run this year. Clinton likely would have been toast.

Completely agree on Warren, I wonder if she's kicking herself.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/03/01/did-bill-clinton-violate-election-rules-mass/5octlX1d28GwmN3kitiECK/story.html

Bill Clinton’s presence inside a polling location in Boston on Super Tuesday has raised concerns about whether the former president violated state rules on Election Day campaigning.

While stumping for his wife, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton entered a polling station at the Holy Name Parish School’s gymnasium in West Roxbury early Tuesday. It was there that he spoke with workers, bought a cup of coffee, and apparently took a photo with one woman, according to press pool reports.

Looking forward to 4 more years of this kind of stuff.

5 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Christ, I wish Warren had run this year. Clinton likely would have been toast.

I was gonna say that it's probably a bonus big-picture, but a quick fact check reveals she's a lot older than I thought she was. For whatever reason, I thought she was 58-60ish. Assuming a double Clinton presidency, she'll face the same 'too old' accusations as Bernie and McCain. :(

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

And apparently quite charitable. I wouldn't have been surprised to see him win my state, since his personality software has enough bugs that I expect it runs off Windows 8, but Minn. is kinda out of the blue to me.

Hey, it's cold up here, nothing runs well.

6 minutes ago, Bonesy said:

Crowing? WTF?

It ALL matters. Including the other 35 states.

As for the red states, obviously important in the primary. Not very in the general, which speaks to the whole "electability" issue.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything anyone is talking about here then. What does electability have to do with the results of tonight?

The fact that they are "red states" (Ma is a red state now?) does not seem relevant to anything here except in trying to act like their votes don't matter to try and mitigate Sanders losses there. It doesn't even seem relevant to what you are now saying.

So far 15 states, 1 territory and 1 ... are the only ones to have voted, but the trends they indicate and the lead they generate for Clinton heavily tilts the potential for the rest of the race in her favour.

8 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

Completely agree on Warren, I wonder if she's kicking herself.

I don't see why she'd have done better then Sanders is and frankly, she's better off in the Senate where she can get more done and push her key issues better.

Warren has never struck me as a great campaigner whereas Sanders has impressed me.

12 minutes ago, Bonesy said:

Crowing? WTF?

It ALL matters. Including the other 35 states.

As for the red states, obviously important in the primary. Not very in the general, which speaks to the whole "electability" issue.

Well then I'm confused as to why you chose to qualify Clinton's wins as "red states", as if they didn't really matter, as if their being "red" somehow makes winning (or losing) them less important. If that's what you believe, fine. But if that truly is what you believe then you have to also apply that reasoning to Bernie's win in Oklahoma. 

Archived