Wow, I Never Noticed That, v. 14

Isobel Harper

6 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Did Wylis even know?

And it weren't the Frey's who made him eat human flesh, but Gregor. Wyman would be punishing people who had nothing to with the incident...

Jaime considers asking the captives if they knew what they were eating, then decides it's better not to.  It's not entirely certain if they knew.  News of Vargo Hoat eating himself is quite a rumor though, an event heard of in the books way before Jaime arrives at Harrenhal.  If news of what Wylis ate didn't get to him, it most likely got to at least Wyman.

Frey, Bolton, and Lannister are all connected.  Frey and Bolton schemed with Lannister to betray the Starks.  Freys hold Riverrun and Bolton hold Winterfell via the Lannisters.  Frey or Lannister, it doesn't matter.

20 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Jaime considers asking the captives if they knew what they were eating, then decides it's better not to.  It's not entirely certain if they knew.  News of Vargo Hoat eating himself is quite a rumor though, an event heard of in the books way before Jaime arrives at Harrenhal.  If news of what Wylis ate didn't get to him, it most likely got to at least Wyman.

Frey, Bolton, and Lannister are all connected.  Frey and Bolton schemed with Lannister to betray the Starks.  Freys hold Riverrun and Bolton hold Winterfell via the Lannisters.  Frey or Lannister, it doesn't matter.

I agree. From Wyman's perspective Freys had allied with Lannister and Clegane. And I would imagine Wylis did know, since part of the pleasure from tormenting him for Clegane's men would have come from telling him so. 

9 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Both Aurane Waters and Petyr Baelish have grey-green eyes and I think they are the only two characters with that eye color. Coincidence or connection?

There is one other character with grey-green eyes: Rohanne Webber.  Dunk dreams of her in TSS: Her eyes were gray and green and full of mischief

Both Aurane and Baelish are described as "sly" as well.  Both men ultimately plan to betray the queen.  Perhaps GRRM wants us to view Aurane as a sort of LF 2.0 in the making? 

"I've angered you, my lady. That was never my intent." He looked contrite. The look brought back vivid memories for Catelyn. He had been a sly child, but after his mischiefs he always looked contrite; it was a gift he had. AGoT, Catelyn IV

He eyed Ned with a smile on his lips that bordered on insolence. "I have hoped to meet you for some years, Lord Stark. No doubt Lady Catelyn has mentioned me to you."

"She has," Ned replied with a chill in his voice. The sly arrogance of the comment rankled him.  AGoT, Eddard IV

When Tyrion shrugged, Littlefinger burst into laughter. "I thought not. You're a dangerous little man, Lannister. Yes, I could sing this song to Lysa." Again the sly smile, the mischief in his glance.  ACoK, Tyrion IV

"What do you want, Petyr?"  Littlefinger glanced at Tyrion with a sly smile.  ACoK, Tyrion VIII

"Your Grace is kind," said Waters with a smile. A wicked smile, the queen thought. Aurane did not resemble Prince Rhaegar as much as she had thought. He has the hair, but so do half the whores in Lys, if the tales are true. Rhaegar was a man. This is a sly boy, no more.  AFfC, Cersei VIII

In regards to Lady Webber, Aurane and her also share a dimpled chin in addition to the eye color.  Perhaps these two could be related?

8 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

:eek:  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

There is one other character with grey-green eyes: Rohanne Webber.  Dunk dreams of her in TSS: Her eyes were gray and green and full of mischief

Both Aurane and Baelish are described as "sly" as well.  Both men ultimately plan to betray the queen.  Perhaps GRRM wants us to view Aurane as a sort of LF 2.0 in the making? 

"I've angered you, my lady. That was never my intent." He looked contrite. The look brought back vivid memories for Catelyn. He had been a sly child, but after his mischiefs he always looked contrite; it was a gift he had. AGoT, Catelyn IV

He eyed Ned with a smile on his lips that bordered on insolence. "I have hoped to meet you for some years, Lord Stark. No doubt Lady Catelyn has mentioned me to you."

"She has," Ned replied with a chill in his voice. The sly arrogance of the comment rankled him.  AGoT, Eddard IV

When Tyrion shrugged, Littlefinger burst into laughter. "I thought not. You're a dangerous little man, Lannister. Yes, I could sing this song to Lysa." Again the sly smile, the mischief in his glance.  ACoK, Tyrion IV

"What do you want, Petyr?"  Littlefinger glanced at Tyrion with a sly smile.  ACoK, Tyrion VIII

"Your Grace is kind," said Waters with a smile. A wicked smile, the queen thought. Aurane did not resemble Prince Rhaegar as much as she had thought. He has the hair, but so do half the whores in Lys, if the tales are true. Rhaegar was a man. This is a sly boy, no more.  AFfC, Cersei VIII

In regards to Lady Webber, Aurane and her also share a dimpled chin in addition to the eye color.  Perhaps these two could be related?

I don't think that it is likely that Aurane and Rohanne are related, but if that is the case, that would mean Cersei and Aurane are related, too..

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I don't think that it is likely that Aurane and Rohanne are related, but if that is the case, that would mean Cersei and Aurane are related, too..

True, I've considered that.  If Aurane is a descendant of Rohanne, I would assume his ancestor(s) were issue she had after her disappearance, leaving neither aware of their relation.  Otherwise, the relation would likely be mentioned.

On a similar note, if Betha and Melantha Blackwood were sisters, as some theories propose, Rickard Stark and Aerys Targaryen were second cousins.  This is never mentioned, although perhaps relation through the female line is usually ignored in a patriarchal society.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

Just realized that Selyse is probably derived from Selene, which means "moon" in Greek.  As often as the moon alludes to women or a maiden in the series, I would assume that was intentional.

18 minutes ago, Seams said:

Widow's Wail is the name of a flower

Selyse  might refer to the cilice, a spiked strap that penitents and monks would sometimes wear under their clothes to cause pain to themselves.  Mother Teresa wore one after she started to lose her faith to help her understand suffering, it was also often worn by Jesuits.  GRRM, as a lapsed Catholic, would be aware of them, and it could be a reference to the suffering Stannis endures by staying married to her.

Not sure why my post automatically quoted Seams as well, I can't make it go away.

The king plunged into the fire with his teeth clenched, holding the leather cloak before him to keep off the flames. He went straight to the Mother, grasped the sword with his gloved hand, and wrenched it free of the burning wood with a single hard jerk. Then he was retreating, the sword held high, jade-green flames swirling around cherry-red steel. Guards rushed to beat out the cinders that clung to the king’s clothing.

Clash 10

“My master always scolded him about his flaming swords. It was no way to treat good steel, he’d say, but this Thoros never used good steel. He’d just dip some cheap sword in wildfire and set it alight. It was only an alchemist’s trick, my master said, but it scared the horses and some of the greener knights.”

Storm 22

I think this relates to Lyanna and Rhaegar...

My featherbed is deep and soft, and there I’ll lay you down, I’ll dress you all in yellow silk, and on your head a crown. For you shall be my lady love, and I shall be your lord. I'll always keep you warm and safe, and guard you with my sword. 

And how she smiled and how she laughed, the maiden of the tree. She spun away and said to him, no featherbed for me. I’ll wear a gown of golden leaves, and bind my hair with grass, But you can be my forest love, and me your forest lass.

Storm 22

11 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think this relates to Lyanna and Rhaegar...

Storm 22

And so think I. The maiden of the tree links our thought or reminiscence to the Knight of the Laughing Tree, the forest love, and me your forest lass passage refers to the notion that R+L might not have come together out of political necessity but favors the Idea of a loving relation. Combining tree and leaves and forest even twice starts off the curious notion if this either was a wild marriage (i.e. not a legal one) or one in the forest (a legal one in the Northern and also wildling tradition), a thought that quite a few R+L=J subscribers ponder upon.

Whoa... these are just words, right? 

Dany gave the silver over to the slaves for grooming and entered her tent. It was cool and dim beneath the silk. As she let the door flap close behind her, Dany saw a finger of dusty red light reach out to touch her dragon's eggs across the tent. For an instant a thousand droplets of scarlet flame swam before her eyes. She blinked, and they were gone.

Daenerys III, Game 23

"A eunuch who is cut young will never have the brute strength of one of your Westerosi knights, this is true," said Kraznys mo Nakloz when the question was put to him. "A bull is strong as well, but bulls die every day in the fighting pits. A girl of nine killed one not three days past in Jothiel's Pit. The Unsullied have something better than strength, tell her. They have discipline. We fight in the fashion of the Old Empire, yes. They are the lockstep legions of Old Ghis come again, absolutely obedient, absolutely loyal, and utterly without fear."

Daenerys II, Storm 23

Do you suppose there was anything else to this? (Arya was already ten by this time.)

Tommen and Myrcella appear to have a good relationship in AGoT and ACoK.  Tommen even weeps when his sister sails away to Dorne.  However, when asked what to name the new dromonds in AFfC:

Brave Joffrey, Lady Joanna, and Lioness would follow her to sea, along with Queen Margaery, Golden Rose, Lord Renly, Lady Olenna, and Princess Myrcella. The queen had made the mistake of telling Tommen he might name the last five. He had actually chosen Moon Boy for one. Only when Lord Aurane suggested that men might not want to serve on a ship named for a fool had the boy reluctantly agreed to honor his sister instead.

Who has been turning Tommen against his sister?  The Tyrells?

9 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Tommen and Myrcella appear to have a good relationship in AGoT and ACoK.  Tommen even weeps when his sister sails away to Dorne.  However, when asked what to name the new dromonds in AFfC:

Brave Joffrey, Lady Joanna, and Lioness would follow her to sea, along with Queen Margaery, Golden Rose, Lord Renly, Lady Olenna, and Princess Myrcella. The queen had made the mistake of telling Tommen he might name the last five. He had actually chosen Moon Boy for one. Only when Lord Aurane suggested that men might not want to serve on a ship named for a fool had the boy reluctantly agreed to honor his sister instead.

Who has been turning Tommen against his sister?  The Tyrells?

Perhaps no one. Perhaps this is simply a case of 'out of sight, out of mind'? Recall that in Clash, after Myrcella has left and Tommen has been taken from the city, he frequently starts letters to his sister, bit never finishes any of them. That might have been the start, and the Tyrells were nowhere near Tommen at that point.

"A good commander knows his men, Tyrion. Some are good for one job, some for another. Doing for a babe, and her still on the tit, that takes a certain sort. Not every man'd do it. Even if it was only some whore and her whelp."

Tyrion II, Clash 8

A handpicked cadre of men raced to the Red Keep to storm its walls and seek out King Aerys, so that justice might be done.

The World of Ice and Fire

Some said it had been Gregor who'd dashed the skull of the infant prince Aegon Targaryen against a wall, and whispered that afterward he had raped the mother, the Dornish princess Elia, before putting her to the sword.

Eddard VII, Game 30

“Ser Amory was almost as bestial with Rhaenys. I asked him afterward why it had required half a hundred thrusts to kill a girl of . . . two? Three? He said she'd kicked him and would not stop screaming.”

Tyrion VI, Storm 53

"To win his spiked cap, an Unsullied must go to the slave marts with a silver mark, find some wailing newborn, and kill it before its mother's eyes. In this way, we make certain that there is no weakness left in them."

Daenerys II, Storm 23

So, are Grey Worm and the rest of Daenerys’s Unsullied the same sort as Gregor, Amory and Allar?

Tyrion's reaction to Allar's action was to have him murdered. 

10 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Perhaps no one. Perhaps this is simply a case of 'out of sight, out of mind'? Recall that in Clash, after Myrcella has left and Tommen has been taken from the city, he frequently starts letters to his sister, bit never finishes any of them. That might have been the start, and the Tyrells were nowhere near Tommen at that point.

I had forgotten about the unwritten letters.  Still, Tommen didn't just forget to use his sister's name, he was reluctant.

10 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Tyrion II, Clash 8

The World of Ice and Fire

Eddard VII, Game 30

Tyrion VI, Storm 53

Daenerys II, Storm 23

So, are Grey Worm and the rest of Daenerys’s Unsullied the same sort as Gregor, Amory and Allar?

Tyrion's reaction to Allar's action was to have him murdered. 

That was before the Unsullied were freed. They have changed much since then, and I can't imagine them acting in that way at all.

53 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

I had forgotten about the unwritten letters.  Still, Tommen didn't just forget to use his sister's name, he was reluctant.

I think you are reading too much into it. I do t have any siblings, but I have a cousin who was practically a brother when I was growing up (same age as me). We were very close and I loved him, obviously, but when it came to openly acknowledging it, or sharing something with him, or anything like that, there was no chance. Family, especially kids, are petty like that. 

Archived