TTTNE 463 - A Thread for Craziness

RhaenysBee

16 hours ago, BB-Rhae said:

You know sweet Fanny Adams, Jon Snow...

Is there any other nationality in the world that puts cottage cheese and sour cream on noodles and then sprinkles icing sugar on top? :( 

:lol:

Well, that sure is not done here, it is the first time I hear of it.

But I made pizza yesteday.

And then was in the cinema with a friend. Suffragette is a good movie.

3 hours ago, felice said:

Does Daredevil season 2 have any spoilers for Jessica Jones? I'm watching the latter with my partner, but for various reasons it's slow going, and I want to stay out of the relevant threads. They isn't interested in Daredevil, so that I'll be watching myself.

I'm only up to episode five, and so far I've only noticed one...not even a spoiler really. More of a nod to it, one of the characters in Daredevil mentions (not by name either) a character from Jessica Jones that they meet towards the last couple of episodes of JJ. It would probably pass you by if you hadn't watched Jessica Jones. That was in episode 3. 

So I would say you can safely start it :) I'm enjoying iit more than season one for what that matters

Eta; ok there was a more explicit mention of JJ in episode 5. Not really spoilery but sje is specifically named

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

:lol:

Well, that sure is not done here, it is the first time I hear of it.

But I made pizza yesteday.

And then was in the cinema with a friend. Suffragette is a good movie.

I thought so. I have no idea why we insult those ingredients like that...

pizza is good. 

I want to see Allegiant, just need to find someone to come with me. And a time we are both free. And a place where the movie is on at that time. Ah, it's more difficult to see a movie than it should be :lol: 

Just to add my voice to the growing chorus exhorting people to go see Zootopia (Zootropolis in Europe). Go. It's brilliant. It can comfortably stand toe-to-toe with anything Disney has ever made and I'm prepared to say it's the most technically stunning digital animation ever made.

3 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

Just to add my voice to the growing chorus exhorting people to go see Zootopia (Zootropolis in Europe). Go. It's brilliant. It can comfortably stand toe-to-toe with anything Disney has ever made and I'm prepared to say it's the most technically stunning digital animation ever made.

I saw the advert for this back when I first saw TFA. I think it was the bit with the sloths in the office? Looked pretty good, but I hadn't realised it was out here yet

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

I saw the advert for this back when I first saw TFA. I think it was the bit with the sloths in the office? Looked pretty good, but I hadn't realised it was out here yet

Previews this weekend. Full release is Friday I think. Go see it, you'll love it!

1 hour ago, ab aeterno said:

We saw this on my birthday and I loved it! It was so good - the humor was great without all the stupid fart/toilet jokes that are almost always in kids movies for kids to laugh at. 

I want to see it again at some point in the theatre. 

i thought it was better than Frozen :uhoh:

:leaving: 

1 hour ago, Lady Olenna said:

We saw this on my birthday and I loved it! It was so good - the humor was great without all the stupid fart/toilet jokes that are almost always in kids movies for kids to laugh at. 

This is good news. God bless the writers. I always found kids movies humor absolutely horrible. 

Frozen was quite a let down to be honest. 

Sister seems to be willing to watch Allegiant with me. Of course this is no guarantee at all. She is known to change her mind ten minutes before a fixed commitment. 

Her memory is full. I suggested deleting a couple hundred selfies... 

People who dislike Frozen are bad people. It's a scientific fact.

1 hour ago, Lady Olenna said:

I don't tend to compare the musicals and the non-musicals like-for-like, because the focus is different. A great musical doesn't need a great story, whereas a non-musical does. I'd put Zootopia up there with any of the top non-musicals, whereas I'd put Frozen up there with the top musicals - The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, etc. Frozen probably sits just behind those two for me.

26 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

People who dislike Frozen are bad people. It's a scientific fact.

I don't tend to compare the musicals and the non-musicals like-for-like, because the focus is different. A great musical doesn't need a great story, whereas a non-musical does. I'd put Zootopia up there with any of the top non-musicals, whereas I'd put Frozen up there with the top musicals - The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, etc. Frozen probably sits just behind those two for me.

It's not that I disliked it, it just failed to exceed my expectations. I guess they were way too high due to the hype around Frozen. And I would actaully put Frozen in the Disney princess category rather than Disney musical, but then it's not the easiest to determine what counts as a princess movie and what doesn't. :dunno: In any case, Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas > Frozen, Tangled, Aladdin, Cinderella, Hercules > Princess and the Frog, Mulan > Brave. 

On ‎18‎-‎3‎-‎2016 at 10:01 PM, BB-Rhae said:

I dont know anybody who repeated a year, but as I said, it was absolutely unthinkable to repeat a year at my school. 

40 is like nothing, you are great! 

Let us know how you liked it, I thought it was horrible :leaving: 

I know tons of people who have had to repeat a year, it's not unusual here.

:blushing: You wouldn't say that if you knew how many of hours I was actually paying attention :P 

I wouldn't say horrible, but I judge these kinds of movies differently from others, far less critically. I'd say 6/10, acting and action were good but I have the same issues with it that I have with the book, so it's more of a writing issue. Far from a great movie but enjoyable enough.

On ‎18‎-‎3‎-‎2016 at 11:14 PM, Buckwheat said:

Wait ... if you approximately have 30 classes per week ... to get to 250, you would need to be missing months. :eek: Did you get those missing classes also for when you just missed the first two minutes? Our teacher sometimes did that. :rolleyes: You would be two minutes late because the school toilets were always busy and you stood in line there, came to class just a moment after the professor noted who was missing, and got a whole inexcusable hour as missing, although you were actually there.

We got a boy who repeated fourth grade - that is at the age of 10/11 into our class. So it happens.

I have not seen Mockingjay 2. But I am going to the cinema tomorrow to see The Suffragette, that should be interesting.

Many months, yeah, and I know more than one person who has managed to pull that off.
I've had such teachers too, they seem to be way less strict this year though.

I could name at least twenty people who had to repeat class from the top of my head alone, so I guess it's more common here than over at your end.

5 hours ago, BB-Rhae said:

I want to see Allegiant, just need to find someone to come with me. And a time we are both free. And a place where the movie is on at that time. Ah, it's more difficult to see a movie than it should be :lol: 

And expensive. Yesterday's tickets were 6,10 euros each! It is cheaper in smaller artsy cinemas, but none other cinema had the same movie.

It is apparently quite unpopular. :( I think there were 12 people in the whole theatre.

1 hour ago, BB-Rhae said:

It's not that I disliked it, it just failed to exceed my expectations. I guess they were way too high due to the hype around Frozen. And I would actaully put Frozen in the Disney princess category rather than Disney musical, but then it's not the easiest to determine what counts as a princess movie and what doesn't. :dunno: In any case, Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas > Frozen, Tangled, Aladdin, Cinderella, Hercules > Princess and the Frog, Mulan > Brave. 

Why cannot it be both a princess movie and a musical? :) There are princesses -> princess movie. There is singing -> musical. Voil`a. ;)

And what what what is this order? Why is Mulan down there? Mulan is awesome.

I will never get why Beauty and the Beast is supposed to be so good, tbh.

And Hercules should not even be on that list, now that is something that is not a princess movie!

28 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

And expensive. Yesterday's tickets were 6,10 euros each! It is cheaper in smaller artsy cinemas, but none other cinema had the same movie.

It is apparently quite unpopular. :( I think there were 12 people in the whole theatre.

Why cannot it be both a princess movie and a musical? :) There are princesses -> princess movie. There is singing -> musical. Voil`a. ;)

And Hercules should not even be on that list, now that is something that is not a princess movie!

Beauty and the Beast is so highly regarded largely because the it pioneered mixing hand-drawn and computer generated 3D animation, because the songs are really brilliantly written, and because at the time it was probably Disney's most progressive movie. It's hard to find too much fault with it, IMO.

I believe it's also the only animated movie ever to get a Best Picture Oscar nomination.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Err... *converts* yup, that's expensive. Multiplex movie tickets retail at €4-5 here. For students. For adults I guess it's double? Not sure. 

It can obviously be both. That's just how Disney movies are classified in my head for some reason. Distinction by being a musical or not is just as good. 

I didn't like Mulan :(:dunno: as for beauty and the beast, Gotta love Lumiere and the clock, gotta laugh at Gaston and gotta love how love tames the beast. *.* 

yup, Hercules and Aladdin are both somewhat off that list. Since Aladdin is about Aladdin rather than Jasmine and the same goes for Hercules and Megara. 

2 hours ago, First of My Name said:

I know tons of people who have had to repeat a year, it's not unusual here.

:blushing: You wouldn't say that if you knew how many of hours I was actually paying attention :P 

I wouldn't say horrible, but I judge these kinds of movies differently from others, far less critically. I'd say 6/10, acting and action were good but I have the same issues with it that I have with the book, so it's more of a writing issue. Far from a great movie but enjoyable [...accidentally deleted...] 

We are all guilty of not paying attention from time to time :D 

I thought it was boring but bearable as a movie and an absolute letdown as a finale of a great trilogy. But yeah, you are right, these adaptations can't be judged too harshly and the standard shouldn't be the book version. Compared to Mockingjay 1 it was actually a little bit better. 

1 hour ago, ab aeterno said:

Beauty and the Beast is so highly regarded largely because the it pioneered mixing hand-drawn and computer generated 3D animation, because the songs are really brilliantly written, and because at the time it was probably Disney's most progressive movie. It's hard to find too much fault with it, IMO.

I believe it's also the only animated movie ever to get a Best Picture Oscar nomination.

Progressive. Right. Lets just leave it there.

For me, it is on the same level as most 90s cartoons, so :dunno:

6 minutes ago, BB-Rhae said:

Err... *converts* yup, that's expensive. Multiplex movie tickets retail at €4-5 here. For students. For adults I guess it's double? Not sure. 

It can obviously be both. That's just how Disney movies are classified in my head for some reason. Distinction by being a musical or not is just as good. 

I didn't like Mulan :(:dunno: as for beauty and the beast, Gotta love Lumiere and the clock, gotta laugh at Gaston and gotta love how love tames the beast. *.* 

yup, Hercules and Aladdin are both somewhat off that list. Since Aladdin is about Aladdin rather than Jasmine and the same goes for Hercules and Megara.

It is cheaper for students here too, to be fair ... only the student reduction is not valid during the weekends. Go figure. :angry: Ah well. I paid both tickets yesterday. The friend paid for tea and cake/muffin afterwards. ;)

I love Mulan. To be fair, it is probably the only Disney movie I watched while age-appropriate. And she is so strong and does stuff and goes to battle and disguises herself as a man - what is not to like? :P

Oh, Aladdin too, did not see it there. I suppose Hercules stood out because I hated it.

17 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Progressive. Right. Lets just leave it there.

For me, it is on the same level as most 90s cartoons, so :dunno:

It is cheaper for students here too, to be fair ... only the student reduction is not valid during the weekends. Go figure. :angry: Ah well. I paid both tickets yesterday. The friend paid for tea and cake/muffin afterwards. ;)

I love Mulan. To be fair, it is probably the only Disney movie I watched while age-appropriate. And she is so strong and does stuff and goes to battle and disguises herself as a man - what is not to like? :P

Oh, Aladdin too, did not see it there. I suppose Hercules stood out because I hated it.

Oh but why? It's not like students have all the time during weekdays to go to the movies. :dunno: 

We usually do the same with friends. One person pays for the tickets the other for the food. I usually pay for the food, because I eat all the junk during movies and it's only fair to not make the other person pay for that. :lol: 

I always thought dressing as a man and going to battle was quite stupid and dangerous  :blush::leaving: I didn't get why anybody would want to do that when they could be a princess. And I was a 9-10 yo girl and all I wanted to be was a princess. (In fact You could totally say that all I want to be now is still a princess :lol: ) On the other hand, I did love Xena and Veronica (in Lost World) so I'm not sure why I disliked Mulan. The one thing I liked about that movie was the portrayal of the Huns. They even had red eyes! :rofl: pure evil. It's so funny. (Compared to my history books in which they are portrayed as the heroic past)

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm only up to episode five, and so far I've only noticed one...not even a spoiler really. More of a nod to it

Thanks, just what I wanted to know 8)

21 minutes ago, BB-Rhae said:

Oh but why? It's not like students have all the time during weekdays to go to the movies. :dunno: 

That is capitalism for you ... they will charge more when they can. :angry:

21 minutes ago, BB-Rhae said:

We usually do the same with friends. One person pays for the tickets the other for the food. I usually pay for the food, because I eat all the junk during movies and it's only fair to not make the other person pay for that. :lol: 

I always thought dressing as a man and going to battle was quite stupid and dangerous  :blush::leaving: I didn't get why anybody would want to do that when they could be a princess. And I was a 9-10 yo girl and all I wanted to be was a princess. (In fact You could totally say that all I want to be now is still a princess :lol: ) On the other hand, I did love Xena in and Veronica (in Lost World) so I'm not sure why I disliked Mulan. The one thing I liked about that movie was the portrayal of the Huns. They even had red eyes! :rofl: pure evil. It's so funny. (Compared to my history books in which they are portrayed as the heroic past)

Oh, nobody said it was not stupid or dangerous, but it is entertaining to watch. ;) And she was not even a princess, she was just supposed to be married off to somebody. About a princess ... if I could be a princess-turning-into-a-queen who can turn everything to ice like Elsa, sign me up. But if that means cleaning and cooking for seven dwarves, or falling asleep for 100 years only to wake up in time for getting married, then thanks, but no thanks. :P At least that is how I feel about it now, but I do not remember how I felt about it at 9-10.

Ohhhh Huns are heroes in your history books! That is good to know. *nods*

1 hour ago, felice said:

Thanks, just what I wanted to know 8)

I asked in the spoiler thread for you too and apparently there is only one other instance, in which a character from JJ makes an appearance. But that is apparently in the final episode, and again non-spoiler-y

Archived