US Elections: Children of the Revolution

Myshkin

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I actually think it is worse than that.  Heidi Cruz is the most human thing about Ted Cruz.  She's incredibly accomplished (more so than he is IMO), and you walk away after reading about her that there must be something you are overlooking about him if she has stuck with him all of these years.  She has also been pretty open about her struggles with depression.  You then turn him into someone who would betray this amazing person like that and you realize that, if true, that she is probably the one with a blind spot about him. . . .

Thanks for the information.  I had no idea. (haven't cared enough to look, really)

I read the "Spill the beans" article about her...and it was "she worked for Bush" and "she worked for GS"  I really didn't understand how her either automatically made her a bad person (or as the article said "against everything Cruz believes in").  I like that she is a career woman. to me that is a plus in the spouse, not a minus.

One day someone is going to say how I was so liberal and anti Wall Street and others will argue how I worked for a big bank (at least 3 separate times), so it must not be true.

22 minutes ago, jarl the climber said:

IDK on a tactical level I think Trump has done some things that political strategists will take a hard look at. Contrary to popular opinion Trump does have some sort of ground game, he has friends in the hospitality industry, the trade industries and stuff like that and he seems to have managed this much more efficiently and quietly then his opponents. I also think that centralizing his operation and running it out of his flying HQ has worked very well, its a shame that his shortcomings as a candidate have taken away from the excellent job his outfit is doing on an administrative level. People have complained about the free press coverage he has gotten but so much of its bad that its likely the main thing that has kept him from pulling away and running the table on his opponents. Also all this nasty stuff is turning off a lot of voters, I know its turning me off.

The president is the commander in chief, believe me military people get court martialed all the time for adultery, this will be an issue for him if its true, hookers or no hookers, ecspecially with the sort of voters he is trying to attract.

I agree with this. Also, his ability to run a campaign so cheaply, and have most of his expenses flow back into his businesses anyway, is deeply impressive. And whether he lucked it into or not, he's managed to figure out how to get $1.9 billion worth of free media attention. That itself is something I think will be studied for a long time; particularly if there's a way of getting it that doesn't involve destroying your approval rating among the general public.

Even if he gets crushed in the general election, I think there are things that can be learned from his campaign. Its the 'what' that's he's saying that'll get him crushed, but the 'how' he's saying it is something that other campaigns probably should take notes on.

12 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Strangeways said:

Thanks for the information.  I had no idea. (haven't cared enough to look, really)

I read the "Spill the beans" article about her...and it was "she worked for Bush" and "she worked for GS"  I really didn't understand how her either automatically made her a bad person (or as the article said "against everything Cruz believes in").  I like that she is a career woman. to me that is a plus in the spouse, not a minus.

One day someone is going to say how I was so liberal and anti Wall Street and others will argue how I worked for a big bank (at least 3 separate times), so it must not be true.

Yeah - she's got an amazing background.  Harvard MBA, plus a masters from a European institution, was the only woman in Houston office of Goldman Sachs doing what she did, etc., etc.  I think she is conservative-she has pretty deep street cred there- and is also pretty religious.  That will be enough for many to dismiss her entirely.  I don't think that is fair.  I have a lot of sympathy for her and their kids right now.  This is pretty awful, and if true, even in part, so much worse.

Fascinating Daily Beast article on the National Enquirer story

The truth behind the rumor-mongering, however, is a little more complex. A half-dozen GOP operatives and media figures tell The Daily Beast that Cruz’s opponents have been pushing charges of adultery for at least six months now—and that allies of former GOP presidential hopeful Marco Rubio were involved in spreading the smears.

For months and months, anti-Cruz operatives have pitched a variety of #CruzSexScandal stories to a host of prominent national publications, according to Republican operatives and media figures. The New York Times, The Washington Post, Bloomberg News, Politico, and ABC News—reporters at all those outlets heard some version of the Cruz-is-cheating story. None of them decided to run with rumors. Those publications’ representatives all declined to provide on-the-record comments when The Daily Beast reached out for this article.

Breitbart News, the notoriously Trump-friendly conservative outlet, was also pitched the story of Cruz’s extramarital affairs, according to a source close to the publication. That source said an operative allied with Marco Rubio—but not associated with his official campaign—showed the publication a compilation video of Cruz and a woman other than his wife coming out of the Capitol Grille restaurant and a hotel on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But the outlet opted not to report on the video, which demonstrated no direct evidence of an affair.

“We got it from a Rubio ally,” said the source. “It was too thin, so [Breitbart’s Washington political editor Matt Boyle] decided not to run it. There was no way to verify the claims.”

Lots of interesting tidbits in there. I guess the big question is whether that's still the only evidence and that either ex-Rubio people or Trump's people pushed the NE to run this, or whether the NE did some work on their own and found actual evidence.

I almost never venture north of the lit forum so I probably missed earlier discussions, but where does the idea come from that there are only minor differences between Sanders and Hillary on most issues? Senate vote records?

Of course as a European I'm looking at this from quite a remove but I don't see how you can call having voted for/against the Iraq war a minor difference. Treating it as a minor quibble not worth getting worked up about seems weird to me. Even if we exclude Iraq Clinton seems to fall solidly on the more bellicose side of the US political spectrum.

A second point would be Clinton's support for the increasingly transparent class warish "trade" treaties. Sure she expresses concern on the occasion of running for office but how believable is that? Especially since the main beneficiaries still hand her lots of money. That's also not something I could shrug off.

There’s no way out for Republicans: Paul Ryan’s anti-Trump speech shows exactly why the GOP’s future is so bleak
Ryan never mentioned Trump, but his target was obvious. Can he really endorse Trump after a speech like this?

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/26/theres_no_way_out_for_republicans_paul_ryans_anti_trump_speech_shows_exactly_why_the_gops_future_is_so_bleak/

24 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

There’s no way out for Republicans: Paul Ryan’s anti-Trump speech shows exactly why the GOP’s future is so bleak
Ryan never mentioned Trump, but his target was obvious. Can he really endorse Trump after a speech like this?

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/26/theres_no_way_out_for_republicans_paul_ryans_anti_trump_speech_shows_exactly_why_the_gops_future_is_so_bleak/

Given that Ryan still supports policies that benefit the wealthy at the expense of the poor, even though he apologizes for his previous makers-takers stance, I believe he can manage to endorse Trump no matter what he's saying right now.

Given that Ryan still supports policies that benefit the wealthy at the expense of the poor, even though he apologizes for his previous makers-takers stance, I believe he can manage to endorse Trump no matter what he's saying right now.

Yeah, sure he's capable of that, but then what do you do in 2018? Yeah we're sorry about supporting Trump and the whole rapist thing...*polite cough*

A conservative candidate third party run may be their only escape valve.

19 hours ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I am just surprised Ted Cruz has attractive women that will sleep with him, good for him.

Other than the hookers (if true) this should be a non-story.

While it may be strange to think of people who would willingly sleep with Ted Cruz, I think that we may be asking the wrong question here.

How many people would be willing to f*** Ted Cruz hard?

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

While it may be strange to think of people who would willingly sleep with Ted Cruz, I think that we may be asking the wrong question here.

How many people would be willing to f*** Ted Cruz hard?

Not too many, since it would involve physical contact. And there simply is not enough soap in the world.

There is a story that has been going around for a number of years that Trump raped his ex-wife Ivana.

I did not mean to reference that, actually. I didn't even know about that rumor. Sorry that I wasn't clearer.

I was meaning the Mexican rapists line. Very hard to sell Ryan's sunny optimistic Republican brand the closer you are to any such comments. In particular if you want to sell this brand to Latinos.

Archived