[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

12 minutes ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

:thumbsup:

I'm not surprised though. And I expect more reviews like that. The premiere episode is a rehash of stuff done before, just randomly rearranged. It's empty, automated, stale. Eventually that's what changing characterization willy-nilly, character reset and characters being pushed into "whatever makes creatively sense" rather than having characters be themselves, grow and deal with situations that fit their growth and change will get you. Before reviewers think it's just book snobs being pissed about not getting thier lines or particular plot point on screen, but it was a warning sign that D&D don't understand characterization, don't understand character growth and if you don't understand something you can't depict it well, and will keep making the same reset mistakes for no reason at all. And if you don't have characterization talent, then you can't truly make you audience connect with them. All you've got then to keep the audience interested are the shocks, tits and dragons. But after five seasons even those lose their shine and distraction power and you see the show for what it is... empty fo anything. Nothing is just nothing. Empty is just empty, no matter how many shiny jingling keys you try to wave at people.

Of course there are still reviews of this kind: http://www.indiewire.com/article/game-of-thrones-season-6-premiere-review-episode-1-spoilers-jon-snow-dead-got-20160424

One of the most striking aspects of "The Red Woman," the premiere episode of "Game of Thrones" Season 6, is that it's funny. And it's funny in multiple ways, from turning a minor character's death at the hands of the Sand Snakes into a punchline, to Tyrion's attempts to connect with a beggar being skewed by mistranslations, to an extended Dothraki comedy bit about beautiful women. 

Yes, it was hilarious and comical to watch, but I'm pretty sure that was not what D&D were actually going for. The reviewer seems to believe D&D were being funny on purpose.

Or there's this one: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/game-thrones-season-6-premiere-886684

That one gives me the impression that the reviewer was much underwhelmed by the premiere episode and found it pretty boring... but then rationalizes it for themselves with "well, it's a first episode that has to show several characters and reactions of plots in one episode, so you can't expect it to be engaging really" (my tltr translation of that review) Or a very short tltr about the review "it's boring, because a premiere is bound to be boring anyway".

Hello, wake up, the emperor truly has no clothes! It wasn't supposed to be funny and it wasn't supposed to be boring, and yet it was.

A double bill would probably been a better choice. After all the hype it was a little flat.  Although Essos remained its boring self. I watched it impatiently thinking all the time get back to the wall! If I could crawl under rock for the next ten weeks to avoid spoilers I think binge watching this season would work story wise. But week to week? I think there is going to be a lot of flat and uneven episodes that will just exasperate the impatient viewer such as I.

D&d lack ambition as well i believe. With the first two seasons, they showed they are somewhat competetent and capable of making a quality show that stays true to core material while fitting the given format and bigger audience. I remember the red wedding episode post interview benioff stating something like   "this is what i was waiting for - I knew if i could film these scenes i can die happy" - initially they were pushing for only 7 seasons when hbo wanted 8, now they are pushing to make season7 only seven episodes and season8 only six episodes - and they have openly said they dont look at online comments - dont think they are interested in making the best show possible, they just wanted the attention & $$ and now they just want it to be done. it seeps straight through into every episode, and the quality worsens with time. Certain parts of the acting and visual elements are the only positives left

I am so glad Stannis is dead. I wish many more were as well. And I'm kind of looking forward to reading an interview with Siddig. I seem to remember he didn't pull any punches when talking about stuff they did to his character in DS9. 

This episode was horrible, everything was terrible apart from the unintentional comedy. And the dialogue was atrociously bad.

Mr Benioff and Mr Weiss are consistent in the sense that they never ever fail to disappoint. 

1 hour ago, Darknightz said:

Also love how they absolutely murder jaimes story arc - "all we have is us" - umm really this again? Wasnt he supposed to start getting interesting at this point?

Larry really delivered the line well, with force and conviction, I for one, was completely sold!

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

:thumbsup:

I'm not surprised though. And I expect more reviews like that. The premiere episode is a rehash of stuff done before, just randomly rearranged. It's empty, automated, stale. 

Speaking of rehashing old material, compare the dual scene in season 4 episode 3 "breaker of chains" outside the gates of meereen to the opening dual scene in the film troy (written by benioff) visually (almost frame for frame copy haha), with the music from the achilles vs. hector dual at the end of the film playing (congos).

also compare season 4 episode 6 "the laws of gods and men" hizdahr zo loraq's plea to dany "let me take his body down. Let me bring him to the temple..." With the scene in troy where king priam pleads to achilles "let me wash his body. Let me perform the rituals. Let me put two coins on his eyes for the boatman."

theres a clear history of rehashing and recycling material, and im sure there are more examples- whether because they are incapable of being creatively original or just too lazy, im not sure -- but the proof is there

4 minutes ago, Darknightz said:

Speaking of rehashing old material, compare the dual scene in season 4 episode 3 "breaker of chains" outside the gates of meereen to the opening dual scene in the film troy (written by benioff) visually (almost frame for frame copy haha), with the music from the achilles vs. hector dual at the end of the film playing (congos).

also compare season 4 episode 6 "the laws of gods and men" hizdahr zo loraq's plea to dany "let me take his body down. Let me bring him to the temple..." With the scene in troy where king priam pleads to achilles "let me wash his body. Let me perform the rituals. Let me put two coins on his eyes for the boatman."

theres a clear history of rehashing and recycling material, and im sure there are more examples- whether because they are incapable of being creatively original or just too lazy, im not sure -- but the proof is there

Well spotted, I agree in both instances.

16 minutes ago, Darknightz said:

I don't mind "homages" to other movies or stories and books. But it should be executed well and not be a bland dialogue in comparison to what is homaged. I guess Alliser's speech is a nod to Brutus' speech to defend why he and his rebels butchered Caesar. It's actually what I expect, since Jon's death is straight-up caesaring anyway. But the writing of that speech is not even witty or inspiring. It's just bleh. FFS I think I'm going to plug in a Rome DVD instead. You need an Anthony beside Brutus to make the crowd explode against that type of BS. And yes, the way D&D "homage" does not feel like homage much, but copy-paste-into-a-blender.

ETA: Peter O'Toole as Priam pleading for his son's body was the only good scene of Troy imho.

My ode to the Winterhell storyline, "empowerment", probable story arcs, etc, etc.

The Brienne Smash

I was standing in the forest late one wintry night

When my eyes beheld an empowering sight

For my knight, after her vows, began to rise

And suddenly to my surprise

She did the smash, she did the Brienne Smash.

The Brienne Smash, it was a boss ass bitch smash.

She did the smash, it caught on in a flash.

She did the smash, she did the Brienne Smash.

From my solar in Winterfell east

To the kennel where Ramsay's dogs used to feast

The Sand Snakes all came from their humble abodes

To get a jolt from my empowerment mode

They did the smash, they did the Brienne Smash

The Brienne Smash, it was a boss ass bitch smash.

They did the smash, it caught on in a flash

The Sand Snakes were having fun

The party had just begun

The guest included Ellaria

Tyene, and bad pussy appreciator Bronn.

The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds

I had minnie-needle, forgetting 'about the Hound.

Women on top were about to arrive

With their vocal group, "The Boss Ass Bitch Five"

The Brienne Smash, it was a boss ass bitch smash

They did the smash, it caught on in a flash

They did the smash, they did the Brienne Smash.

Out of the Riverlands, Jaime's voice did ring

Seems he was troubled by just one thing

Opened his mouth and shook his fist and said

"Whatever happened to my beloved Brienne?"

It's now the smash, it's now the Brienne Smash.

The Brienne Smash, and it's a boss ass bitch smash.

It's now the smash, it's caught on in a flash

It's now the smash, it's now the Brienne Smash

Now everything's cool, Jaime's in Carol's hands.

And the Brienne Smash is the hit of the land

For you, the book snob, the smash was meant too

When you get to my door, tell them D & D sent you

Then you can smash, then you can Brienne Smash

The Brienne Smash, and do my boss ass bitch smash

Then you can smash, you'll catch on in a flash

Then you can smash, then you can Brienne Smash.

24 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I don't mind "homages" to other movies or stories and books. But it should be executed well and not be a bland dialogue in comparison to what is homaged. I guess Alliser's speech is a nod to Brutus' speech to defend why he and his rebels butchered Caesar. It's actually what I expect, since Jon's death is straight-up caesaring anyway. But the writing of that speech is not even witty or inspiring. It's just bleh. FFS I think I'm going to plug in a Rome DVD instead. You need an Anthony beside Brutus to make the crowd explode against that type of BS. And yes, the way D&D "homage" does not feel like homage much, but copy-paste-into-a-blender.

ETA: Peter O'Toole as Priam pleading for his son's body was the only good scene of Troy imho.

Fully agreed - Haha still i would honestly rather watch troy every sunday night (or rome for that matter) than whatever these episodes have become

Another "meh" review: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/game-of-thrones-s06e01-review-the-red-woman-does-a-whole-lot-of-plot-set-up-a6999196.html

The last season of Game of Thrones didn’t so much end on a cliffhanger as a splat on the beach below. 

Tonight’s episode was expected to clear this up once and for all, but instead kicked the stone down the road a little.

Obligatory Jon Snow death check out the way, it wasn’t a hugely memorable episode, mostly being given over to setting up the playing field for the rest of the season.

Outside the Episode - yeah, I am doing THAT to myself. Mr Benioff is talking about Carol, and says, "It's been a rough couple of months for Cersei". 

So, Davos & co are in that room with Jon's rotting body for a couple of months?

Fansa and Theon have been on the run for a couple of months?

The Super Daario Bros are looking for Dany for a couple of months?

I can't even. 

Slant's review is a good one. On the whole, I generally tend to like their writing. The show is boring, one note, on colour at this point. How many seasons have we heard someone swear revenge? How much brutality and 'shocking' twists that barely seem developed have we been subjected to? How many broski banter, a limp way to mask dreary exposition retreading previous seasons, have we had? This time it was a double whammy of Tyrion/Varys and Jorah/Daario. 

It's surprising to see people still enthusiastic about Thrones. I'm honestly confused as to what they're even watching. 

Red Eye's review: http://www.redeyechicago.com/tv/redeye-game-of-thrones-season-6-episode-1-recap-20160424-story.html

In Season 6, "Game of Thrones" returns with the showrunners working without George R.R. Martin’s novels as source material. In some cases, that's a positive thing. Instead of Martin's tendency to continue sprawling outward, the season premiere mostly limited itself to characters we've already seen. But the first episode also lacked the audacity and season-defining outlook usually established with premieres under Martin's wing.

and

The season premiere served largely as a recap to what happened in last season's finale. Very little changed. Let's hope next week brings some bolder moves.

Then it goes on by simply telling what happens to every character in comparison to the chaos ladder - climbing up, staying put, going down... which is more of a recap, than a review.

10 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Red Eye's review: http://www.redeyechicago.com/tv/redeye-game-of-thrones-season-6-episode-1-recap-20160424-story.html

and

Then it goes on by simply telling what happens to every character in comparison to the chaos ladder - climbing up, staying put, going down... which is more of a recap, than a review.

The stink is spreading - more & more ppl will realize d&d dont actually shit gold from digesting grrm's genius

Why did Sana have to become some terrified meek thing in desperate need of Theon to help her when she was the one pushing to escape Winterfell.  Couldn't both Sansa and Brienne have been ''strong'' in that scene or is that not possible for two women at the same time.  Theon even needed to nod at her to accept Brienne, and Sana who prided herself on being a Lady and knowing all about chivalry and the house sigils and words, didn't know how to accept Brienne?  Bullshit.

The episode was even better than I hoped for. It had D&D giving us the tried and true that they love:

• Potato Head Olly giving stern looks to everyone.
  • The Sand Snakes delivering horrible dialogue while at the same time delivering bad fight scenes.
  • Fansa back to being scared and incapable. Not quite Boss Ass Bitch yet.
  • Brienne the Brute giving a Monica Seles yell right before charging and throat splitting everyone she fought against.
  • And my favorite, one of the D boys stating his condescending "Back when George told us..." line during their Inside the Episode puke fest.

Also, the best part of the episode was that while Batfinger was not in the episode, he was nice enough to lend his jetpack to two of the Sand Snakes so they could fly to Trystane and kill him. Either that, or Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th Part VIII lent his teleporting machine that allowed the Sand Water Snakes to mysteriously watch the  boat leave the shores of Dorne at the end of Season Five, yet somehow be aboard the ship at King’s Landing in the beginning of Season Six.

Great stuff all around.

Archived