[Book Spoilers All] Bran’s Growing Powers in S6 Based upon the Reread

evita mgfs

His first two seasons he was reacting to other people’s storylines. Then he started to get his own thing with his dreaming and journeying north. But we weren’t sure what was going on. Now we’ve learned his storyline is pretty damn important. I love this season so much. His been very insular in his storyline. Now he’s realized he’s been having his dreams because he’s got to save Westeros. It’s such a cool storyline now.

It started off with these disturbing dreams and finding he could control direwolves. Then he discovered he could warg into humans. Then he started to have these weird visions. Now he’s starting to make use of the visions and starting to discover he can interact with the past — he’s like Doctor Who. It’s Doctor Bran!

interview

https://youtu.be/9_fBiOTOln8

Bran's scene in the new episode is one of my favourite and the highlight of the TOJ beside Ned and Dayne's fight.

I'm intrigued by Bran's moment where Ned actually heard his voice. Bloodraven's face indicated some sort of fear of Bran's power. Does it means Bran has the power to alter the past. I hope not. Too shady even by the show's standard.

Interesting we discussed about Bran is going to make a huge mistake in this season. Is this the mistake that Bran's actor was referring to? Bran disobeying Bloodraven and attempt to "drown" himself in the past, but caused a dire consequence. Judging by Bran's conversation with Bloodraven after the latter pulled him out of the TOJ sequence, it's possible Bran is going to make irrational choices in the upcoming episodes.

In my case it's by far the best scene from the episode. I was thrilled. All Bran's scenes have been perfect until now.

3 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Bran's scene in the new episode is one of my favourite and the highlight of the TOJ beside Ned and Dayne's fight.

I'm intrigued by Bran's moment where Ned actually heard his voice. Bloodraven's face indicated some sort of fear of Bran's power. Does it means Bran has the power to alter the past. I hope not. Too shady even by the show's standard.

Interesting we discussed about Bran is going to make a huge mistake in this season. Is this the mistake that Bran's actor was referring to? Bran disobeying Bloodraven and attempt to "drown" himself in the past, but caused a dire consequence. Judging by Bran's conversation with Bloodraven after the latter pulled him out of the TOJ sequence, it's possible Bran is going to make irrational choices in the upcoming episodes.

I think he has! Why should they include that if he couldn't? Plus, it happen in the books as well!!! I'm not saying like a major alteration, but something must be going on.....

5 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think he has! Why should they include that if he couldn't? Plus, it happen in the books as well!!! I'm not saying like a major alteration, but something must be going on.....

Really? I must have missed that during my reread.

If Bran does have the power to change the past, what will he alter?

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:28 PM, The Arthur Smith said:

If Bran does have the power to change the past, what will he alter?

He may not intend to alter anything, although just by being there and interacting with the past he's already altered something.  For example, I don't think he had a specific plan in mind when he shouted out to his father, causing Ned to turn around and momentarily delaying his entrance into the tower.  Remember, he hadn't seen his adult father since the day he fell from the tower and into the coma, only to find out later that his father had been beheaded and that he would never be reunited with him.  So, rushing towards his father and calling to him was more of an emotional gesture of excitement and longing from a child who had lost his father.  I could imagine that an impulsive reflex of this sort towards a long-lost family member might trigger a cascade of 'alternate' events predestining the future in a kind of internal feedback loop.  Tragically, for one, I suspect Bran's 'interference' may have had something to do with why Wyllis became Hodor. 

One thing is for sure 'the past is not written; the ink is not dry':

'The past is never dead.  It's not even past.'

-- William Faulkner

23 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

He may not intend to alter anything, although just by being there and interacting with the past he's already altered something.  For example, I don't think he had a specific plan in mind when he shouted out to his father, causing Ned to turn around and momentarily delaying his entrance into the tower.  Remember, he hadn't seen his adult father since the day he fell from the tower and into the coma, only to find out later that his father had been beheaded and that he would never be reunited with him.  So, rushing towards his father and calling to him was more of an emotional gesture of excitement and longing from a child who had lost his father.  I could imagine that an impulsive reflex of this sort towards a long-lost family member might trigger a cascade of 'alternate' events predestining the future in a kind of internal feedback loop.  Tragically, for one, I suspect Bran's 'interference' may have had something to do with why Wyllis became Hodor. 

One thing is for sure 'the past is not written; the ink is not dry':

How do you think it could have been (in a future past?)

yes, I also thing there will be some kind of minor alteration because of Bran

41 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

How do you think it could have been (in a future past?)

yes, I also thing there will be some kind of minor alteration because of Bran

Regarding how Wyllis became Hodor, you mean?  I don't like speculating too much, I just think it would be ironic were the answer Bran is seeking to be Bran himself!  

There are indications, from the novels now, that it's easier to warg an animal that's previously been warged -- like riding a horse that's already been broken in -- then how much harder must it be to warg a human being that's never been warged before (we know this from Varamyr's prologue and how despite being an accomplished warg he struggles with the spearwife who is figuratively driven out of her mind in the process of being literally driven out of her mind). 

One possibility, besides being a greenseeing prodigy, for why Bran is able to warg Hodor so easily on his first attempt is that Hodor may have been warged before.  It's possible therefore that the original event which drove Hodor out of his mind and rendered him speechless (besides the obvious physical head injury of some sort) is that he's already been visited by a warg -- possibly Bran himself!  

There are also subtle indications in the Euron chapters that Euron may have had some warging ability, and in this light it's highly suspect that his younger brother Urri was a 'simpleton' like Hodor. There are all those quotes about the hinges evoking the unhinged mind and opening a forbidden door.  If you're interested in this line of inquiry, see @DarkSister1001's topic:

and https://madeinmyr.wordpress.com/2015/02/21/a-black-eye-shining-with-malice-thoughts-concerning-eurons-black-magic-and-potential-dark-powers/

We will be developing this theme shortly on the Bran's developing powers re-read thread, so look out for that. 

Unlike Euron, however, I don't think Bran would've intentionally gone out to violently dominate Wyllis/Hodor.  The way I see it happening is in the heat of a tense and dangerous situation in which the Starks were threatened, prompting Bran the watcher to jump into the action, warging Hodor out of long habit, in an attempt to harness the otherwise gentle giant's fighting potential.  

Maybe something like that...

10 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Regarding how Wyllis became Hodor, you mean?  I don't like speculating too much, I just think it would be ironic were the answer Bran is seeking to be Bran himself!  

There are indications, from the novels now, that it's easier to warg an animal that's previously been warged -- like riding a horse that's already been broken in -- then how much harder must it be to warg a human being that's never been warged before (we know this from Varamyr's prologue and how despite being an accomplished warg he struggles with the spearwife who is figuratively driven out of her mind in the process of being literally driven out of her mind). 

One possibility, besides being a greenseeing prodigy, for why Bran is able to warg Hodor so easily on his first attempt is that Hodor may have been warged before.  It's possible therefore that the original event which drove Hodor out of his mind and rendered him speechless (besides the obvious physical head injury of some sort) is that he's already been visited by a warg -- possibly Bran himself!  

There are also subtle indications in the Euron chapters that Euron may have had some warging ability, and in this light it's highly suspect that his younger brother Urri was a 'simpleton' like Hodor. There are all those quotes about the hinges evoking the unhinged mind and opening a forbidden door.  If you're interested in this line of inquiry, see @DarkSister1001's topic:

and https://madeinmyr.wordpress.com/2015/02/21/a-black-eye-shining-with-malice-thoughts-concerning-eurons-black-magic-and-potential-dark-powers/

We will be developing this theme shortly on the Bran's developing powers re-read thread, so look out for that. 

Unlike Euron, however, I don't think Bran would've intentionally gone out to violently dominate Wyllis/Hodor.  The way I see it happening is in the heat of a tense and dangerous situation in which the Starks were threatened, prompting Bran the watcher to jump into the action, warging Hodor out of long habit, in an attempt to harness the otherwise gentle giant's fighting potential.  

Maybe something like that...

That's very interesting.

what you say about Hodor been warged before makes a lot of sense!

the possibility ob a previous Bran having warged Hodor is more complicated, but still in the realms of prossibility.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

We have new images for 6.05 The Door.

And Bran will apparently be important in this episode. We missed him in last episode.

SO, this is the link:

http://watchersonthewall.com/new-photos-game-thrones-season-6-episode-5-door/

Bran meeting the Whitewalkers.....Meera trying to wake him up.........and The Children of The Forest!!

And Bran is upset with BR????

Hi Meera of Tarth she of the many Avatar images!  :P

Those pictures are a little worrying for sure.  My guess is that Bran does get upset at BR, or the stuff he is showing him at least, and attempts to have one of these visions alone.  Which is when the Night's King invades this vision and is able to actually see and touch Bran like BR can.  Thus, with Bran being unable to awake from this visionary state it leads to Meera trying to wake him up etc.........  That's my guess anyway, I think a lot of the people on this thread have said something similar all along.

Which leads us to speculate that the NK can use the same magic as BR/old gods at some level.  Which in turn adds weight to the idea that the Others could be a result of CotF magic in the first place.  Some eagle eyed fans have spotted that the prosthetics on the faces of the Night's King and the Children are similar.  The eyes and the brow to be exact, this might be nothing but the show does try and use costume and music etc... to relay hints and subtleties where the books can't.

Also, did anyone notice the 'wind' reference in the Tower of Joy episode?  When Bran was back in the cave he said 'He [Ned] heard me'' and BR replied ''perhaps it was the wind''  Hmmm, this got me thinking.  There were no leaves around to rustle so this is potentially giving the wind a voice as we have posted about in the re-read thread.  Again this may be nothing, but it caught my attention.  Can't wait for the next episode!  :)        

59 minutes ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Also, did anyone notice the 'wind' reference in the Tower of Joy episode?  When Bran was back in the cave he said 'He [Ned] heard me'' and BR replied ''perhaps it was the wind''  Hmmm, this got me thinking.  There were no leaves around to rustle so this is potentially giving the wind a voice as we have posted about in the re-read thread.  Again this may be nothing, but it caught my attention.  Can't wait for the next episode!  :)        

Oh, that's good! We can be on the lookout for wind being mentioned again.

1 hour ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Wow. Great catch, Wizz!

28 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh, that's good! We can be on the lookout for wind being mentioned again.

11 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Wow. Great catch, Wizz!

Hey Le Cygne and Tijgy.  Thanks, let's hope it comes to something, that would be cool.  I always thought it would be hard for them to incorporate the wind angle, even though they did it with Osha and Bran in the early seasons. (leaves rustling)  So I was pleasantly surprised to hear this bit of dialogue.

They could use these types of mentions for all the hints, and of course get a bit creative.  I'm on the lookout for any mentions of wind as well, and any other offerings of the wind having a voice.  A whisper or a sigh for example, hey if BR is getting a little frustrated at Bran perhaps that's where we'll get the 'sighs', that would be hard to incorporate into spoken dialogue.  :dunno:   

Still, I am excited to see how, if at all, D&D are going to involve this line of thinking.  :) 

Archived