The Night Of (HBO)

AncalagonTheBlack

On 8/13/2016 at 7:02 AM, fixitwilya said:

I believe the scene was meant to show us that Naz is capable of going into a violent ,uncontrolled rage, and would have continued if he was not stopped, so (Victor's, I think) interfering was necessary.

I'm not thinking 22 is a magic number, but the coincidence is unmistakable. One of my friends stated there is juxtaposition within this story, like the cat and Naz for example. Maybe this is one as well.

My bigger question about that scene still is about Naz using his right hand to punch when he is left handed.

I think the scene was meant to show that was he was capable of going into a violent rage, but at the same time it shows that even if we question Naz''s ability to murder, as we don't even know him and he looks suspect, he didn't do it. I don't think Naz would've stopped at 22 stabs, without a cut on his hand (the cut was made when he broke the glass) and no trace of her blood on him, unless we are left to assume that he killed her, took a shower and then went to sleep only to wake up later having forgot all of it.

If you are in a drug induced violent state and you violently stab someone to death, you don't casually go take a shower. And that's something that should be brought during the trial. How can you stab someone 22 times, having the room looking the way it did, and be the killer without a once of her blood on you or your clothes. You have the murder weapon on you (allegedly) but nothing else ? 

Was expecting the scolding examples of Islamophobia to be much more heavy-handed. This was the first episode where they laid it on thick (the flawless, soft-spoken, sympathetic family having to take menial jobs, fired from their other employment, the news report about the beatings of random Muslims, Naz talking about being bullied). 

My initial rich white male killer prediction is looking pretty good though (although they seem to be trying to get us to jump to conclusions about him). 

31 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

I think the scene was meant to show that was he was capable of going into a violent rage, but at the same time it shows that even if we question Naz''s ability to murder, as we don't even know him and he looks suspect, he didn't do it. I don't think Naz would've stopped at 22 stabs, without a cut on his hand (the cut was made when he broke the glass) and no trace of her blood on him, unless we are left to assume that he killed her, took a shower and then went to sleep only to wake up later having forgot all of it.

If you are in a drug induced violent state and you violently stab someone to death, you don't casually go take a shower. And that's something that should be brought during the trial. How can you stab someone 22 times, having the room looking the way it did, and be the killer without a once of her blood on you or your clothes. You have the murder weapon on you (allegedly) but nothing else ? 

I agree with the blood splatter, but we truly do not know yet if there was blood on Naz's outer clothes. We saw him wake up at the kitchen table with the fridge door open in his underwear, and it did not look like he had blood on him then.

But as far as him casually taking a shower...I would not put it past him.

In high school he was provoked by taunting school mates, and then he pushed 1 down the stairs. And he told Chandra he did not feel a thing after,

In the shower he was provoked by the guy who burned him by calling him a faggot and nearly beat him to death. and then slept like a baby after also not feeling a thing.

Who is to say Andrea did not provoke him or make fun of him like a cat with a ball of yarn, or like Delilah with Sampson's emasculation  like the hearse guy quoted, kill her and then not feel a thing and casually take a shower and go downstairs to get something to eat?

You guys know it's a remake, right ? From a british show I believe. Just wondering if it's anything like the original.

And I made the connection about him sleeping like a baby when he beat that guy up, and him waking up at the table while I was writing, but I really believe it's meant to confuse us or lead us in another direction. 

And we still saw the deer head ! (when Stone was looking up his picture on his phone)

When Box plotted Naz's route on the map, the showed us the parking ticket, the time was 23:40 on Oct 24 that is 11:40 PM, but Weiss held up the parking ticket in court with the blood on it, and she said it was issued at 1:55 AM.

And then again, the dashcam in Wiggen's patrol car had him pulled over at 1:36 AM

Why all these inconsistencies in the time?

Nas is just doing more and more stupid things. What he did after waking up on the night I can accept since he was in a panic, but now he's shaving his head, getting tattoos and smoking heroin?

Since we don't know exactly what happened on the night the scenes that I like the most are when Box, the lawyers and the investigator try to piece it together. Duane and the stepdad seem too obvious as suspects though. I like the hearse driver the most as a suspect.

58 minutes ago, Steinman said:

Nas is just doing more and more stupid things. What he did after waking up on the night I can accept since he was in a panic, but now he's shaving his head, getting tattoos and smoking heroin?

Since we don't know exactly what happened on the night the scenes that I like the most are when Box, the lawyers and the investigator try to piece it together. Duane and the stepdad seem too obvious as suspects though. I like the hearse driver the most as a suspect.

That guy has some serious issues. I kept wondering if he took the nail polish from Andrea's house when the camera lingered on it.

So My theory is now:

Spoiler

The probate lawyer does not want either the scumbag young personal trainer who latched on to his prized client to get the estate.

He also does not want the spoiled drug addict party slut to get it and piss it away.

He wants it for himself, and sets his plan in motion. He knows the house and maybe even has keys. He hires Duane Reade to kill Andrea. he tells him to make it look like a crime of passion and stab her 22 times as this is her age. The gold necklace in the trailer was planted somewhere and would have  linked it to the stepdad.  Andrea dead, Stepdad in for murder of passion, Lawyer now has custody of the estate

Duane takes Trevor along as his lookout on the night of the 24th and hangs around Andrea's house. her moves are possibly very routine, go out, get high, get laid. She comes home with Naz, They move around to the back and look for the activity in the house to stop. Duane goes in through the back door and does NOT see Naz, who is  now passed out at the kitchen table because the refrigerator door was left open. (John's PI took the picture from the stairs and he had left the fridge door open deliberately). he goes up the stairs probably planning to kill them both,and stabs Andrea 22 times, he does not find Naz. then rushes outside, and leaves a blood trail on the deers head as he walks down the stairs, and in the backyard which the PI finds.

Trevor did not see the murder but he is stupid and walks back to the commotion realizes she is dead,He lies to Box and the DA about being alone for obvious reasons, but now knows he messed up by telling John what Duane's name was.

The lawyers plan has now failed because Naz is being blamed for the murder, but now comes John, and he can't wait to spill all the dirt on the Stepdad to him.

Again, we get the deer head.

Naz, can you do anymore stupid things? Tattoos on your knuckles, Sin---Bad...I mean damn, shaving your head was bad enough. Now he is smoking drugs and actively breaking other laws with the cell phone. He keeps having the flash backs, I have to wonder if the last one will be him killing her, and then getting a not guilty verdict.

Freddie, dude is always right. Knew the mom would bring the wrong color of shirt, nice little shirt exchange scene in the court room.

Box, I keep thinking he isn't sure that Naz is guilty, but then again maybe it's just my view pushed onto him.

DA, man it's amazing how they keep showing her basically telling her "expert" witnesses what to say. Still no mention of the chain of custody issue, thinking that will be what gets Naz off.

Nice to see all the previous suspects have been called out, the hearse driver and step dad. Both seem to be there for us to think about, and maybe to obvious. I will stick with the step dad as of now.

Chandra, man she looks totally unprepared for this case. Stone seems like he knows what he is doing and may have been the better choice to lead the case, especially now that he can wear shoes again!

59 minutes ago, dbunting said:

DA, man it's amazing how they keep showing her basically telling her "expert" witnesses what to say. Still no mention of the chain of custody issue, thinking that will be what gets Naz off.

I know, twisting the story in her favor, But that is what all lawyers do, like John told Naz in the 1st ep

I also like how she was trying to bond and win over Trevor with milk and cookies.

2 hours ago, fixitwilya said:

So My theory is now:

Hide contents

The probate lawyer does not want either the scumbag young personal trainer who latched on to his prized client to get the estate.

He also does not want the spoiled drug addict party slut to get it and piss it away.

He wants it for himself, and sets his plan in motion. He knows the house and maybe even has keys. He hires Duane Reade to kill Andrea. he tells him to make it look like a crime of passion and stab her 22 times as this is her age. The gold necklace in the trailer was planted somewhere and would have  linked it to the stepdad.  Andrea dead, Stepdad in for murder of passion, Lawyer now has custody of the estate

Duane takes Trevor along as his lookout on the night of the 24th and hangs around Andrea's house. her moves are possibly very routine, go out, get high, get laid. She comes home with Naz, They move around to the back and look for the activity in the house to stop. Duane goes in through the back door and does NOT see Naz, who is  now passed out at the kitchen table because the refrigerator door was left open. (John's PI took the picture from the stairs and he had left the fridge door open deliberately). he goes up the stairs probably planning to kill them both,and stabs Andrea 22 times, he does not find Naz. then rushes outside, and leaves a blood trail on the deers head as he walks down the stairs, and in the backyard which the PI finds.

Trevor did not see the murder but he is stupid and walks back to the commotion realizes she is dead,He lies to Box and the DA about being alone for obvious reasons, but now knows he messed up by telling John what Duane's name was.

The lawyers plan has now failed because Naz is being blamed for the murder, but now comes John, and he can't wait to spill all the dirt on the Stepdad to him.

Why would the money go to the lawyer in the absence of any next of kin? And why would the murderer intentionally stab her once for each year of her life? 

Archived