Ser Quentyn Ball

Valens

Another badass. He rescued Daemon from being imprisoned by Daeron's guards, then went to Lannisport and killed one lord and sent another one back. This is what I don't quite get. Was this lord too scared to fight him or what? Anyway, he was apparently a terrific fighter/warrior. He slew many men in battle, but then got shot by an arrow just before the Redgrass Field battle. Bad luck. And good luck for Daeron's forces. Was snubbed by Daeron for a place in the Kingsguard and this was really a dumb, dumb move by the otherwise so-wise king Daeron II. He might have fathered a bastard called Glendon Flowers. He is based on a late medieval English nobleman and warrior, sir Percy Hotspur. Another colourful and "kickass" character that wasn't given much time to flourish. Really wonder why GRRM does this sometimes...

10 minutes ago, Valens said:

Oh really? Then I guess you wouldn't trust Robert either.

Does that matter? And at least Robert didn't send his wife to the Silent Sisters (although maybe he should have). And no, I don't like Robert und wouldn't really trust him (for different reasons though).

But I doubt that you actually can compare these scenarios. Cheating on your wife in a world of arranged marriages is one thing, annulling the marriage and forcing your wife to join an order another. I my Kingsguard I would like to have not just the best fighters, but guys who joined the order to protect me, not just seek for glory and even harm their enviroment to be able to do so.

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Does that matter? And at least Robert didn't send his wife to the Silent Sisters (although maybe he should have). And no, I don't like Robert und wouldn't really trust him (for different reasons though).

But I doubt that you actually can compare these scenarios. Cheating on your wife in a world of arranged marriages is one thing, annulling the marriage and forcing your wife to join an order another. I my Kingsguard I would like to have not just the best fighters, but guys who joined the order to protect me, not just seek for glory and even harm their enviroment to be able to do so.

He slept with that woman during the war. That doesn't count. Anyway, Quentyn doesn't get mentioned in the discussions about the greatest swordsman of Westeros. He certainly was one of the greatest, being a master at arms in King's Landing and being from The Reach, home of the great swordsmen.

He's certainly an interesting character and I understand why Bloodraven singled out him rather than Aegor to die before the battle even began. His record is rather impressive to be honest and it remains interesting to see what fate holds for his son, or "son", Glendon.

I don't however agree in that the Reach produce more awesome swordsmen than any other region. If anything it appears that the Crownlands, home of the Targaryens, produce the best swordsmen.

5 hours ago, Valens said:

He slept with that woman during the war. That doesn't count.

I don't have any problem at all with Quentyn sleeping with whores. But I totally understand Daeron's II decision. I would not want to be protected by a guy who forces his wife to join the Silent Sisters either. I would rather chose someone not that talented with swords but more honourable. Someone who knows to honour his vows.

2 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I don't have any problem at all with Quentyn sleeping with whores. But I totally understand Daeron's II decision. I would not want to be protected by a guy who forces his wife to join the Silent Sisters either. I would rather chose someone not that talented with swords but more honourable. Someone who knows to honour his vows.

He did that just to get a place in the kingsguard.

Yes. And that's exactly the reason why I wouldn't let him join the Kingsguard either. If he just wants to protect the king and fight for him, he doesn't need to be in the KIngsguard, there are other possibilities to do so. But apparently he just liked the sound of 'Ser Quentyn Ball of the Kingsguard'. And he mistreated his wife to get glory, the person he swore an oath to.

2 hours ago, direpupy said:

He was a douchebag for what he did to his wife.

And the place in the kingsguard was promised by Aegon IV so we are talking about a buddy of the unworthy here, not really a reconmendation in my book.

After aegon promised to appoint him to kingsguard, he had no other choice than abandoning his wife. And i guess he slept with whore before battle to de-stress himself.

22 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

After aegon promised to appoint him to kingsguard, he had no other choice than abandoning his wife. And i guess he slept with whore before battle to de-stress himself.

The whore i have no problem with a man has certain needs afterall. But as to the wife he could have said "i am married so i decline" you are allowed to refuse an appointment to the kingsguard, and he was not even appointed just promised a place when one opened up wich heavily impleis that he asked for a place instead of being offered one out of nowhere.

So i heavely disagree, he did have a choice and was a douchbag.

1 hour ago, direpupy said:

... So i heavely disagree, he did have a choice and was a douchbag.

Well, foremost: I do not have the exact wording in my head right now, so I might be wrong.

Couldn't it is also be possible that both toghether came to the conclusion/decision it is best to break it up? And before she has to survive on her own she chose to become a silent sister where she is cared for.

I am aware that this sounds like a 21st century decision, but it might still be possible. It surely was a arranged wedding, and they probably tried to get her pregnant and it didn't work out. And since they didn't come along too good they chose this way.

Still this was only a possible (if the wording doesn't forbid it ie. "he forced her" from a reliable source) way things happened.

5 hours ago, direpupy said:

He was a douchebag for what he did to his wife.

And the place in the kingsguard was promised by Aegon IV so we are talking about a buddy of the unworthy here, not really a reconmendation in my book.

Who made you the holy one? Lol...point is, he was an outstanding swordsman, he was master at arms so it should be given that he deserves a place in the kingsguard.

12 minutes ago, Valens said:

point is, he was an outstanding swordsman, he was master at arms so it should be given that he deserves a place in the kingsguard.

Err no, that's not given at all. It needs more than being skilled with swords to be a proper Kingsguard.

It was Visenya, not Aegon, who decided the nature of the Kingsguard. Seven champions for the Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, who would all be knights. She modeled their vows upon those of the Night's Watch, so that they would forfeit all things save their duty to the king. And when Aegon spoke of a grand tourney to choose the first Kingsguard, Visenya dissuaded him, saying he needed more than skill in arms to protect him; he also needed unwavering loyalty.

And apparently Quentyn wasn't that loyal to his king. Serving as a Kingsguard is a duty, but Quentyn saw it as a chance to win glory. As king I would always prefer trustworthiness over fighting abilities.

2 hours ago, Valens said:

Who made you the holy one? Lol...point is, he was an outstanding swordsman, he was master at arms so it should be given that he deserves a place in the kingsguard.

Hell no read this quote from the world of ice and fire and u while see that it takes more then being a great swordsman to be a kingsguard.

It was Visenya, not Aegon, who decided the nature of the Kingsguard. Seven champions for the Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, who would all be knights. She modeled their vows upon those of the Night's Watch, so that they would forfeit all things save their duty to the king. And when Aegon spoke of a grand tourney to choose the first Kingsguard, Visenya dissuaded him, saying he needed more than skill in arms to protect him; he also needed unwavering loyalty. The king entrusted Visenya with selecting the first members of the order, and history shows he was wise to do so: two died defending him, and all served to the end of their days with honor. The White Book recounts their names, as it has recorded the name and deeds of every knight who swore the vows: Ser Corlys Velaryon, the first Lord Commander; Ser Richard Roote; Ser Addison Hill, Bastard of Cornfield; Ser Gregor Goode and Ser Griffith Goode, brothers; Ser Humfrey the Mummer, a hedge knight; and Ser Robin Darklyn, called Darkrobin, the first of many Darklyns to wear the white cloak.

Quentyn was undeserving of a place in the kingsguard because he betrayed his king at the first change to get what he wanted, glory. He was a glory seeker and in the treatment of his wife we can see he would stop at nothing to get it, Daeron not giving him a place in the kingsguard is arguably one of his best decisions

2 hours ago, Valens said:

Hell no read this quote from the world of ice and fire and u while see that it takes more then being a great swordsman to be a kingsguard.

It was Visenya, not Aegon, who decided the nature of the Kingsguard. Seven champions for the Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, who would all be knights. She modeled their vows upon those of the Night's Watch, so that they would forfeit all things save their duty to the king. And when Aegon spoke of a grand tourney to choose the first Kingsguard, Visenya dissuaded him, saying he needed more than skill in arms to protect him; he also needed unwavering loyalty. The king entrusted Visenya with selecting the first members of the order, and history shows he was wise to do so: two died defending him, and all served to the end of their days with honor. The White Book recounts their names, as it has recorded the name and deeds of every knight who swore the vows: Ser Corlys Velaryon, the first Lord Commander; Ser Richard Roote; Ser Addison Hill, Bastard of Cornfield; Ser Gregor Goode and Ser Griffith Goode, brothers; Ser Humfrey the Mummer, a hedge knight; and Ser Robin Darklyn, called Darkrobin, the first of many Darklyns to wear the white cloak.

Quentyn was undeserving of a place in the kingsguard because he betrayed his king at the first change to get what he wanted, glory. He was a glory seeker and in the treatment of his wife we can see he would stop at nothing to get it, Daeron not giving him a place in the kingsguard is arguably one of his best decisions

1 hour ago, direpupy said:

Wasn't necessary posting that twice  :P And who says Quentyn lacked loyalty? Stop clutching at straws!<_<

Archived