[possible spoilers] TOJ...how optimistic are you?

ToTheWolves

5 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

With the FM plot, I think we got a hint of it this episode with the Waif asking Arya who is on her list. After Arya names them, the FM will now assassinate them.

That would have been kind of silly. They've handled Dawn perfectly in my eyes. For the fans to recognize, no unnecessary exposition for show only people.

On 5/4/2016 at 2:52 PM, Charlie Hustle said:

The question is why would they show his history? Us readers know, but the unsullied dont. They can really hold back from that and just go the Bran vision route and show the fight and cut from there. Unless its information thats useful to Bran, that part will be cut. Why tell us watchers about Snow if snow know nothing (low hanging fruit)?

Did i call it? or did i call it???

The question is why would they show his history? Us readers know, but the unsullied dont. They can really hold back from that and just go the Bran vision route and show the fight and cut from there. Unless its information thats useful to Bran, that part will be cut. Why tell us watchers about Snow if snow know nothing (low hanging fruit)?

7 hours ago, TheRevanchist said:

We have a prophet.

I was right? Hmm, nice :) First time for everything. I still need to watch episode two when I can find the time. Low on my list of priorities atm. Was it split exactly where I said or slightly different?

I think they will only show what's inside the tower at the end of the season as the "big revelation"
Is it possible that they will show some R+L flashback before that as to gives us some context over what went down?

8 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I was right? Hmm, nice :) First time for everything. I still need to watch episode two when I can find the time. Low on my list of priorities atm. Was it split exactly where I said or slightly different?

Yep. You were completely correct on your guess.

For what is worth, I found the episode 2 and 3 were good compared with the first episode and the last season.

I am disappointed on 6 vs 2 when it could've easily be 7 vs 3, I mean I guess fans would eat 10 vs 3 or 9 vs 3 even easier than cutting character with quite big importance in history of ASOIAF like Gerold...

Btw, didnt the show actually have Joffrey read that Gerold died at TOJ? Back in like season 4? And to have him cut off would be pretty ironic... anyway, lets hope he is inside of the tower, seeing he is Lord Commander. 

11 hours ago, SerTwenty of House Goodmen said:

I was not drunk when I saw the scene in the show, but I still saw 2 Dawn swords. Unbelievable

On 5/7/2016 at 4:20 PM, plectrum said:

I'm actually fairly optimistic here.  They won't introduce Dawn, but the fight looks pretty amazing, and if it's acted correctly it could have dramatic mean as well.

Let's be honest: the listing for an actor to play Dayne specifically mentioned that he was one of the best swordsmen in the world, so they were looking for someone who could be bad ass for the few minutes of screen time they'll get.  I think the Sand Snakes casting blurb probably just mentioned "must look cute in a bikini top" and that's about it.  

It won't be exactly like the books but it should still be a good bit of fun if you're not one of those people who get all bent out of shape every time D&D cast a brown eyed actor to play a blue eyed character..

I was re-watching the scene again just for the sword

1) Arthur sits cleaning/sharpening the sword with a star in the hilt (aka Dawn)

2) Ned and Co arrive, chat with him.

3) Arthur sticks the sword into the ground upright

4) "now it ends"  and Arthur pulls out 2 swords (different) ones from sheaths.

5) during the scene I see the sword lying on the ground away from falling combatants

7 hours ago, Alcarin said:

I am disappointed on 6 vs 2 when it could've easily be 7 vs 3, I mean I guess fans would eat 10 vs 3 or 9 vs 3 even easier than cutting character with quite big importance in history of ASOIAF like Gerold...

Btw, didnt the show actually have Joffrey read that Gerold died at TOJ? Back in like season 4? And to have him cut off would be pretty ironic... anyway, lets hope he is inside of the tower, seeing he is Lord Commander. 

Apparently it was in fact  gerold. The actor tweeted a YouTube reviewer who was having a bit of a rant about it and revealed that he was casted as gerold.

14 hours ago, Charlie Hustle said:

hmmm, i think you called it. ^_^

Speaking of tower of Joy. Even if Bran sees what happens in the tower, it doesnt mean anything significant (as far as whats going on now). Yes, yes we know Snow may be the protagonist of the story. But, even if Bran finds out and tells John Snow. Snow wouldn't believe it. Why? First he wouldn't believe it because unless Howland told his kids (meaning Meera since Jojen is dead) for confirmation, he is just believing his little brother who had a "vision". Second, wheres the other proof beside of word of mouth from two people, one is a relative? Which is why I dont think Snow would believe it, or care.

Also Snow is not a political person. He would probably care less about any claim to the throne. If Danny found out, he would prolly say, "You take it, none if this matters if the undead marches south". He has seen the bigger picture of the world and its a matter of life or death with humanity. I think D&D will let that scene simmer for a while since that information really doesnt benefit anyone currently, but it did let us book readers know "we havent forgot about you"". The only person who could tell him about the significance of his parentage would be Mel. But we know how he feels about the red witch. Though he should have a different feeling about her now tho. she would have breakfast in bed every morning. With the necklace on of course.

16 hours ago, Masha said:

I was re-watching the scene again just for the sword

1) Arthur sits cleaning/sharpening the sword with a star in the hilt (aka Dawn)

2) Ned and Co arrive, chat with him.

3) Arthur sticks the sword into the ground upright

4) "now it ends"  and Arthur pulls out 2 swords (different) ones from sheaths.

5) during the scene I see the sword lying on the ground away from falling combatants

Watch it again. He fights with Dawn in his right hand, the other sword in his left. He drops Dawn when Reed stabs him, then Ned picks it up and kills him with it.

13 hours ago, ToTheWolves said:

Apparently it was in fact  gerold. The actor tweeted a YouTube reviewer who was having a bit of a rant about it and revealed that he was casted as gerold.

So OLD Ser Gerold Hightower looks kinda younger than Ned, Arthur and others???? And he is sharpening his sword which was Oswells doing? Nice to butcher more of the scene haha.... Epic.

5 hours ago, mattnj81 said:

Watch it again. He fights with Dawn in his right hand, the other sword in his left. He drops Dawn when Reed stabs him, then Ned picks it up and kills him with it.

I did, I saw when he stuck the Dawn in the ground, that there also two sword handles sticking out from 2 sheaths. Also when he pulls out two swords the hand movements and (double metallic sounds) indicate that he pulls out 2 swords from 2 sheaths.

3 hours ago, Alcarin said:

So OLD Ser Gerold Hightower looks kinda younger than Ned, Arthur and others???? And he is sharpening his sword which was Oswells doing? Nice to butcher more of the scene haha.... Epic.

When was OLD Hightower mentioned in the show? When? When? When was Whent sharpening his sword mentioned in the show? When? When?

You know, there is some legitimate in-show (even in-episode) criticism lying around. Why does Dayne act more like a commander than the actual Lord Commander. I often mix up book knowledge and show knowledge but complaining about really really UNIMPORTANT only because they differ between book and show is just whiny bitching.

16 hours ago, Masha said:

I did, I saw when he stuck the Dawn in the ground, that there also two sword handles sticking out from 2 sheaths. Also when he pulls out two swords the hand movements and (double metallic sounds) indicate that he pulls out 2 swords from 2 sheaths.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're mistaken. The second metallic sound was from the other KG pulling his sword. Use the video link below, and pause it at 1:38. You can clearly see Dayne has only one sword, on his left hip, and Dawn is in the ground. The other KG's sword is in its scabbard and he is resting his left hand on it.

Pause it again at 2:03 and you can clearly see he is pulling the sword from the scabbard on his left hip, and the other is Dawn that he is pulling straight up out of the ground.

Pause it again at 3:19 and you can see the sword he uses to stab the Northman is Dawn.

This video doesn't show the end of the fight, but if you look at the end you can see Ned picks up Dawn after Dayne drops it and kills him with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDOWgbo1ho8 

17 hours ago, messem said:

When was OLD Hightower mentioned in the show? When? When? When was Whent sharpening his sword mentioned in the show? When? When?

You know, there is some legitimate in-show (even in-episode) criticism lying around. Why does Dayne act more like a commander than the actual Lord Commander. I often mix up book knowledge and show knowledge but complaining about really really UNIMPORTANT only because they differ between book and show is just whiny bitching.

Gerold was mentioned in the show in the same episode, to start with, and i also think his name was seen when Kingsguard book pages are being turned :)

No, complaining about things that are changed for the sake of changing (instead of fixing the script and dialogue and actors) is lazy adaptation, period, and is perfectly valid. If you adapt a book you either stick to it especially in the scenes that are perfectly well written and described or just skip it. 

If the logic of turning 3 against 7 into 2 against 6 is because budget I say skip it alltogether and only film inside, would be legit and I would understand despite being disappointed, but butchering the whole vision/dream sequence and then trying to "excuse" such bad adaptation by words like budgetary contraints or even fan nitpicking is pretty sad. Its like they would make 3 meter tall wall in the north and youd defend it its not important because it will fall anyway.... 

Isnt that also nitpicking and kinda unimportant for the end game? I mean it will fall anyway right!

And btw, here:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Arthur_Dayne?file=BookOfBrothersDayne.jpg

Doesnt on the left in book where Joffrey was reading of the legacy of KG, clearly write on left that Ser Gerold Hightower died alongside Oswell Whent and Arthur Dayne in Dorne in ToJ???

I can read, I guess you and show watchers mainly cannot then, so its clearly said there were 3 there and they died together :)  So even shows cannon confirms it was 3 Kingsguard!!!! Just go ahead and read it. 

Archived