Varys is the traitor!!!!!

goomba

48 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Then maybe it was Pyat Pree.

33 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

Do you mean the locust or when she was pregnant with Rhaego?

I'm getting a little confused. Regarding whether Varis is the traitor, the suggestion was made above that this may have something to do with Varis having tried to poison Dany in Season 1:

20 hours ago, tmug said:

Varys set up Dany to be poisoned in S1. This will be revealed soon to Dany and/or Tyrion. That red priestess knows about it. In the books, Varys is with FAegon, not exactly supporting Dany either.

I think the poisoning incident being referred to here is the one with the wine seller in Vaes Dorthrak when Dany was pregnant with Drogo's son Rhaego. Varis wasn't involved with the manticore incident, or the one with the locusts (which in any case did not happen in the show). However, someone else above noted that the fact that Varis was involved in that incident is already known by Dany, so this is unlikely to be the route of prophesied treachery.

Regarding Pyat Pree, do you mean that he might be the traitor? I don't think that this would make sense because they were already enemies at the time of the manticore incident, so that wouldn't be a betrayal. The traitor could be Varis, as suggested by this thread topic, but it doesn't seem likely that the basis of the treachery would be the earlier poisoning (Rhaego pregnancy) that Varis was involved with, so there would have to be some further treachery/betrayal. Alternatively, it could be someone or something else altogether...

Did the prophesy about the betrayal happen on the show, or was it only in the books - I can't remember?

4 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

It didn't happen in the show from what i remember.

I forgot the wine incident. Thought everyone was talking about the manticore.

Yeah, I forgot about the manticore one until you mentioned it. Too many attempted poisonings of Dany...

12 hours ago, CockroachCaptain said:

Hm, hadn't thought of it that way. I just assumed since they weren't doing Young Griff that show-Varys was a Targ loyalist and that's why he kept tabs on her. So the question then is who has he been serving this whole time?

I fear we are both right, though, and that Varys is a Targ loyalist that in that day was not thinking too straight and still sent a poisoner.
Am I just paranoid about the post-books writing?

3 minutes ago, mediterraneo said:

I fear we are both right, though, and that Varys is a Targ loyalist that in that day was not thinking too straight and still sent a poisoner.
Am I just paranoid about the post-books writing?

Nah, it's just confusing because the Show cut Aegon, but they probably handn't decided it till Season 3 or 4. So, it's just a contradiction.

Varys isn't the traitor, he is the real hero of the whole saga, not the showy hero stereotypes with big hair. Just as LF is the real villain of the piece, not Joffrey or Ramsay. It is and has always been the battle between them for the soul of Westeros, the others are all just window dressing. I hope this ends with LF on the throne, if it is to be based on grim medieval reality and not fairy story, and then both he and the WWs will have to be finally defeated by the Targ cousins, or in modern day speak,  aunt and nephew.

One thing that isn't really touched on much is that nobody seems to think it odd that after Tyrion become hand of the queen so to speak suddenly he's joined by this bald dude he knows very well from the other side of the world. I mean does nobody see it as a bit odd that Varys just happened to turn up and he already knows the dwarf who was nearly killed in the fighting pits and now he's running the show with him? Does nobody question his sudden rise to power?

i know M & GW are a bit suspicious but that's mainly because they seem to see T & V as not having a clue about eastern politics or the nature of the slave trade is Essos. What's Danny going to say if she comes back and sees Tyrion just happened to meet Varys half way round the world and give him a role in charge. 

I don't think Varys had any choice in season one and book one but to set up the assassination attempt.  King Robert had to sign a pardon for Jorah Mormont and Pycelle being Grand Maester had to oversee correspondence being sent anywhere, even to little birds.  Those things would have to exist and there would have to be assurance that they were sent.  The way I personally interpreted the scene in season one (before I'd read the books) was that Jorah was in on a plan to stop the poisoning and when the pardon was put into his hand he actually considered taking it in order to return to Westeros.  The scene was more about proving Jorah's loyalty to Daenerys to the viewer.  If that's the case then Varys has never contradicted Targaryen loyalty since the assassination attempt was always just a convincing ruse from his perspective, but at the same time if that were the case Jorah would have explained that to Dany in season four when he got caught by Barristan.

Archived