Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Bakker's TGO Excerpts II: Mining our Merest Fraction [Spoilers]s

Oh, I thought we already knew that. I had thought that it was stated that the Ark crashing was absolutely unintentional. Didn't Wutteat say something along those lines? 

Remember, the Inchies came out and weren't trying to kill anyone right away. They first got investigated and then summarily executed, then they were guarded by nonmen, and the only reason that they managed to survive was because of Nin'jan'jin. It's not clear how long it was before they were able to figure out how to speak to nonmen either. 

New thread here.

5 hours ago, Callan S. said:

To be fair they aren't doing the sexy times all that often. It might be many times that otherwise. But it'd still be a very low rate.

For example, peeps say we share 99% genetic material with orangutans- but can we mate with one and produce a baby?

Yep, just went there... >:)

the ones in Cil'Aujus  were. Remember Akka telling the story in judging eye about how one of the prized concubines had carried to pregnancy if not term twice (or words similiar). I of course acknowledge your point. i was just pointing out we have 2 examples.

Dude, unlike my brother I do not have a photographic memory. When I read you guys debating and bringing up shit at will that I've clearly forgotten, it amazes me sometimes.

Just thinking out loud here:

So, Inchies have been seeking this particular world for a very, very long time. Clearly they weren't just skipping around the universe hoping to just happen upon it as the odds of that are infinitesimal. So, they had some sense that it fit certain criteria that would make it a possibility. Suggesting what, some ability to scan long range... though for what exactly? For that matter, I wonder if we'll get an explanation of sorts regarding why the possible resolution to damnation is only a local phenomenon.  

According to the non-men it was populated when it crashed. As they made a rough death count as a fraction of the whole. 999/1000 died i believe or it's expressed as 1/1000 died.

If you can traverse the galaxy, you can probably stop a relatively slow crash from being fatal for everyone. The ark seems to have not been damaged externally very much. It also defeats the ability of two races to damage atm.

2 hours ago, Callan S. said:

I seem to remember a glossary in one of the books mentioning some hidden chamber they secreted themselves in. Not sure.

The Inchoroi are such tragic figures - I really didn't get until the descriptions of damnation torture, I think because the idea of such hell isn't really part of my cultural history.

Yeah the Mangecca found them after seeing the inverse flame (i think), thankfully they had found someone to explain what they saw, or words to that effect. That may be from the atrocity tale though.

Could be some sort of complex deflection system that redirects all the force and dissipates it.  Be a shit story if they all died in the crash though.

As this thread dies may I just give a heartfelt thanks to MSJ for referencing so beautifully our merest fraction(s)!

In terms of the sunk ship, why could it not have simply burrowed into the ground? After impact?

I think one of the glossaries does say a bunch of inchies did die in the impact. But not all.

I mean you could even have really low tech - they have escape pods with parachutes. Once the heat dies down, they scurry back into the arc (finding most of their tech wrecked).

The parachutes are black, of course! Streaming out of the ship as it comes down...

But it is cooler if they rode it down - far more metal!