Why wasn't Jaime executed for attacking the Hand of the King (Ned)?

jontargaryan

1 hour ago, CJ McLannister said:

Because Robert was a shitty king.

This was one of his smarter decisions, Ned's guardsmen are nothing in comparison to the Lannisters and nothing to Robert. Jaime's reaction was extreme but understandable.

14 minutes ago, WilliamWesterosiWallace said:

On top of all the good arguments laid out above, Jaime fled the city after his attack on Eddard. 

That seems immaterial though as he would not have been executed had he stuck around.

"Catelyn had good reason for taking the Imp—"
"I said, I will not have it! To hell with her reasons. You will command her to release the dwarf at once, and you will make your peace with Jaime."
"Three of my men were butchered before my eyes, because Jaime Lannister wished to chasten me. Am I to forget that?"

People in the fandom seem to exaggerate Robert's negative feelings against Jaime (and the Lannisters). He does not really seem to have a problem with him as he defends him to Ned and makes him his Warden of the East above his own brothers. 

The evidence that he does not like him comes from him laughing when Jaime, quite comically, fell off his horse and had his helmet stuck. Everyone, commonfolk and nobles alike, was laughing, had Tyrion been there he would have been laughing at Jaime as well.

8 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

This was one of his smarter decisions, Ned's guardsmen are nothing in comparison to the Lannisters and nothing to Robert. Jaime's reaction was extreme but understandable.

By that time, yes.  But he never should have let the Lannisters get themselves so ingrained in the structure of everything.  If Robert had been more interested in running the kingdom, he could have kept Tywin's power in check.  He's in a position where the Lannisters have troops in the city, and all he's got is the Gold Cloaks, who aren't super trust-worthy.

15 minutes ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

That seems immaterial though as he would not have been executed had he stuck around.

"I said, I will not have it! To hell with her reasons. You will command her to release the dwarf at once, and you will make your peace with Jaime."
"Three of my men were butchered before my eyes, because Jaime Lannister wished to chasten me. Am I to forget that?"

People in the fandom seem to exaggerate Robert's negative feelings against Jaime (and the Lannisters). He does not really seem to have a problem with him as he defends him to Ned and makes him his Warden of the East above his own brothers. 

The evidence that he does not like him comes from him laughing when Jaime, quite comically, fell off his horse and had his helmet stuck. Everyone, commonfolk and nobles alike, was laughing, had Tyrion been there he would have been laughing at Jaime as well.

I believe he also pushed Jaime into the dirt when he's drunk during a feast and Jaime tries to calm him.

31 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

I believe he also pushed Jaime into the dirt when he's drunk during a feast and Jaime tries to calm him.

But that was a friendly push.  Like snapping teammates with wet towels in the locker room, or punching your brother in the testicles.

Where the heck comes the notion Robert "is not the brightest of the class" or "intelligence wasn´t his forte"?? He's not a scientist that´s for sure, but folks here speak as if the other characters are geniuses... a guy with a military IQ shown by Robert is well above 80% of the other characters... or are we calling him limited because he´s fat and likes to drink massive amounts?

Let's take an example, Tywin... an intelligent, experienced guy... i wouldn't put his general IQ above Robert's by 10 points, in fact military wise Bob's IQ is  proven to be superior... people often confuse lack of interest or moral weakness with stupidity, and that's STUPID

Yes, Jaime wasn´t executed because Ned was Robert´s friend and the Lannisters were his family by ties of marriage...

If he wanted, he would follow jaime to his father´s army and crush them with superior numbers and military minds not the other way around...

His royal wife (who sleeps in his bed with him and knives) and children are the real reason behind it... he owes Tywin gold, until he wants to, lest we forget he saved CR after lannisport became ironborn target range, he could very well raise it to the ground if Tywin barked too much

14 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

His royal wife (who sleeps in his bed with him and knives) and children are the real reason behind it... he owes Tywin gold, until he wants to, lest we forget he saved CR after lannisport became ironborn target range, he could very well raise it to the ground if Tywin barked too much

The Ironborn attacked the Lannisport fleet, not Lannisport itself.

I kind of doubt that Robert could raise the ground of Casterly Rock (or the capitals of the Reach, North, Vale and Dorne) without proper cause. A member of Robert's own Kingsguard fighting with his Hand would probably not constitute this.

I agree with the rest of your post, he was not dumb just not interested in ruling.

Somebody nailed it!

Executing Jamie for the attack against Ned would not make much sense. He could be punished but not by the king but by the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

But Jamie leaving the city after is akin to desertion from the Kingsguard because he neither received permission nor was ordered to do so. And for desertion he could and should be executed.

12 minutes ago, Radu Alex said:

But Jamie leaving the city after is akin to desertion from the Kingsguard because he neither received permission nor was ordered to do so. And for desertion he could and should be executed.

Depends on the King. Robert was pretty lax about his Kingsgaurd, after all he left for Winterfell on a journey that must have taken at least a third of a year with only 3 members of his Kingsguard.

The Kingsguard code requires that there was always one present, not that all stay there at all times.

Had Robert, or maybe even Barristan, ordered him to return and he told them no then you could make a case of desertion and execution if caught but in this regard I don't think so.

1 hour ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

The Ironborn attacked the Lannisport fleet, not Lannisport itself.

I kind of doubt that Robert could raise the ground of Casterly Rock (or the capitals of the Reach, North, Vale and Dorne) without proper cause. A member of Robert's own Kingsguard fighting with his Hand would probably not constitute this.

I agree with the rest of your post, he was not dumb just not interested in ruling.

Jaime´s attack would not be enough to justify a CR invasion i agree 300%, but if Tywin declared war on Robert to protect Jaime only one would win, and Robert without the crown would get more numbers on his charisma alone, add the fact he´s king at this point and there's nothing the Lannisters could do aside pleading for mercy... raising CR down was a way of saying he would do a Tywin on Tywin himself, CR is too much value for money to damage

Yes the IB attacked the fleet, but they made a city with a good, well trained watch, become commatose with fear until the King´s justice acted... Lannisport couldn't even deal with a coastal attack let alone a Royal invasion but that´s just me... case in point, some folks think Bob did not punish jaime because tywin was on battlefield mode (i humbly disagree, Bob would manage larger numbers and better commanders in a pretty short amount of time, and win rather easily)... Cersei on the other hand could kill him pretty much every night, many ways... and the kids, in his mind were his so there´s the reason to me

45 minutes ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Depends on the King. Robert was pretty lax about his Kingsgaurd, after all he left for Winterfell on a journey that must have taken at least a third of a year with only 3 members of his Kingsguard.

The Kingsguard code requires that there was always one present, not that all stay there at all times.

Had Robert, or maybe even Barristan, ordered him to return and he told them no then you could make a case of desertion and execution if caught but in this regard I don't think so.

That would be the cold truth, Bob couldn´t care less if a KG decided to take a 6 month vacation on Lys...

That comes with being "dead" for quite a few years...

28 minutes ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

Jaime fled the city .

Not really. He was running to something, not away from it.

Ned and his Northern guards may have presumed that he would be in trouble for what he did but clearly Robert or Jaime did not see it the same way.

56 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Yes the IB attacked the fleet, but they made a city with a good, well trained watch, become commatose with fear until the King´s justice acted

Sorry, where was that said?

56 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Lannisport couldn't even deal with a coastal attack let alone a Royal invasion but that´s just me.

Yeah, they could deal with a coastal attack. Lannisport was unharmed, their boats were fucked. There is a clear difference.

7 hours ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Sorry, where was that said?

Yeah, they could deal with a coastal attack. Lannisport was unharmed, their boats were fucked. There is a clear difference.

Not said, just a deduction... If they weren't they wouldn't need the royal army and fleet to come and invade the iron islands, the westerlands and it's LP would do it themselves (Stannis even says that he succeded where tywin had failed, so the old lion tried)... the IB proved many times they can assault well defended posts on land in the North\Reach... just a deduction

Precisely by not having a good defence on it's port makes me believe tgey cannot deal with a solid coastal attack,being at the complete mercy of the IB for sea trade is no good news

I wage that this is my personal belief not a fact mind you, what i consider fact is that if Bob invades Lannisport and CR after a war declaration of Tywin, the city and the hill is lost 

Ps: stannis's quote is from history & lore, not proven canon but it's likely since george wouldn't let d&d crap on the history behind agot without bran the timetrapper involved

I don't have the book to hand for the quote but more than three of the Lannister men were killed as a result of the confrontation I believe?  It's not like the Stark men were summarily executed, it was a fight on both sides.  I doubt any high ranking person would be executed for breaking the peace by their guards fighting and KG and Queen's brother aside Jaime is still a Lannister.

That said I was quite fond of Jory and his death is the thing I have the hardest time forgiving Jaime for.

2 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Not said, just a deduction... If they weren't they wouldn't need the royal army and fleet to come and invade the iron islands, the westerlands and it's LP would do it themselves

Why would they do it themselves when the Ironborn had also attacked Segard, raided up and and down the sunset sea and declared their independence from Robert.  Why would he not get involved?

Why would Tywin refuse his son-in-laws help? Or tell him to not bother getting involved with the Ironborn renouncing their fealty to him?

Larger armies win with fewer caualties, there is not really much upside for Tywin to tell Robert to not get involved with one of his kingdoms declaring independence.

(Stannis even says that he succeded where tywin had failed, so the old lion tried)...

Do you recall that quote. I genuinely can't recall it

the IB proved many times they can assault well defended posts on land in the North\Reach... just a deduction

But that was not your claim, you said they were comatose with fear and could not protect themselves. Lannisport was fine at that time, what the Ironborn can and can not do does not change the fact of what actually happened in this instance.

Precisely by not having a good defence on it's port makes me believe tgey cannot deal with a solid coastal attack,being at the complete mercy of the IB for sea trade is no good news

Which has what to do with you said? I'm not denying that the Ironborn are capable.

I wage that this is my personal belief not a fact mind you, what i consider fact is that if Bob invades Lannisport and CR after a war declaration of Tywin, the city and the hill is lost 

And like I said before, depends entirely on how valid the reasons for such a war was and how much support Robert had.

Ps: stannis's quote is from history & lore, not proven canon but it's likely since george wouldn't let d&d crap on the history behind agot without bran the timetrapper involved

oh, I have only seen some of those videos and while the art and voice acting are marvelous, and the stories engaging there are a lot of inconsistencies with the books.

edit: lol I wish I read your whole post first, I was using every combination of possible words in asearchoffireandice to find that quote

Ned tried to execute the Mountain. How well did that go?

11 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Jaime´s attack would not be enough to justify a CR invasion i agree 300%, but if Tywin declared war on Robert to protect Jaime only one would win, and Robert without the crown would get more numbers on his charisma alone, add the fact he´s king at this point and there's nothing the Lannisters could do aside pleading for mercy... raising CR down was a way of saying he would do a Tywin on Tywin himself, CR is too much value for money to damage

Tywin wasn't stupid enough to declare war and march to it right off. He would probably stale for time, plot, negotiate, use the fact that the court was spiked with Lannister agents and one day Robert would wake up poisoned by his enemies or something. I mean, if betraying and having the guy killed wasn't too difficult for Cersei, then it wouldn't be to Tywin either, distance non-withstanding.

19 hours ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Why would they do it themselves when the Ironborn had also attacked Segard, raided up and and down the sunset sea and declared their independence from Robert.  Why would he not get involved?

Why would Tywin refuse his son-in-laws help? Or tell him to not bother getting involved with the Ironborn renouncing their fealty to him?

Larger armies win with fewer caualties, there is not really much upside for Tywin to tell Robert to not get involved with one of his kingdoms declaring independence.

Do you recall that quote. I genuinely can't recall it

But that was not your claim, you said they were comatose with fear and could not protect themselves. Lannisport was fine at that time, what the Ironborn can and can not do does not change the fact of what actually happened in this instance.

Which has what to do with you said? I'm not denying that the Ironborn are capable.

And like I said before, depends entirely on how valid the reasons for such a war was and how much support Robert had.

oh, I have only seen some of those videos and while the art and voice acting are marvelous, and the stories engaging there are a lot of inconsistencies with the books.

edit: lol I wish I read your whole post first, I was using every combination of possible words in asearchoffireandice to find that quote

At least you worked it out, it's one of the stannis h&l on youtube "bla bla my brother robert ordered me to succeed where his father-in-law had failed bla bla..." but i can't prove it as canon so it's everyone's take really

18 hours ago, Tianzi said:

Ned tried to execute the Mountain. How well did that go?

Tywin wasn't stupid enough to declare war and march to it right off. He would probably stale for time, plot, negotiate, use the fact that the court was spiked with Lannister agents and one day Robert would wake up poisoned by his enemies or something. I mean, if betraying and having the guy killed wasn't too difficult for Cersei, then it wouldn't be to Tywin either, distance non-withstanding.

Sure, ploting murder is another matter, he wouldn't even need anyone but Cersei.... bed poisoning, tywin cries, cersei and the kids too, hail the new king...

I was just talking about a war confrontation without assassinations or plots of the kind

On 01/06/2016 at 1:52 PM, Nissa said:

Just adding to the above arguments, we saw in GoT a few times where Robert made it clear he did not have 'a choice' when choosing between the Lannisters or Ned. A couple of examples include the incident with Lady or when Ned told him not to make Jamie warden of the East etc.. 

On top of that Ned wasn't technically the hand and it was just another time when Robert sided with the Lannisters and Jamie had fled the city (as stated by @WilliamWesterosiWallace)

People really seem to miss the point here. Jaime wasn't executed because he fled. Only because he fled, and for no other reason. Robert would have to execute the murderer of three men and attempted murderer of the Warden of the North.

Archived