Arya vs. the Waif

WolfQueenArya

Just now, SerMixalot said:

Hound-months later

Arya-next day

See the difference?

Yes. The Hound we don't know the time frame but even a couple of days in the outdoors with uncleaned wounds would cause them to go septic. The assumption he was found just after Arya left him is just that, an assumption. It can't be claimed as a fact.

His wounds could have been less survivable than Arya's. You don't know they weren't.

Just now, Phill P said:

Yes. The Hound we don't know the time frame but even a couple of days in the outdoors with uncleaned wounds would cause them to go septic. The assumption he was found just after Arya left him is just that, an assumption. It can't be claimed as a fact.

His wounds could have been less survivable than Arya's. You don't know they weren't.

Correct but it illogical that someone would be mobile a day or 2 after being stabbed

More on the "realism." So it's one slash (no serious damage) and two stabs in the gut with a really short, thin blade. Good look at 1:12 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op4jJqm7ZXM

So what we see is that her bowels weren't perforated and therefore no serious damage was inflicted. I don't think Arya expected it to go down quite that way, but she survived and used the Waif's own shortcomings to lure her into her trap. Works for me.

2 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

If the bottle were important to Arya's already healing, why did Lady Crane have to retrieve it from the top shelf?  Seems something she would have on the night stand for use

I did say it was probably only to be used as a last resort, hence the worried look between the boy and Lady Crane. You don't keep last resorts immediately to hand, it makes them too tempting to use as first resorts.

Just now, SerMixalot said:

Correct but it illogical that someone would be mobile a day or 2 after being stabbed

As illogical as somebody being resurrected soon after being stabbed even more times?

Actually I'm sad we haven't seen Arya warging.

29 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

What you said was: " Are we really going to quibble about realism in a story about...[fantasy elements]"

Implying that the presence of fantasy elements negates the need for realism at all. I certainly do not think that they need to put up MRI images to prove that the stabs missed vital organs, nor did you specify any level of realism that you thought was unreasonable to quibble over in your original post. I did find this scene unrealistic to the extent that it took me out of it, but regardless, I find the tired argument that stories that involve fantasy or supernatural elements are immune from criticisms that involve logistics to be infuriating. 

I'm not saying it negates the need for realism entirely.  I am saying that given a story where wighwalkers were created by plunging obsidion into the heart of a man, and BenJen is saved by doing the same thing with much different results, I think it's being overly analytical to rip into an injured Aria being able to run and eventually kill the waif.

By the way, I didn't like the scene at all.  I found it unimaginative, and was hoping for a delicious twist, like Jaqen was playing Arya to bait the Waif or something cool like that.  I just would like to know where the line is between the incredible things that get a pass and the ones that get dissected.

7 minutes ago, joaozinm said:

blindness was just a "gift" for arya especifically? why?

It wasn't a gift. Arya was blinded as a punishment. If the Waif had never broken the rules the way Arya did, she would never have been punished that way. It fits with the Waif's smugness about her diligence and Arya's failure, which she never tired of rubbing in Arya's face.

I think Arya realised the Waif had always fought where there was both room to move and light to see by, and denied her both by trapping her in a small room in the dark. The irony of using a skill she had learned at her hands was just the icing on the cake.

Arya storyline had it's moments but,  too many just not sitting well with me.  This feels mishandled imo.  

Who knows, perhaps I just found it boring after a while.  If nothing else am glad she is leaving.  

In truth, if they could just have cut out all her storyline and D/D give that precious screen time to Bran or Jon that would have been great too. 

3 minutes ago, Phill P said:

It wasn't a gift. Arya was blinded as a punishment. If the Waif had never broken the rules the way Arya did, she would never have been punished that way. It fits with the Waif's smugness about her diligence and Arya's failure, which she never tired of rubbing in Arya's face.

I think Arya realised the Waif had always fought where there was both room to move and light to see by, and denied her both by trapping her in a small room in the dark. The irony of using a skill she had learned at her hands was just the icing on the cake.

I always thought that Arya going blind was a part of her training, like her developing her other senses.

11 minutes ago, HellasLEAF said:

Arya storyline had it's moments but,  too many just not sitting well with me.  This feels mishandled imo.  

Who knows, perhaps I just found it boring after a while.  If nothing else am glad she it leaving.  

In truth, if they could just have cut out all her storyline and D/D give that precious screen time to Bran or Jon that would have been great too. 

Yes. At the end of the day it seems like much ado about nothing and did not feel very satisfying. At least it ended a silly arc that was going nowhere. In both cases where the girls have gone off to learn what they need to - Dany and Arya - both have dragged.

I just find it ironic that people who have followed 5 books of deliberate obfuscation, misdirection, more red herrings than a Russian fish farm  and excessive use of the unreliable narrator as a framing device, then go and criticise the show for not spelling everything out.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I always thought that Arya going blind was a part of her training, like her developing her other senses.

In both the books and the show I believe the blindness was a punishment for killing someone she was not told to, but don't quote me on that. It fits though, if you can't focus on the objective you lose your eyes till you can.

24 minutes ago, Phill P said:

As illogical as somebody being resurrected soon after being stabbed even more times?

Actually I'm sad we haven't seen Arya warging.

Actually nope, not even close. Resurrection has been set up in the book/show universe. Thats how good plots work. You cannot compare a complete asspull with the in universe rules set up from book 1

16 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

I'm not saying it negates the need for realism entirely.  I am saying that given a story where wighwalkers were created by plunging obsidion into the heart of a man, and BenJen is saved by doing the same thing with much different results, I think it's being overly analytical to rip into an injured Aria being able to run and eventually kill the waif.

By the way, I didn't like the scene at all.  I found it unimaginative, and was hoping for a delicious twist, like Jaqen was playing Arya to bait the Waif or something cool like that.  I just would like to know where the line is between the incredible things that get a pass and the ones that get dissected.

You are arguing completely different things. Plot elements set right from book 1, where rules are set are not bad writing. Asspulls to save a favourite character without any foreshadowing is. One adds to the storyline, the other takes you away from the plot and makes you shake your head

Just now, Banjo said:

Actually nope, not even close. Resurrection has been set up in the book/show universe. Thats how good plots work. You cannot compare a complete asspull with the in universe rules set up from book 1

Why is the idea of accelerated healing more ridiculous than resurrection? And there were new characters introduced in book 5 which weren't set up beforehand. Suddenly we have previously unmentioned people with dragon blood when they've done nothing with one of them for 3 books.

Just now, Lord Lannister said:

Accelerated healing? Just say it's silly and move on. A lot in this episode was. :P

I'm quite happy to say it is both magic and silly. Just not inconsistent. Potions of Extra Healing are quite common in D&D.

Just now, Phill P said:

I'm quite happy to say it is both magic and silly. Just not inconsistent.

Remember kids. If you're ever stabbed repeatedly in the gut, just get stitched up, eat some bad chicken noodle soup, get a good night's sleep and you can participate in tomorrow's track tournament. :P

Archived