Arya vs. the Waif

WolfQueenArya

No other explanation than A=W theory makes sense to describe the last Arya scene

Bloodbag theory: Waay to risky, Waif could stab her in so many other places or poison her for that matter.

Jaquen as Arya theory: Why would he do that, no real reason has been presented.

WYSIWYG theory: Too strange. Would the production crew change the soundtrack just for fun? Would Arya forget Needle. No way.

Arya=Waif theory explains everything.

46 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

You should be able to post a link to the picture, it was oficially released by HBO, so it's not a crew shot or something, so as far as I know there is no problem with linking to it.  

It's the official released pic of the Waif standing on some stairs. Theirs a shadowy figure behind her. But the pic I saw had a pic of Syrio from season 1 beneath it. Wanted that one for the comparison. Will just try to link the official one. 

34 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

It's the official released pic of the Waif standing on some stairs. Theirs a shadowy figure behind her. But the pic I saw had a pic of Syrio from season 1 beneath it. Wanted that one for the comparison. Will just try to link the official one. 

its already been posted on the previous page.

I hate to say it, but could this just maybe be a time lapse thing from the end of episode 6 to the scene we got in episode 7? Perhaps after a few days of hiding, she thought the coast is clear. 

Not to mention we're thinking about this from the perspective of a rational adult. Arya the character is still very much a kid and while she's been through hell and back, it's still possible for her to make kid-like mistakes such as walking around Braavos in broad daylight. 

This still doesn't explain where needle was; maybe it was stashed away until she was ready to ship off. 

At this point I just want to see the next episode so we can see what really happens. The suspense building all week is killing me.

18 hours ago, 14ccKemistk said:

No other explanation than A=W theory makes sense to describe the last Arya scene

Bloodbag theory: Waay to risky, Waif could stab her in so many other places or poison her for that matter.

Jaquen as Arya theory: Why would he do that, no real reason has been presented.

WYSIWYG theory: Too strange. Would the production crew change the soundtrack just for fun? Would Arya forget Needle. No way.

Arya=Waif theory explains everything.

No explanation makes sense.  A=W is only being thrown out there because of that fact, but A=W is in fact more ridiculous than any other theory. 

I suspect a fairly simple twist such as Arya deliberately luring the Waif out and being less badly hurt than she seems.  I remember a quote where Maisie Williams said something like Arya uses the skills she has learned from the FM against them.  Hopefully this is the payoff for the slow Braavos storyline - she has actually picked up a lot more from her time in the HoBaW than is apparent from what we've been shown, which would be consistent with her character.  If I'm right there's still the difficulty that it was very risky for her to assume she would escape before being killed (bag of blood/leather armour theory regardless), plus as she climbed out of the river she seemed to be worried that she might not make it. 

17 hours ago, Arya_Stormborn said:

Benjen can be Coldhands in the show without being Coldhands in the books.

Benjen could also be Coldhands in the books now regardless of what Martin's thinking may have been 20 years ago - especially considering how many other things have changed from that first rough draft idea/manuscript.  We won't know until he tells us;)

5 minutes ago, Inigo Sand said:

I suspect a fairly simple twist such as Arya deliberately luring the Waif out and being less badly hurt than she seems.  I remember a quote where Maisie Williams said something like Arya uses the skills she has learned from the FM against them.  Hopefully this is the payoff for the slow Braavos storyline - she has actually picked up a lot more from her time in the HoBaW than is apparent from what we've been shown, which would be consistent with her character.  If I'm right there's still the difficulty that it was very risky for her to assume she would escape before being killed (bag of blood/leather armour theory regardless), plus as she climbed out of the river she seemed to be worried that she might not make it. 

For now, I'm just interpreting this as Arya being badly wounded in a botched assassination attempt by the Waif and that she'll get some sort of unexpected help so she survives. :dunno:

6 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

No explanation makes sense.  A=W is only being thrown out there because of that fact, but A=W is in fact more ridiculous than any other theory. 

Seriously. We've had two full seasons of Arya training for the FM. Should we really get nothing out of it but Arya realising that she is "good" and does not want to kill (maybe) innocent people? Think of it - two full seasons leading to nothing new. No, not likely. 

Like it or not, Arya IS becoming no one in the next episode.

41 minutes ago, 14ccKemistk said:

Seriously. We've had two full seasons of Arya training for the FM. Should we really get nothing out of it but Arya realising that she is "good" and does not want to kill (maybe) innocent people? Think of it - two full seasons leading to nothing new. No, not likely. 

Like it or not, Arya IS becoming no one in the next episode.

I'm not sure how that relates to my post, but I would disagree with that too as I think Arya is definitely heading back to Westeros, and the fact that she did not kill lady Crane and retrieved needle is pretty solid proof of that.  As for Arya being the waif, your post is a very good reason why that is not the case.  We have 2 season of the waif appearing both with Arya and Jaqen, in scenes that would make absolutely no sense for her to be Arya.

For now I'm going with Arya being deliberately conspicuous to draw the Waif out, but maybe miscalculating how badly she would be hurt.  A logical next step in Arya's character development is for her to become more self-reliant in the sense of not needing a figure such as the Hound or Jaqen to fall back on, and hopefully this is where she does it.  I might be completely wrong of course.  Not too long to find out.

I am going back to this link with the two truth a lie game of Sophie and Maisie  https://www.yahoo.com/tv/39-game-of-thrones-39-cast-plays-1413663106539574.html I will put spoiler tags even if it's confusing but at least 4 sentencenses are tue :-)

Spoiler

“Ramsay dies.” >> true, not in battle but later after imprisonement

“Lady Stoneheart returns.” >> false, The Hound may take the role but he cannot be called Lady Stoneheart...

“Arya checks three people off her list.” >> true by exclusion, means that all three Cersei, the Mountain and W.Frey will die that makes sense anyway.

Spoiler

“Arya goes to Westeros, back over the sea.” >> True, even if probably only in episode 10

“Arya doesn’t cross any more names off her list.” >> False, becouse of Sophie choices

“Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don’t realize it’s her.” >> True by exclusion

So it results that “Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don’t realize it’s her." is 90% true.

Now loking at the trailers again and again, given also the fact of what we have seen and we can foresee for the last 3 episodes, we can say that the only one carachter that could respect this sentence is actually the Waif. Hence giving to A=W a very high probability.

32 minutes ago, Marada78 said:

I am going back to this link with the two truth a lie game of Sophie and Maisie  https://www.yahoo.com/tv/39-game-of-thrones-39-cast-plays-1413663106539574.html I will put spoiler tags even if it's confusing but at least 4 sentencenses are tue :-)

Hide contents

“Ramsay dies.” >> true, not in battle but later after imprisonement

“Lady Stoneheart returns.” >> false, The Hound may take the role but he cannot be called Lady Stoneheart...

“Arya checks three people off her list.” >> true by exclusion, means that all three Cersei, the Mountain and W.Frey will die that makes sense anyway.

Hide contents

“Arya goes to Westeros, back over the sea.” >> True, even if probably only in episode 10

“Arya doesn’t cross any more names off her list.” >> False, becouse of Sophie choices

“Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don’t realize it’s her.” >> True by exclusion

So it results that “Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don’t realize it’s her." is 90% true.

Now loking at the trailers again and again, given also the fact of what we have seen and we can foresee for the last 3 episodes, we can say that the only one carachter that could respect this sentence is actually the Waif. Hence giving to A=W a very high probability.

I'm afraid that the logic here is unsound.  You have declared some things that false that there is no evidence for, and used that arbitrary choice to fuel other choices via mutual exclusion.

The actual case is that both statements about names crossed off Arya’s list are the false ones. Nothing says that one must be true and one false, and indeed, both are false.  It’s very tricky because the one she crosses off is the one she refused to say despite being prodded about it.  She could not receive word in time to cross any of the others off even were they to perish in the finale.

Archived