Arya vs. the Waif

WolfQueenArya

1 hour ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

The actual case is that both statements about names crossed off Arya’s list are the false ones. Nothing says that one must be true and one false, and indeed, both are false.  It’s very tricky because the one she crosses off is the one she refused to say despite being prodded about it.  She could not receive word in time to cross any of the others off even were they to perish in the finale.

If both statements about names crossed are false, since there is only one lies for each person, it means that  "Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized,.” is true anyway. You reached my same conclusion with another route ^_^ 

I still think Arya intended to draw the waif out. And totally buy into the blood bags and possible chainmail weighing her down and making it harder for her to swim. She also knew--from having fought her so many times--that the waif would want to make her suffer and likely go for the stomach.  Maybe Arya has deliberately led her to believe in training that this is a weak spot. And Arya would have blocked other moves. 

Could the un-Aryaness of her rich-man walk, her hairstyle, her throwing her money around possibly be D&D implying that she's wearing a different face whilst still showing us Arya? I need to rewatch the captain's reaction to her and who he's seeing. Her sending out huge overconfidence 'here I am come and get me'  signals to the waif would work in this scenario, I think.They'd want the viewer to see Arya. But maybe that's not who the people of Bravos are seeing hence the not dashing to help?

On 6/9/2016 at 8:39 PM, Arya_Stormborn said:

Benjen can be Coldhands in the show without being Coldhands in the books.

Yes, but book coldhands only brings Bran to the cave. Benjen may being him back and quite likely is undead like Coldhands.

On 6/10/2016 at 1:08 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

No explanation makes sense.  A=W is only being thrown out there because of that fact, but A=W is in fact more ridiculous than any other theory. 

I really don't see it happening. It isn't necessary for the plot and the show is very sparing with the magic.

One thing that I think folk are forgetting is the 'gratuitous' genital wart scene. I think that turns out to be more significant. May be a link to a healing capability. May be linked to the motive for murder.

12 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I'm afraid that the logic here is unsound.  You have declared some things that false that there is no evidence for, and used that arbitrary choice to fuel other choices via mutual exclusion.

The actual case is that both statements about names crossed off Arya’s list are the false ones. Nothing says that one must be true and one false, and indeed, both are false.  It’s very tricky because the one she crosses off is the one she refused to say despite being prodded about it.  She could not receive word in time to cross any of the others off even were they to perish in the finale.

Arya may cross the names off the list without killing them: Thoros, The Red Woman, Beric for example.

If she kills anyone then surely Walder Frey is the target.

21 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

How can A=W when the three of them have appeared in scenes together?

This makes zero sense to me.  It would make sense if the Kindly Man was playing Arya when the Waif stuck "her".

Simple, Jaqen can see the conflict that make Arya act as the waif and as herself. I am not saying that this is what happening , but to me is the only explanation that would not involve really bad writing or bad direction  (from the other explanations that I have seen)

" Death holds no sweetness in this house. We are not warriors, nor soldiers, nor swaggering bravos puffed up with pride. We do not kill to serve some lord, to fatten our purses, to stroke our vanity. We never give the gift to please ourselves. Nor do we choose the ones we kill. We are but servants of the God of Many Face"

- Kindly man

4 hours ago, Ser Rodrik Wyte said:

I cannot see the A=W myself either. I am more inclined to the theory that it was not Arya we see in E7 but a FM who is coaxing out The Waif. It seems to be the most logical explanation given the way Arya's appearance and actions change here.

f that was the case, why fake arya looked surprised and panicked when she was in the water? But writing ? But direction?

If that was the case, why fake arya looked surprised and panicked when she was in the water? Bad writing ? Bad direction?

(sorry for the double post the quote did not work in the previous one)

21 minutes ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

If that was the case, why fake arya looked surprised and panicked when she was in the water? Bad writing ? Bad direction?

(sorry for the double post the quote did not work in the previous one)

In case anyone was still watching. Part of the act.

Regarding the Arya looking surprised and panicked, I think that she is really trying to sell the deception that she's created (I subscribe to the purposeful risk of getting stabbed and using blood bags theory to lure the Waif into a false sense of security).  I believe it is all a trap set up for the Waif and that either Arya or Jaqen (or perhaps both) were behind the deception.  Can't wait for tonight's episode, in which I believe the Waif will get her comeuppance.

13 minutes ago, Phill P said:

In case anyone was still watching. Part of the act.

I agree.  Either Arya really got caught off-guard, which would surprise me, or if this is a ruse of some sort, with which I agree, whoever is playing the ruse has to play out an expected reaction by Arya as if she did get caught off-guard.  This holds both in the storyline and in directing the belief of the audience.

Of course the less hopeful theory I have is that Arya dies, and the Kindly Man orders the Waif to take on Arya's image and complete her list as atonement for making her suffer.  So we would see fArya to the end of the series (or the end of fArya)

22 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

Of course the less hopeful theory I have is that Arya dies, and the Kindly Man orders the Waif to take on Arya's image and complete her list as atonement for making her suffer.  So we would see fArya to the end of the series (or the end of fArya)

That would be awful. I hope not, and I don't think it fits dramatically anyway. I don't think Arya is destined to die, at least not yet.

I watched back through Arya's early storyline, was looking for any clue that Jaqen was Syrio and placed himself in that caged wagon with knowledge that Arya would be accompanying the recruits toward the wall to get out of KL.

the NW recruiter covered her eyes to avert her seeing her father's decapitation, then spirited her away to some back corner where he kept calling her "boy" and cut her hair, and gave her instructions how he was going to help her survive.  Then dragged her to the NW caravan, where Jaqen was already caged.  if Syrio=Jaqen, he didn't get himself arrested with the knowledge that Arya would be on the same caravan.  At least not with conventional knowledge.  I don't know whether FM have powers of prescience or not.

If I intended to write this story in such a way that S=J in a later reveal, and the whole journey was a mission to protect and train Arya, I would have left some foreshadowing, something that an astute viewer could look back and say "There it was!   Syrio is the same faceless man that put Arya on the caravan, then traveled along as a prisoner and looked after her at Harrenhall."  No such thing.  Instead of some recently introduced character that could be construed as a FM playing a part, we got a well established NW recruiter saving her, and Jaqen already encaged when that happens.

Not saying Syrio != Jaqen, just that if it is true, I don't think it was well written early on.

On June 5, 2016 at 8:39 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

But she just put it over her face, thats why she had to hide her face from Meryn, it didn't fit properly.

So you're saying the other actress who played Arya in disguise, has a non-fitting face? What?

It was another actress. Then a special effect. It is fascinating how our brains, imaginations, and expectations, see what it wants to see, to the point you were convinced you were seeing a mask - but go watch it again. There is no miss-fitting mask.

Arya knows how to use the faces just fine.

Archived