Arya vs. the Waif

WolfQueenArya

I think, that even as 'off' as the stabbing scene appeared.. it was what it was, the waif stabbed Arya. What happens next? Best guess is the waif gives chase, Jaqen intervenes, kills the waif & heals Arya. Arya then heads to Westeros and reunites with the Hound. Remember the scene a couple episodes back when Arya told the waif her kill list but left the Hound off? That was part forgiveness and part foreshadowing. Arya and the Hound reunite, put down the rogue members of the Brotherhood Without Banners then head over to the Twins for the Red Wedding Part Deux, Then it's off to Winterfell!!

8 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:
  Hide contents

You do realize that Martin and D&D have all said Syrio is dead, don't you?

I do. I also realize that Martin said that Benjen is not Coldhands and that D&D said that Jon Snow was definitely dead.

So take that as you will.

8 hours ago, ser poopypants said:

As I said, this would require it to be possible for the FM to wear the faces of the living as well as the dead. As for why the waif might wear Arya's face---perhaps in the hope of confusing her (or of creating a story of what "Arya" planned to do for Jaqen's benefit). I don't think any of this is likely, by the way--just no more unlikely than some of the other explanations....

Yeah it wouldn't make any sense for the waif to confuse her with her own face. The moment Arya saw someone with her face, she would know something was up and take off. The only "non-Arya" theory that makes any sense is that Jaqen was wearing her face to test the waif. I don't believe that one either though, I think Arya just got stabbed.

After thinking a lot about it, I decided to embrace the theory that Arya and the Waif are the SAME person (like fight club) it is the only explanation other than very bad writing.

When Arya fell in the water she panicked and she was shocked. This kills the theory that she was Jaqen , This also kills the theory that she faked and the blood was from a purse or something

For her to be stabbed, and be healed by the actress, that would be bad writing because of the extensive damage produced by a stab like that.

So I go with the idea the Arya and the Waif represent the dilema that Arya is going through, to become no one or to remain Arya.

(Added: This theory is not originally mine, other people here wrote about that)

I guess until the episode airs I will have to consider this great writing. Why? Because I have no idea where this is heading and there are several possibilities that make sense.

Was it Arya that was stabbed, if so it's bad especially due to the twisting of the blade, it should be fatal

Was she really stabbed or was is fake blood

Was it actually Jaqen posing as her, the mannerisms were all wrong for Arya, right handed, and no needle

Was it actually Lady Crane posing as her, as a favor, again, the mannerisms were all wrong for Arya, right handed and no needle, and her size would make sense as compared to Arya 

Is it Fight club all over again and the Waif is Arya

So I will have to decide after I see it play out.

Why would Jaquen "test" the Waif? The storyline has not been about their relationship at all.

A=W theory is the most reasonable one as things stand right now. And please please, no Syrio ex machina, he hasn't been even mentioned since his presumed defeat in S01.

9 minutes ago, 14ccKemistk said:

Why would Jaquen "test" the Waif? The storyline has not been about their relationship at all.

A=W theory is the most reasonable one as things stand right now. And please please, no Syrio ex machina, he hasn't been even mentioned since his presumed defeat in S01.

To be fair he was mentioned in 2x10 when Arya was given the coin by Jaqen.

He also was on that show someone posed above right after last weeks episode, and his comments were very odd. Like he slipped up on something.

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

I guess until the episode airs I will have to consider this great writing. Why? Because I have no idea where this is heading and there are several possibilities that make sense.

Was it Arya that was stabbed, if so it's bad especially due to the twisting of the blade, it should be fatal

Was she really stabbed or was is fake blood

Was it actually Jaqen posing as her, the mannerisms were all wrong for Arya, right handed, and no needle

Was it actually Lady Crane posing as her, as a favor, again, the mannerisms were all wrong for Arya, right handed and no needle, and her size would make sense as compared to Arya 

Is it Fight club all over again and the Waif is Arya

So I will have to decide after I see it play out.

I don't think D&D are going to throw the fight club angle in there, it's way too out of character for this show.

I think more than likely, Arya will kill the Waif, and out of respect for her toughness, Jaqen will reveal the mega super ultra Faceless Man healing technique, which would explain why they seem to be basically unstoppable.

49 minutes ago, Xarkar said:

New HBO pictures released today of the upcoming episode.... one in perticular is interesting...

Who could this be behind the Waif...

Interesting!

I brightened the picture up a whole lot in the hopes of making out more detail of the man behind her.  Hoping that maybe I could see some facial features to find out if it is really Syrio.  I wasn't able to tell.  But doing this, it does appear that the man has his back to the waif (instead of sneaking up behind her, as I first thought)... for what it's worth. 

22 minutes ago, A Time for Starks said:

Interesting!

I brightened the picture up a whole lot in the hopes of making out more detail of the man behind her.  Hoping that maybe I could see some facial features to find out if it is really Syrio.  I wasn't able to tell.  But doing this, it does appear that the man has his back to the waif (instead of sneaking up behind her, as I first thought)... for what it's worth. 

Im sure that it is not Syrio.  Just a bit convenient that he was on a show talking about GOT after last episode, then they release this, and his whole backstory was never really fleshed out.

The blood bag theory seems to be a stretch given how long the sword was and how clearly it was going into her. 

The JH theory is plausible but it would be a pretty strange twist IMO. 

I definitely think the scene was strange the way she just stopped like that as if she was waiting for something to happen in a very un-Arya type of way. That could just be awkward writing though.

No matter what I think it is hard to imagine Arya getting out of this without some serious help. 

6 hours ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

After thinking a lot about it, I decided to embrace the theory that Arya and the Waif are the SAME person (like fight club) it is the only explanation other than very bad writing.

When Arya fell in the water she panicked and she was shocked. This kills the theory that she was Jaqen , This also kills the theory that she faked and the blood was from a purse or something

For her to be stabbed, and be healed by the actress, that would be bad writing because of the extensive damage produced by a stab like that.

So I go with the idea the Arya and the Waif represent the dilema that Arya is going through, to become no one or to remain Arya.

(Added: This theory is not originally mine, other people here wrote about that)

Maybe, I was just going over Maisie's two truths and a lie, and one of the lines was that we see Arya far more times that we realize in the trailer. 

Arya's Braavos story having been one long hallucination is very, very far out of the tone and feel of GOT.  I think this is highly, highly unlikely.

Slightly more likely, it could have been Jaqen posing as Arya, but that is also pretty silly.  I still vote most likely is that Arya was attempting to draw out Bobcut, hope to fake her own death and thereby be out from under the FM.  

I think the core oddity is the stab wound is not survivable without crappy plot turns. So unless the plot craps, that wasn't Arya. One thing just might add up is when she was blind she did training with herbs/ chemicals. That could mean trance, to control someone else so they can wear her face. Ive seen stuff on boards saying yes a living face can be used (show not book).

On 6/8/2016 at 3:14 PM, Smoke317 said:

Not if Syrio changed his face became Jaq'en and got locked in the black cells...  Lol. Seriously I know that ship has sailed but damn that would have been great storytelling and gave Arya's story a sense of purpose & cohesion...  Like why is Jaq'en so enamored with Arya in the first place?   Because he's Syrio...  Would tie up the whole Braavos storyline very well...  Now, it's very hard to figure out what the purpose of Arya and the FM is...  Do they really want Arya to be "no one"?  Or do they have a bigger plan for her as Arya Stark?

Supposedly he was seen on a set during season 6 filming. Someone on a thread over at WotW said that on the British after-show called Thronecast last week, the actor that played (plays?) Syrio was a guest and appeared to slip up and say that Syrio is "very familiar with THoBaW". This show episode isn't available online yet, so I haven't been able to confirm, but in an interview at a comicon last fall [edit, my mistake, this was just before season 3, sorry] the same actor kept speaking about his role as Syrio in the present tense. 

Also, we know that the actor that plays Ja'qen said that his meeting Arya was not random. Ja'qen is supposedly a highly trained, skilled Faceless Man, so how did he end up in the black dungeons in KL? We never saw Syrio die. He could have escaped. Or, he could have  "surrendered" and ended up in the dungeons, then changed his face to "Ja'qen."

15 hours ago, TheGreenBell said:

Syrio, anyone? 

POTENTIAL SPOILER:

Hide contents

So Syrio has a strong relationship with them, with the house black and white, isn't it?
Well yea, well no, eh no, I don't know, eh, with Bravos yes

Yay! I couldn't find this online, thanks! Major slip-up there!!!!!

Archived