Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aegonzo The Great

Arya CAN change her face like a Faceless Man

Recommended Posts

I've been seeing a lot of people on here saying that Arya hasn't yet learned how to change her face, but it seems you've forgotten she's already done it.

Flash back to when she killed Meryn Trant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4O9IWLoABU

She was clearly wearing another face so Trant did not recognize her, and is shown returning the face at the end. Addditionally, she also knows how to harvest faces. What this means in regards to what's going to happen to Arya after last episode, I have no idea, but I'm willing to bet it factors in somehow. I've long had a theory that Jaime is going to die in the Riverlands and Arya, who is there to perform at the Frey wedding, will harvest his face and use it to get close to/kill Cersei, so that seems to be very much in play.

But the bottom line is: She does know how to change her face, an extremely useful and deadly skill. Now, if only Jaqen can teach her the Faceless Man super healing technique before she bleeds out...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She put that face over her own, she did not apply any magic.  It did not fit properly, and she couldn't just rotate through the faces and remove them without the actual physical face coming off like the waif/jaqen.  Watch the scene where the waif stabs Arya, how she just kind of removes the face and it vanishes, whereas in the scene where she kills trant it is the physical face and it fits hers loosely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She can, but way less skillfully than Jaqen and the waif. There seems to be a trick or two about face changing that Jaqen hasn't taught Arya and probably would never

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Just watched the scene. The face definitely fit properly. 

Because it's not a mask, it's a person. A different actress and that's a special effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Because it's not a mask, it's a person. A different actress and that's a special effect.

Exactly. They showed the extent that the mask fit perfectly by using a different actress rather than Maisie wearing a clunky ill fitting mask...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Exactly. They showed the extent that the mask fit perfectly by using a different actress rather than Maisie wearing a clunky ill fitting mask...

^agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

She put that face over her own, she did not apply any magic.  It did not fit properly, and she couldn't just rotate through the faces and remove them without the actual physical face coming off like the waif/jaqen.  Watch the scene where the waif stabs Arya, how she just kind of removes the face and it vanishes, whereas in the scene where she kills trant it is the physical face and it fits hers loosely.

But in the scene, you can see her character looking up defiantly at Trant before he punches her in the stomach. If she were just wearing a skin mask, wouldn't he have noticed?

All signs point to the fact she has already at least partially mastered how to change her face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LyannaKuku said:

She can, but way less skillfully than Jaqen and the waif. There seems to be a trick or two about face changing that Jaqen hasn't taught Arya and probably would never

I think this is true. It's sort of like how for most of us, the cakes we bake at home won't look anything like a cake you buy at the bakery. Doesn't mean we can't bake cakes, but we don't have the technique down like a master baker.

I'm also not sure I agree with "probably would never". This episode is called "No One", after all. We'll see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

But in the scene, you can see her character looking up defiantly at Trant before he punches her in the stomach. If she were just wearing a skin mask, wouldn't he have noticed?

All signs point to the fact she has already at least partially mastered how to change her face.

She has definitely mastered wearing faces, which is why they used another actress to look up at Trant, instead of a silly mask. That was established last season. 

 

Just now, Aegonzo The Great said:

 

I'm also not sure I agree with "probably would never". This episode is called "No One", after all. We'll see what happens.

Arya will have passed her first major test of being a Faceless Man either by the end of this episode, or the season. 

There has to be a reason they showed us last season that you can wear multiple faces at a time, and that the Faceless Men can wear faces of living people, hence Arya's face on the multi-faced corpse....that will come into play at some point, and may be the way they eventually take over Kings Landing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hodor knows said:

I doubt Arya could gain the necessary foot of height and hundred pounds of bulk to make use of Jaime's face.

On the show, wearing a face, when done properly, seems to be nearly akin to Mel's glamoring magic. We've seen Jaqen change into an older, slightly bulkier black man by just wearing his face, and we've seen Jaqen and the Waif exchange faces and bodies. So if this is the case, Arya, should she master the magic of wearing faces, would be able to pass for Jaime no problem... Except for the missing right hand, which I think is going to be Cersei's moment of dawning realization before Arya strangles her, thus fulfilling the "Valonqar" prophecy.

 

And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.[2]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arya was not No One when she took the face - and still is not No One. 'To Someone, the faces are as good as poison.' So it seems to me Arya should not be able to change faces, at least with no repercussions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, y100dude said:

Arya was not No One when she took the face - and still is not No One. 'To Someone, the faces are as good as poison.' So it seems to me Arya should not be able to change faces, at least with no repercussions.

Yea so if she isn't allowed to use faces to kill then what was the point of the story line? Just IMO story would have been better if she was trained in the art of assassination using faces and then taking that skill back to home. She never learned to switch faces and is forbidden to kill out of revenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The truth is that the show did the scene of all those faces changing including Arya's face because they thought it was cool.  They had Arya drink the water that only hurt 'someone' because of reasons.

Expecting that the faces are they magic or have to be cut off issue will resolve at all or even matters to the show is a fool's errand.  They're not going to resolve it, it's irrelevant, the internal inconsistencies between the scene last year and everything shown this year are not important to the show.

The answer is, there is no answer unless you make it up yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me, or does Jaqen H'ghar smile when Arya leaves the temple of Black and White??  I can't help but notice that when the Waif beats the crap outta Arya she keeps saying that "you'll never be one of us" and Jaqen says "she has a point" and then in other conversations with Arya about the first faceless men, that they were literally no one.  Slaves.  I also noted in a convo with Arya when she is asking about Lady Crane, Jaqen says servants don't ask questions.  Arya is nobility and Jaqen knows it which means that she is not nor will she ever be no one.  It's almost like Arya is the instrument of the god of death that Jaqen knew he had to create??  Arya is the piece on the chessboard of the many faced god.  Just my theory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2016 at 10:18 PM, Bimmerella said:

Is it just me, or does Jaqen H'ghar smile when Arya leaves the temple of Black and White??  I can't help but notice that when the Waif beats the crap outta Arya she keeps saying that "you'll never be one of us" and Jaqen says "she has a point" and then in other conversations with Arya about the first faceless men, that they were literally no one.  Slaves.  I also noted in a convo with Arya when she is asking about Lady Crane, Jaqen says servants don't ask questions.  Arya is nobility and Jaqen knows it which means that she is not nor will she ever be no one.  It's almost like Arya is the instrument of the god of death that Jaqen knew he had to create??  Arya is the piece on the chessboard of the many faced god.  Just my theory.  

He did smile. I wondered about that. Maybe he knows he'll see Arya again? Who knows, but it seemed very out of character for him to be perfectly ok with Arya just breaking her vows and storming off.

About the only thing I can think is there's some secret pact whereby if you kill the Faceless Man sent to kill you, you are free to go. But that's just me trying to rationalize the scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×