Varys knows Arya's whereabouts.

1 hour ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

Varys tells Tyrion he arranged for Gendry to be taken to safety,  looking back I recently realised it was probably Ned who did it. Ned asks Varys to deliver a letter for him in the black cells,  and Varys warns him he'll read it. I'm guessing the letter includes instructions that Gendry should go with Yoren, and a hint that Arya escaped the castle, probably subtle. I assume Varys would get that hint,  and be aware of the possibility of Arya travelling with Yoren. 

After that I don't know. The FM, and Varys are both still too confusing to figure out. I don't really exclude the possibility that they work together yet,  but I can't really see how they work together either. They both do hate magic though. It's something I'm keeping in the back of my mind,  and I'll keep seeing Varys 's likely knowledge of Arya's departure from KL as an interesting find. 

Well at least till she leaves KL or when Yoren dies. After that he could only have some knowledge of be would be in league with the FM, which I see as a small possibility,  but don't take for granted. 

In that case he'd lose track of her after Jaqen left Harrenhal, and know her whereabouts again when she takes ship to Braavos I guess. But again I see this only as a small possibility. 

I agree that Eddard was the reason Gendry ended up with Yoren, but why do you suppose Eddard knew that Arya escaped the castle? 

1 hour ago, rhoynestar said:

Possibly. Also many have argued Varys knew about Gendry from the beginning and was looking out for him, since someone paid Tohbo Mott double the apprentice fee to take him on. I would put my money on this someone being Varys since he usually took care of Robert's bastards anyway (for example he sends Edric Storm presents from Robert). Both Ned and Varys may have had a hand in Gendry's escape. 

Varys has links to Essos since he grew up there, and is close to/cooperates with Ilyrio Mopatis. Littlefinger, on the other hand, is mostly based in Westeros, which makes me think Varys would be the one person in the Red Keep to have any FM links. I think Syrio being in the Red Keep, Jaqen exiting with Yoren, and Varys not making any noise about it, is strong circumstantial evidence of FM-Varys ties. 

All this is pretty much theorizing of course. Hopefully we get to see some more on this before the show ends. 

I think Varys was the one taking care of Gendry as well. He might have arranged for Gendry to be taken care of on his own,  but I think this was also in the letter Ned wanted to write. As well as the information that his daughter escaped the Red Keep. 

Yeah this is also exactly why I consider possible ties between Varys and the FM, the combination of things just doesn't entirely add up... 

32 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Of course this is possible, but I have my doubts. Arya was pretty inconspicuous wandering around KL in the time before she left with Yoren; she was just one dirty orphan, among hundreds (maybe thousands,) But that is the least of my doubts because I think there is a good chance that Vary's ability to obtain information goes beyond normal human ability... I think he is a warg. But I wont get into that now.

My main gripe is that if he knew, he didn't act on that info. Arya would be a valuable prize to have, and to allow her to wander alone through the war-torn Riverlands would just be a waste. She could have died half a hundred times. What good is it to have knowledge and do nothing. I don't think Varys would have left her unsupervised. 

Unless he is in with the FM (something I wouldn't dismiss,) Then you could disregard the previous paragraph.

Additionally, there is this question: It is easy to imagine how Vary could know: informants, magic powers, etc... But what indication is there that he did know?

I don't know if he had an eye on her while she was wondering around KL. Perhaps he didn't really care. 

The point is that Arya would be a valuable hostage to Cersei,  but not to Varys. He has his own agenda and it isn't always what's best for Cersei. 

I think Varys is the kind of person who throws lines out,  and then waits to see where the fish bite. He might have an idea what suits him where Arya ends up,  but doesn't care enough,  and isn't w willing to risk much to make sure it actually happens. He really is a player. He moves around pieces on a chessboard,  but if he loses one he doesn't mind,  he just moves another piece. He doesn't really put that much effort into keeping Dany safe,  does he? Or Viserys... Even Aegon isn't really hidden in a way that nothing can go wrong... 

If we assume that Varys is in league with the FM, and for some reason they really want Arya to join them at some point (none of which is certain obviously).  then apparently he sent Jaqen with them in order to have him give Arya the coin. Jaqen doesn't make sure she's really safe either,  but he does give her the coin,  apparently expecting her to survive and be able to get to Braavos at some point. Or not. Nobody seems to care enough to make sure it actually happens. 

40 minutes ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

I think Varys is the kind of person who throws lines out,  and then waits to see where the fish bite. He might have an idea what suits him where Arya ends up,  but doesn't care enough,  and isn't w willing to risk much to make sure it actually happens. He really is a player. He moves around pieces on a chessboard,  but if he loses one he doesn't mind,  he just moves another piece. He doesn't really put that much effort into keeping Dany safe,  does he? Or Viserys... Even Aegon isn't really hidden in a way that nothing can go wrong...

Agreed. Varys and a lot of these "background players" just sort of nudge things along, but leave a lot up to fate. And they will hedge their bets - bet on both sides. Varys is probably supporting a lot of contenders for the Iron Throne/political power at the same time, and waiting to see who comes up on top. I see the Iron Bank, FM, and many others doing the same. A good way to survive, IMO, in this world. 

51 minutes ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

I don't know if he had an eye on her while she was wondering around KL. Perhaps he didn't really care. 

The point is that Arya would be a valuable hostage to Cersei,  but not to Varys. He has his own agenda and it isn't always what's best for Cersei. 

If we assume that Varys is in league with the FM, and for some reason they really want Arya to join them at some point (none of which is certain obviously).  then apparently he sent Jaqen with them in order to have him give Arya the coin. Jaqen doesn't make sure she's really safe either,  but he does give her the coin,  apparently expecting her to survive and be able to get to Braavos at some point. Or not. Nobody seems to care enough to make sure it actually happens. 

All of of this is only speculation. But what hint or indication is there that he knows.

I don't think Varys is careless with his resources. If he has a valuable source or contact, he would protect it.

Arya is an extremely valuable piece for a "player" to have, and keep. She is in the line of succession to Winterfell. Why would Varys allow her to walk into the hands of someone who might use her to benefit themselves? No way.

As far as him not keeping Dany or Visery's safe, you could not be more wrong. True they can't be protected from themselves, but Varys and Illyrio set them up with an army. Visery's was an IDIOT but he should have been safe with Khal Drogo. Varys set them up with Ser Jorah. And then sent her Barristan Selmy, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and one of the greatest knights of all time.

As for Aegon,...Griff, Rolly, the golden company...

Back to the point. Arya is valuable. Letting her wander off would be a very poor decision.

9 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

All of of this is only speculation. But what hint or indication is there that he knows.

I don't think Varys is careless with his resources. If he has a valuable source or contact, he would protect it.

Arya is an extremely valuable piece for a "player" to have, and keep. She is in the line of succession to Winterfell. Why would Varys allow her to walk into the hands of someone who might use her to benefit themselves? No way.

As far as him not keeping Dany or Visery's safe, you could not be more wrong. True they can't be protected from themselves, but Varys and Illyrio set them up with an army. Visery's was an IDIOT but he should have been safe with Khal Drogo. Varys set them up with Ser Jorah. And then sent her Barristan Selmy, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and one of the greatest knights of all time.

Back to the point. Arya is valuable. Letting her wander off would be a very poor decision.

Where would be keep Arya? In the walls of the Red Keep? In the black cells? I guess he could ship her off to Illyrio,  but to what end? Why exactly would she be valuable to him? If things would have gone according to plan,  Ned would've been sent to the wall and Arya would have arrived in Winterfell. She was supposed to be relatively safe with Yoren and Ned. The war would have ended (Varys's wish), but Cersei's grip on the north would've been weaker with only Sansa as a hostage,  so it would be easier to rouse the north again when Varys was ready for war. By killing Sansa for example. Only things went differently,  and Arya wasn't as safe in Yoren's company as expected. 

There is no proof Varys knew,  but it's likely. I don't think Yoren would've been looking for her if he hadn't known she was outside the Red Keep. And Varys showed a particular interest in Ned,  meaning he would have spies in his walls at all times. It's really not that far fetched to speculate about. I've seen many theories based on much less. 

19 minutes ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

Where would be keep Arya? In the walls of the Red Keep? In the black cells? I guess he could ship her off to Illyrio,  but to what end? Why exactly would she be valuable to him? If things would have gone according to plan,  Ned would've been sent to the wall and Arya would have arrived in Winterfell. She was supposed to be relatively safe with Yoren and Ned. The war would have ended (Varys's wish), but Cersei's grip on the north would've been weaker with only Sansa as a hostage,  so it would be easier to rouse the north again when Varys was ready for war. By killing Sansa for example. Only things went differently,  and Arya wasn't as safe in Yoren's company as expected. 

There is no proof Varys knew,  but it's likely. I don't think Yoren would've been looking for her if he hadn't known she was outside the Red Keep. And Varys showed a particular interest in Ned,  meaning he would have spies in his walls at all times. It's really not that far fetched to speculate about. I've seen many theories based on much less. 

Yoren was at the Sept because the original plan was for Ned to take the Black. Joffrey spoiled that.

If you are wondering how she could be valuable. Look at why the Bolton's wanted her. She could be used as a hostage. She is valuable to him for all the same reason's that she would be valuable to anyone. She can be married off to someone or leveraged as a hostage. Even if he didn't want to do either of those things, why let her fall into the hands of a potential enemy how would strengthen their position by having her.

15 minutes ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

Varys is the Many-faced God.

:laugh:

6 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Yoren was at the Sept because the original plan was for Ned to take the Black. Joffrey spoiled that.

If you are wondering how she could be valuable. Look at why the Bolton's wanted her. She could be used as a hostage. She is valuable to him for all the same reason's that she would be valuable to anyone. She can be married off to someone or leveraged as a hostage. Even if he didn't want to do either of those things, why let her fall into the hands of a potential enemy how would strengthen their position by having her.

Varys likes to do things in ways that don't show his meddling. Keeping a hostage of his own and marrying her off is a difficult thing to hide. 

He might want to have the north on his side when he starts his war, giving them one of the girls could help with that,  and it weakens Cersei's position.  Joffrey spoiled that indeed.

We don't know exactly why Varys does things,  and assuming he can't have done or known one thing,  because he hasn't done another doesn't really work,  because we don't know his exact goals yet,  or how he wants to reach them. 

We do know he does lots of little things that don't always make sense from the start,  so it's interesting to speculate about things he could be involved with,  and I think this is not one of the most unlikely scenarios to speculate about. 

1 hour ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

I think you are wrong about Varys trying to keep Dany or Viserys safe. Illyrio knew what Dothraki are and he knew what kind of person Viserys was, anyone who spent any time with him would know. Dany and Viserys were intended to be a red herring, something to keep Robert and any other Westerosi lord busy . They were intended to be a distraction where Robert will send his assassins, armies and such to keep away. While, (f)Aegon and Golden company would gather in complete secret since all spies and rumors will be flying about Targaryens and bloodthirsty horde.

The longer Dany and Viserys kept Westeros distracted the better, so Varys did all he could to keep them alive by sending incompetent assassins, but hey if one succeeds, no biggie. Illyrio and Varys knew that Khal Drogo assumed that Dany was Pentos' tribute and not payment for his armies, since thats what Dorthraki do. They knew that Viserys was stupid, impulsive and crazy that would eventually provoke the Khal to kill him. They didn't pay attention to Dany at all, and considered her pliable weak sacrificial lamb.  Did they want Dothraki invade Westeros, weaken Westerosi army and then eventually be defeated by (f)Aegon and Golden Co. and be heralded as True Targaryens and saviors, they certainly did. Did they know the chances of Dothraki actually getting on the boats in "poison waters" short of holy revelation (that Dany's dragons would be),  was slim, they did.

20 minutes ago, Masha said:

I think you are wrong about Varys trying to keep Dany or Viserys safe. Illyrio knew what Dothraki are and he knew what kind of person Viserys was, anyone who spent any time with him would know. Dany and Viserys were intended to be a red herring, something to keep Robert and any other Westerosi lord busy . They were intended to be a distraction where Robert will send his assassins, armies and such to keep away. While, (f)Aegon and Golden company would gather in complete secret since all spies and rumors will be flying about Targaryens and bloodthirsty horde.

The longer Dany and Viserys kept Westeros distracted the better, so Varys did all he could to keep them alive by sending incompetent assassins, but hey if one succeeds, no biggie. Illyrio and Varys knew that Khal Drogo assumed that Dany was Pentos' tribute and not payment for his armies, since thats what Dorthraki do. They knew that Viserys was stupid, impulsive and crazy that would eventually provoke the Khal to kill him. They didn't pay attention to Dany at all, and considered her pliable weak sacrificial lamb.  Did they want Dothraki invade Westeros, weaken Westerosi army and then eventually be defeated by (f)Aegon and Golden Co. and be heralded as True Targaryens and saviors, they certainly did. Did they know the chances of Dothraki actually getting on the boats in "poison waters" short of holy revelation (that Dany's dragons would be),  was slim, they did.

Yes, all this. They also places Jorah with Dany and Viserys as a spy,  not a protector, and they didn't expect Dany to survive long between the Dothraki. 

21 minutes ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

:laugh:

Varys likes to do things in ways that don't show his meddling. Keeping a hostage of his own and marrying her off is a difficult thing to hide. 

He might want to have the north on his side when he starts his war, giving them one of the girls could help with that,  and it weakens Cersei's position.  Joffrey spoiled that indeed.

We don't know exactly why Varys does things,  and assuming he can't have done or known one thing,  because he hasn't done another doesn't really work,  because we don't know his exact goals yet,  or how he wants to reach them. 

We do know he does lots of little things that don't always make sense from the start,  so it's interesting to speculate about things he could be involved with,  and I think this is not one of the most unlikely scenarios to speculate about. 

It's absolutely worth speculation. But I don;t believe Varys would let Arya go. She is too valuable for all of the reasons, I've already mentioned. He doesn't need to take Arya and use her immediately. Look how long he claims to have sat of Aegon/Young Griff.

Humor me by engaging in a though experiment.

If Varys knew where Arya was, why not get her for the Lannisters? If your answer is that he doesn't want them to have her, why allow her to wander through the Riverlands while it's crawling with Lannisters.

Whatever Varys intentions, he has a stake in Westeros. At the time she went missing, the North was in Revolt and soon declared Robb King in the North. That's nearly half the Realm. Arya would very helpful in bringing the North to heel. If Varys has her, that bargaining chip would be his. He doesn't need to be doing the negotiating or marrying or whatever himself. Look how he handled Tyrion.

Maybe he knew where she was and tried to get her, but lost the chance...

33 minutes ago, Masha said:

This is a good point. That may have been the way things were when they got started. I would say that after Dany begin to gain momentum, they began supporting her.

41 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

It's absolutely worth speculation. But I don;t believe Varys would let Arya go. She is too valuable for all of the reasons, I've already mentioned. He doesn't need to take Arya and use her immediately. Look how long he claims to have sat of Aegon/Young Griff.

If Varys knew where Arya was, why not get her for the Lannisters? If your answer is that he doesn't want them to have her, why allow her to wander through the Riverlands while it's crawling with Lannisters.

Whatever Varys intentions, he has a stake in Westeros. At the time she went missing, the North was in Revolt and soon declared Robb King in the North. That's nearly half the Realm. Arya would very helpful in bringing the North to heel. If Varys has her, that bargaining chip would be his. He doesn't need to be doing the negotiating or marrying or whatever himself. Look how he handled Tyrion.

This is a good point. That may have been the way things were when they got started. I would say that after Dany begin to gain momentum, they began supporting her.

I don't see any connection between Varys and Arya and only scant one between Varys and FM, other than usual - paying for death. I would welcome any info to the contrary.

I do see FM connected with Bloodraven who would like Arya to be trained and taken care of, in his plans. 

1 minute ago, Masha said:

I don't see any connection between Varys and Arya and only scant one between Varys and FM, other than usual - paying for death. I would welcome any info to the contrary.

I do see FM connected with Bloodraven who would like Arya to be trained and taken care of, in his plans. 

I think it is unlikely that Varys knew Arya's whereabouts (coming out of KL.) My primary basis for thinking this is that I think he would have snatched her up if he could.

Please elaborate about the connection between Bloodraven and the Faceless Men? I completely missed that...

13 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

I think it is unlikely that Varys knew Arya's whereabouts (coming out of KL.) My primary basis for thinking this is that I think he would have snatched her up if he could.

Please elaborate about the connection between Bloodraven and the Faceless Men? I completely missed that...

Its implied that Bloodraven (and now Bran) can see thru weirwood trees anywhere they exist.

The whole FM council which Arya overhears (or serves as cupbearer to them, I don't remember but it was from her POV), where they basically go over their kill list and business they all sit on chairs made from from Weirwood trees

So, for me that means that at very least Bloodraven is spying on FM, at most, they work together. 

47 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

He didn't expect the war to go on. Ned was to take the black,  Robb would bend the knee,  and Tywin would pull back his army. She should have been relatively safe with Yoren. Only things went differently. 

Giving her to Cersei would also increase the risk that she would betray his secret passage to Cersei,  and his plotting against the crown. Now if she'd be safely back in Winterfell or killed on the way,  there's little reason to think she'd ever give a comprehensive account of that adventure,  that betrays him and his plans. 

One the most interesting things about Varys is that he knows almost everything,  but chooses to tell very little. He lets a lot of things happen without doing anything about them,  and often you find out much later he knew about it. 

Why doesn't he tell Ned/Cat that the dagger was Robert's if he wanted to prevent the war/Tyrion's arrest? 

I very seriously doubt Varys knew of Arya's whereabouts in KL.  She was desperately trying to make friends with other children, hoping for a place in someone's house.  If Varys knew where she was, it would have been simple to have one of his child spies approach her and to arrange for a place.  He identity would not have to be revealed.  I do suspect that he advised Yoren that she was loose and to keep an eye out for her.

I recently reread the scene where she accidentaly leaves the Red Keep.  She exits through a sewer pipe, with sewage up to her knees (I think).  This would suggest it is not a popular exit route, and may be one of many outlets.  I doubt he would have kept it monitored, since he had every expectation she would be taken into custody by Ser Meryn.  By the time that failed, it would have been too late. 

I seriously doubt Jaqen was actively recruiting her.  At the time he gave her the coin, there was every expectation that she would be reuniting with her family, probably at Riverrun.  Hell, I though that would happen.  (I read ACOK when it was first released)  Even when she left the Hound and took a ship, her initial destination was the Wall.  It was only because that was out of reach that she went to Braavos.  Jaqen may have thought it was possible for her to go to the House of Black & White, but I doubt he thought it was likely.

32 minutes ago, Masha said:

Its implied that Bloodraven (and now Bran) can see thru weirwood trees anywhere they exist.

The whole FM council which Arya overhears (or serves as cupbearer to them, I don't remember but it was from her POV), where they basically go over their kill list and business they all sit on chairs made from from Weirwood trees

So, for me that means that at very least Bloodraven is spying on FM, at most, they work together. 

Or maybe it means they are tapping the same or a similar power. We know the stump remembers but does a piece of wood cut from the tree? 

47 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I very seriously doubt Varys knew of Arya's whereabouts in KL.  She was desperately trying to make friends with other children, hoping for a place in someone's house.  If Varys knew where she was, it would have been simple to have one of his child spies approach her and to arrange for a place.  He identity would not have to be revealed.  I do suspect that he advised Yoren that she was loose and to keep an eye out for her.

I recently reread the scene where she accidentaly leaves the Red Keep.  She exits through a sewer pipe, with sewage up to her knees (I think).  This would suggest it is not a popular exit route, and may be one of many outlets.  I doubt he would have kept it monitored, since he had every expectation she would be taken into custody by Ser Meryn.  By the time that failed, it would have been too late. 

I seriously doubt Jaqen was actively recruiting her.  At the time he gave her the coin, there was every expectation that she would be reuniting with her family, probably at Riverrun.  Hell, I though that would happen.  (I read ACOK when it was first released)  Even when she left the Hound and took a ship, her initial destination was the Wall.  It was only because that was out of reach that she went to Braavos.  Jaqen may have thought it was possible for her to go to the House of Black & White, but I doubt he thought it was likely.

I think he might have lost track of her when she got out,  at least for a time. I don't know,  at least it was not important to him to offer her a safe place,  or deliver her to the lannisters if he did know. 

When it comes to Jaqen I wonder if the FM have visions too,  like Melisandre and BR. I think they might,  and they might have known Arya would come to Braavos at some point. BR doesn't really put that much effort into giving Bran an escort either. 

Anyway the candles in the HoBW smell like "home" to Arya,  and Brain's weirwood paste and Dany's drink before entering the HotU have similar tastes,  so these things seem to be related to visions,  and could be considered visions by itself. 

16 hours ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

One the most interesting things about Varys is that he knows almost everything,  but chooses to tell very little. He lets a lot of things happen without doing anything about them,  and often you find out much later he knew about it. 

I guess I see Arya as being a very valuable bargaining chip. Knowing that Varys is planning to put Young Griff on the Throne I find it extremely hard to believe he would let a resource like that walk off. Even if he felt he had absolutely no use for her, you would think he would want to deprive his enemies of the chance to snag Arya and use her to their own ends.

16 hours ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

Why doesn't he tell Ned/Cat that the dagger was Robert's if he wanted to prevent the war/Tyrion's arrest? 

You could speculate that he wanted to destabilize the realm for (f)Aegon's conquest.

The cold hard truth of the matter though, is there is no proof that Varys had knowledge of Arya's whereabouts. The fact that Varys does tend to know a lot means it is possible, and open to speculation but the same could be said about ANYTHING. Maybe he knew that Bran and Rickon are Alive. Maybe he knows Duncan the Tall was never knighted by Ser Arlan. Maybe he knew Tysha really was a crofter's daughter...

Other than the fact that it is possible, what proof is there that it is true?

17 hours ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

I don't have any love for Varys and think he is as bad as LF or worse, but this one is unfair. 

1) He couldn't assume Cat's stupidity in capturing heir of House of Paramount out of nowhere, and to provoke Tywin's action who would never stand for it. Nor he would assume Lysa worse stupidity (or LF plan) in allowing Tyrion go free and freeing Tywin's hand.

2) If he told Ned/Cat that dagger was Robert's or Joffrey's and that King himself was trying to assassinate his son, you think that would have prevented war? On contrary, that would have forced Ned to accuse Iron Throne in trying to kill his son in a huff, resign his position and put North against the Westeros anyway. The war would have started there and then.

Archived