RIO 16 - Best bits

Which Tyler

3 hours ago, Guess who's back said:

Wow, instead of bringing the best, we should bring diversity. That's what Olympics are all about isn't it?

You just trolling or what? Those were the best and that's what makes it great. In years past there would have been some excuse to leave one or more of them behind.

2 hours ago, lacuna said:
  1. 100 m backstroke, M&W , 6 medals
  2. 200 m backstroke, M&W , 6 medals
  3. 100 m breaststroke, M&W , 6 medals
  4. 200 m breaststroke, M&W , 6 medals
  5. 100 m butterfly, M&W , 6 medals
  6. 200 m butterfly, M&W , 6 medals
  7. 50 m freestyle, M&W , 6 medals
  8. 100 m freestyle, M&W , 6 medals
  9. 200 m freestyle, M&W , 6 medals
  10. 400 m freestyle, M&W , 6 medals
  11. 1500 m freestyle, men , 3 medals
  12. 800 m freestyle, women , 3 medals
  13. 200 m medley, M&W , 6 medals
  14. 400 m medley, M&W , 6 medals
  15. 4x100 m relay freestyle, M&W , 24 medals
  16. 4x200 m relay freestyle, M&W , 24 medals
  17. 4x100 m relay medley, M&W , 24 medals
  18. Marathon, M&W , 6 medals

Please correct my math/info if it's wrong, but I think that's a total of 156 medals.

Insane.

Ok, do us all a favor, how many medals are available for running?

100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 15000 m, marathon, half marathon, relays etc etc etc etc.

4 hours ago, Guess who's back said:

Wow, instead of bringing the best, we should bring diversity. That's what Olympics are all about isn't it?

Well, yes. That's why most sports have a limit on how many entrants per country are allowed.

3 hours ago, lacuna said:
  1. 4x100 m relay freestyle, M&W , 24 medals
  2. 4x200 m relay freestyle, M&W , 24 medals
  3. 4x100 m relay medley, M&W , 24 medals

Please correct my math/info if it's wrong, but I think that's a total of 156 medals.

Insane.

Relays are still just 3 medals each. It´s not like you´d ever account for example football for 100+ medals either.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 15000 m, marathon, half marathon, relays etc etc etc etc.

Sure, more procrastination.

1. 100 m, M&W 6 medals
  2. 200 m, M&W 6 medals
  3. 400 m, M&W 6 medals
  4. 800 m, M&W 6 medals
  5. 1500 m, M&W 6 medals
  6. 5000 m, M&W 6 medals
  7. 10 000 m, M&W 6 medals
  8. 3000 m steeplechase, M&W 6 medals
  9. 4x100 m, M&W 6 medals
  10. 4x200 m, M&W 6 medals
  11. 110/100 m, M&W 6 medals
  12. 400 m hurdles, M&W 6 medals
  13. Marathon, M&W 6 medals

A total of 78 medals.

There are also running components in the decathlon/septathlon, but...

No way are we including race walking, right?

9 minutes ago, Andriy Czarchenko said:

Relays are still just 3 medals each. It´s not like you´d ever account for example football for 100+ medals either.

For the purposes of more procrastination, sure I would. :D But, fair enough. I got too literal there. 102 medals total for swimming, then.

5 hours ago, baxus said:

On the bolded part, it greatly depends on the person watching. For example, I love watching swimming and find it very entertaining and fascinating. Quite a few people around the world share my sentiment.

Someone else may find American football entertaining and fascinating while I find it a tedious drag of three hours for 10 minutes of game time.

The thing about that is that the viewers are ones with remotes in their hands and can change the channel to find something more to their liking. And at today's day and age, with all the streaming available, it's even easier to find stuff to watch.

Saying swimming should be modified so you'd enjoy it more is so ridiculous I'm lost for words.

I'm not at all suggesting that swimming should be modified simply to change the entertainment value. That would be ridiculous. My point is that given its sheer duration and therefore the time dedicated to it on most of the broadcasting channels, as is the case in my country, we don't get to see the other athletes unless they win a medal (in which case we get to see really brief highlights). Sometimes they don't show sports where South Africa doesn't have athletes, they automatically broadcast swimming, which is a default at this point. People don't have access to these other alternatives you mention so the remote control isn't of much help.

I don't think anyone has ever got 3 individual medals in 3 different events in running. Not even in multiple Olympics. In swimming the same athletes battle it out for most of the races. 

I think the most one athlete can get is 3 at a time.

And athletics gives out medals for javelin throw, discus throw, hammer throw, shot put, pole vault, high jump...

All that is besides the point. The number of Olympic medals in a sport has no influence on whether the sport should be revised or not.

Just imagine if we rounded up all the athletes competing in boxing, judo, wrestling taekwando and any other martial arts sports I may have missed and say: "You guys have 3 medals for men and 3 medals for women. Guess what? No weight categories either. Have fun."

2 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I'm not at all suggesting that swimming should be modified simply to change the entertainment value. That would be ridiculous. My point is that given its sheer duration and therefore the time dedicated to it on most of the broadcasting channels, as is the case in my country, we don't get to see the other athletes unless they win a medal (in which case we get to see really brief highlights). Sometimes they don't show sports where South Africa doesn't have athletes, they automatically broadcast swimming, which is a default at this point. People don't have access to these other alternatives you mention so the remote control isn't of much help.

Then what you need to do is contact your network and see what's up with their broadcasting schedule, not try to revise the sport.

Swimming is among THE events of the Olympics, along with athletics and gymnastics. That's why it's being broadcast so much.

5 minutes ago, Guess who's back said:

I don't think anyone has ever got 3 individual medals in 3 different events in running. Not even counting 1 Olympics. In swimming the same athletes battle it out for most of the races. 

Bolt won 100m, 200m and 4x100m in pretty much every major competition he's been in.

You have an American gymnast win 4 gold medals and 1 bronze, and she's hardly the first one to win multiple medals at single Olympics. Why don't we revise gymnastics?

I'm having the same problem with my national broadcasting company. Thank Heavens that our tennis players got knocked out early, otherwise one couldn't guess Olympics were happening from all the tennis on TV. That doesn't mean I should try to get tennis to change.

14 minutes ago, Guess who's back said:

I don't think anyone has ever got 3 individual medals in 3 different events in running. Not even in multiple Olympics. In swimming the same athletes battle it out for most of the races. 

With current events Paavo Nurmi won 10k and took silver in 5k  and steeplechase at Amsterdam 1928. Also took 3 individual golds in 1920 and 1924 if we count the cross country, which was removed after 1924 for being way too grueling. In total Nurmi had individual golds in 1500, 5000, 10000, 3000 steeplechase and cross country. Then he wasn´t allowed to take part in 1932 because Swden got him declared professional. He very likely would have won Marathon there.

5 minutes ago, baxus said:

Bolt won 100m, 200m and 4x100m in pretty much every major competition he's been in.

Bolt has been part of winning 4x100m, the winner is Jamaica.

Phelps competed in eight different events in the 2008 Olympics, and took gold in all. In what other sport does one athlete get eight bites at the apple? Yes, Phelps is clearly a demigod and we should worship him, but is there nothing (apart from common sense) to stop one swimmer from competing in 17 different events?

18 minutes ago, baxus said:

And athletics gives out medals for javelin throw, discus throw, hammer throw, shot put, pole vault, high jump...

I don't think this is correct taxonomy. Comparing the discus throw to high jump is like comparing water polo to the 400 m medley. Discus and high jump go under athletics, water polo and 400 medley go under water sports.

No-one's suggesting reducing swimming to one event only - that is a straw-man.

IMO there is too much overlap between thee different swimming events, and I'd like to see a reduction. 1 swimmer can compete, and earn medals in 10 events in one games, the closest that any other sport comes is probably gymnastics, where there's a potential for 6 (women's, and happens) or 8 ( men's, and unheard of).

i can name 3 swimmers off the top of my head who have earned more than 6 medals at one meethave a look at the lists of multiple-medals-in-one-games, guess which sport dominates?

You like swimming, and the overlap, and that's fine, others don't, that's fine too. Anyome here's opinion on this is as relevant to Tue powers that be, as our opinions on whether tennis or golf should be in the Olympics.

Out of interest, I'd have no problem with reducing men's gymnastics to 4 apparatus, I'd personally favour removing the 50m and 200m events from swimming, but its an entirely personal opinion.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

I think the most an athlete can get (now) at a time is 3 medals. The events are too varied to allow a single athlete to easily navigate between them. You can get a decathlete or heptathlete but it's most likely that person will only be competing in that one event for the entire Olympics. So after 7 and 10 events, one woman and man get one medal each. Track and field are far too different from one another, and the events within each are also too different. For example, Wayde Van Niekerk wasn't so good with the 100m. But the 400m has the bends and he does better at those than other athletes, he also has the stamina to endure it, but not enough to endure the 800 or 1500m. I can't speak to the technical differences between breastroke, freestyle, whatever...but just from the Olympics, it seems that it's easier to adapt between these disciplines than it is with athletics. Even Bolt, considered among the greatest track athletes of all time, can't handle more than 3 events.

1 minute ago, Andriy Czarchenko said:

Bolt has been part of winning 4x100m, the winner is Jamaica.

So what?

Phelps won quite a few relay medals. They still count in his total medal count just as do Bolt's.

Just now, lacuna said:

Phelps competed in eight different events in the 2008 Olympics, and took gold in all. In what other sport does one athlete get eight bites at the apple? Yes, Phelps is clearly a demigod and we should worship him, but is there nothing (apart from common sense) to stop one swimmer from competing in 17 different events?

I don't think this is correct taxonomy. Comparing the discus throw to high jump is like comparing water polo to the 400 m medley. Discus and high jump go under athletics, water polo and 400 medley goes under water sports.

In men's gymnastics an athlete can win 8 medals if he's REALLY good, just as Phelps was in Beijing.

6 different apparatus, individual all-round and team's all-round.

The main difference being that Phelps got a chance to win more team golds (3 relays) than a gymnast would (only 1 all-round).

The thing is, that 8 medals was an incredible achievement. One that no one has managed before and most probably no one will repeat for a while. It's not as if it happens every time.

1 minute ago, baxus said:

So what?

Phelps won quite a few relay medals. They still count in his total medal count just as do Bolt's.

That´s because you´re mixing up medalist and winner. Phelps is 23 times gold medalist, he´s 13 time winner. It´s exactly the same as in team sports with relays, multiple medalists but the winner is the team.

3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

IMO there is too much overlap between thee different swimming events, and I'd like to see a reduction. 1 swimmer can compete, and earn medals in 10 events in one games, the closest that any other sport comes is probably gymnastics, where there's a potential for 6 (women's, and happens) or 8 ( men's, and unheard of).

Sure, you have athletes competing in and/or winning medals in multiple events in swimming but what does that have to do with anything? You have the same in athletics, gymnastics and some other sports.

In theory, the number of swimming events an athlete can take part and win medals in is limited only by the number of events for athlete's gender. That is as unheard of as a swimmer winning a medal in 10 events. The most medals a swimmer won in Olympics is 8, with second being 7 medals decades before that. Sure, some athletes won 5 medals in Olympics and great job to them.

7 minutes ago, baxus said:

So what?

In men's gymnastics an athlete can win 8 medals if he's REALLY good, just as Phelps was in Beijing.

6 different apparatus, individual all-round and team's all-round.

The main difference being that Phelps got a chance to win more team golds (3 relays) than a gymnast would (only 1 all-round).

The thing is, that 8 medals was an incredible achievement. One that no one has managed before and most probably no one will repeat for a while. It's not as if it happens every time.

I guess Phelps's brilliance has people questioning what should and shouldn't be possible. Not fair in a way, since the guy is obviously just that good.

Archived