US Elections: Groper in Chief

Martell Spy

1 minute ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Umm.....that's kind of the point? NYT predicted using exit polls, that Clinton would win, and they were wrong? How exactly are these polls reliable now?

I think after this election polling is never going to be taken seriously again. 

2 hours ago, Week said:

Completely unrelated to the voting for the presidency. You brought up her vote for Trump was related to taxes - how is this relevant to her vote for Trump?

Conservatives have a reputation for support tax cuts for the rich and for business which have consistent lead to poor growth and great income inequality. Are you really arguing that Liberals typically support more regressive tax policies? I agree they support generally higher taxes, however suggesting (with a broad brush) that liberals support regressive taxes as a matter of policy is either incorrect or dishonest.

Donald Trump is a Republican and they cut taxes.

Sin Taxes are a regressive Neo-Liberal based tax scheme purported to be for the benefit of the one paying it.  

My sister personally like Donald Trump. She thinks he says and does some stupid things.  Also much of the criticism against him is hypocritical much of the time.  She also has a dislike of Hillary which comes as a person who are around others who listening to Conservative media sources.

You talk to her individually and she is more open than she may claim to be.  She just set to be skeptical of anything lead to higher taxes.  You can be righteously angry and ignore her.  You can accept this view and know you have address it even if there is some unfair bias.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Lost in the shuffle of everything else, I just saw that voters in Maine approved a referendum to implement ranked choice voting beginning in 2018. Very cool. And, considering how often there's strong third party challengers in Maine, particularly useful for the state.

Extremely, cool.  I'd love to see that here in SC.

2018 Senate races, looks like Ds will throw all their money at AZ/NV/TX

otoh with alot of governors up for four year terms in 2018, and redistricting happening after 2020 elections, govs and the state legislatures might be far more important than a few senate races

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yup. :)

You mentioned the other day a constitutional convention. How would representation for such a thing work?

40 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

A lot can change in 2 years.

I know I offered to kiss and make up last night, but if you look at that information Commodore so smugly supplied and see anything other than a clear Republican supermajority you are being delusional at best.

I may not know how long House seats are held, but I do know that Democrats do not show up at midterms. 

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Latino groups argue exit polls were too generous to Trump

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/latino-groups-exit-polls-donald-trump-231268

One Person Shot at Anti-Trump Rally in Oregon as Protests Continue Across U.S.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/12/one_shot_at_anti_trump_rally_in_oregon_as_protests_continue_across_u_s.html

A Million Women Are Planning to March on D.C. When Trump Takes Office

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/11/a-million-women-to-march-on-d-c-when-trump-takes-office.html

Why isn't Obama saying something to the people about this? We hasn't he made a public address disavowing violent protest?

I've seen videos people are posting on youtube, beating up Trump voters, using it as an excuse for violence. Your country needs to do something before the other side starts getting violent as well.

Someday, somebody will write an interesting book about how in the world Trump went from tabloid billionaire to President in one and a half years and without ever holding a political or military role. The latter is literally unprecedented: every US President before him had held at least one of the following roles: General, Vice-President, Secretary (usually of State, though there was one of Commerce and one of War), Senator, Minister (i.e. Ambassador), Governor or Representative. Trump's prior role on the same list is described as "Chairman of The Trump Organization" which is pretty amusing.

Someday, somebody will also write an interesting book (perhaps including the word "Trumped" in the title) describing how the Clinton campaign managed to lose this race despite having more of everything that usually matters by a factor of two or more. When they do, both books might include this interesting tidbit: when the Clinton campaign was getting going in April 2015, they wanted Trump (and Cruz and Carson) to be as successful as possible in the Republican primary. They called them the "Pied Piper" candidates who would force the real candidates (Bush, Rubio, Walker, Jindal, Paul and Christie) to move the right during the primary thereby making themselves less electable in the general. They also came up with ideas on how to undermine each of the more established candidates (the full plan is in a PDF attachment to this email).

There wasn't a plan to undermine Trump or any other Pied Piper candidate back then -- presumably they couldn't imagine the Republicans would actually go so far as to nominate one of them. Of course, their strategy succeeded beyond their wildest dreams (well, except for one tiny problem at the very end of the campaign...).

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don't know that I buy the closet mysogeny argument.  I know too many strong women from both sides of the aisle who strongly dislike Sec. Clinton to buy that it is purely mysogeny.

I know a lot of women who absolutely are misogynistic about Clinton. Women can hate other women too. 

Archived