NFL 2016 Week 13: Bigger, Stronger, Faster to IR

Tywin et al.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Handsome Jimmy's stock will never be higher. I bet Belichick gets his asking price, and some sucker GM will lament ever doing business with him.  

I imagine his first phone call starts off like this: "Hey Sashi, if you liked that Jamie Collins trade, have I got one hell of a deal for you..."

46 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Pats want a 1st and fourth for Jimmy G.

Hey, if the Vikes gave up the same to get an average at best QB this year, surely someone will jump on this, no?

Bradford actually played fairly well this year, especially when you consider that we had the second most injured O-Line I've ever seen (Charges had a really mangled O-Line a few years ago), no healthy weapons and terrible play calling. And it's not like he's a one year rental. I'm still fairly certain the Bridgewater is finished. 

4 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Pats want a 1st and fourth for Jimmy G.

Hey, if the Vikes gave up the same to get an average at best QB this year, surely someone will jump on this, no?

Probably, but who?

Texans and Vikings have played their hands.

Bills and Jets would be potentially great fits but it's intra-division and if the Patriots are willing to give them Garoppolo then it's hard to imagine either team continuing to want him. 

49ers and Browns need a QB but they seem too far away from being decent to be spending draft picks on someone else's QB they'd have to give a big contract to instead of drafting their own. 

Someone's blinking before a deal gets done with the Broncos. 

Honestly, I think it's up to the Bears. And that's assuming they don't think Barkley is a good cheap option or draft someone. 

It makes one wonder about Peyton's last year in Denver:  statistically, he had a shitty year.  But maybe he hid big mistakes in some kind of big way which allowed them to win with a great D in a way that turned out not to be possible with Simien/Lynch.

6 minutes ago, sperry said:

Well, they just wasted the best defense in the league, so I'd say that's not very accurate.

Are you talking about Denver or Minnesota?

22 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Probably, but who?

Texans and Vikings have played their hands.

Bills and Jets would be potentially great fits but it's intra-division and if the Patriots are willing to give them Garoppolo then it's hard to imagine either team continuing to want him. 

49ers and Browns need a QB but they seem too far away from being decent to be spending draft picks on someone else's QB they'd have to give a big contract to instead of drafting their own. 

Someone's blinking before a deal gets done with the Broncos. 

Honestly, I think it's up to the Bears. And that's assuming they don't think Barkley is a good cheap option or draft someone. 

Browns are the most logical choice, with plenty of draft picks (2 1st rounders) and cap space to spare. Maybe the Cards are ready to move on from Palmer and get a young QB? Or it could carry over into OTAs or camp and he could be moved like Bradford if a team has an injury occur. The Hoodie is gonna play this one cool and wait for what he wants, that much is sure.

7 minutes ago, sperry said:

Well, they just wasted the best defense in the league, so I'd say that's not very accurate.

Didn't the same thing happen in Minnesota this year with their top rated defense?

23 minutes ago, Triskan said:

It makes one wonder about Peyton's last year in Denver:  statistically, he had a shitty year.  But maybe he hid big mistakes in some kind of big way which allowed them to win with a great D in a way that turned out not to be possible with Simien/Lynch.

I think it was more just the defense was all time great last year and now is just pretty good (great against the pass, bad against the run). 

On 12/27/2016 at 6:59 PM, Rockroi said:

And I agree with that, but my point is not what his record is, but what people PERCEIVE his record to be. 

And you know who is guilty of this? 

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were to ask me after Ryan was fired from the Jets what his record was against Belichick I would have probably said, "Well, they always play the Pats strong; I know they lost that game in 2009, then in 2010 I know the Pats split that series, and then the Pats lost that playoff game so, I would say 6 - 7 (it was 4-9)." 

Even I think Ryan is better than he is.  But my major point that when you compare Ryan to the majority of men who have coached n the NFL, he's ... not any better.  Statistically, he's just as competent as Edwards and Mangini etc (actually he's slightly worse).  No better.  So, by that metric, Ryan is, by definition, overrated.  

Which leads me to this: in a perfect world, I end up agreeing with you.  THis is NOT because Ryan is actually a good coach, but because I actually think that coaches get fired WAYYYYYYY too quickly in this league. And for all the wrong reasons- usually because its one of the few things that an owner can do IMMEDIATELY that can energize a fan-base (most other things - exciting draft picks, restructuring one side of the ball, new play calling etc) take far too long to pay dividends And in that regard, I think that teams should hold onto coaches longer than they do. My point was that the same system that fired Wade Philips after a 8-8 season (and NOBODY complained or thought it was a "mistake") is the same one that can justifiably fire Ryan.

But this is NOT a perfect world.  In this world owners fire coaches like Rex Ryan all the time.  Its just that when they are called Wandstadt, Phillips and Edwards... nobody cares.  

At the same point in his career that Rex Ryan is today, Tom Landry was 44-61-5. I am with you in the belief that coaches are fired far too soon in the NFL in these days. The teams I am most impressed with about there coaches today is the Bengals, Steelers, and even my Cowboys. All of them are allowing bumps in the road for the sake of consistency, and for the most part it all seems to be working out better than the coaching carousel.  

11 hours ago, sperry said:

Minnesota's defense imploded.

Again, injuries. Seriously, there isn't a single team in the league that could have succeeded with the same injuries the Vikings had this season. 

So the ticker is telling me that Romo will play Sunday.  What's the thinking there?  Just to get him some game action so he's not completely cold if he has to come in during the playoffs?

Archived